The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

But “Getting my attention“ is only the first step. Once they have my attention, they need to make me sympathetic to their cause. (and the moronic stunts the eco-zealots have pulled to date are not going to do that).

Fortunately, as I read extensively and across all Political viewpoints, I am already aware of the seriousness of climate change (no matter whether this change is man-made, human facilitated or part of a longer natural cycle).

Quite frankly, I find it totally absurd (and not a little obscene) that when faced with the equivalent of a raging forest fire certain individuals are squabbling about whether or not it was due to a lightning strike or some idiot with some matches instead of doing something concrete to fight the fire.

VW isn't getting a lot of sympathy from me after they deliberately and fraudulently circumvented the EPA emissions test for the TDi.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Have there been any significant events that might make the UK less palatable for investment in the past few years.

That can't be answered without getting too political.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It would be interesting to see what race, religion, nationality etc. those 14% fall into.

Ignoramus?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Quite frankly, I find it totally absurd (and not a little obscene) that when faced with the equivalent of a raging forest fire certain individuals are squabbling about whether or not it was due to a lightning strike or some idiot with some matches instead of doing something concrete to fight the fire.

In this part of the world, with all the meteorological technology available, every lightning strike is detected/recorded, so whether the causes are natural or human-caused is known very quickly. Forensic analysis of human-caused fires usually requires the fire to be (essentially*) out.

* Even when 100% contained (meaning an effective fireline around the perimeter) they still burn and hot spots can do so even after rain or snow for many months.

Not all individuals are suitable for the extreme hazards of fighting wildfires.

A lot of resources are dedicated to wildfires. CAL FIRE has more than 60 aircraft, Oregon has exclusive access to 27 aircraft and Washington around 25. These include air tankers/bombers, helicopters and aircraft suitable for deploying smoke jumpers. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

I've just checked progress on the paint stripper and it is working....slowly.  That was to be expected - I've had it covered with plastic (stops it drying out) and I've just splodged (technical term) a second layer on top of the first as suggested for multi-layer paint (this stuff goes back to the mid-1920's - when paint really was paint, not the wishy washy water-based lead free cr@p they peddle nowadays)**.  I'll leave it overnight before having another shuftie - hopefully it will've worked it's magic by then.  It certainly is a lot more friendly than Nitromors to use - no fumes (actually a very mild quite pleasant smell) and no sudden burning on yer paws when you get splashed (yeah yeah, I know you're s'posed to wear gloves - but that'd mean reading instructions, and how many of us do that?).

(**That's a Rant, for the avoidance of any doubt).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

It would be interesting to see what race, religion, nationality etc. those 14% fall into.

Watch Panorama and you could find out. Probably a similar demographic to those in the US who thought Sandy Hook wasn’t real. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Naughty, naughty, Bear!

Such things are of no importance at all. Absolutely none*

How dare you put forward such a terrible notion that one or more of the above could explain the findings referred to.

What next? Suggesting that the animosity between Celtic and Rangers fans might be due to a bit more than football???

It will never do!

* and if you believe that I have some prime seaside property in Nevada to sell you

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I thought here in the UK we were better than this, that 14% of a survey believe the Manchester Arena attack was faked is shocking.

Shocking but unsurprising.

The human ability for cognitive dissonance is quite amazing. As in: if it doesn't comport with my worldview, then I just choose to not believe it or distrust the source.

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I am quite sceptical of many of these articles. There are certainly lunatics and idiots out there but I think it is a crazy fringe. 

In the old days, to be part of the loony fringe you had to pay for a subscription and get mimeographed, typewritten "conspiracy theories R' us" monthly newsletters in the post. These days there's oceans of online nonsense and even mainstream propaganda outlets guising as legitimate news organizations.

For those with an inclination for cognitive dissonance, when a "news outlet" tells you the other news media is lying to you, it's easy for the willing to believe nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Unless you read a paper properly (not just a media report written by a reporter who might have read the abstract) it's not really possible to form a judgement.

