The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Whilst on the topic of model ships, does anyone remember the galleries full of beautifully crafted large scale ships covering everything from Roman Triremes to modern destroyers* that could be found at the Maritime Museum in Greenwich?

I say “could be found“ and asked if anyone remembers, because as of my last visit to the museum, nearly all the ship models had been removed and replaced by “relevant“ displays, interactive stations (most of which did not work) and CBeebies style presentation (“can you say destroyer? You can! Wow That’s a big word isn’t it“) and now all any lover of beautiful ship models can do is rely on is his or her memory.

* if I recall correctly, these beautiful models were made by engineering apprentices, sailors (both on board the ships or as prisoners of war) and by shipbuilding companies as examples of what the proposed ship would look like. I have no idea when things like scale brass cannon, capstans, stanchions, etc. became readily and easily available, but I suspect the vast majority of those beautiful models that were once in the Maritime Museum were all completely scratch built.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And whilst on the subject of CBeebies style presentation, why is it that a certain middle-class demographic, safely entrenched and embedded in certain areas of British cultural and political life, tend to infantilise everything for everyone else.

Could it be, he asks cynically, that if a large part of the population was encouraged to think for themselves and thus wean themselves off a toxic diet of soap operas and Sport, would these bastions of privilege for this certain middle-class demographic come under threat? That they might have to, metaphorically, “pull their socks up“?

It’s not much of an investment in your country* and society to dumb everything down, life is complicated; always has been, always will be. Kowtowing to the isms of the moment and obfuscating the complexity of life and existence, does no country any favours in the long term.

* sadly, this rant applies to quite a few countries in the western/industrialised world.

• Like 9
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I like dishwashing soap and a toothbrush if they are really grubby.

When our washing machine was being repaired late last year the technician was talking about the new machines. I said we had never had the soft toy programme installed on ours as wool wash seemed quite adequate. The new one has a Lego programme available for purchase. I assume it is for loose bricks rather than assembled models. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A few years ago I was in the tax office and an expat was complaining bitterly about the tax that they had imposed on her in ground pool. Apparently they had caught up with her when she came to sell the house. I kept quiet and tried not to smile too broadly. 

I wonder if she also got caught for unpaid back-tax - plus a fine for non payment?  Ouch.

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Whilst on the topic of model ships, does anyone remember the galleries full of beautifully crafted large scale ships covering everything from Roman Triremes to modern destroyers* that could be found at the Maritime Museum in Greenwich?

There was also a most excellent shop in Greenwich (next to Cutty Sark, or very close IIRC) called Maritime Models.  Now sadly long-gone.

Bear here.....

Stuff for the charity shop dropped off at the collection point - they were certainly doing a good trade and got 120 donations in the first hour, and the guy predicts 200 in the four hours that they'll be there.  Sadly they didn't want a very small side table that Bear had, so that's still in the boot of the Bearmobile.  Then it was the Post Office to return a couple of items to Amazon, followed by the library to have a squint at the Which? Magazine test info on Sound Bars and Air Fryers.  Whilst there I certainly did manage to get some very useful information (but not relating to SB's and AF's) that'll come in most useful.  Bear's sayin' no more....😉

Finally it was the Co-op for a minor shop; the result of the day (so far) was buying a bag of 5 freshly baked sossie rolls and discovering that there were six in the bag 😃.  Some win the Lottery, Bear wins an extra sossie roll....

I also phoned a couple of on-line carpet suppliers to check prices on carpet for the stairs; one is now trade only (though they were happy to sell direct when the lockdowns were on - b'sterds) and the other was a bit cheaper than Bear paid at the shop, but nothing stunning ☹️ - I'd only save around £26 or so after delivery.  Turdycurses.  

Though Bear just hates to say it, but Puppers was on the money when he suggested buying sooner rather than later - I spoke to the carpet manufacturer and, whilst saying the colour I chose is a new one so should be around for a while, it would be best to get some now rather than later in order to be sure of a colour match.  So I've just sent a text to a fitter I know (he did Bear's Conservatory some years back - that carpet went thru' buddy's house next door and over the back fence 🤣 ) and asked for a measure, supply and fit.  The only catch is there'll be "a few months" between "supply" and "fit" - but that shouldn't worry him too much cos' no doubt he makes a bit on the supply anyway (he can get it at trade).

Right, now to order a door for the cupboard under the stairs, then investigate why the home phone is crackly and noisy.

Bear gone.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear hadn't - though I'll have a scan to see what the options are.  I do want a compact "minimalist" (for a Bear, that is..

Just a thought. Have you considered waiting until you hear what the built in speakers sound like before parting with money for a soundbar? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday.  I decided that I would go out, not something I normally do on a bank holiday because I don't like crowds.  However I realised that the Tanfield Railway which is only just over half an hour's drive from home was running a two train service, so I decided to go as it is the first chance I've had for several years having been caring for Mum.

It was a good drive in both directions, I found that part of the A1 western by pass around Newcastle is being widened so there was a 50 limit on it, I'm glad I no longer use part of the road every day to go to work!

