The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I'd not looked at The White Rabbits Metcalf pages, mostly because I have a hatred of seeing the pale pink brick models on layout after layout, with little done to hide edges or make the models individual. His efforts are much better than I've seen elsewhere.

My own preference is for plastic card, which is a natural progression from airfix kits but I've still a long way to go till I can make something up to the standard I want.

I'm now off back to the workshop, anythings better than what on TV.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Having said that, it does look like a pretty straightforward build except for the planking of the hull – as that has to be fitted plank by plank. And if it all goes spectacularly wrong all I have lost is a few hours of modelling and a fiver.

8 hours ago, polybear said:

May Bear suggest a Plank Bender, if you don't already possess one?  Could make the task an awful lot easier - and with a much better end result.

Although I've never built a planked ship model, I've built a good few planked aircraft fuselages.

Don't go doing all the planking on one side first ......... unless you want a banana!

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

How long would it be?

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You’d need a BIG shed for that. My rough “back of the envelope” calculations puts it at 4.6m long! (332m/72)

Ah blast!   Bear & Alexa beat me to it!

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Spent today finishing off the task I began 5 years ago to update the Unimat SL's feeble original motor with an electric scooter motor. That along with a silicon drive belt in place of the rubber ones that would expand and slip, and a variable speed control has transformed it into a mighty beast that no longer slows to a halt when tasked with something that needs a bit of effort.

PXL_20220903_011749740.jpg.b1ca9d32b2227171ff4eb27bf5c86aa9.jpg

Nice mod!   

I've been meaning to upgrade my Unimat 3's  drive for 30 years.   Mind you, now there's a Myford lurking next to it the Unimat is no longer the automatic "Go To" machine but the work it's done in the past was amazing (if very slow).   Did I ever tell you about the time I converted the bed into an optical bench for some video camera experiments for my telecine machine?     They are just so versatile, it should be against the law not to have one🤣

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That aircraft carrier is as big as our kayak.

"Now, don't anybody move.   I've got an idea"     (with apologies to Michael Caine)

In Other News

Mr & Mrs Puppers have had a day of culture today.    We visited the Henry Moore Foundation over near Much Hadham and very good it was too.     Those giant sculptures are just so tactile!   

Funnily enough though, we were both extremely disappointed  with the display of his abstract prints / lithographs.    We were reminded, as we entered the gallery, that no photographs were permitted.    On leaving the gallery the thought "don't worry I wouldn't be wasting the film or the electrons" came into my mind.     The 2D images did absolutely nothing for either of us.

Anyway, as I say, on the whole it was a very interesting day.

Now to find out if, weather permitting, there's to be a bimble tomorrow morning.

TTFNQ

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I must admit I'd not looked at The White Rabbits Metcalf pages, mostly because I have a hatred of seeing the pale pink brick models on layout after layout, with little done to hide edges or make the models individual. His efforts are much better than I've seen elsewhere.

My own preference is for plastic card, which is a natural progression from airfix kits but I've still a long way to go till I can make something up to the standard I want.

I'm now off back to the workshop, anythings better than what on TV.

Our first exhibition layout (exhibition-goer operated shunting puzzle) , Avago,* was built around Metcalf kits. Firstly, they were partly low relief, the main set of buildings cut on the triangle to deceive the perspective eye, a bridge providing an archway to an inner space. The diagonal brewery building, now a museum, was holding a model railway exhibition with entrance from one of the two small station platforms built into it. The adjacent warehouse became a newly developed apartment building with an internal staircase up the centre and a large For Sale notice board on the front lawn. people inside looking around, and an estate agent at the door with a potential buyer. Corners of the buildings were made less obtrusive and downpipes etc were added (IIRC).

The scene backed a small heritage demonstration line with visitors to the MRE, demo and museum. An old brewery horse and cart was coming out of the museum, an ice-cream van stood outside the apartments, and a small gathering stood alongside the track. A young couple watched from above the tunnel to the old mainline. The railway was separated from the viewer by a fence along the track and a field (all of 11/2" deep)  in front, suitably equipped with horse in one field and sheep in the other. A gate stood in the middle. Dr Who (tenth doctor) could be seen doing his running thing along the public footpath - probably back to the safety of the Tardis!

