The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Having lived in Singapore I can relate to his post. Those cloudbursts really have to be seen to be believed and the onset is dramatic. I once landed a Hunter at Tengah in bright sunshine but by the time I was halfway down the runway I was in such torrential rain that I could hardly see far enough to taxi. When I managed to find my way back to the Squadron dispersal the only reception I got was someone waving me towards a parking slot from the engineers' office doorway so I shut down and sat in the cockpit until the deluge abated, which only took a few minutes.

Dave

We lived in an apartment under the landing approach to Tengah, for a military airbase the levels of activity are crazy, it's more like a commercial airport. The RSAF F16 squadrons are based at Tengah, and we used to see the AEW G550, F50 maritime patrol aircraft, AH64, Cougar and S70 helicopters regularly and sometimes C130 and CH47 Chinooks. Also it seems to be the government VIP airfield as there were a lot of unmarked business jet movements. The F16's are insanely noisy, I took a walk very close to the airbase in the central catchment area (Singapore's equivalent of countryside) one day, daydreaming two F16's went over very low and very fast, followed by two more slightly higher, the noise was off the scale. The RSAF don't seem to have the same issues with noise abatement as the RAF. I used to tell my wife while the F16's flying around all day were flying slick or with drop tanks there was nothing to worry about, get concerned if they start flying bombed up and with a full weapons load.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

though if people went at up to 30 in 30 limits and kept to 20 in 20 limits, rather than 25 all the time. 

I think if I had been doing 30 in a 30 limit the other day I would have killed the dog that ran out. I had already eased off as I was passing pedestrians walking very close to the kerb. 30 is a limit not a target.  

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think if I had been doing 30 in a 30 limit the other day I would have killed the dog that ran out. I had already eased off as I was passing pedestrians walking very close to the kerb. 30 is a limit not a target.  

There were a lot of roads in Cumbria with a 60mph national speed limit for which I'd consider anything like that speed irresponsible and dangerous.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If decisions had to have a quorate level, I think there would be a greater involvement. If the decision proved to be deeply unpopular the current SU committee will be deposed before the catering changes occur. 

Bear predicts 16,900 Students arranging a Sossie Roll Day just to p'off the 100.

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Well that was interesting to say the least.  Sainsbury's delivered and one item rejected at the door as it was out of date.

Unfortunately yours truly was too busy chatting to the driver that I didn't notice other items where plastic wrap was ripped open under cardboard outer including chicken breast fillets , rotten lettuce although I could be forgiven for that as it was inside the outer leaves,  two very short dated items,  ripped wrapping on one pack of butter.

Worst delivery we've ever had, very rarely have to complain about anything and then it's only a single item.

I don't do snottograms but I do do verysnottophonecalls.   To be fair the customer service person was very good and the upshot is a refund in full of all those items including a goodwill gesture totalling £28 which is about double the cost of the items involved.

Only problem is we've now got to go to Asda.

Is this the very same Sainsburys that SWMBO used to work at, and if so has @grandadbob been subjected to a dose of

"Hurrumph....that would never have happened in MY day" ranting?

40 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It is also annoying when people almost stop at every zebra or light controlled crossing even when there is no one about.

Not stopping at a light controlled crossing when required to do so risks adding 3 points on the driving licence.

Bear here.....

Some priming of the wall for the landing coving carried out - I had hoped to do the walls in the hallway at the same time but I ran out of mixed-up primer and din dins beckoned .....

I cancelled the car insurance renewal - notta hint of checking the premium/begging me to stay/tears etc. on their part; it was more a case of "fine, ok, it's cancelled, right now bvgger off" kind of attitude.  Bear can't help but feel somewhat cheated.  TC's.

In other news:

Just when you thought it was safe:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63660032

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I think my earlier comment on speeds was perhaps not very clear.

I did say at up to 30 in a 30 mph limit.  Obviously it depends on the road, traffic and weather.  What I was trying to say was the problems caued by people who drive at 25 whatever the conditions. 

As for the pedestrian crossings.  Yesterday it was in a 30 limit area, with visibility for several hundred yards ahead (along the coast) and with wide pavements with no one on them. Again obviously the lights were green for traffic as there was no one about to press a button to cross.

I should have made it clearer.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I used to hate mono-speed drivers, those who drive at one speed regardless of where they are. For some reason 40mph was a magic figure, going from being a nuisance on open 60mph roads where 60mph was a perfectly reasonable speed to speeding by 10mph when roads pass through villages with 30 zones or worse.

• Like 8
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned before 40 is the magic speed round here, whether 30, 40,50, or 60 limit..

The road I live on is a national limit which means you can drive at 60MPH, though doing a 90 degree turn at that speed will put you in the farmers front garden... if not his house.

By the way the national speed limit is actually 30mph, but you are granted permission to exceed this to 60mph on roads when not otherwise indicated..

If an alien were to transport you and dump you on a road in the middle of nowhere, the official advice is to drive at 30mph until you find a sign that says otherwise. which in the highlands of Scotland could be many miles...

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

There were a lot of roads in Cumbria with a 60mph national speed limit for which I'd consider anything like that speed irresponsible and dangerous.

Likewise in Cornwall but for many visitors it was seen as a challenge or that it must be ok to drive at that speed. 

Many of us “locals” will seldom get above 40-45mph and less than that on many a road upon which the “National speed limit” applies in default of any other being posted. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think my earlier comment on speeds was perhaps not very clear.

I did say at up to 30in a 30 mph limit.  Obviously it depends on the road, traffic and weather.  What I was trying to say was the problems caued by people who drive at 25 whatever the conditions. 

As for the pedestrian crossings.  Yesterday it was in a 30 limit area, with visibility for several hundred yards ahead (along the coast) and with wide pavements with no one on them. Again obviously the lights were green for traffic as there was no one about to press a button to cross.

I should have made it clearer.

David

Now 30inches in a 30mph zone is really slow...😀

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I used to hate mono-speed drivers, those who drive at one speed regardless of where they are. For some reason 40mph was a magic figure, going from being a nuisance on open 60mph roads where 60mph was a perfectly reasonable speed to speeding by 10mph when roads pass through villages with 30 zones or worse.

The A65 from Skipton to the M6 near Kendal used to attract the 40mph brigsde like moths to a lamp. Particularly on weekends.  Why did many of them have glasses and a hst.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I've mentioned before 40 is the magic speed round here, whether 30, 40,50, or 60 limit..

The road I live on is a national limit which means you can drive at 60MPH, though doing a 90 degree turn at that speed will put you in the farmers front garden... if not his house.

By the way the national speed limit is actually 30mph, but you are granted permission to exceed this to 60mph on roads when not otherwise indicated..

If an alien were to transport you and dump you on a road in the middle of nowhere, the official advice is to drive at 30mph until you find a sign that says otherwise. which in the highlands of Scotland could be many miles...

If there are no streetlights then it's 60 unless there are repeater signs to make it lower IIRC.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The A65 from Skipton to the M6 near Kendal used to attract the 40mph brigsde like moths to a lamp. Particularly on weekends.  Why did many of them have glasses and a hst.

If there are no streetlights then it's 60 unless there are repeater signs to make it lower IIRC.

Jamie

Yes and no to my understanding.  

The default limit is 30mph in any built-up area or any road with street lighting or 60mph on unlit roads which are not built up.  Unless otherwise signposted.  So you have a 30mph limit on an unlit road if it is built up and yes there are some around.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2