The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing some Osman books in the Works a week or so ago, but can't remember the titles...

Mooring awl,

5 hours sleep woke with crick in neck and headache, hence nearly 2 hours before I got to sleep again, then about an hour and a halves sleep.

Ben the I want out Collie did a splash and dash again, cloudy overhead no stars visible, chilly and wet..

Puddles on the way in, are merely down to maximum size, not flowing down the roads..

Forecast This morning looks good for the week, might get to cut the grass next weekend.

There seems to have been an update to the forum, there is a tool bar down one side.

We've had a scheduled power off over the weekend due to some major rewiring in our power room,

I suppose I'd better head to the lab to turn things back on.

Time to... walk...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Had no power for most of day no charge on phone or tablet. I lent the power banks to the eldest so he could watch kickball.

Forgot to mention our streets substation is connected in to a gen set on the back of a 45' flat trailer parked at side. So goodness knows what gone wrong

No 2 son  worked for the company that delivered such things for a while.  He made good money on call out.  He would sometimes  turn up outside the house in an 8 lehgger with a 6 wheel trailer. The lorry had a high capacity HIAB on it. There would be gensets on both lorry and traler. Watching him turn it round was good fun.

Anyway, good moaning from a damp and windy Charente.  I got some muddling done yesterday and we had moules frites for tea, which were very nice.  This morning i've gotbto wait for some builders to arrive at the house we look after then it's time to head off and buy a new cutter drive belt for the lawn tractor.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

Damp, dull and dismal here and rain will continue for at least an hour..  Patchy rain forecast and there may be some brighter spells later. 

Nothing planned yet today apart from pushing the buttons on the new microwave to see if it works.

Have a good one,

Bob. (living on the edge) 😂

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I did have to Google “chimichurri”.  A few years ago I noticed Nduja on a menu in Italy and had no idea what it was. That seems to be appearing on products here now too. 

Chimichurri.....Perhaps I spelt it wrong but I got Dick Van Dyke in the film Mary Poppins . . . . . . . . . 

Nduja....Isn't that Mrs Hippo of Telford . . . . . . 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was in full voice this morning but a bit of exercise plus Nurofen is keeping him quiet. I will be putting the bread pudding in the oven later. I was a bit worried about mould getting in but I used honey* as a sweetener and that should keep mould and other nasties away. While on the subject, should the Ministry of Cakes be renamed the Ministry of Cakes and Puddings? *Honey is remarkable stuff, not only does it stop mould it is a very good antiseptic and can be stored without refrigeration in a sealed container such as a jar for years.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, bit late on due to kitchenworks.  Joiner installed, tea given, and he's getting on with it!  He's a pal so its mates rates, but discount only is operative if supplied with heaps of tea and bacon sarnies.

Wet n windy out, so noting spoiling there, a walk to the village shop soon to get basics is called for, then make more tea I suppose.  Expecting a delivery too, of something black, chunky and industrial. Woop.

13c seems awfully warm for the time of year, when it does turn cold we're really going to feel it.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Yet another dull, grey and wet start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. Breakfast is now but a distant memory, so I’ll set off shortly to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix! After that there are no firm plans, but I’m sure I’ll find something to do. 

Back later.  

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...While on the subject, should the Ministry of Cakes be renamed the Ministry of Cakes and Puddings? ... 

I'd suggest Ministry of Desserts, then there's no opportunity for any quibblers not to include tarts (treacle or bakewell for instance). As I believe il D has observed, the English language is sometimes rather misleading. I like Yorkshire Pudding for instance but I fear that if we included that in the departmental remit, my esteemed colleagues would accuse me of making a power grab. Anyway, as I've just demonstrated personal favour and bias, I'd better go and write my resignation letter... 

Morning all. Grey so far, with some breeze and the sun trying to get through the cloud cover. Not much on the cards at the moment, I'm having to wait for various folk to get back to me before doing very much. So that's sort of it... will join grandadbob in the fast lane... 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all 

The Gen set was being refuelled by a pick up with a bowser. I am not sure whether they are refuelling as they expect it to be there a while or if it's to keep it ready for another job.

