The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We were sent, snail Mail, appointments at our surgery for the covid jab. Flu & shingles jabs are bookable - NHS Wales - though some get the covid jab at the vaccination centre.

‘ night all and nos da.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning.  It's going to be warm today according to the seaweed twirlers.  Mid 20's apparently.   Yesterday was a good day.  The mountain of ironing got done, wine supplies werectopped up, Diesel was purchased and I got some more muddling done.  I also visited the widowvof a friend who died recently.  I wasn't looking forward to the visit but it wentvwell with much talk about Mike and some laughter.  Especially when she told me her two immediste problems.  The first was that she didn't know the computer password the second would make a good comedy sketch.  The Undertakers  had buried Mike without emptying his pockets.  As a result Kathy can see where the car keys are frim her lounge window, but can't get at them.

Anyway it's supermarket day then probably more time spent removing old loose putty and re puttying wi dow panes.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Jamie,

Not knowing the password..  understandable.

Burying the keys... only in France

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

Please don't get me started on GPs again Rick!

Bear's GP's Surgery is rather good, apart from the need to play Bullsh1t Bingo at 8am if you want an appointment.  Just thought I'd mention that......😁

Bear here......

A much better night's sleep fortunately - I even banged out a bit earlier than usual (= 10pm) so missed the News - which was no great loss whatsoever.  If only it hadn't been spoiled by Number One's (twice) - yet I can go thru' a whole morning with none quite easily.  Yep, Rant.

In other news:

I'm sure that AVM @Dave Hunt wouldn't be tempted by an offer of £240K, would you?  Dave? Dave?  Anyone seen Dave?......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63293582

And finally.....

Very clever - but totally mad.......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/mad-genius-sticks-a-yamaha-rd350-engine-inside-a-1960s-lambretta-scooter/ar-AA134i5t?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c4df3e3528d143a3916b8f9d9412e673

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I'm sure that AVM @Dave Hunt wouldn't be tempted by an offer of £240K, would you?  Dave? Dave?  Anyone seen Dave?......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63293582

Hmmmmm that's not very clever is it .........  Badgers!

2 hours ago, polybear said:

WHAT A WASTE OF AN RD350!!!!         And that most definitely is a rant.

Actually I've seen one of those at the Sunday morning Hitchin Market Place meet.    

Still a waste of a fantastic machine (and I'm not talking Lambrettas!)

In other news:

Off for Covid jabbage this morning.

TTFNQ

• Like 14

Garage door man arrived removal of old door ongoing.

When they have finished I will have to hardwire the wiring in. The motor terminates to a 3 pin plug, I have supplied an extension lead as a temporary fix. I have plenty of suitable twin and earth cable I just need a unswitched socket and run the cable back to a junction box that supplies an existing socket. That's a job for the weekend (or next week as its half term already)

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny with blue sky but no wind today.

Outdoors 10.4°C. Indoors a nice 18.5°C.

Tempting to go out to the garden, later, to have a look at a few possible plants I could put in my plant basket. Plenty of small rocks for decoration to choose from as we sit on top of boulder clay, and a bag of slate chippings for the pathways to delve into. <<I don't think a tiny amount will be missed!>

Mugadecaf then a wander out front, first. The sun will reach the garden a bit later.

Take care. Keep motivated. Hope all goes well, today.

Polly

Rather than putting everything straight into the plant basket, I thought it better to try a few plants in some small pots, first. The clear plastic containers originally held morello cherries or mixed peel - very versatile!

IMG_6095.jpg.705bdf6d1ea2f435ae7a4f901986224e.jpg

The yellow flowering sedum grows along a raised bed's stone wall. Lovely to see it still in flower. The Ivy-leaved toadflax (far right) was growing on a high stone wall in small pockets until I put some in the ground when it took off and covered everything! I have no idea as to what the smallest leaved thing is. Growing through slate chippings on the garden path. It remains to be seen which, if any, survive indoors. 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Not just in France…….

Eight fellow ER'ers "like" this post, whilst two more find it "Informative/Interesting".

And a certain Bear is totally mystified by it........

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

Hmmmmm that's not very clever is it .........  Badgers!

Bear's Easy fix:  If you go, you've lost your pension.....

Bear here.....

A busy - and expensive morning.  The Bearmobile went for it's 60,000 mile service today (but has only done 33,000 miles) and covered only 1300 miles since the service this time last year; as a consequence it didn't get the uber-extensive (= f.expensive) "proper service" but a basic one instead (the Dealer suggested that - and Bear didn't argue....), plus a brake fluid change and MOT.  Bye bye 1.5 Deltics 😭   I felt compelled to soften the blow by scoffin' a "Big Breakfast" at a nearby Cafe whilst work was carried out; there was a guy outside with a rather nice BMW R100 that I spoke to for a few minutes whilst there.  After that it was a scout round the (R/C) Model Shop over the road - no choo choos, but some nice stuff all the same - though current model shops are a poor substitute for those of a Bear's youth, back when you actually had to build a plane (foam wings were considered hi-tech back then) rather than put a battery in it and go.  That's a mini-Rant.  I did spend on some 6" Abra-file blades they had (in fact I cleared their stocks out) - they disappeared years ago despite being ultra useful, so to actually find some was a real result.

On a positive note it does mean that MG enrols the Bearmobile for another year's freebie AA breakdown/recovery/homestart cover (which would cost Bear £189 if I went direct to AA) so it ain't so bad after all.

But the best bit?  A new friend (plus racksack) comes to stay at Bear Towers as a freebie with every service:

82391986_IMG_32371.JPG.753b810ab51dbceb246a7499253daeb7.JPG

Sadly he's currently un-named though - and he's very sad as a result 😢  So a name is needed......

In other news.....

On the way home Bear stopped at the local Orange Shed for a big lump of 70mm by 18mm PAR Timber - and guess what?  The very first bit I picked up was dead straight, no warps, twists or splits, few knots and reasonably finished.  Now when's the last time that ever happened?  I'll give it 24 hours and it'll be looking like a ship's propeller....

And finally.....

The custom Display Case that Bear ordered several weeks ago was delivered this morning - I've yet to unpack it.

Oh yes, remember that supplier of replacement bits to fit the new Atten Soldering Iron I mentioned yesterday?  Well I placed an order at 13:20 yesterday and they were delivered sometime this morning (for zero delivery charge cos' I spent just over £25 as I added some other stuff too).  The bits?  Well if they're fake then I'm a Hippo....

Oh yes, I'll just add a Rant.....

A Book of eight 2nd Class Stamps were the best part of five and a half notes - Bear can remember when they were 5.5p (that'll be 1975).  Jeez.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Chewsday.

Yesterday evening dinner a great success, accolades from all, so must've been worth it.

Then some enjoyable conversation and wine "tasting".

Today the ladies' book club is here at 2pm, so I may find a way to make myself scarce, so as to avoid being roped in for some chores or other to help out!

Weather decidedly nippy with a -5C start, sunny and still -2 at11am. May just reach 3-4 if we're lucky later, before heading below zero again overnight.

Onward.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13