Only using selected sections of two or three Metcalf kits, modifying and developing them, was very instructional and taught us quite a bit about designing and constructing something a little different, certainly how to fit in a lot of interest into such a small space without making it look overcrowded. We did have a small crowd along the fence watching the trains and a queue for ice-cream, after all.

* 4ft x 1ft. Sadly, the photos on its thread are still "missing."

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

43 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

Although I've never built a planked ship model, I've built a good few planked aircraft fuselages.

Don't go doing all the planking on one side first ......... unless you want a banana!

Nice mod!   

I've been meaning to upgrade my Unimat 3's  drive for 30 years.   Mind you, now there's a Myford lurking next to it the Unimat is no longer the automatic "Go To" machine but the work it's done in the past was amazing (if very slow).   Did I ever tell you about the time I converted the bed into an optical bench for some video camera experiments for my telecine machine?     They are just so versatile, it should be against the law not to have one🤣

"Now, don't anybody move.   I've got an idea"     (with apologies to Michael Caine)

In Other News

Mr & Mrs Puppers have had a day of culture today.    We visited the Henry Moore Foundation over near Much Hadham and very good it was too.     Those giant sculptures are just so tactile!   

Funnily enough though, we were both extremely disappointed  with the display of his abstract prints / lithographs.    We were reminded, as we entered the gallery, that no photographs were permitted.    On leaving the gallery the thought "don't worry I wouldn't be wasting the film or the electrons" came into my mind.     The 2D images did absolutely nothing for either of us.

Anyway, as I say, on the whole it was a very interesting day.

Now to find out if, weather permitting, there's to be a bimble tomorrow morning.

TTFNQ

Alan

Yes a lot of Henry Moore's 2D stuff is Carp. There is a lot of his work round here seeing as he was born in Castleford. The house is no more but there is a concrete structure commemorating it. It was a good dumping ground for flytipping.

Yorkshire sculpture park, The Hepworth gallery and the Henry Moore Institute in Leeds have other examples of his  work

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Yup... cold comfort but you are not the only one to have such issues. Same here. All I could do was to say that to the best of my knowledge and belief etc. etc. - BUT as I had not lived there myself I could not promise/give an undertaking that such was the case. Such questions are fairly standard and because no-one wants to stand out and make a fuss/declare in a loud, confident voice the emperor has no clothes/risk a claim for damages by an exploitative purchaser they still get asked. 

If the purchasers solicitors really get on your nerves, one thing which may improve their manners - though admittedly it is a high risk strategy - is to write to them saying X has already been provided (and in my case quoted in subsequent correspondence). If [you] insist on further copies then I will both refer the matter to the Law Society as a professional misconduct issue and withdraw from the proposed sale. In my case contracts had not been exchanged and the local house prices were rising, so I could have made an extra few thousand without any legal comebacks, though admittedly at the cost of some time, trouble and blood pressure. I emailed the purchasers solicitors (copying in mine, the estate agents and the personal email of the purchasers) saying unless they [pulled their finger out] and responded within 72 hours I would instruct the agents to remarket the house. Their attitude changed very quickly... 

Another angle might be along the lines of "I've already supplied all this to you etc., but if you'd like a copy then there is an admin charge of fifty quid.  Plus VAT...."

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have 1 length of Scotia to return to the big orange shed tomorrow. 

Bvgger - that's just reminded Bear that I have a length of moulding to return to the Orange Shed....and where did I buy the new door from?  Turdycurses

1 hour ago, trevora said:

Be carefull laminate needs to move / dry -damp etc

if you put bead on it where will it go

(up in the middle of the room)

IIRC the usual method is to glue the scotia/beading to the skirting, but not to the floor so the latter can move as required.  I cheated and laid the floor, then fitted skirting using screws and screw cups (so it's easily removed if you need to lift the laminate & floor - rumour has it that a certain Bear *may* have needed to do so when some numpty drilled thru' a wall cable during The Great Kitchen Refurb....)