The bathroom fitters are coming tomorrow at last. So i hope the power does stay on.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Still wet here but the big reservoir you travel past on the M62 is still very low. Not sure where the rainfall is going but not into the reservoirs.

But water is flowing, this is Baitings Resevoir near Rochdale, had a lovely old bridge completely uncovered in the summer with no water under it when I last visited at the end of September.

Courtesy of Mr Martin Zero, here is an update on the water levels.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But water is flowing, this is Baitings Resevoir near Rochdale, had a lovely old bridge completely uncovered in the summer with no water under it when I last visited at the end of September.

Courtesy of Mr Martin Zero, here is an update on the water levels.

Thats the reservoir where a body was found during a previous drought. The murder is still unsolved 30 years later.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/10/fresh-bid-to-solve-1989-of-mechanic-laurence-winstanley

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

To quote the inimitable @polybear “turdycurses”….

There I was minding my own business, gently soothing some scared data so that I could put it into its cage, when into my inbox storms an email informing me that I have a boat load of text to review and edit…NOW!

….. and by the way it needs to be done by start of business, Wednesday.

So I’ll have to cancel my lunchtime reservation at La Gavroche, make do with something from the larder (perhaps a spoonful of Sevruga on a blini or two and a small glass of Krug 95), then a quick smoke (I have a Filthy Hooligan Shamrock to smoke https://www.zigarren-online.ch/alec-bradley-filthy-hooligan-shamrock.html)* then back to work after a barely adequate 90 minute lunchtime. 

I really admire those tough and resolute people who can make do with a mere 10 minutes for a lunch of a Tesco sandwich and a cup of Nescafe. I certainly couldn’t do it.

I tell you, it’s tough at the top….

p.s. Seriously? The work and the deadlines are factual and the cigar* if you are so inclined really is excellent!

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2022 at 12:31, Dave Hunt said:

I went to the farm where I had found the rubbish but the farmer there said that the land was actually owned by a company based in Preston (a long way away) and I would have to contact them. When I asked for the name and address of the company he didn't know and I would have to go through the land registry.

Farmer Giles doesn't know the contact details to whom he (presumably) pays rent?  Hmm......

On 04/11/2022 at 14:04, monkeysarefun said:

Now there's a free trade agreement between Australia and the UK, who do I send the first shipment of fairy bread to?

image.png.32b448a03c0b8c18c7aed8ad9b8b6ab9.png

Outer Mongolia.  Standards to maintain n' all that.....

On 04/11/2022 at 14:31, The White Rabbit said:

You convinced me. Though perhaps we should lobby for the renaming of the Dept. to the Ministry of Deserts, just to be on the safe side? 

See below.....

On 05/11/2022 at 15:45, The White Rabbit said:

Just as an example, I've never been part of the British Army but have seen bits of it at work closer than many people and know (and can appreciate) the worth of good NCOs - 'skilled working class' people without attitude or airs and graces. Man for man, they have impressed me far more than the officers I've come across, too many of which seemed to play to the 'Rupert' stereotype.

Bear's last Boss was an ex. NCO in the RAF - a most excellent guy who could run rings round pretty much everyone else in the office on a technical level.  The b'sterds never game him the positions (and salaries) he deserved.

On 06/11/2022 at 09:12, New Haven Neil said:

HR/personnel in the NHS was NOT like the views often expressed here. 

As if we would......🤣

On 06/11/2022 at 11:02, petethemole said:

The spider in the bath won't be able to climb the sides, so it might appreciate being relocated.

Bear hears that Cemeteries are rather nice this time of year......🤣

14 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Polybear, how many Deltics can you get for £1749?

Just a tad under eleven, though if you want your Deltic to sound like a Deltic then the fleet will be somewhat smaller....

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This story has always stuck in my head as being  incredibly sad...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/nz-woman-dies-after-electricity-cut-off-20070530-flj.html

Any idea what the outcome was - I hope someone did serious time for that.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

While on the subject, should the Ministry of Cakes be renamed the Ministry of Cakes and Puddings? 

See below.....

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'd suggest Ministry of Desserts, then there's no opportunity for any quibblers not to include tarts (treacle or bakewell for instance). As I believe il D has observed, the English language is sometimes rather misleading. I like Yorkshire Pudding for instance but I fear that if we included that in the departmental remit, my esteemed colleagues would accuse me of making a power grab.

