The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies....

image.png.3cd9cebd9262846f79846636a66a5a4b.png

image.png.aa1e329b456a5951fbee396fe3eb128e.png

image.png.403581795a23a9ad8db40df83b7ffdbc.png

image.png.fba4b14ad353eda0beb3fafe8f036b77.png

image.png.3890949f303b9fcf2372cdd2255c73b0.png

image.png.182df15378a649cb7f3347df083b6c30.png

image.png.7097ebe680202c6117d6960872f4ee1b.png

image.png.ab850164915bdc923d2caa6d01364ed0.png

image.png.f6ef5e010349de1405155fed132394a5.png

image.png.5073142dd9b6059ab40618d578a5f7b4.png

image.png.bd40e433527a347f459df92f1e0c936b.png

image.png.7a25bc09e5ab18b96cca0e0c1ec03959.png

image.png.dd34e0289a03ed2f409aa1dd9863b5ea.png

image.png.5f6c591c763aca6934b4d21220d469ab.png

They say '70 is the new 50'.
I still got three points on my licence though.

District nurse tells father of the newborn that he can go bathe the child.
She goes into the bathroom to see dad holding the infant by the ear and swishing him around the bathtub.
"We don't bathe a baby like that, young man"!!!
"You do when the water's bluddy hot".

A bloke walks into a restaurant fancying some calimari.
The waiter points to a fish tank and says: "we only have one squid left. The rare wild mustached green squid."
"That'll be fine" says the bloke. "Get it chopped up quick".
"Excellent choice sir. I shall summon, Gervais, our French chef."
The chef comes out, knife in hand and grabs the squid from the tank, he holds the knife up, but the squid looks at him with puppy dog eyes and whimpers.
"Pardone, Monsieur" says the chef. "I just don't have the heart to do it".
"Begone!" shouts the waiter. "I shall summon Hans, our Bavarian pot washer. He is made of sterner stuff."
Hans appears and takes the knife in his hand, but again the squid whimpers and a tear rolls down its face and drips from its mustache.
"Gott in Himmel" says the pot washer. "Bitte, mein herr, I cannot bring myself to do it".
"I'm so sorry sir" says the waiter. "I can't believe we employ such great jessies here".
"Never mind" says the bloke.
"I guess Hans that does dishes can be soft as Gervais with a mild green hairy lip squid".

Some bloke knocked on my door this morning and said, "Have you got a dog?"
I said, "Yes, why?"
He said, "Is it white, overweight, quite hairy and has a really ugly face?"
I said, "Yes, why?"
He said, "I think I've just killed it with my car".
"Well it can't be mine", I replied.
"Mine is in bed, eating toast and watching Jeremy Kyle".

11:45 Arrive at the crime scene
11:45 Examine body, signs of a struggle
11:45 Found murder weapon in storm drain
11:45 Realise watch is broken

I’m looking for somewhere to stay temporarily while I recover from a rather nasty injury that happened just before I became homeless.
What happened was my wife told me to go to the chemist’s and get some of those pills that might reawaken the part that has been inactive for a while now.
So I did and the last thing I seem to remember was handing her the big box of slimming pills.

JOB VACANCY.
Carpenters Urgently Required.
Cabinet falling apart-- Apply to
10 Downing Street,
London.
No Tools required the building is full of them.

A Woman sends a text to her husband
“Honey, don't forget to buy BREAD when you come home from work and your girlfriend Valerie greets you.”
Husband: Who is Valerie?
Wife: Nobody, I just wanted you to answer, to have confirmation that you saw my text.
Husband: But I’m with Valerie right now, I thought you saw me?
Wife: What??! Where are you?
Husband: Near the bakery.
Wife: Wait, I’m coming right now!
After 5 minutes, his wife sends a message:
Wife: I’m at the bakery, where are you?
Husband: I’m at work. Now that you’re at the bakery, buy the bread.

Me and the Mrs were in town earlier when this woman came over and said to her:
"Your husband reminds me of my cat"
"Don't tell me" she said "smooth, sleek and loyal?"
"No" she laughed "they both like sitting in the tree outside my bedroom window"

image.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Grizz said:

...  ”oh man don’t hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning!”

