The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

On pork and the Islamic world, it's easy to imagine all Islamic countries are like Saudi Arabia in having a strict Islamic legal code which prohibits many things and that Muslim people are religious hard liners when in fact many Muslim countries have legal codes not that dissimilar to ours and most people in those countries in my experience are just regular people who bend rules the same as people anywhere do when they have a fondness for a little naughty treat. My wife is from an Islamic country (though not Muslim) and pork is very widely available there, as is alcohol. Similarly it always amused me to see the popularity of bacon sandwiches among local staff when I was working off Israel a few years ago.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The UK and the US have always been close allies - especially during and after WWII, but I don't think the US - UK relationship today is anything more "special" than that the US has with other, reliable, Western Allies.

Which ones would those be Flavio?

There is no question in my mind that relative to nations on and around the European continent, the political relationship between the US and the UK remains closer than any other.

All nations have "interests" and the interests of the UK and the US are more closely aligned than any other in the region - particularly after a certain UK referendum.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

..... I just encountered the most delightful (and rather nice 🤪) young lady Courier working for DPD.  Not only was she bang on time, she spoke in a perfect and extremely polite manner (despite having an obviously foreign accent).  There were lots of phrases like "Good Evening Sir**", "May I", "Thank You So Much" and "Goodnight".  Unless she's doing the job as a stop-gap/in-fill then she's totally wasted being a Courier.  First Class - and a very nice change from some of the Neanderthals I have encountered.

I predict @polybear will be ordering a lot more "stuff" to be delivered by DPD in the next few days .......

2 hours ago, polybear said:

(** Hmmm, "Sir Bear".  Kinda has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you agree Puppers? @PupCam 🤣)

Hmmm.   Bear seems to be getting ideas above his station!

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

46 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.  It snaad. Only a little, the high road was like this:

509365561_20221209_1439351.jpg.b3b92edb83e33bea186976f5669aba61.jpg

The lower roads were an inch of slush, but that didn't stop a FWD moron rolling his vehicle on to its roof on the TT course road and delaying my journey. Pah.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 88C said:

Sorry to say, no. If the police have been round they haven’t let me know. As soon as I hear anything I will post on here.

Brian

I'd be most dismayed (other words are available.....) if they haven't been round - and if they have then they most definitely should've let you know the outcome, unless of course if Chris asked them not to (which I can't imagine for one moment would be the case).

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Wikipedia:

Brittney Griner 'possessed' two vape cartridges of 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil, totaling 0.702 grams.

Many thanks for the info; it just goes to prove (to me at least) that she was totally stitched up in order that Russia could use her as a bargaining chip.  There is some truth in the view that if she didn't have the oil/broken the law in the first place then it wouldn't have happened at all; personally I suspect she'd been ear-marked (being a high profile individual) and something would've been found/invented anyway.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I predict @polybear will be ordering a lot more "stuff" to be delivered by DPD in the next few days .......

The idea of Bear arranging home collection for parcels being sent to myself had already crossed my mind.......🤣 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Beginning to feel a bit chilly now, the thingy at the bottom of the screen shows -4C. The thermometers I have scattered around the house show a comfortable 19 to 21 degrees C. The house is very well insulated anyway. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which ones would those be Flavio?

Germany, France, Japan, Italy, The Netherlands…..

Beng a reliable ally means a two way collaboration on matters of mutual interest, it doesn’t mean doing everything the US Government of the time wants them to do, when the US Government of the time wants them to do it.

As you say, every country has its own interests and the US administration shouldn’t get bent out of shape when democratic countries decide not to march to the US drum.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Hmmm.   Bear seems to be getting ideas above his station!

It wouldn’t be the first time Puppers, I remember him pontificating about culinary matters comme c'est amusant! 🤣

But he’s a good egg (despite his fondness for oven chips - but then again we all have our faults, don’t we?)

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Have you ever tried to take Haggis to the USA?

If I recall correctly, it’s prohibited because a real traditional Haggis contains things (like lungs) which are prohibited in the US from being used in meat products.

The prohibition is not due to any particular anti-Scottish feeling (which would be a bit absurd given that an awful lot of Americans proudly claim to have Scottish forebears), but because of unscrupulous meat packing companies who would bulk out their “meat” products with the sweepings from the abattoir floor. This particular bit of food legislation dates back to the early part of the last century, when you really didn’t want to know what went into the can. Last time I checked, It’s never been amended.

A final thought, US law -like UK law (and the law in many other countries) - contains a lot of obsolete, sometimes centuries old, legislation that’s never been repealed. The standard explanation as to why these laws still remain on the books is that governments have much more pressing matters to attend to. I reckon it’s because if the government can’t “get you” with modern laws, they can dig out something from the 16th or 17th century and nobble you with that!….

Pc @jamie92208 (for it is he) “I’m arresting you for having committed the offence of wearing an obscenely worded “***** the government” T-Shirt contrary to the acceptable public decorum act of 1775 which prohibits the “the wearing of garb that may inflame or offend public sensitivities”

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

3 hours sleep then long awake as brain locked onto problem of the wiper failure. Since then a couple of short sleeps.

Decision, take as little apart as possible to find out the fault , as I'll have to order the parts anyway.

The land rovers wiper uses a flexible spiral shaft which rotates, one way or another.image.png.8ea9989dcb91db7f707eef0ae95a194d.png

The view with the heater controls to the right of the drivers binacle and the binacle removed. That's that metal spiral running across the picture. The spiral engages with a cog wheel on the shaft that the wiper arm engages with.

So the since the passenger wiper works, it can be the shaft has broken or stripped after the passenger wiper cog, or the cog has stripped, or the shaft from cog to wiper arm has snapped or the  adapter on the cog shaft to  fit the wiper arm.

The wiper arm to cog shaft adaptor would be the miracle fault, the cheapest and easiest bit to replace as it's outside the body shell.

If not after undoing the drivers instrument binacle,  hopefully I can see the spiral shaft

The complete kit for a wiper system.

image.png.ea3d913044c527dedb908bb57129fafe.png

Ben the I want out Collie was early and insistent.. so we've been on a full patrol, and he found a very interesting scent to follow round the garden.

It's white out there, Naa Snaa, but a very very heavy white frost on everything, there is also gof, the bottom of the garden is visible, but the gof is silencing everything .

I'm again wrapped up on the sofa defrosting .

Breakfast today will include bacon, as I stopped on the way to the MRC to pick some up amongst other items. There was no worry of it getting too hot being left in the Landrover while I was in the MRC.

Time to consider heading for that bacon.

Oh the haggis ban? Things have changed

https://www.politico.eu/article/scottish-haggis-exports-to-us-remain-stalled-on-burns-night/#:~:text=A decades-long U.S. ban,right way on January 25.

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A final thought, US law -like UK law (and the law in many other countries) - contains a lot of obsolete, sometimes centuries old, legislation that’s never been repealed. The standard explanation as to why these laws still remain on the books is that governments have much more pressing matters to attend to. I reckon it’s because if the government can’t “get you” with modern laws, they can dig out something from the 16th or 17th century and nobble you with that!….

Pc @jamie92208 (for it is he) “I’m arresting you for having committed the offence of wearing an obscenely worded “***** the government” T-Shirt contrary to the acceptable public decorum act of 1775 which prohibits the “the wearing of garb that may inflame or offend public sensitivities”

Teresa May wheeled out an old act of Parliament dating back to the time of Henry VIII a few years ago. The act was to enable him to chop off Anne Bolyne's head off.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8