The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Shame but it has always been short of water. The locks are OK, the bridges are a real P1ta.

I worked the paddles/gates on the 5 rise and 3 rise once on holiday .. the lock keeper and I did the work. The wife steered our boat as she went down the licks and later when wevwent back up in company with another hire boat, the other boats crew were told to keep inside and do as they were told by the lock keeper. Hard work but boy... what a view!.

Baz

I am going to continue my love of canals from the towpath - it's quicker and you get all the benefits without the downsides.

I know that with practice I can master the stopping against the towpath and Mrs W would also get the hang of things, but I didn't feel we got time to take in the scenery like you can whilst on foot.  Maybe a motorhome would be easier to handle, one for future testing perhaps.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Rumour has it that if such things go at the bottom of the wheelie bin then they're none the wiser 😉 - though I must say that not taking a bag of old wallpaper is getting beyond a joke (though I am aware they don't like it in the paper recycling bin).

Wheelie bin? The local councils around here don't do wheelie bins, just a plastic sack.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear couldn't possibly comment for legal reasons.....

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

WHAT!?!?

What was given as the reason? It’s hardly as though they are going to run out of blue ink, is it?  I’ve checked the forum rules and nothing is stated there about font size, colour or type. Furthermore, if such things were not (perhaps it is now “formerly”) allowed, why give posters the option of choosing font size, colour and type?

The furry guy  ("Mr Profligate" as I call him) has actually been costing everyone at least 25% more in energy by making us use blue pixels instead of black. We should all now see a welcome lowering in our power bills or if viewing on a mobile device they  will now last longer before the battery goes flat.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Nearly met a cockwomble on the way to the MRC, she swept into the road I was in assuming no one was arriving at the same junction on a single track side road. I noted someone had not made the junction previously as a road sign was now at  forty five degrees.

We had at the club tonight a record for a post COVID normal Friday evening..

That's continuing members one returning member and one prospective member..

I was painting lichen on rocks. Or fitting a front to the sea.

We may not have many locks on the Broads, nor any man powered bridges, other pronoun preference named bridges are also not available except those of doubtful parentage. But I doubt woodenhead would like trying to go along side in a five mph current...

Time to finish my muggachoccy 

Goodnight Awl...

• Like 13
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Can you back your trailer without it jack-knifing in an embarrassing way at the tip?

Have a love for flies and swearing?

Want to earn (90,000GBP a year?

If so this bloke has a job for you!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-09-23/trucking-company-offers-big-salary/101409144

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Shopping has been shipped and the cupboards as well as the fridge are now full. The butchers was very busy this morning, I’ve not seen it that busy for quite some time. Although it’s a little frustrating waiting, it good to see them so busy. My pork pie was, as always excellent, especially with a small chuck of cheddar with chilli and some salad.

After dinner I did a bit more work on the circuit diagrams. I’m thinking about submitting another article to the MERG journal, this time about my turntable drive and indexing systems. However, in my finished control board I’ve used stock that I intercepted before it went to landfill. I got loads of stuff, but unfortunately, the 4pole relays I used in my control board are now unavailable. So I’m re-designing the control board using the readily available 2 pole relays. I can get it to do all the things my original can do, with the exception that this circuit does not have the electrical interlocking between the clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation, which my original circuit has. Although this is not strictly necessary, a nice to have. Anyway, once I’d redrawn the circuit, I then tested it using my ‘Crocodile Clips’ software, a few tweaks were required but happily it worked. The important thing is, it works in exactly the same way as my current circuit, so I can now proceed to the next stage. As I’ll be building this circuit on veroboard, the next stage is to draw up a new component layout plan and a new track cutting plan, as components are now different.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Am happy this evening to have had the chance to watch the Swiss Maestro from Basel (aka Roger Federer) play his last professional tennis match on the ATP tour, accompanied, in this case, by his similarly renowned doubles partner and at times, rival, Rafa Nadal.

Bittersweet but a delight all the same to see him on the court one last time.

• Like 13

A week ago, in the front range area of Colorado, east of I25, arresting police officers* placed their 20-year old female suspect in a patrol car parked on a level crossing!

* There were a bunch of them.

The car with the arrested suspect on board was struck by an Uncle Pete freight. There is police footage** (which hit the news today) of the train hitting the patrol car. The arrested woman is alive and expected to survive.

** Body cam or dashboard, I'm not sure.

One has to wonder what these cops were thinking.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

There's a Friday night football game at the local high school tonight. The stadium is around 700m away with direct line of sight from my home over a small valley with a lower lying pond/marsh/wetland in between.

They installed new downward focused lighting over the summer so the lighting is less obvious, but with the windows open I can hear the crowd, PA system and the cheerleaders. One of these days I should attend a game.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Whatever happened to allowing the odd guilty pleasure? 

I’ve always thought that a  “guilty pleasure”  was either something very minor (such as taking two chocolate biscuits at once from the biscuit tin) or very major (such as having a mistress on the side, sneaking past SWMBO another model locomotive bought “cos it looks nice” etc.). 

But where’s the guilt in Pizza and Chips?

To put it diplomatically, I’ve always been mystified (other words are available) at a certain British obsession of  “chips with everything”. A legacy of WWII perhaps - when the easiest way of filling your belly was by eating chips?

9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Were you educated by Jesuits by any chance? 

Partly.