Some 'negative' waves:

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:

She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."

He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second.... if there is one." -  Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

All hail liquid anesthetic... 

• Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Didn't spend much at the toy fair, £4.99 in all £2 on a second hand booklet on Portugese trams and £2.99 for a small diorama in a perspex box. Interesting subject, a Victorian print shop, scale approx 1/72. What with visiting Tess Coes afterwards bought Arthur Itis out of his cave so I had to take a couple of co-codamol and a stretch out on the bed with some eyelid inspection. Now for dinner, be back later.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

The moon last night:

F3D10438-5391-4D53-804D-6557FF8A6626.jpeg.0ad192423cee12ebb73e219c41249cbd.jpeg

There are still wildfires burning fairly locally. The smoke in the air has this effect on the appearance of the moon.

(Picture taken by a neighbour. Mine weren’t up to this standard.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Corporal punishment here is pretty brutal, those wielding the cane know their trade and make sure it hurts, I am guessing it's not something people want to experience twice.

There was a bit of an international incident some years ago when a youthful* US citizen studying in Singapore was caned.

* If my arithmetic is correct he might have been 18 at the time of his alleged crimes. He had plead guilty under the proviso that this plea would preclude a caning sentence.

While worse things happen routinely in the US, in an extra-legal manner, corporal punishment is considered a violation of the "cruel and unusual punishment clause" of the Eighth Amendment.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

So where's the Jenny Agutter Barbie huh?

Don't you have access to one of those fancy high-end "additive manufacturing" (aka 3D printing) machines. Presumably you could be commissioned to build a bespoke one - for the right consideration.

• Funny 13

Portland set a record high temperature for October 15 - 87°F / >30°C. We are likely to have another day >80°F / 27°C today.

'Normal' high temperatures for this time of year is <20°C.

Air pollution ("moderate", US AQI of 63) is better than it has been, though wildfire smoke persists as a brown stain on the horizon. Television meteorologists are teasing the possibility of rain next weekend.

Meanwhile people are walking to a rocky outcrop in the middle of the Mississippi River that is normally inaccessible by foot and geologists are examining a old volcanic ash layer* in the walls of Lake Mead now exposed by low water.

* 12 million years old that may have come from the Snake River plain/Yellowstone hot spot.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear will you be able to claim compensation from RM?

Not sure on that - I'm guessing no, unless it's permanently lost; I used signed-for delivery but not one that specified a guaranteed delivery time (such as next day).  I'm also guessing that RM have a heap of get-out clauses buried in their T's & C's - which will no doubt include strike action.  'Sterds.

Incidentally, a shamefully belated Happy Anniversary from this Bear....who bows head in shame...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

35 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I learned of a new word today - "majusculation" from "majuscule", originally the opposite of "miniscule". 

Majusculation Refers to Capitalizing Words That Do Not Begin a Sentence, though it could also refer to ALL CAPS.

Two sources that probably don't resolve conflicts  - Oxford Manual of Style on titles and headlines, and capitalisation in Harvard referencing.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've been watching a program about the Glacier Express (Channel Four 7:00 pm). Another one for the bucket list. What is amazing is the on board catering serving three course meals to all 280 passengers from a miniscule kitchen. They also serve only local produce fresh not frozen. The get the requests from diners and the chef messages ahead what is required and it is ready to be loaded at the next station. Typical Swiss efficiency as @iL Dottore would say.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I learned of a new word today - "majusculation" from "majuscule", originally the opposite of "miniscule". 

Majusculation Refers to Capitalizing Words That Do Not Begin a Sentence, though it could also refer to ALL CAPS.

It's also the French words for capitals and lower case as I found out when trying to get a password.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Don't you have access to one of those fancy high-end "additive manufacturing" (aka 3D printing) machines. Presumably you could be commissioned to build a bespoke one - for the right consideration.

He has misused these pages to diss both Lamingtons AND Neighbours so shall expect no miniature Jenny Agutter from me. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 15