The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

In cake related news the youngest is making LDC next week at school

I am now hunting a pachyderm and ursineproof transport flask to get it home

The Ministers for C, P, D & B would like to draw your attention to the newly created laws regarding the transportation of uninspected LDC......

Fear not, however - such inspections are conducted absolutely free of charge.

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was (allegedly) a lorry buried under the pitch of the old Wembley stadium. When they built the bottling plant at the Romford brewery in the 1960's they found the remains of a Foden steam lorry. The scrapmen cut it up and carted it off.

ISTR a story about a workman (men?) who got trapped in a hole during a construction project (Forth Bridge maybe?).  There was zero chance of getting them out - or more likely it was decided by the Bosses that it would be far too expensive/delay the build/we've plenty of others to replace them anyway etc. - so they made out they were preparing to rescue them as they fed them with food laced with poison.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Interesting factoid: my current bike is a so-called “city bike“ and compared to my previous all-rounder bike is equipped with quite fat tyres. This, I think, makes it very slow, inasmuch as the same pedalling effort provides a lower speed than the same effort did on my previous bike (I don’t think it is the gearing, my current bike has 6 gears - the same as the old bike). Perhaps a change of wheels to something with a thinner tyre might improve the bikes speed?

Many, many moons ago a certain Bear purchased a bike of the pedallin' variety; I had gone to the shop with the intention of buying a Mountain Bike but when the shop keeper realised I had no intention of going anywhere near mountains with it he steered me towards a "Track & Trail" bike (mountain bike styling, a bit less rugged, thinner wheels) as he said the rolling resistance of the tyres was a lot less and would be better for road use.

So that's what I bought.  And hardly ever used the thing.  Luckily I was able to flog it to someone at work for nottalotta loss several years later.

40 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

That is because he's a mate and if he didn't clean up after himself you would be falling out with him not just as an 'employee' but also as a friend.

I always remember being told never to take on a paid job for a neighbour as you run the risk of falling out with them and then having the problem of seeing them everyday.

Bear HATES working in friend's houses (though I'll help out with small jobs/emergencies) - too much stress in case something goes wrong/costs them more in bits than expected/takes longer than usual/I forget to bring all the right tools.  As a consequence I'll only get involved with jobs for friends in the same street (easy to nip home for something) unless I'm just a pair of paws helping them do the job.  Money never changes paws - though it would be rude to refuse a Kit Kat or ten.....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

The old appliance has been left outside to see if the metal fairies want it.....

The local OWL Neighbourhood watch sent a recent email reporting the results of a local Plod exercise to stop and check vehicles; they reported that they found 13 offences for being in breach of waste transport regulations - and coincidentally another 13 offences for unsafe/unfit vehicles (the same vehicles?).  IIRC another 2 were seized as the driver had no licence/MOT/insurance (or all of the above).  Whilst they didn't say it openly a certain Bear immediately thought "Metal Fairies".

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I still have scaffolders finishing the job and a skip outside.  Despite being delivered yesterday there's still nothing in it.  The roofer is due today.

What happened to the spider?  Must've been a big b#gger if you got a skip for it!  🤪

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was up to his usual tricks this morning but disappeared once I started moving about. I saw the remains of the Foden steam lorry being removed, all that was left was the bottom part of the smokebox and part of the chassis. Very rusty, the rest of it was just iron oxide, not surprising as it was alongside the River Rom. In fact the building (now gone) that was built on the site straddled the river.

53 minutes ago, polybear said:

ISTR a story about a workman (men?) who got trapped in a hole during a construction project (Forth Bridge maybe?).  There was zero chance of getting them out - or more likely it was decided by the Bosses that it would be far too expensive/delay the build/we've plenty of others to replace them anyway etc. - so they made out they were preparing to rescue them as they fed them with food laced with poison.

A few years back when they were stripping the topsoil off for an opencast coal mine they came across some old pits containing some skeletons including one female. There was no record of a mine but it was known that locals used to dig their own pits about two hundred years ago.

• Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

The spider was in Tony S's bath.  Our spiders are treated with great respect.  Even the ones that create a huge web across the garden path overnight get an apology when moved aside.  It's the least one can do.

Yes, it was definitely my bath. I mistakenly thought I was being kind leaving it alone but gently gave it some help to a less slippy environment. What we really need is a mouse-eating spider for the summerhouse.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I can find a scrap price for a microwave in the US it's up to $10, couldn't find the UK price. I know a washing machine is about £10, and a car battery £5 to £10 depending on weight.

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Not surprised by that PB.  In my experience and dealings with certain people including metal fairies and the like over the past 40 odd years they seem to think that the laws of the land don't apply to them.  I'll leave it at that.

I suspect much of the problem is the Plod don't bother nickin' em for lesser crimes simply because as they have no fixed abode it starts to get pretty difficult when they don't bother showing up for Court.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I can find a scrap price for a microwave in the US it's up to $10, couldn't find the UK price. I know a washing machine is about £10, and a car battery £5 to £10 depending on weight.

Bear's tame non-ferrous scrappie doesn't touch car batteries - he said it all starts to get difficult because of the acid.

Bear here.....

PS applied to the stair stringers all down one side and then cover with plastic bin bags - I'll bung another layer on top around 4pm and then leave it overnight to (hopefully) work it's magic.

Then it was a visit to the Chemist & Co-op; the woman in Boots wanted to check what dose of the magic pills I'm on (so she knows when to resubmit the repeat prescription to the Doc) in order to fix the dreaded Big H - the dose is actually variable (decided by a certain Bear, up to a certain limit) as advised by the Neuro Wizard.  Fortunately for most of the time I'm actually on nowhere near what they think the dose is, so I have some spare stock in the cupboard (though I keep an eye on shelf life dates and cancel if needed).  Comes in handy at Hols time and also in case the Ruskies invade.....

They also asked me to fill out a customer survey on the 'net (win an ipad n' all that, otherwise I wouldn't bother).  One question (gender) offers the following:

• Male
  • Female
  • Non- Binary/Third Gender (Huh?)
  • Prefer to self-describe (WTF is that??)
  • Prefer not to answer

Words fail this Bear.

In other news:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-accused-of-harassing-youths-who-were-found-to-be-carrying-machetes/ar-AA13NP8L?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d7466afaddc4897954e571a4c599ce3

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

When we had the roller shutter garage door fitted the fitter said he would get £9 a piece for the doors

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Was it something it that rain, I wonder?  

I don’t remember rain affecting the school age students but many teachers were convinced the students went a bit loopy at break time when it was really windy. The only way rain affected them was if it was a “wet break” and they had to stay in the classroom. The nicotine addicted used to be desperate to get out and would be unusually keen to take a message to the office or anywhere basically!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Those would probably have been bell pits, so called duevthe shape of the underground chamber which went out from a central shaft as far as they could without putting in supports.  They were then left to collapse.  There used to beca field near our village called The Moonies which was all collapsed bell pits.  It's now a pet food factory.

Jamie

We don't have bell pits in Romford. The area in question was once very marshy and subject to flooding and because of the flooding the ground had been made up over the years. It had been a sports field for the brewery until it was concreted over as an open barrel store. Here is a photograph of the brewery taken from the station in 1908, the lorry was found roughly where the two wagons are standing on the left.

image.png.57fc5cc12bc24c2c7496f41890c5cc69.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:
1 hour ago, polybear said:
  • Prefer to self-describe (WTF is that??)

That's for Bears, Hippos, etc.

Isn't that one of the things supposed to make you go blind? 🤔

• Funny 12