The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The laws of physics don't change like the tax code and there are no exemptions for gravity.

Well, nobody really knows how gravitational force is transmitted, so there could be exemptions, but that's beside the point 😀

My point was that despite a really good education system in the US many in the population prefer to ignore simple facts and believe politicians instead.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think I can say, without much fear of contradiction, that the US Government has “weaponised” the IRS - because, as Al Capone found out to his cost - if they can’t “get” you any other way, they’ll get you on taxes…

Incoming contradiction! 😀

If we felt things were bad enough we could return to the UK and renounce our US citizenship to avoid having to file. If things were that bad it does not seem like such a big deal in the grand scheme of things (although we have considered doing precisely that.)

But I have to ask, did the US State Department drop you on your head at some point? I know the US isn't exactly the most friendly organization to deal with but I get the impression you do tend to "get the boot in" when any opportunity arises. Or is it just me?

Cheers!

AndyID

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Well, nobody really knows how gravitational force is transmitted, so there could be exemptions, but that's beside the point 😀

My point was that despite a really good education system in the US many in the population prefer to ignore simple facts and believe politicians instead.

From what I've read on education threads on other forums many would disagree, teachers on low pay having to pay for books and consumables is one thing.. Texas dominating the school book system and providing a very skewed version of History is another.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

From what I've read on education threads on other forums many would disagree, teachers on low pay having to pay for books and consumables is one thing.. Texas dominating the school book system and providing a very skewed version of History is another.

Yes, that is quite true. US education has become increasingly politicized in the last 30 or 40 years. It never was entirely "neutral" but neither was the stuff I was taught in Scotland in the 50s and 60s. The alarming thing here is that quite recent history is being "revised" in some states. I will resist that as best as I can but I'm probably too old now to make a lot of difference.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Wiki Page included this:

The last shot was fired by Battery 4 at 10:57:30 a.m. on 11 November 1918, timed to land just before the scheduled Armistice at 11 a.m

How f.stupid - hopefully no-one were on the receiving end.

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Never mind that - what about the recoil????? 

The Boss had a piccy on his lounge wall of the USS Iowa? (or similar big b*gger) firing all guns simultaneously, with the barrels at 90 degrees to the axis of the ship; I recall him saying the ship moves sideways in the water when they do that - no idea where he got that from, but it sounds feasible.

In other news.....

Whoever is presenting Radio 2 at the moment has admitted to scoffing 19 Spam Fritters in one go whilst at school (none of the other kids were keen on them, apparently).  Respect.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

… I know the US isn't exactly the most friendly organization to deal with but I get the impression you do tend to "get the boot in" when any opportunity arises. Or is it just me?

Well, yes and no.

I lived (and studied) in the US for 10 years (in one of the “Southern” states) and I’ve seen the US at its best and worst. Working in an inner city ER will give you a very jaundiced and cynical view of humanity.

I think there’s an awful lot of great things about the US: outside of the big cities people are friendly and welcoming (a “cut glass” English accent doesn’t hurt, either); they can be very civic minded and generous (perhaps - in certain areas - more so than the British), a lot of the food is amazing. The universities and research centres are (were?) superb (not surprising, given the amount of money the NIH [and other government bodies] funnel their way) and - outside of the politicians - one of the least corrupt governments/civil services in the world. When such things come up, I give praise when due (and fulsome praise at that).

But I’ve also seen “the dark underbelly of the beast” and some things have worsened since I left the US (the “either you’re with us or you’re against us” mentality being one such example - an attitude that seems to have spread like Japanese knotweed). The US has many flaws (as we all have - as every country has), but what I dislike is it wraps self interest up in (often) sanctimonious clap trap (“beacon of democracy” “leader of the free world” etc). Henry Kissinger was caught saying - in an unguarded moment - that “America doesn’t have friends, it has interests”. A statement America’s friends would do well to remember.