50 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Snigger Snigger...looks like the cake's on Puppers....😄

Nice mod!   

I've been meaning to upgrade my Unimat 3's  drive for 30 years.   

Puppers may find this interesting - shame the piccies are lost.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93330-re-motoring-unimat-sl/

Now Puppers hasn't been indulging in, er, how shall Bear put this......"Selective Anatomical Fondling" again have you?  You do remember the Judge said it was your last chance, don't you? 

Bear here....

The TV Stand has now been assembled:

https://www.toolstation.com/titan-by-vivanco-tv-swivel-base-with-adjustable-height-angle/p39046

The base of this one is steel - the vast majority seem to be toughened glass; there is some (not many) mention in reviews of the glass base type that reports that the glass shattered without warning.....and their nice shiny telly had a T-I-M-B-E-R moment - which never ends well.  Not cheap, but it's obviously been designed and made by someone that knows their stuff - even the kit of parts were all individually packed and labelled so you didn't need to go measuring screw lengths, diameters etc. to find the right ones.  Big Tick.

I've also ordered another picture frame from the 'bay that'll match (right down to an identical size) the one I purchased to frame the Carl Fogarty signed print; this one is for an 18" x 12" photo that arrived today - the frame is coming with a suitable mount to make the piccy fit the frame.

And finally....

A certain Bear had cause to scream the words "For f.sake, Puppers - put that bluddy flame out before you blow us all to Kingdom Come......."  🤣

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Blue Moon was built with plywood planks upside down.

Two full length cockpit rails which extended under the foredeck were fixed to the trestles.

5 1/2 frames were plugged into that.

Then the hull was planked, first being the hog plank forming the bottom plank (1ft at widest) was fixed on top.

Then each side plank was fitted which was 9inches wide.

After that it was alternately planked, with planks which were 4inch wide before fitting, each having to be placed on Blue Moon scribed to fit the previous plank, cut, then fitted properly.

All planks were sewn on in place with a very strong woven string. Once assembled all joints were filleted inside and out with epoxy resin.

Sanding that lot smooth of course removed the string, a lot easier than trying to remove glued in copper wire which is the conventional method.

Some hours had been spent getting the cockpit rails exactly straight, then more hours checking the frames, then more hours checking after the first planks were fitted.

Blue Moon is not a Banana....

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

My goodness.  Was it really Thursday that I was last here?  And how many pages have been added in that time?  I have tried to scan-read everything but surely missed some points of importance.  

I hope Tony had a good birthday and offer my apologies for absence on the actual day.

Today has been a hive of activity around the Hill of Strawberries despite neither of us feeling on top form.  Dr. SWMBO has acquired a flu jab though I must wait a while longer because the over-65 version hasn't arrived yet; I don't know what the difference is unless it's somehow linked to my pension funds!  

We had a total of five appointments between 9 and 10.30 this morning, some in Richmond and others closer to home, all of which were achieved and we then returned home in time to clean the house and prepare lunch for our guests.  Roast chicken with salads and Turkish bread followed by the a boiled chocolate cake with chocolate frosting as guest's cake-of-choice.  For the first time we were allowed baby-hugs with their young one; we had met before but parents weren't comfortable at that time with actual contact. So aged 1 year and 2 months we finally got to squeeze their little boy.  And both of them.  It seems actual hugs are finally back on the agenda though we all took precautionary tests earlier in the day.  

During lunch, which was taken outside on the lawn in warm though threatening conditions, there was much coming and going on the driveway as one family moved out (our Turkish refugees have finally found themselves a flat big enough for their family; they were with us for over three years but had three lads sharing one bedroom which isn't ideal) and another moved in - to a different flat because they don't turn them around quite that fast!!!  As the only tenants honoured to know the gate code we (as in "I") were asked to unlock and re-lock the van gate several times.  It saves the landlord paying their person a day's wages for a few minutes' work and they are perfectly happy to have trusted tenants who can do a few bits for them.  

