The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

German names for some of their armour:

Tiger, Panther, Brummbar (Grizzly Bear - Panzer IV), Elephant, Leopard, Puma, Lynx...

British names:

Crab, Locust, Kangeroo, Dingo, Ram, Firefly. 

And one phrase which has stuck in my mind while somebody eminent was discussing early British defensive tank 'doctrine', "...concealed tanks will emerge from their hiding places like savage rabbits".  (And this was before the Pythons' Caerbannog Rabbit)! 

Well somebody chose a name out of the MoD tank name book.. Challenger was going to be Cheviot.. a mean Armoured sheep...

Luckily, sense prevailed

Baz

• Like 6
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

It seems that Prince H is gonna call his book "Spare".  That should go down well at Buck House.....🤣

Mind you, as it seems he's getting a cool £20M for it then I doubt he gives a flying f.......

Hmmm, maybe Bear should consider life as an Author.....I could call the first book "Bear"; it rhymes with "Spare", so that's a pretty good start.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Other British tank names 

Churchill

Valentine

Matilda

Comet

Tetrarch 

Crusader

A10

A13

Churchill.. heavy tank

Vickers Armstrong LimitedEngineers Newcastle on Tyne(!)- private company design

Mantilla..  infantry tank

Comet ..what became a Main Battle Tank but the next generation of the Cruiser tank)

Tetrach..  glider Bourne tank

Crusader.. Cruiser tank 

A10,A13 no tank name book at that time

Centurion ws the first UK Main Battle Tank

Next up Conqueror followed by Chieftain, Challenger (1) , Challenger 2 and now... Challenger 3.

Scimitar, Sabre, Sultan etc are all light vehicles (aka Dinky Toys) of about 4T..  part of the Combat Vehiles (Tracked), Fox was a member of the Combat Vehilce (wheeled) as was Vixen...

See there is a reason for these names...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Father Xmas lives at the North Pole( next door to Polybear) and there are no penguins up there. 

Yes, penguins do not live in the artic. I share your objection relative to a Coca-Cola commercial featuring penguins and polar bears.

However, the notion of a magical workshop inhabited by toymaking elves on melting sea ice offers leeway for some solecism in the geographical range of penguins. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

The new weather app on my iPad (updated today) makes air quality index  more prominent. Having seen some of the figures for places with forest fires I suspect that our AQI of 2 is pretty good and that we can breathe safely. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It seems that Prince H is gonna call his book "Spare". 

... I could call the first book "Bear"; it rhymes with "Spare", so that's a pretty good start.....

Presumably based on the expression "an heir and a spare".

Bear and a spare?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that Prince H is gonna call his book "Spare".  That should go down well at Buck House.....🤣

Mind you, as it seems he's getting a cool £20M for it then I doubt he gives a flying f.......

I presume it's an abbreviation of the phrase "Heir and a Spare" 🤔     

Well, he's currently not the Heir .....

In Other News

Perhaps Puppers has identified another project?

https://silodrome.com/de-havilland-mosquito-project-plane/

Oh well.  Perhaps not ......

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

German names for some of their armour:

Tiger, Panther, Brummbar (Grizzly Bear - Panzer IV), Elephant, Leopard, Puma, Lynx...

British names:

Crab, Locust, Kangeroo, Dingo, Ram, Firefly. 

As a World Of Tanks player working up the British line can attest there is/was also a Tortoise and a Badger..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Haven't heard of a "Badger".. but Tortoise.. yep..

Covenanter, charioteer.. and the original Challenger (WW2 style), black prince... some great names..

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

... Centurion was the first UK Main Battle Tank

Next up Conqueror followed by Chieftain, Challenger (1) , Challenger 2 and now... Challenger 3.

Scimitar, Sabre, Sultan etc are all light vehicles (aka Dinky Toys) of about 4T..  part of the Combat Vehicles (Tracked), Fox was a member of the Combat Vehicle (wheeled) as was Vixen...

See there is a reason for these names...

Baz

Changing services (and nations), I always thought the Japanese naming conventions for their ships was logical and had a poetic balance. Wikipedia I'm afraid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions#:~:text=Establishment of ship naming conventions 1905 [ edit],names%3A They were named voluntarily by Naval Minister. 

I wonder why C & S as initials. Any clues? 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Haven't heard of a "Badger".. but Tortoise.. yep..

Covenanter, charioteer.. and the original Challenger (WW2 style), black prince... some great names..

Baz

World Of Tanks as a game originally began with historic tanks of WW2 but as it has evolved over the years the need to add more and more tanks means its time period has stretched to the present day and also project tanks and 'what ifs'  that never saw the light of day are represented. The Badger is one such -

"The Badger is an anti-tank vehicle based on the body of the FV-214 Conqueror heavy tank; the main gun was planned to be a 120mm gun, but the project was cancelled before any were built."

WOT is a Russian game and thus shows a pretty noticeable Russian bias, Russian tanks are death dealing snipers that have a cloak of invisibility so any shots you fire at them often mysteriously just disappear into space.

That said, the "best" tank in the game overall is definitely considered to be  the FV4201  Chieftain,  once you earn  the  L11A5 120mm gun.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

I then travel to Canley for our conference

The one just outside Coventry?  It had the pleasure of my company twice today.  Briefly.  Just passing through, you understand.  

7 hours ago, BoD said:

Our doctor's system tells you what number you are in the queue.

As does ours.  Though it doesn't suggest how long you might wait.  I was "Next in line" once and waited a further 15 minutes.  

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

There are 7 sets of IC225s. All will be in this livery according to the set owner/manager.

Very smart they look; I was witness to a couple of them on a recent foray down the line towards Y**kshire.  But all I got offered to ride on was a Zoomer.  I'm not sure whether those are better than the opposition's Pendalini or not.  I have completed seven trips on the latter in the past few weeks with one being on a refurbished set.  The others were all very tired and mostly somewhat defective in catering and hygiene departments.  The refurb - perhaps unsurprisingly - was all working with hot drinks, paper where it should be in the cubicles and no excess of liquid (which it is to be hoped is only spilled water) on the floors therein.  The "Friday Charter" set used between Crewe, London and Manchester also looks very smart and is in the traditional IC livery rather than the LNER "ox-blood" variant.  

49 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

As a World Of Tanks player working up the British line can attest there is/was also a Tortoise and a Badger..

The concept of an Ar$etortoise to match the Badger boggles the mind!  

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1