The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Homes in the US have 240 volts too. They have a  two-phase feed. Each phase is 120 volts 60Hz and they are displaced by 180 degrees from each other. Most power outlets are supplied with one or other phase and a neutral connection to give a 120 supply but high-power appliances like heaters and clothes dryers are fed from both phases to produce 240 volts. It's possible to have 240 volt outlets too. I have a couple in my shed for a fan heater and a welder.

Many homes here have 3 phase to power 415 Volt airconditioning units etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Many homes here have 3 phase to power 415 Volt airconditioning units etc.

You can get a 3-phase feed here too but I think it's a bit spendy. (Of course there is always the cheapo version where you tap into the feeds to two of your neighbors 😀)

The utility companies here used to hang the transformers on the high-tension distribution poles and run a low voltage feed from there to the service entry point but now they seem to prefer ground level transformers. I think it has a lot to do with the price of copper.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ordered a couple of items on-line today, both promised delivery before Christmas, we'll wait and see. I've also put in a few internet bids on this auction.

https://www.specialauctionservices.com/Auction-Calendar/2022/Trains-Galore?utm_campaign=564321_WoR SAS solus 3 Dec&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital&dm_i=73DL,C3FL,ZULM5,1GY09,1

Not too many though with a 20% buyers premium plus VAT.

Plus 4.95% + Vat for on-line commission, if my understanding is correct - meaning the fees start to become "significant".

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

We have 3 phase feed to the plot. It goes to the shed then therevis a switched 3 phase feed over to the house. Apparently  3 phase feeds were very common.  Known as La Force.  Our water heatervis now the only 3 phase appliance on the property.  There used to be a 3 phase supply all round the shed walls to feed woodworking machinery in the past all done in 6mm copper.  I've had a new distribution board added in the shed and the 3 phase wiring carries 240v single phase.  The original connection boxes are still on the wall and if I need a new set of sockets  i just replace the existing boxes.  

So just right for a nice 3ph. Lathe & Milling Machine then......

Bear here......

Not sure yet - think I may paint the coving, then fit the mdf ceiling rose + new pendant.  Postie Pat (or Patricia) is also due to collect a parcel from Bear Towers today - they'll also bring the label too, and all for n'owt (apart from the postage cost).  I like that idea - sadly I think they'll be charging for the service after Chrimbo though.

In other news.....

Remember Bear mentioning the guy who chased some scrotes when they tried to break into his house/garage - and he was the one who ended up doing time?  Well here it is:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/dad-held-in-herts-prison-and-appeared-on-24-hours-in-police-custody-after-chasing-robbers-tells-what-it-was-like-in-jail/ar-AA14SYA6?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=51b460f3e76e4bfb99cfc60fc77360ee

It seems that others are pretty p1ssed with the Judge as well, as a "Go Fund Me" page has already raised £167K.  And now it seems the scrotes are trying to sue the house owner/his insurance for £1M - hopefully that won't happen cos' the Judge at their own Trial stated they were substantially to blame for their own injuries.

I find the following words of interest:

"A police spokesman said: “This episode is an important reminder that people must not take the law into their own hands. The best thing to do when a crime is happening is to call 999.”

- well if people could be sure that (a) the Police would/can do more that just dish out a crime number for an insurance claim, and (b) the case actually reaches Court AND the Judge dishes out an appropriate (= to the victim's satisfaction) then maybe they'd be a bit more inclined to do so.

Bear gone

• Like 3
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit chilly this morning but with a north easterly wind the house is pretty well sheltered so its not to cold in the house.

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Plus 4.95% + Vat for on-line commission, if my understanding is correct - meaning the fees start to become "significant".

There was no mention of such a charge and the auction is on-line only. The only extra charge will be postal.

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Just came out if work, 35 degrees at 5pm  - that's more like it!

Don't rub it in!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't rub it in!

Got to make the most of it, apparently this summer will again be cooler than normal but  less wet than last year so I've got three months of mid  to high 20s to put up with. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

27 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Got to make the most of it, apparently this summer will again be cooler than normal but  less wet than last year so I've got three months of mid  to high 20s to put up with. 

Oh dear we are sorry for you. Not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

59 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I visited the RAF museum in Hendon yesterday and was rather disappointed. The collection is world class, but the presentation is dreadful. It used to be a wonderful museum, with a superb Battle of Britain hangar exhibit zone, then another wonderful century of flight hall before going into the bomber hall which had subdued lighting with spotlights. They scrapped the Battle of Britain Hall and replaced it with a new entrance plaza and randomized displays which seem intended to appeal to people with limited interest in aircraft though the Short Sunderland remains in that hangar. The century of flight exhibition, which was beautifully presented, has been replaced by a 1980's and onwards RAF exhibit which has some great exhibits very badly presented and feels rather lacklustre as a result. The old bomber hall remains but the lighting is not roof bright lights and it all feels very sterile, what is worse is it just seems to be randomised exhibits, stuff positioned in front of the aircraft, displayed where it's difficult to take pictures etc. And worst of all, some of it is downright shabby. There were rubbish skips under the wing of the Bf110, lots of tarpaulins over stuff in the display area and some of the most interesting exhibits were either in bits of just dropped on the floor in a way which was designed to limit interest. The final hall seemed a bit run down, though the wonderful Supermarine Southampton hull is still there. I am really hoping that they are rebuilding the bomber hall as otherwise it is a shambles, but the changes to the displays in recent years are awful and went from a wonderfully presented, themed style to, well, something else. The exception is the Grahame-White hangar of WW1 aircraft which is wonderful. It feels like a museum which has been 'improved' by a 'heritage professional' to make it more 'relevant'. The Cosford site is now a much better museum, if you can only visit one of the two sites make it Cosford. Maybe I was spoiled by visiting the Udvar-Hazy centre a few weeks ago, but 5 or 6 years ago the Hendon site was in the same class as Udvar-Hazy. Very sad.

The part of the RAF Museum at Hendon which remains truly outstanding in every way is the Grahame-White factory hangar. This displays WW1 era aircraft, the display is well laid out with good information on the exhibits and the collection is world class. Something that always amazes me is that people not only went up and fought dog fights in those things, but did it without parachutes. To call some of them flimsy would be understatement even by English standards of understatement. Despite my sense of disappointment at how the museum has evolved as a whole, this hangar, along with Lancaster S for Sugar and the Sunderland walk through mean it is still well worth the effort to visit.

Don't worry we are getting rid of all our museums as they are sexist, colononist, and something else that I can't remember at this moment in time but do know its got isum at the end of it. Trouble is there's such an awful lot of them and only so many right on, screaming mobs. But I'm confident the'll get there in the end.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

So just right for a nice 3ph. Lathe & Milling Machine then......

Of course, if someone wants to send me one to store rent free of course it would need to be connected up for routine testing.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry we are getting rid of all our museums as they are sexist, colononist, and something else that I can't remember at this moment in time but do know its got isum at the end of it. Trouble is there's such an awful lot of them and only so many right on, screaming mobs. But I'm confident the'll get there in the end.

You forgot "racist" and "able-ist"

There's probably a "species-ist" in there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, bloomin cold, 5c but bright, wind has razor blades in it.

Museums - oh yeah, went to the NRM a few years ago - ruined.  Displays removed and a cafe in its place, in the roundhouse FFS, and 'interpretive' rubbish that mostly didn't work and was only fine for a 5 year old when it did.  Jodrell Donk Bank was much the same, so disappointed.  The only good bit was when he modified it into a ray gun to zap Captain Cynical.

He missed.

Captain Cynical

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11