With my asthma playing up and Dr. SWMBO suffering quite severe knee pain we were glad of a rest once our guests had gone on their way.  We continued to rest pretty much until bedtime though managed to follow last night's viewing of "Rings of Power" episode 1 with episode 2 tonight.  

Four more days attending the House of Fun before our holidays.  The gentlemen (and ladies, and other designations of choice) of the various trade unions have graciously called their strikes on the days before and after those we are travelling; it may not be as smooth it should be but at least we shouldn't need Plan B which is to take the Little Red Driving Box on a 700-mile round trip through West Country holiday Friday traffic.  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, pH said:
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

I took the no.16 bus over to Canterbury  …

After a pre-colonoscopy dose of PEG, that was brave! 

A 16?  You're lucky you even found one!!! There are some pretty hefty and permanent cuts to buses in that part of the country - and others - caused by a combination of the severe driver shortage and the ongoing passenger shortage.  The rural bus in Kent is a threatened species.  Try finding any bus going anywhere to or from Sevenoaks other than between 9 and 3 on a weekday for example.  Dover and Canterbury are other places to see major reductions and some complete service withdrawals.  

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I now know why some guy/s on here don't like the idea of a colonoscopy, the preparation stuff you have to take before the proceedure is foul!!

Bear had the pleasure of "Moviprep" - but that had to be drunk at regular intervals throughout the day (and quite a lot each time, too).  Then they told me at the appointment that you could mix it with orange juice to make it taste nicer - gee, thanks for telling me when it's too late.....

Once I was in the Recovery Room they phoned my friend (all previously arranged) to ask him to come and collect me as they don't let any patients return home on the bus.

They were quite happy for a solo Bear to drive home alone.....

No freebie packet of sarnies, tea and bikkies though?

I found the anticipation (not) of the whole episode to be by far the worst bit - the actual procedure was fine (better than watching Eastenders, that's for sure), though the moviprep taste is enough to make a Bear barf.  Oh yes, and the fear of being halfway between Bear Towers and the Hospital and needing a dump**.......

(** A certain Bear had a bucket in the boot of the Bearmobile, just in case.....)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I thought the hay fever season was over but late this afternoon I had a sneezing fit and watering eyes. Fortunately it only lasted for less than an hour. I don't know if its a result of the long hot dry summer we've all endured or what. There still seems to be plenty of buses around here if not as many as there used to be. I spoke to my brother this evening, he's decided to stay put in Romford as he has to go to the local hospital for dialysis three times a week. Our local council has distributed food waste bins today, They are lockable but I wonder how long it will take for the foxes to find out how to open them.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I see the head of Avanti West coast has resigned due to timetable cuts.

There is a price cap here in West Yorkshire for Bus Travel at £2

Apparently around 90% of English operators have signed up to this deal.  It temporarily reduces the maximum fare from what ever it was to £2 adult.  In many cases that means the fare to the next stop will be cut to the maximum!  There are plenty of routes now where the fare to the next stage - and therefore the next stop whether that be the next stage or not - is well above £2.  

Cornwall already benefits from a government initiative which has cut the cost of many fares and notably has halved the cost of a day ticket to £5.  That's £5 for travel on any bus, any operator, anywhere in Cornwall (also to / from Plymouth when the journey starts or ends in Cornwall) for the day without time restrictions.  Reports are that ridership is up on the trunk routes though not noticeably on the infrequent rural routes often used only by those already in possession of a Freedom (free travel) Pass.  

This was the trial area and the initiative is to be extended albeit for a very short time in the hopes of kick-starting bus travel.  

Whilst I applaud the effort it may be a case of too little too late.  Far too many bus routes have been withdrawn never to return or severely cut back as a result of Covid-induced customer loss.  That and the severe driver shortage making it impossible to offer reliable timetables at the old headways.  

I have always advocated bus travel when it is a credible alternative to other choices.  The problem being that the bus needs to be relevant to the needs of the population.  When the first bus from A to B is at 9am and the last at 3pm no-one working 9-5 is able to use the service.  When the service does run from 7am until 7pm then some shift workers and many in education and "office hours" jobs might be able to use them.  

