The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

48 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

* Why is it that I have word-perfect memories of jingles and song-lyrics right through from my earliest days but struggle to remember important stuff from the same period.

I do know  though is that if I was bloody well in charge I would make it law that any science or maths discovery must be set to a jaunty theme tune, or must at the  very  least rhyme, so the kiddies can remember it and thus we'll all be a smarter society overall.

34 minutes ago, pH said:

One of my mates at school and then university was very good at making up mnemonics. As a result of one of them, over 50 years later, I can easily list the essential amino acids. However, there is no way this site’s profanity filter would allow me to post the mnemonic!

Daniel Radcliffe related that his ability to sing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" (on the Graham Norton Show) got him the role of Weird Al.

I don't think it will help you learn the periodic table however.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This is from this morning - fog and wildfire smoke (and the same tree).

image.png.bf62025b2770c9f7d65a0dc225cfc9a0.png

That’s pretty bad! At the moment, I’m having trouble seeing the tops of mountains 3 to 4 miles away across the inlet, which is bad enough. I will not be going to play soccer tomorrow morning.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

An evening full of light up the sky with lightning. Amazing stuff. Never seen it on such a scale before. Worked its way W to NW to N on the far side of Anglesey before arriving overhead with accompanying loud thunder and downpour as well as a short power outage. All part of the big low system off Portugal.

It is quiet now so just about to turn the light off and snuggle down.

So,

’ night all and nos da.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

THATS not interesting news! says my MSN newsfeed where the top UK news item is "McDonald's fans 'shaken' after learning what sweet and sour sauce is made from".

Evan-May Gillott, 27, claims to have been left 'shaken' after finding out her favourite sauce contained fruit, having never even so much as 'associated' the condiment with fruit.

I am (almost) speechless!

Apart from plumbing new depths of ignorance (I mean most sentient beings do have at least a rough idea of what’s in their food), there’s also the exaggerated and (definitely) over-the-top reaction. 

Shaken!?? - at the news there’s fruit in a sauce?  I wonder what her reaction would be if she turned a corner and came up face-to-face with a hungry Ursus Maritimus? Faint? Run away, screaming? Soil herself?

Finding out that my slice of £3.50 LDC only contains “lemon flavouring” would (maybe) leave me a bit annoyed - coming face-to-face with a hungry bear/tiger or a p1ssed off wildebeest would certainly leave me a tad shaken… 

• Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Reading can bring great joy and the world is a sadder place without it.

I’m sure the residents of a major town in Berkshire agree. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still somewhat darkish, and it's damp and dismal too.  Rain is set to continue for at least a couple of hours but there may be some sunny spells this afternoon and the temperature is a very mild 15°C.

Bin lorries are due but the first one is running late.

Sainsbury's are due at 9.00.

The Boss is off out all day to Nicki's so I will be I/C GDB Towers.  Hmm, now I wonder what I could do/get up to/break  etc? 🤔

Time to think about what to have for breakfast.

Thought about it and it's porridge....again.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good thing that you didn't walk past parliament then. Pkenty of rats there.

Jamie

The only problem is that they seem to becoming immune to the poison that's used and I include the two legged variety variety there as well.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

On a slightly more serious note though.  This month's PM announced that she was committed to the triple lock on thecstatecpension thus promising many of us about £800 muddling tokens extra in 23/24. What she didn't say is what's going to happen with Public sector pensions and benefits. These should rise by the same amount.  I'm not holding my breath.  I wonder what rise MP's will get.

Jamie

Oh Jamie we have to look after the poor little darlings. If we didn't they'd get up to all sort of mischief- like over inflating there expenses (duck house anyone) or claiming tax reductions on second homes, or getting bungs Oh sorry they've already done that. Did my cynasium show there.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I am (almost) speechless!

Apart from plumbing new depths of ignorance (I mean most sentient beings do have at least a rough idea of what’s in their food), there’s also the exaggerated and (definitely) over-the-top reaction. 

Shaken!?? - at the news there’s fruit in a sauce?  I wonder what her reaction would be if she turned a corner and came up face-to-face with a hungry Ursus Maritimus? Faint? Run away, screaming? Soil herself?

Finding out that my slice of £3.50 LDC only contains “lemon flavouring” would (maybe) leave me a bit annoyed - coming face-to-face with a hungry bear/tiger or a p1ssed off wildebeest would certainly leave me a tad shaken… 

Just note though that she classes herself as an 'influencer' with several thousand followers so theres obviously a lot of ignorance out there.