I arrived at the railway, parked easily and spent a pleasant few hours watching trains go by and looking round the sheds and sidings at Marley Hill, taking quite a lot of photos in the process (some will eventually appear in my photo thread).

I am always surprised how digital cameras can take good pictures in really poor light, it is a lot easier than in the days of film.

During the afternoon I came home, put the photos on my PC and photoshopped them, by then it was time for tea, followed by reading and TV.  It's good to see that both Only Connect and University Challenge have started a new season.  Sometimes I can answer a few of the questions.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

* if I recall correctly, these beautiful models were made by engineering apprentices, sailors (both on board the ships or as prisoners of war) and by shipbuilding companies as examples of what the proposed ship would look like. I have no idea when things like scale brass cannon, capstans, stanchions, etc. became readily and easily available, but I suspect the vast majority of those beautiful models that were once in the Maritime Museum were all completely scratch built.

There's  a great book called 'The Anatomy Of Nelson's Ships' by C Nepean Longridge where the author describes step by step  the construction of his model of HMS Victory which ended up in the Science Museum South Kensington.

Written in the 50s but describing the build that took him from the late 1930s through the 1940's it's fabulously very much of its time with comments about ensuring you have your best pot of animal hide glue bubbling away before commencing this or that, and that a particular small tool can be purchased from Messrs Wilcox and Jones  of Deptford or similar.

A fascinating backdrop to his model description is the looming war which being a doctor he spent at sea presumably as a naval surgeon and he describes his reduced toolkit he took with him and the fact that he spent that time   assembling  all the gun tackles while his half constructed model spent the war deep in some underground cellar and came out covered in mould that took weeks of careful cleaning to remove. Postwar shortages of timber for model building also play a big part in his description.

He's pretty much the John Ahern of scratch built model ships and that book is regarded by ship modellers in the same way that 'Miniature Building Construction' is regarded  by  railway model scratch builders and has remained in print since 1955, a testament to it's enduring importance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Nelsons-Ships-Nepean-Longridge/dp/1854861220

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I am always surprised how digital cameras can take good pictures in really poor light, it is a lot easier than in the days of film.

Yes and no in my humble opinion.  I am no photographer.  OK I have won a couple of competitions and have been published but I'm definitely not a professional.

I used film until it became nearly impossible to get it processed.  Agfa and latterly Kodachrome slides mostly.  I was quite handy at the night shot with tripod and either body release or a good guesstimate of shutter time and f-stop.  

I learned quickly that I could trust the digital cameras to do their job and they too have produced some stunning shots but there's something lacking about the "thrill of the chase" when it's all set to Automatic.  Camera shake will still produce a blurry image with even the best image stabiliser; light spots can wash out an otherwise perfect night shot; it isn't always possible to obtain the "starburst" effect - should you want that - without using a filter or specific lens.  

Most of my night shooting is done now on Aperture Priority mode.  This gives me the depth of field and the camera calculates the actual exposure time.  I normally use a tripod but have been known to brace against or rest the camera on a solid structure.  

One advantage of digital over film is that one can take multiple shots in quick succession of almost the same view at no additional cost.  When I abandoned film I was paying in the region of £3 a frame by the time I had added processing to the cost of the film.  You don't reel off ten shots at that price hoping to get the perfect one but the cost did drive the learning curve to achieving the desired results first time.  

Another is the ability to alter the captured image quite readily at home and now even "on the go" with a mobile phone.  I often expose for any light source to avoid wash-out and can bring up the darker areas with editing software.

Here's a few of the more recent digital night views.  The scanned slides are on an external drive which isn't to hand just now but I'll try to post a few later on.

1856707935_CRB4Ffm-321sizeoriginal.JPG.ad6fcc7b44c88dabc25b858cec3a46ea.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG.77cc6f162a0d4fd00a20a9ec2c77024f.JPG

1345209826_mrdwnpM-221sizeoriginal.jpg.01e08db3589d85405de9b89cb8d64c49.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

have asked her to ring me to explain - but guess what - she is in a meeting.

When she rings, ask her to identify herself securely by answering some questions. 

• Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Though Bear just hates to say it, but Puppers was on the money when he suggested buying sooner rather than later 

😀

Puppers may well frame that 🤣

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's  a great book called 'The Anatomy Of Nelson's Ships' by C Nepean Longridge where the author describes step by step  the construction of his model of HMS Victory which ended up in the Science Museum South Kensington.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Nelsons-Ships-Nepean-Longridge/dp/1854861220

I do wish you hadn’t posted that link ….. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I got to take the ute for a run.

..But only  to the garden centre to fill it up with cow crap

Why not just park it under a nearby cow?  

As I recall their hind-quarters are opened with some regularity and the results are usually voluminous. 

I speak from experience. One once chose to void solids over the fly-sheet of the tent in which I was sleeping!  

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this afternoon as I've been chatting to my sister. The usual family business sort of stuff, my brothers still waiting for probate though his wife died more than six months ago without leaving a will and only had a third share of the bungalow they lived in. Now to sort out dinner, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 16