The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I visited the RAF museum in Hendon yesterday and was rather disappointed. The collection is world class, but the presentation is dreadful. It used to be a wonderful museum,

The Science Museum in London has gone the same way - a shadow of it's former self........

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was no mention of such a charge and the auction is on-line only. The only extra charge will be postal.

I found it in their T's & C's:

The Purchase Price:
As Buyer, you will pay: a) the Hammer Price; b) a premium of 20% of the Hammer Price if bidding in the room, telephone bidding or leaving a commission bid and when bidding via SAS LIVE; an additional 5% premium will be charged for all bidding via the online platform the-saleroom; c.) any artist’s resale right royalty payable on the sale of the Lot; and d) any VAT due.

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry we are getting rid of all our museums as they are sexist, colononist, and something else that I can't remember at this moment in time but do know its got isum at the end of it. Trouble is there's such an awful lot of them and only so many right on, screaming mobs. But I'm confident the'll get there in the end.

Bear wonders how long it'll be before we have a Museum of Political Correctness?

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

I’ve decided to make the most of a dry day and change the waste pipework under the kitchen sink. I’m hoping it will only take a couple of hours (if that).......

Now if a certain Bear had a quid for every time I've said - or even thought that........

Bear here......

Coving painted - tick; mdf rose painted - tick; parcel collected (by Postie Patricia) - tick - who also delivered a certain Bear's recent ebay purchase of a brass & whitemetal thingy that'll need soldering together - tick.

In other news....

Bear has decided to cross off, sorry, not to add Port au Prince to the Bucket List; there's so much gang crime there (5-10 kidnappings a day) that the President can't even get to work. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You forgot "racist" and "able-ist"

There's probably a "species-ist" in there somewhere.

Bear's Ponder of the Day:

Is White a Colour?

If so, then doesn't that make Bear a Bear of Colour?

Or is it easier just to go and lie down until the ponder goes away?

Confused.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Ponder of the Day:

Is White a Colour?

If so, then doesn't that make Bear a Bear of Colour?

Or is it easier just to go and lie down until the ponder goes away?

Confused.

Polar Bears are distinctly off-white, tending to yellowish.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I have to say I have the same thoughts about some museums as others here.  All I'll say on the subject is that having just needed to write a new will two places which were originally going to have bequests will now get nothing, everything will now go to some not very close relatives.

Have you entered into dialogue with the museums in question, for you to understand what is driving their actions, and for them to understand your concerns? A meeting of minds might save your distant relatives from unexpected bounty.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I have to say I have the same thoughts about some museums as others here.  All I'll say on the subject is that having just needed to write a new will two places which were originally going to have bequests will now get nothing, everything will now go to some not very close relatives.

Another alternative are the huge range of Charities - Medical Research, Hospices, Animal Rescue etc. etc.  They also have the advantage of being rather useful when it comes to IHT.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I found it in their T's & C's:

The Purchase Price:
As Buyer, you will pay: a) the Hammer Price; b) a premium of 20% of the Hammer Price if bidding in the room, telephone bidding or leaving a commission bid and when bidding via SAS LIVE; an additional 5% premium will be charged for all bidding via the online platform the-saleroom; c.) any artist’s resale right royalty payable on the sale of the Lot; and d) any VAT due.

I see what you mean but all my bids are commission bids to which it doesn't apply.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I have been to the big city today, Chelmsford rather than Southend. I delivered my car for its MoT and service. I said I would return tomorrow for it, I don’t want to sit in rush hour traffic tonight. A fault in the traffic news update decided to occur while driving there. So I asked then to sort it out if possible. Hopefully it will still show the fault when they look at it. I think the SIM card socket is faulty but they can sort it out. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Polar Bears are distinctly off-white, tending to yellowish.

I saw something recently that suggested all polar bears are descended from a single female brown bear from Ireland. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

On the way back, Aditi parked at what passes for the centre of Benfleet so I coyote get out and post all the cards she had written. The post box was rammed full but I managed to get our few in. On the way back I saw the seasonal skip had arrived.

61345C90-E6BB-4123-94A9-18AF158F0281.jpeg.4c945d47de9e8820a417158258c88c32.jpeg

Once home I was persuaded to cut the front lawn ( it isn’t exactly a big job). I then had to bait and arm some mouse traps. Aditi thinks something is in her garden machinery shed. The newspaper on the floor had been shredded since she last mowed their lawn. Perhaps now that the summerhouse is rodent resistant they have a new home. 
Tony

Do coyotes meet polar bears? is it a cause of yellow?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Back now, all scanned up.    I wonder what the results will reveal (other than I'm older and far more worn out than I'd like to think I am!)

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Museums - oh yeah, went to the NRM a few years ago - ruined.  Displays removed and a cafe in its place, in the roundhouse FFS, and 'interpretive' rubbish that mostly didn't work and was only fine for a 5 year old when it did.  Jodrell Donk Bank was much the same, so disappointed. 