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My little brother could read very early on, and had terrible reports all the way through school for not paying attention... Till he did his SCE O grades and got an A* or distinction in everything. Then the school finally realised he way way ahead of every one in class and bored.. He did the same in SCE Highers and University.

I've read many of the science fiction writers at around the age of 9-10-11, but gradually left those for factual books.

Our local library didn't have separate rooms for childrens books.. Just a different book shelves , so you could just pick what you wanted  from anywhere. Though walking out of the library at age 12 with a 3 inch thick hefty book on Paleolithic Archeaology raised a few eyebrows.. Though not from the librarian as she had gotten used to my selections..

Pret a manger spreading like rats... hmm seems appropriate, they both have been known to kill, without meaning too.

Mooring awl,

3 hour plus 2 hours, long awake, plus 2 hour sleep a good total, but it left me later than normal leaving for work.. 

The car is driving much better after the MOT and service... Unfortunately they changed a wing indicator bulb, and in the couple of days since,  the plastic cover has fallen off, SWMBO will be bending ears this morning.

Two major systems have thrown a wobbly, I'm re running one section of one, unfortunately the same section has failed on another, which may or may not just be outside interference. But until I can re run this automatic section on the other, I just won't know. 

So in the meantime, I'm measuring a resistor box, a very special resistor box. It's got 10 different resistors in it, it's got it's own built in temperature oven to keep them all at a stable value. I've just completed the 500K ohm value, and it's average drift rate is 0.01 parts per million per month. The box is used to calibrate other instruments.

Just waiting for the 100K Ohm value of the reference resistor to settle. 

I've been researching the prezzie.. I was thinking of a laser cutter / engraver, SWMBO has suggested a plastic printer..

anyone got ideas which may be better for our hobby  /  possible craft work for her?

Time to go check what's happening on the automatic run..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Daniel Radcliffe related that his ability to sing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" (on the Graham Norton Show) got him the role of Weird Al.

I don't think it will help you learn the periodic table however.

A certain Bear passed Chemistry O-level Grade C; as I recall much of the exam was multiple choice - some answers I knew, whilst the rest were either "best guess" or "I haven't had a "B" lately - I'll tick that.

Seemed to work OK.....

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

She needn't fear - Bear is (as iD knows all too well) very fussy about what he eats, and idiots like that most definitely aren't on the menu.

30 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh Jamie we have to look after the poor little darlings. If we didn't they'd get up to all sort of mischief- like over inflating there expenses (duck house anyone) or claiming tax reductions on second homes, or getting bungs Oh sorry they've already done that. Did my cynasium show there.

The (2009?) radio interview with certain MP who claimed for 500 trees was played on the radio yesterday - boy, what a Grade A Tw@t.  Apparently his constituents were "Jealous".

Bear here....

It's hissin' down - a lot - and is expected to do so all morning too, with a chance of hail as well.  So a visit to the Co-op most definitely won't be happening after all, and I suspect the Bin persons are less than happy either.

Today sees some more work on the chassis construction jig mods., followed by planning where to drill the holes in the base of the display case for mounting the various bits; fortunately I kept a sketch of the dimensions from the last time I made a similar version, so not all bad.

In other news:

Impressed - the truck's doing pretty well too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-63296814

Bear gone.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Oh, @Barry O Baz, I have settled on using the sides of the finger sort of in line with the beginning of the nail for the lancet.  It appears I have soft, thin flesh there that needs little needle penetration to get a sample, not too many nerve endings there either!  Trying the pad of the finger never worked well for me either.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, polybear said:

She needn't fear - Bear is (as iD knows all too well) very fussy about what he eats....

Really? 🤦‍♂️

Oven chips?

Synthetically flavoured cake?

Frozen Yorkshire Puddings?

Microwave Lasagna? etc.

Well, if you say so..... 🤣

• Funny 14

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Not a mnemonic but a good way of learning law.  DGCHAMPS was the list of animals that if you hit them constituted a road accident.  Dog, Goat, Cattle, Horse, Ass, Mule, Pig or Sheep.  That's from 1973 so  something stuck. 

So you can hit a scrote with a motor vehicle and as scrotes aren't on that list of animals you cite - running over one (and reversing over it for good measure) would thus not - legally - constitute a road accident?

What an intriguing notion....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10