The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

That's annoying hit the wrong button and lost the below drivel.

Race one, 

At the two minutes to the start buzzer we unfurled the jib to find it wouldn't full open, it stayed furled at the bottom by about 2 turns distorting the sail....

Started in the right place , leeward end of the line, close to the river bank, out of the tide, with a wind from astern with a slight port bias.

Most boats popped their spinnakers as soon as the starting buzzer went, with my sailing compatriots dodgy leg,  we've decided to go for the non spinnaker trophy this year as he stands to handle the spinnaker..

The choice was right as the others didn't get that much in front.

At the first bend we transferred to the left hand side of the river as now the wind and a starboard bias.

On reaching buoy 4 we tacked round and sailed back.. Unfortunately with a twisted jib we just couldn't catch up.. and basically it was follow the leader for the rest of the race. We finished 5th but at least there were others behind us.

Race two, 

Jib sorted, we managed to be late for our preferred position at the start, we got trapped the wrong side of the river by other boats, very soon we were last...

It wasn't till the first bend we got to where we wanted, but we were then last..

In front of us, as we approached buoy 4, the outer boat at the buoy left one space inside.... Unfortunately there were two boats inside.! So all three got stuck on the buoy, only freeing themselves as we got close.

We were already inside one boat before the buoy,  one boat drifted up river with the wind, two managed to turn round the buoy but drifted wide..

We didn't need to be asked, we rounded the buoy on the inside at faster speed. Overtaking in all 4 boats..

Tacking back the wind started getting up, requiring sitting out, unfortunately with him having a dodgy leg and me with a duff knee our tacking was not the best. We couldn't catch up with those ahead, and lost a place to one of the boats from behind.

Eventually we finished 4th...

Race 3 didn't happen, the evil easterly was very cold, and slowly it has been moving to an even colder northerly. We were left with no competition, in the dinghies, a fleet of 25 boats was down to 4 boats for the third race. We had an extended lunch with added extras left over from the summer clubs Christmas dinner last night. There was cake!! 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

58 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

A'noon, not much to report.  An evil Easterly wind is making life unpleasant outside, a very unusual direction here. It is Baltic.  Oh OK, not really, but 6c feels like 1c was the afternoon's high point according to the Manx seaweed twirlers, we were out in the car where it measured 2c.  Too cold down the garage for trains, or bikes for that matter.

Or Neil's by the sound of it.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

but you would also probably ned a free to air receiver.

Our Sky Box is no longer installed but the dish points at the Astra satellite used for Sky and Freesat. It wouldn’t be a problem to point it at the old 19.2E direction. When I removed the Sky box I put the cables from the dish into the Satellite connectors on the tv. Quite a few tvs come with satellite/Freesat connections. Ours is a Samsung , about 3 years old. The tuner interface is quite versatile, you can choose other satellites not just the Astra one. Once you have chosen it searches for all the available channels. If it is something special you can set all the necessary parameters. It won’t of course show encrypted channels that need a card, though I believe the tv does have some sort of card interface fitted but have no idea what goes where. 
On other TV connection news,  we got a few months free from Apple TV recently so,I have been trying to remember how to watch it on our TV. Now done and Aditi will be pleased as I have found a Tom Hanks film for her to watch. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

A guy at work told me of his parents own version of this. He'd organised to go round to their place to help his dad install lighting in their swimming pool, he got there to find they'd begun without him.

They'd drained the pool to just below the level the lights were to be mounted and his dad was standing in the waist deep water with a 240 vault hammer drill drilling  out the side of the pool.

Meanwhile his  mum  was standing poolside holding the power cord where the drill cord joined the extension cord. In  the event of his dad  dropping the drill or similar and suddenly lighting up so you could see his skeleton like on the cartoons or saying "OK Janice, I'm being electrocuted can you pull the plugs apart please!" she would.

image.png.1fcc6c63231d02d5fc036bcc730e342a.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

I was very confused by the weather forecast on television last night. I'm sure I heard them forecast 1-3" of snow (it was probably at altitudes above 500') but they definitely forecast a 'wintry mix' with temperatures above freezing.

They appear to have been accurate. Right before I headed out for my walk it began to snow. The temperature was above 4°C. It was a light snow and the size of the flakes varied with time. By the time I was home, it felt like it was about to stop but the temperature was then below 2°C and it has now been snowing consistently for about 3 hours. With temperatures above freezing, very little of it is sticking though some patches of bare earth look white.

Hardly a winter wonderland but it was nice to be out walking with the snow falling.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I remain bewildered* over television shows and retailers presently offering "twelve days of Christmas" themed activity**. Other than the use of the number 12 and "Twelve days of Christmas" phraseology this has nothing to do with Christmas traditions dating back at least to the Tudors (or the song) and is much more alike to an abridged Advent Calendar - particularly for the weekday/night television shows that don't have 24 shows in December before their holiday hiatus.

* That's facetious. It's more being mildly irritated over the intentional warping of (admittedly lost) traditions largely annihilated by the Puritan Commonwealth

** 12 days (actually nights) of ugly holiday pullovers

12 days of discounts, etc

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis is in hiding at the moment and I hope he stays in hiding. Long range weather forecast is that we might have snow as far south as East Anglia on Wednesday. Recent winters have been mild  without even a hint of snow hereabouts. I'll get a couple of bags of rock salt in just in case.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was very confused by the weather forecast on television last night. I'm sure I heard them forecast 1-3" of snow (it was probably at altitudes above 500') but they definitely forecast a 'wintry mix' with temperatures above freezing.

They appear to have been accurate. Right before I headed out for my walk it began to snow. The temperature was above 4°C. It was a light snow and the size of the flakes varied with time. By the time I was home, it felt like it was about to stop but the temperature was then below 2°C and it has now been snowing consistently for about 3 hours. With temperatures above freezing, very little of it is sticking though some patches of bare earth look white.

Hardly a winter wonderland but it was nice to be out walking with the snow falling.

31 today and not a cloud in the sky - summers finally arrived, bummer that it did it on a Monday but. Back to winter on Friday though, 21 or something.....

1 hour ago, polybear said:

image.png.1fcc6c63231d02d5fc036bcc730e342a.png

I thought  you in the UK lacked powerpoints in bathrooms so you are  unable you to use toasters in the bath?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I thought  you in the UK lacked powerpoints in bathrooms so you are unable you to use toasters in the bath?

No worries - Bear just hooks his up to the extension lead......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

No worries - Bear just hooks his up to the extension lead......

Cordless toasters are available here for use in swimming pools and in the surf. Perhaps you should look into  getting one of  those?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ordered a couple of items on-line today, both promised delivery before Christmas, we'll wait and see. I've also put in a few internet bids on this auction.

https://www.specialauctionservices.com/Auction-Calendar/2022/Trains-Galore?utm_campaign=564321_WoR SAS solus 3 Dec&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital&dm_i=73DL,C3FL,ZULM5,1GY09,1

Not too many though with a 20% buyers premium plus VAT.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Cordless toasters are available here for use in swimming pools and the surf.

There is an onslaught of advertising for the latest pointless gadget for people 'on the go' - a cordless blender*, so you can mix your smoothie at the beach or something.

* USB rechargeable. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is an onslaught of advertising for the latest pointless gadget for people 'on the go' - a cordless blender*, so you can mix your smoothie at the beach or something.

* USB rechargeable. 

Tis Christmas. Tis the season to sell pointless things. If you can't sell them at Christmas then you need to start looking for another job or more likely another product.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4