P1010539.JPG.aed66e0d13ebebb69133b898e425c904.JPG

I've not been to JB but hope to go at some point in the relatively near future.  A good friends son-in-law ish (it's complicated ....) has relatively recently started working there as a radio astronomer.    Puppers is hoping to get a special guided tour at some point but whether that will be possible I don't know.

The Science Museum in London has gone the same way - a shadow of it's former self........

Puppers visited both Hendon and the Science museum a few years ago after a long absence.    Is sacrilege for what has been done to "Enhance the visitor experience" (Yeah, right) at these places an inappropriate word?    No, I don't think so, IMVHO I think it is spot-on.   I'll not be rushing back soon.

Is White a Colour?

Scientifically speaking, no and neither is black.

53 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

One of the three things I was taught about getting older was never to trust a fart.

Billy Connell's second rule I believe.     His first being that "men over 50 should never pass a working toilet" and his third being "due to rarity, never waste an erection".

I think Billy is very observant and has got this thing called life well sorted .......

38 minutes ago, DaveF said:

That's very sad isn't it?    I have to say that I had been wondering about what to do with my rather large, 80% complete, Sopwith Triplane.   It is highly unlikely that I will ever fly it now but I did consider at one stage finishing it off and offering it to the rather unique and much loved Shuttleworth Collection as a static exhibit.  A few years back it enjoyed posing with it's full-size brother at a few of the displays that I, as a member of the Dawn Patrol team, was invited to attend.   Happy days!  

393036385_TwoTripesPlusSmall.jpg.e3cad6a1699747d5c2a621ba660c1930.jpg

Well you may recall that I've been rather disappointed with some of the recent "developments" at the Collection and so, much like you David, that definitely won't be happening now.  That's probably good as I shouldn't imagine they'd want it as it doesn't involve a video screens, surround sound and an App.   I do fear for the Collection long-term.   I wonder if there's any connection with a piece on this webpage (a few entries up from the bottom) and some of the comments on museums above? 🤔  

Or maybe we are just museum dinosaurs that don't understand and the quicker we die out (and hence shut up) the better?

https://greaterlondonlieutenancy.com/boroughs/barnet/

Oh yes, it has come to my attention (thanks to the RMT) that there is a drive to close more (all?) station ticket offices by the railway companies.   I'd just like to state that I think that is a diabolical Pee Take of the highest order and yet another attempt to disenfranchise a significant percentage of the population who SIMPLY CAN'T do everything online.   BTW that's not a political statement or view its a fact and I believe facts are allowed on RMWeb.

TTFNQ

• Like 8
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Do coyotes meet polar bears? is it a cause of yellow?

Not sure how the spellchecker chose coyotes from however I misspelt “could”. I haven’t seen a coyote. When we stayed in Connecticut our friends didn’t let their cats out to prevent them becoming coyote snacks. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Big problem with museums ... queue rators.... no clue what it's about but they have the knowledge to screw it all up..

Baz

Ps good win for England cricket.. both ladies and men!!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

...snip... The utility companies here used to hang the transformers on the high-tension distribution poles and run a low voltage feed from there to the service entry point but now they seem to prefer ground level transformers. I think it has a lot to do with the price of copper.

Also due to the cost of installation and maintenance and the equipment needed (or not needed) to do so.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have also arranged with my solicitor that the will is to be reviewed every three years so I can easily make changes at minimal cost if I need to.

David

Of course now that you have all the relevant words then producing your own amended Will in the future (assuming changes are pretty straightforward - such as deleting and/or adding a beneficiary) is both no problem and also free; all you need to be sure to do is get the Will witnessed correctly, which is dead easy.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Scientifically speaking, no and neither is black.

So that kinda screws the latest P.C. description then.........

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

That's very sad isn't it?    I have to say that I had been wondering about what to do with my rather large, 80% complete, Sopwith Triplane.   It is highly unlikely that I will ever fly it now......

Now now, Puppers - you can't go wimpin' out now.......

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Oh yes, it has come to my attention (thanks to the RMT) that there is a drive to close more (all?) station ticket offices by the railway companies.   I'd just like to state that I think that is a diabolical Pee Take of the highest order and yet another attempt to disenfranchise a significant percentage of the population who SIMPLY CAN'T do everything online.  

And will no doubt make Stations (a) much more dangerous places - especially at night, and (b) even greater targets for vandalism.  T0ssers.

Bear here......

Coat No. 2 added to both the Coving and Ceiling Rose.  Tick.  I very much suspect that the Coving at least will need yet another coat (possibly 2) in order to hide the filled joints (they appear "shadowy" at the moment - but this will no doubt improve considerably once the latest coat has dried).

In other news......

Bear has done something really, really reckless 😲

I've put the Gas Fire on......😭

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has done something really, really reckless 😲

I've put the Gas Fire on......😭

There's snow in Baldock allegedly!   That's way too close for us Bear!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14