The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Rick, the South Island is super, we have been three times - Mrs NHN's parentals are nationalised Kiwis.  We thought of emigrating there but thought we would become bored so came to Fraggle Rock instead.  No regrets.

Taieri Gorge - got a cab ride too - oh look, Pom railfans, want a ride?  Yersss I should say so!

738.jpg.98cd6765c4926fa42a5b14ada9e28a11.jpg

735.jpg.7274c79ddbcd06daac1faec99ff33eb2.jpg

Ah.. one of those Japanese built Bo-BO-BO locos.. nice journey that is!

I  would have loved to have moved to New Zealand  but  we left it too late. 

It is also the home of some of the arstwhile Gatwick Express sets.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

San Fransisco is not on my list of places to return to. I felt very uncomfortable in China Town..  it had a "threatening" feel to it.. preferred San Jose and Salt Lake.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

18 minutes ago, pH said:

I’ve heard people in New Zealand refer to Australia as the ‘West Island’.

NZ not-very-funny PM Piggy Muldoon in response to a question about NZers moving to Australia claimed it was helping to raise the IQ of both countries.

At least people don't keep asking us to say "six" just for the giggles.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

At least people don't keep asking us to say "six" just for the giggles.

I knew immediately where the enquirers were from when asked at the House of Fun by a couple of lads - clearly just arrived from afar with backpacks laden - when asked "Uz theer a fush 'n' chup ship hire?"

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very changeable weather today. I was expecting rain (like yesterday's heavy showers), but when I looked out the window I saw blue skies and bright sunshine, so I picked a lighter pullover for my walk despite the 2°C temperatures. By the time I was outside the sun was hiding and I was wishing for the heavier sweatshirt I would have worn. The sun did come out eventually which felt much nicer.

Since then clouds come and go. Showers continue to be forecast but I've not seen any rain yet today. Enough snow has fallen on the mountain that the ski resorts might reopen this week and the weather forecasters are teasing valley snow on Thursday. It's not likely to stick.

• Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

It was pointless points-scoring purely for the hell of it, knowing the Germans couldn't retaliate without breaking the Armistice; the Allies knew they had won the war, so why not just sit back and wait for the clock to strike eleven? 

The whole attack on Mons in the last 2-3 days of the war was (IMO) pointless point-scoring. The Canadian Corps was ordered to retake the town as a purely symbolic gesture, since it been the scene of the first major Allied defeat of the war in 1914:

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/battle-of-mons

It cost the Canadian Corps 280 casualties (killed, wounded or missing). One of those killed was one of a pair of brothers who had gone to France with the first Canadian units in 1915.

Discussion of the 1918 Battle of Mons from 37:50 in this video:

https://youtu.be/Fgmrz-IaqAg?list=PLecklOwGnUiq_QJP9u4wr_Jw0hjdnuA0U

Edited by pH
Eventually found the attached video.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear Here.....

Who's been waiting all f.day for Evri to collect a parcel....and they haven't.  T0ssers.

Looks like I'm gonna be re-booking the collection.

Yep, Rant.

No doubt the ebay buyer may well have the 'ump too - he got it for a bit of a discount so that's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately.

• Friendly/supportive 16

43 minutes ago, pH said:

The whole attack on Mons in the last 2-3 days of the war was (IMO) pointless point-scoring.

The whole of the 'great war' was tragic from beginning to end.

During a Congressional hearing of the House Committee on Military Affairs on November 5, 1919 Pershing was questioned on whether Armistice Day casualties died an unnecessary death. Pershing's response was that he was following the orders of Marshal Ferdinand Foch, commander in chief of Allied forces in France, issued on November 9, to keep up the pressure against the retreating enemy until the cease-fire went into effect.

There were no guarantees that the armistice would hold and I find this paragraph on the Armistice Wikipedia page apt:

Many artillery units continued to fire on German targets to avoid having to haul away their spare ammunition. The Allies also wished to ensure that, should fighting restart, they would be in the most favourable position. Consequently, there were 10,944 casualties, of whom 2,738 men died, on the last day of the war.

The last artillery shell was a 95 pound shell fired from an American Expeditionary Force, 155mm Schneider howitzer from the 11th Field Artillery, Battery E named "Calamity Jane" at precisely 11:00am, in the Meuse-Argonne. The howitzer is preserved at West Point.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 14

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

San Fransisco is not on my list of places to return to. I felt very uncomfortable in China Town..  it had a "threatening" feel to it.. preferred San Jose and Salt Lake.

Baz

Too many Dirty Harry movies perhaps?

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

35 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very changeable weather today. I was expecting rain (like yesterday's heavy showers), but when I looked out the window I saw blue skies and bright sunshine, so I picked a lighter pullover for my walk despite the 2°C temperatures. By the time I was outside the sun was hiding and I was wishing for the heavier sweatshirt I would have worn. The sun did come out eventually which felt much nicer.

Since then clouds come and go. Showers continue to be forecast but I've not seen any rain yet today. Enough snow has fallen on the mountain that the ski resorts might reopen this week and the weather forecasters are teasing valley snow on Thursday. It's not likely to stick.

It has just stopped snowing here. At least three inches since last night.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Sounds like west on something to south on I-81 to west on I-40 to south on I-75. How did you avoid Knoxville? 😺 Anyway your journey reminded me of:

Actually I travelled west to Gettysburg, then south west towards Knoxville but before I reached there I saw a sign pointing to Shenandoah Valley National Park so I decided to go there. That by-passed Knoxville and I rejoined the highway not far from Chattanooga. The return was via Nashville, didn't stay there for too long as it was shut. From there I headed back north via the Ohio river valley, again through Gettysburg to New York. I didn't stop in NY though as I went on to stay for a few days with an English friend in Connecticut before the flight home.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I never picked up my book this afternoon, instead I made a large pan of corned beef hash, some of which we had for tea and further seven portions have now been frozen for future consumption. 

This evening, I had to go back to Sainsbury’s to get a box of chocolates, that Sheila had forgotten to add to the shopping list. However, whilst I was there, I bumped into an old friend who I’d not seen for several years and I had quite a long chat with her. I’ve known her longer than I’ve known Sheila, in fact, it was at one of her legendary parties that Sheila and I met!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

We were going to go to Costco tomorrow. However, with snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow, we decide to go late this afternoon. It appeared quite a few other people had the same thought. Twazzazoo!

• Like 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In what way?  I suspect you have overstated this opinion.

The husband of one of my US colleagues had a gun pulled on him and was mugged in broad daylight in a downtown parking lot.

That was just a month ago. And, from what the San Francisco based colleagues said when my colleague spoke about her husband’s misadventure at a TC (she is based in Minnesota), this is no longer an unusual occurrence in SF

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1