As to my sometimes caustic observations about the US - I’m just passing on the commentary from my American friends and colleagues - some of whom are even more jaundiced and cynical than I (nothing like being in medicine or the emergency services to make the scales fall from your eyes).

iD

p.s. An American plus: with the exception of the New York/New Jersey accents, I find that most American women’s accents sound really sexy (and young: you’re in a TC and it sounds like you’re talking to a young woman just out of High School and when the video link kicks in you’re face to face with an industry veteran 🤣

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

The Wiki Page included this:

The last shot was fired by Battery 4 at 10:57:30 a.m. on 11 November 1918, timed to land just before the scheduled Armistice at 11 a.m

How f.stupid - hopefully no-one were on the receiving end.

Everything about WW1 was tragic, it was an unnecessary war fought to a bitter end because politicians lacked the moral courage to negotiate a diplomatic ending after their catastrophic failure to avoid war in 1914. And, unfortunately, a big part of the reason is that politicians became prisoners of their own demands and rhetoric and created an expectation among their own people for total victory. After all, if people are expected to suffer great sacrifice in pursuit of a total war effort against an enemy they've been told is horrible (WW1 was an example of mass propaganda, the rape of Belgium, baby killing huns etc, with similar stories on the other side) then only total victory will suffice. What made the conduct of politicians even more reprehensible is that after the war the likes of David Lloyd George did an excellent job transferring the opprobrium onto military commanders. The Generals of WW1 have a lot to answer for, but for example, Haig could have been removed at any time and he was pursuing the policy of the British government to defeat Germany on the Western Front. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, polybear said:

I recall him saying the ship moves sideways in the water when they do that - no idea where he got that from, but it sounds feasible.

I should think he got it from Newton's third law of motion.

Now if the forward and aft guns were fired at right angles to the axis of the ship but to opposite sides, the ship would very slowly rotate. There are no doubt cheaper and quicker ways of turning a battleship round! (If the ship was underway, this rotation could of course be compensated for by putting the rudder over.)

• Like 8
  • Funny 7

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, yes and no.

I lived (and studied) in the US for 10 years (in one of the “Southern” states) and I’ve seen the US at its best and worst. Working in an inner city ER will give you a very jaundiced and cynical view of humanity.

I think there’s an awful lot of great things about the US: outside of the big cities people are friendly and welcoming (a “cut glass” English accent doesn’t hurt, either); they can be very civic minded and generous (perhaps - in certain areas - more so than the British), a lot of the food is amazing. The universities and research centres are (were?) superb (not surprising, given the amount of money the NIH [and other government bodies] funnel their way) and - outside of the politicians - one of the least corrupt governments/civil services in the world. When such things come up, I give praise when due (and fulsome praise at that).

But I’ve also seen “the dark underbelly of the beast” and some things have worsened since I left the US (the “either you’re with us or you’re against us” mentality being one such example - an attitude that seems to have spread like Japanese knotweed). The US has many flaws (as we all have - as every country has), but what I dislike is it wraps self interest up in (often) sanctimonious clap trap (“beacon of democracy” “leader of the free world” etc). Henry Kissinger was caught saying - in an unguarded moment - that “America doesn’t have friends, it has interests”. A statement America’s friends would do well to remember.

As to my sometimes caustic observations about the US - I’m just passing on the commentary from my American friends and colleagues - some of whom are even more jaundiced and cynical than I (nothing like being in medicine or the emergency services to make the scales fall from your eyes).

iD

p.s. An American plus: with the exception of the New York/New Jersey accents, I find that most American women’s accents sound really sexy (and young: you’re in a TC and it sounds like you’re talking to a young woman just out of High School and when the video link kicks in you’re face to face with an industry veteran 🤣

The US will, unavoidably, always have a big red target on its face for countless reasons. But what's the alternative?

It was not up to me but thanks to the US, for whatever reasons, I was not brought-up in a dictatorship and we should never forget that. I took my mum and dad to FDR's place in New York and frankly they were quite overwhelmed, as was I. Never will forget it,

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much fuss from Arthur Itis this morning and he was gone as soon as I started moving about. A little bit of shopping to do then I've got the rest of the day to myself.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Whoever is presenting Radio 2 at the moment has admitted to scoffing 19 Spam Fritters in one go whilst at school (none of the other kids were keen on them, apparently).  Respect.

