The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Glacier Express travels regularly through the station serving the Holiday Hovel/CC's Mountain Redoubt, although it doesn't stop there.

They now have a very luxurious package (Excellence Class Classic) which is heavily booked out in advance (the first available seats are not until December 12th) Two tickets in this class - one way (Zermatt - St Moritz) cost a total of CHF1'476 (about £1'300). But what an experience (see: https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express-excellence-class).

Here's a review: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a27613054/glacier-express-switzerland-launches-excellence-class/

One drawback is that the available souvenirs are pretty poor - if you want a souvenir Glacier Express train in HOm - you'll have to hunt it down and they cost a pretty penny. A total of a few hundred SFr if you want to have a BEMO starter set (if you can find one, that is)

Captain Cynical rents out part of his Alpine Redoubt™ tunnel network to the MGB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furka_Base_Tunnel) 😃

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our Glacier Express experience was First Class not Hyper-Expensive Class, and that cost quite enough thank you!  fantastic week though.

We found this big Toblerone, knocked on the door but iD wasn't in, or more likely, saw who it was and pretended not to be in.  Bit cold for our likeing anyway.

P1050185.JPG.72c23b431aec16eb43fc8b3da90026d3.JPG

I'll have to check those lottery tickets.

• Like 6
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I asked about the idea of the Flu and Covid jab on the same day.. Knock me down with a feather..  that's how the Marie Celeste is running it... apart from people who are desperate for the flu jab and can't be feshed to have the Covid booster!

Baz 

Our surgery do both together too but once they said that the covid clinics were full I decided to go for the flu jab and just look elsewhere for the covid one.  It was only on passing reception that I decided to ask on the off chance ….  A pity that whoever took the booking on the phone couldn’t see that there were indeed  slots available on the Wednesday when they could have done both.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I asked about the idea of the Flu and Covid jab on the same day.. Knock me down with a feather..  that's how the Marie Celeste is running it... apart from people who are desperate for the flu jab and can't be feshed to have the Covid booster!

Baz 

Booked the flu jab as like others they did not do the two together.   Anyway had the Covid 5th a while back ... had a fixed appointment for the flu jab at one of the surgeries in town; booked in saw a rather long queue; thought SWMBO will have a long wait (parking in Salisbury is an expensive nightmare) but suddenly the receptionist said quite loudly 'Flu jab only ... take a seat over there" .  Within a minute I was called into a different room ; had said jab and was out in no time.  A few weeks ago when asked why the two could not be given together I was informed that the surgery had not yet had its allocation.  The other surprise was a two day arm ache  but heh ho 'tis done.  SWMBO still trying to get a date for the flu jab but ended up getting her Covid the day before me!

Edited by PeterBB
typo
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No sign of Arthur Itis this evening but the pills will be taken before I go to bed. Its going to be chilly tonight with predicted clear skies and a light easterly breeze and the possibility of frost in the morning. Now time to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

By heck the wind has got up its blowing a right hoolie outside

Same here, sporadically.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

As the pain is still there I think a stronger liquid anaesthetic is called for.  Just need to decide whether it's French, Scottish or Welsh. 

After GDB's antics today this Bear suggests all three would be quite in order.....

Jabs?  Flu was done in the local village Boots - all very efficient and by appointment, whilst C-19 No.4 was done at a Chemist a few miles away - which is very conveniently just a couple of minute's walk away from the Cafe used by myself plus a couple of M.E. Group buddies, so the jab was timed to coincide with a Bacon n' Egg Baguette + Chips.......

Nottalot (= bvggerall) this afternoon; I did start watching Tony Wright's Loco Construction Video No. 1 once more, but lack of sleep last night meant Bear was falling asleep so I aborted it until I'm bouncier.  Mention was made in the video of Peco 1/8" insulated fibre washers - Bear investigated a source of these but it seems that pretty much everywhere (incl. Peco) are OOS;  I did find one or two places but then discover that the postage is the same (or more) than the washers.  Turdycurses.

The clever car battery charger seems to have done it's stuff - by 5pm it wasn't charging anymore and the display was reading 12.9v, so that's a Tick.

I watched some of the shennanagins in a certain Big House this afternoon - all they seem to do is play snipey ping pong with each other and not actually do any work or agree/achieve anything.  And they get paid for that too.  FFS.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Mention was made in the video of Peco 1/8" insulated fibre washers - Bear investigated a source of these but it seems that pretty much everywhere (incl. Peco) are OOS;  I did find one or two places but then discover that the postage is the same (or more) than the washers. 

Are the ones that Eileen’s Emporium sell suitable? I think last time I bought from them I got free post as I spent more than £30 (I think) but I don’t think they charged a lot for postage.  Whatever it was it was cheaper than me driving anywhere to buy some. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Our surgery employs dragons.  Their function seems to be to prevent you gaining access to a GP.  They quiz you to within an inch of your life if you call to make an appointment and seem to have a specially offputting set of questions if you dare to ask for a face-to-face consultation.  If you walk in they will stare hard at you and - when it suits them - ask if you have an appointment.  If the answer is in the negative you are abruptly told to leave the surgery and make on online or by phone.  If yes then you are reminded equally brusquely that check-in is by electronic touch-screen at the door not at the counter.  You wish to hand in a specimen?  They'll take it from you with confirmation - loud enough for all around to hear - thanking you for your stool / urine / other bodily fluid specimen and they'll be in touch .....  

I go elsewhere for jabs.  Work offers flu jabs and I was "done" there two weeks ago.  The local urgent treatment centre has a Covid vaccine program and I was dealt with there around three weeks ago.  Neither ask questions and work doesn't even require an appointment.  

I had a GP face-to-face consultation scheduled for today.  I booked it online three weeks ago.  Today was the earliest my GP could manage a face-to-face but I could have had a call-back within an hour.  I need to actually be seen and some checks done which cannot be self-administered nor done online.  Ten minutes before I set off for the surgery I received a call therefrom.  Clearly not one of the regular dragons as she sounded very pleasant and cheerful.  My GP had been taken ill and was, for what ever reason, being taken to hospital.  My appointment was therefore cancelled. 

After much discussion - very pleasantly toned I must say - and consideration of alternatives I chose to see another GP.  The next face-to-face is another three weeks away.  I hope my condition doesn't prove to be urgent.  I really only need a re-prescription of my asthma inhalers but in order to get that I need to be checked out in person.  

We have tried to change surgeries because we are very unhappy at the "service" we receive from the reception staff; the doctors themselves are fine once you get to see one.  There is an NHS process for doing this.  The forms were submitted and a couple of phone calls made.  The result was a terse "Computer Says No" as no other surgery is willing to take on "out-of-area" patients.  The university offers GP services to the general public as well as students but they also are not prepared to accept new patients who are already registered locally.  

So I'm as up-to-date as I can be with the various jabs (and Dr. SWMBO will be by this time tomorrow) but am no closer to having other matters dealt with.  We went private in Australia where the Medicare system pays a contribution to your costs if you choose to do that rather than use their own network.  Most GPs there are private practices.  It's the other way around here with most GPs under the NHS so far as we can tell.  And there's no rebate for using a private practitioner should you choose to do so.  I'm not going to clog up A&E if my inhalers run out but I can understand why people do such things.  

Please don't get me started on GPs again Rick!

• Friendly/supportive 13