Also, having spent so much of my life in Switzerland the concept of “korrekt” - has insinuated itself into my life. In other words: if something is to be done, it is done properly and done the “correct” way.  This seems to work for the Swiss!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Pizza with chips (well ISTR it was probably something like Patate al Forno on the menu) on top of the Pizza.  OK, so it was Lake Garda and a Tourist area

Says it all really.🤣

No matter where you are in the world, there will always be local restauranteurs who be making boatloads of cash from tourists who either know nothing (or care nothing) about local food.

Once you’ve stumped up the readies for a restaurant lease in a prime tourist area - it’s a licence to print money: have you seen the prices places are charging tourists for food & drink in locations like Piazza San Marco in Venice, at Covent Garden or in the French Quarter in New Orleans? (In Venice one December Mrs iD “indulged” in an espresso in a bar near Piazza San Marco* - €8 each; later we had a light lunch of panini in a small bar off the tourist track and used by locals - €10 for both of us)

For non-travellers, the closest approximation to the above would be the catering at certain model railway exhibitions….

* OK it was Harry’s Bar at the Cipriani 

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

About 5 hours sleep was had I could do with more.

I was talking of the salt surge Fish kill on the broads , this photo is from 17 miles inland by river at Potter Heigham..

20220924_062233049.jpeg

It's the worst fish kill since when the sea broke through the coast to the broads in 1953.

Plans for today.

I believe a trip to Cromer and Sheringham is planned...

Time to try for more sleep.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woke early for no obvious reason. Didn't win the euro dollars last night.. pah!

Today should be a lot more wire strangling. PAH!

Time to engage body motion mode  and makes some tea.

Have a good day!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Shame but it has always been short of water. The locks are OK, the bridges are a real P1ta.

I worked the paddles/gates on the 5 rise and 3 rise once on holiday .. the lock keeper and I did the work. The wife steered our boat as she went down the licks and later when wevwent back up in company with another hire boat, the other boats crew were told to keep inside and do as they were told by the lock keeper. Hard work but boy... what a view!.

Baz

I've done the section from Gargrave up to the summit.  It suffers from only having a short summit pound with most of it's reservoirs feeding lower stretches.  I've cycled the whole lrngth and it's a fabulous canal.   It would have bern even better if the two proposed canals that would have connected it to the Lancaster canal via Settle, had been built.  The branch to Settle, which would have been lock free together with water coming in from the Settle and Lancaster canal, would have helped with the wzter supply problem.  IIRC the Settle canal would have had a direct supp,y from the Ribble at it's northetn terminus.

Anyway, good moaning from a still dark Charente.  Beth had a much better day yesterday with no blood sugar problems.  As a result I'm off to a model show 80 miles north of here. It yas 5 large halls devoted to different kinds of modelling but one is exclively for models that run on parallel  strips of metal 32 mm apart.  

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The furry guy  ("Mr Profligate" as I call him) has actually been costing everyone at least 25% more in energy by making us use blue pixels instead of black. We should all now see a welcome lowering in our power bills or if viewing on a mobile device they  will now last longer before the battery goes flat.

Bear had to Google "Profligate" - apparently it means the following:

1 : wildly extravagant : very wasteful 2 : abandoned to vice and corruption : shamelessly immoral.

Wildly extravagant?  Hmmm, not this Bear.  Abandoned to vice?  Bear should be so lucky - unless of course you consider LDC falls into that category.  Corruption?  Certainly not (though, er, just how much cake did you say again?).  Shamelessly immoral?  Hang on, I need to Google again.....

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Evening Awl,

Nearly met a cockwomble on the way to the MRC, she swept into the road I was in assuming no one was arriving at the same junction on a single track side road. I noted someone had not made the junction previously as a road sign was now at  forty five degrees.

Bear gets somewhat annoyed when approaching a T-Junction with the intention of pulling out onto the main(?) road some cockwomble turning into the "side" road decides that half of your half of the road is actually their half of the road - and how DARE you be on THEIR half??  All so they can cut the corner 🤬

I look forward to the day when someone does that whilst I'm driving a hire car (or even better, van)....

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A week ago, in the front range area of Colorado, east of I25, arresting police officers* placed their 20-year old female suspect in a patrol car parked on a level crossing!

The car with the arrested suspect on board was struck by an Uncle Pete freight. There is police footage** (which hit the news today) of the train hitting the patrol car. The arrested woman is alive and expected to survive.

https://www.latestly.com/socially/world/colorado-police-officer-parked-car-on-railway-crossing-during-traffic-stop-seriously-latest-tweet-by-bno-news-4243380.html

"I obtained this video after I filed a records request with the Fort Lupton Police Department. Yareni Rios-Gonzalez has nine broken ribs, a broken arm, a fractured sternum, and numerous other injuries to her head, back and legs".

I hope the Police Dept.  has very deep pockets as I'm pretty sure they're gonna need them.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

No matter where you are in the world, there will always be local restauranteurs who be making boatloads of cash from tourists who either know nothing (or care nothing) about local food.

Bear does recall being presented with his very first "authentic" Spag. Carbonara with a little surprise; after eating it I did recall thinking "OK, but would've been soooo much better with cream...."

I guess "authentic" doesn't always mean "better".

Hat, Duffle Coat, Sarnie, sorry, cake.....gone.......

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

20220924_062233049.jpeg

You're gonna need lots of chips.......

Bear here....

Today sees a MIUABGAD - more sorting to do.

Bear gone....

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-train-hits-police-car-woman-handcuffed-back-seat-fort-lupton-colorado/

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2