That brings back memories, apparently you can buy them frozen ready to defrost and cook.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. Today is a day for topping up the larder, so I’ll shortly be heading off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. But before that I have to pick up some completed prescriptions, I'll then cross the road and pick up a rail ticket for next month’s Manchester Model Railway Show.

There are no firm plans for the afternoon, so I might continue reading the book I started on Saturday ‘A Woman Of No Importance’. it’s the story of an American woman who worked for the SOE in France during WWII, a fascinating book which is shortly to be made into a film. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I took my mum and dad to FDR's place in New York and frankly they were quite overwhelmed, as was I. Never will forget it

We have only had two day trips round New York We really enjoyed them. Even the immigration process was interesting!

A few years previously we had driven into upstate New York from Vermont. It was quite deserted.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a showery rock with - hurrah - no wind.  8c.

The USA has always torn me when I visited, generally the docks of course are perhaps one of the worst places to start but I still met some remarkable people, and saw some fantastic places.  One interesting experience was visiting Fort McHenry in Baltimore, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McHenry

At the end of the presentation some music started, and every one bar three Brits stood and snapped to attention.  Well, as we had to explain in the following melee, the US national anthem is not taught in UK schools.  War was narrowly avoided, and we then had an afternoon of really interesting chats with several folk who initially had us down as 'Commies' or worse, we parted good friends and both with an improved appreciation of each others culture.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Small things can be important, and often it is small things that really needle people. At UN agencies North Korea is either the Democratic People's Republic of Korea or the DPRK, there's no such thing as 'North Korea' as a country. However, European delegations at IMO insist on using 'North Korea', followed by a protest and an instruction from the Secretariat to observe correct protocol. Some delegations are genuinely ignorant (which raises questions of itself), but others happily admit they're doing it to wind the Koreans up (interestingly, the Republic of Korea delegates generally avoid wilfully offending their counterparts from the other side of the demilitarized zone). That's fine, I'm not the biggest admirer of the DPRK, the problem is some of those who like winding others up are the first to take offence and get stroppy at any perceived insult to their own countries. I've always been of the view that people can either throw stones and accept that they'll be thrown back, or they can avoid getting into any of that in which case they have fair cause to whinge if they're at the receiving end. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

New York

As I have avoided visiting for the greater part of 66 years there is every chance that I can avoid it for however many years I have left 🤣

Dr. SWMBO has been. She arranged a side-trip as part of a business visit elsewhere in the Yoo-Ess. Stayed with a colleague in Westchester in what she described as the biggest house she has ever seen. She had an entire wing of the place to herself for the duration. But felt very much less than safe in the city itself and was under-whelmed by some of the famous sights. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

and watched The Titfield Thunderbolt which I'd recorded.  It seemed to me that the copy broadcast was in very good condition, it looked sharper and brighter than when I've seen it before.  I wonder if it is a restored copy?

We watched it via iPlayer and I thought it looked good too. For some reason (defective memory probably) thought I had seen it in black and white previously. I wondered if it had been “colorised” but the beginning credits mentioned the Technicolor consultant. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I love New York, a great city. Though I prefer Washington DC which I think is a splendid place, some magnificent public buildings, world class museums and some lovely walks. I used to prefer San Francisco but now I would rather go to DC.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

have avoided visiting for the greater part of 66 years there is every chance that I can avoid it for however many years I have left 🤣

I would definitely go back and perhaps try to stay a bit longer. I don’t feel that about all the cities we have visited. No desire to go back to St Petersburg or any other Russian city. I felt there was a very thin veneer of culture covering something unpleasant. Quite relieved to head for Stockholm on their occasion. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

s. I used to prefer San Francisco

We have had an invitation to visit San Francisco for over forty years. Aditi’s uncle keeps asking when we are going to visit. Every time we think we have settled on a date he informs us he won’t be there! Anyway by now he lives in Saratoga but family members who stay get the guided tour of all the San Francisco area sightseeing places. He did the same to Matthew too who had very nearly booked a flight. This is why Matthew and I had a holiday in a Houston. He decided on Texas as California wasn’t available!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5