After due consideration it has been decided to rename it as "The Ministry for Cakes, Puds, Desserts and Biscuits".  Of course if anything has been overlooked then this could change.....

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Anyway, as I've just demonstrated personal favour and bias, I'd better go and write my resignation letter... 

To The Rt. Hon. Bunny,

Resignation not accepted - too many yummies to test.....

Yours,

Bear

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

On matters recreational, Mrs iD has approved my three week post immediate retirement excursion to Japan. I will now need to suss out a decent tour organiser and one that doesn’t do the “same old same old“. I wonder if @tetsudofan or @jjb1970 have any pointers? My budget is adequately robust and I am happy to stay in less opulent hotels and hostelries in Japan in exchange for business class or first class travel. Having spent most of my life flying around the globe for work, this body just does not “do” economy long haul. I did do a long haul in economy but only once – when I was much younger, fitter and not afflicted with the aches and pains of old age – and it was a horrendous experience - I needed a few days to recover from the flight, which sort of defeats the purpose of going on a relaxing holiday in the first place: never again!

In the early 2000s (after I left Japan in 1999) I did at least 3 trips back to Japan and joined tours operated by the Japanese Railway Society but since then I understand that they don't operate such tours these days.

My suggestion is that you make contact with Ffestiniog Travel (the profits of which support the Ffestiniog Railway) who have operated tours to Japan. Apart from arranging group tours I understand that they are good at arranging individual tours.

You can find them on: www.ffestiniogtravel.co.uk

I've not used them myself but have not heard anything bad about them. My only connection with them is that I'm a member of the Welsh Highland Railway Society.

Keith

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The new radiator grille has arrived from Germany this morning.

Not bad service to say I ordered it late Monday and they had to order the part in.

Now to see if it's the right fit although that will be a later date.

I use Autodoc (download the app its cheaper pricing) it all comes from Germany the bits I have bought have all been OEM and half the price if not even cheaper than main dealer 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

if you want your Deltic to sound like a Deltic then the fleet will be somewhat smaller....

If, on the other hand, you want it to really look like a Deltic then fill the room with thick blue smoke 😂   Humming or droning along to yourself at the same time can be a method of achieving a larger fleet whilst maintaining Deltic sounds.  

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

... My suggestion is that you make contact with Ffestiniog Travel (the profits of which support the Ffestiniog Railway) who have operated tours to Japan. Apart from arranging group tours I understand that they are good at arranging individual tours.

You can find them on: www.ffestiniogtravel.co.uk

I've not used them myself but have not heard anything bad about them. ...

Me too - a friend of mine (who is an FR member) has used them several times and speaks highly of them. If they are operating to Japan, then I'd suggest to @iL Dottore  they are worth checking out. 

Staring out of the window earlier at the gap through which I can see our local railway line, I saw a weedkilling train pass. I looked on realtime trains but it was not listed - we have a basic 'strike' service today. I also saw one on Saturday, again, this was not listed. Previously, I've found [non passenger] trains listed - it's a handy site for checking on specials, especially when they start running late. Does anyone know if there's been a change in policy? I'm also a little surprised to have two within 48 hours, normally we just have an annual visit and that's it. 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

..... After due consideration it has been decided to rename it as "The Ministry for Cakes, Puds, Desserts and Biscuits".  Of course if anything has been overlooked then this could change.....

What, such as the opportunity to form a rude acronym? 😉 .... 🤔

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Who took delivery of a load of skirting and architrave for the Great H/S/L refurb.  I got a text at 0906 saying that the driver was 2 stops away and would be with me shortly.  He called me later to say that the sat nav was telling him he was an hour away.  He finally arrived at 1pm, having started work at 2am from Birmingham.  Why?  Effin' protesters on the M25, that's why.  He's still got deliveries to make, then drive back to Birmingham - I dread to think how many hours he will have worked.  I hope he gets overtime.

That's not a Beary Rant, by the way (it's not a problem for me) - it's a Driver Rant on his behalf (though he was as nice as pie).  The sooner the Police start tying ropes around their ankles and draggin' them off the road behind a Police Van the better.  That bit definitely is a Beary Rant.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5