But away from the major towns links between one place and the next can be good or non-existent largely dependant on the local operator and local authority - the latter because they are usually the body responsible for "securing" socially-necessary services which cannot be operated commercially.  In reality some such as Hertfordshire are very supportive while others such as Somerset now pay nothing with the result that many smaller communities are devoid of public transport altogether.  

The bus as a link between towns, or as a means of travelling more than a couple of miles in a suburban environment, is becoming irrelevant.  Which it should not be.  It will take a lot more than a short-term cap on fares to avoid a wholesale collapse of the industry in my opinion.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Then they told me at the appointment that you could mix it with orange juice to make it taste nicer

It doesn’t, it is just orange coloured nasty instead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A 16?  You're lucky you even found one!!! There are some pretty hefty and permanent cuts to buses in that part of the country - and others - caused by a combination of the severe driver shortage and the ongoing passenger shortage.  The rural bus in Kent is a threatened species.  Try finding any bus going anywhere to or from Sevenoaks other than between 9 and 3 on a weekday for example.  Dover and Canterbury are other places to see major reductions and some complete service withdrawals.  

Yes, we are lucky on the 16 to Canterbury especially when we get 3 per hour although when they started the 16 Gold it was 4 per hour. It's very convenient getting to the Kent & Canterbury, seven minute walk to bus stop and ten minute walk at the other end to the hospital. Also have the option of the 17 going along what was Elham Valley Railway but think the service now is down to one every two hours.

It's not so easy now to get to the William Harvey Hospital at Ashford by bus. Used to be two buses per hour which took around an hour but couple of years or so ago everything changed. It's still the 10 but it's only one per hour and starts its journey as a local service around Folkestone then down to Hythe and then visiting most of the local villages between there and Ashford taking around 90 minutes to the hospital. Have not used it since it changed.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, polybear said:

No freebie packet of sarnies, tea and bikkies though?

I found the anticipation (not) of the whole episode to be by far the worst bit - the actual procedure was fine (better than watching Eastenders, that's for sure), though the moviprep taste is enough to make a Bear barf.  Oh yes, and the fear of being halfway between Bear Towers and the Hospital and needing a dump**.......

(** A certain Bear had a bucket in the boot of the Bearmobile, just in case.....)

There was only a choice of packet of bikkies and cup of tea or coffee.

Agree with you regarding the anticipation, you just don't know what the result will be. The prep that I had was PLENVU.

Precautions were taken regarding what could happen on the journey. Thinking of doing the same when I go to bed, just as I did last night and today.

What did surprise me was that after the procedure they talked through the results and gave me a copy of the letter that goes to the GP. That has never happened before

Keith

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Have not used it since it changed.

You and everyone else.  

How attractive is a bus service which takes 50% longer than it once did and runs half as often?   No wonder the buses are empty.  

A good friend uses The Loop (which used to be the 49 / 50 / 52 group) around Thanet to get to and from work at Westwood.  She works a shift pattern including weekends as rostered.  She cannot afford to drive on the minimum wage she receives though occasionally cycles several miles at all hours.  

Her bus service has been cut even though it remains quite frequent through the daytimes.  But in the early morning, late evening and on Sundays she relies on one bus turning up - which it doesn't always - and might have to arrive at work up to an hour early and wait up to an hour afterwards to get home.  

Hers will not be an isolated example.  

I wrote to a national magazine a while ago about the near-absence of service between two principal towns in West Sussex.  The bus runs twice a day on two days a week and is utterly useless to anyone.  I was one of just two passengers aboard.  The driver couldn't have cared less.  In stockinged feet (no shoes) he left late for no good reason, drove the whole way at above the speed limit, bounced of the kerb a few times, had one hand on the wheel and the other resting on the cash tray and kept one foot up on the dash!!!  Professional???  Not in my book.  

I paid £7 for the privilege of his driving skills across a 45-minute ride.  Within minutes I understood why the only other passenger aboard was his young female companion.  

Quite apart from the ridiculous timetable that is no way to win business and promote public transport.  I'm afraid his employer was advised of my experience which is not a move I undertook lightly knowing the potential consequences.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9