The article in question, would be improved by a link to the actual survey results quoted in the headline, rather than the brief mention in this paragraph:

The survey of more than 4,000 people, weighted to be representative of the UK population and carried out earlier this month by King's College London, also suggests that 14% believe the 2017 Manchester Arena attack probably involved "crisis actors" who pretended to be injured.

A quick internet search did not find the survey in question. 

The article is not really related to the survey, mentioning it in passing, but the actions of individuals stalking Manchester bombing survivors to promote conspiracy theories online and the impact that has personally on the survivors.

The editorial choice to focus the headline on the survey rather than the actual reporting is an issue here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, PeterBB said:

... climate change ...  modern stations are also less polluting ...

They are. This is a big part of the race to swap coal for natural gas in US power stations. But burning carbon inevitably produces CO2. The chemistry is immutable. Using fuels that heat more water per CO2 generated helps, but is a stop-gap.

... fields of solar panels - the latter need to be legally required on all new housing - also cut down on food production, as do plant based fuels, just see the deforestation that these type of 'solutions' cause.

Solar panels don't have to go on farmland. There's a highway interchange locally where wasteland in the corner is a solar farm, and many places use goats to keep down the weeds under solar farms - so they can also coexist. Solar panels are often used on corporate carparks in the US southwest - they're a combination shade shelter for the cars and generating plant.

The whole point of using sustainable forest products for fuel is that the forests are regrown. There are of course biodiversity issues with this. The forests grown for fuel are not a 'natural forest' and tend to have a single dominant species, but they don't, in the long run represent 'deforestation' unless they replace an 'old forest'.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

We also need to remember that metals are rare and that in cars the use of plastics is /was a means of slowing down the mining and exhaustion of the metals.  

However, we also need to remember what plastics are manufactured from - petroleum products. Burning for energy is not the only use to which oil and gas are put. As cheap oil becomes scarcer, how will the available supplies be allocated? 

Look around yourself right now. How much of what you can see is manufactured/derived from gas or oil? How would those be replaced in the production of those items?

I found this book thought-provoking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Emergency

Since it’s predictive, there’s obviously much you can disagree with, but it raised quite a few points that I had never even considered.

Edited by pH
Item accidentally posted before I’d finished typing.
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

In the past I have battled the Indian online visa system for MiL when she travelled to India.

For UK citizens you can’t do this anymore you have to present yourself and documents to an Indian Visa centre in London or a few other large cities. I had a look at the countries who could do it all online. It would appear to be everywhere except the UK and Pakistan. 

Someone recently posted a comedy bit called "Getting Past Indian Immigration" in the "Things that make you :)" thread.

Perhaps it will amuse, or cut a little too close, I'm not sure. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps it will amuse, or cut a little too close, I'm not sure.

Aditi thought it was amusing. I have sent it to my brother in law. The last bit showing the forms I should amuse him too. One of the questions asks for the visa number issued for a previous visit. Aditi’s sister last visited before visas were needed. There isn’t an official answer how to proceed.

At least for the US visa exemption form there are online instructions. One of the US questions for naturalised UK citizens wanted to know the number of the previous nationality passport.  Aditi had no idea as India required an Indian passport to be surrendered when becoming British and it was a long time ago. However the US online help said, if you didn’t know, fill the box with zeroes. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Enormous swathes of Arizona being one good example.

Not quite Arizona here in Essex but fields where sheep graze can have solar panels too, the sheep keep the grass short under the panels. 
Not all crops end up as foodstuff anyway. Bio plastics use grains that are food crops.  Some stuff originally grown for people or animals now ends up as bio ethanol. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

It just goes to show there isnt a perfect solution to energy supply/consumption.

Or to increase food security at the same time.

In other news I have been trying to get in bed for the last 20 minutes a certain larger of the 2 dachshunds wants his Rolo belly rubs. He even gently puts his mouth round your arm and moved it to the parts he wants rubbing

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... very heavy rain and a massive queue on what is laughingly called the Aston Expressway. And then near home, caught out in said very heavy rain, kids trick or treating. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/10/31/direction-uncertain/

Makes me glad that I am retired.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9