The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

2 hours sleep woken by SWMBO blundering about, 4 hours sleep.

Have spent waking hours thinking of changes to unmentionable support system, it needs something that locks to the rest of the system. If it were just the corner unit that would not be a problem, but that supports part of the harbour unit, which is a lower board. So needs different supports...

Hmm... An idea has just arrived in brain.. some measuring will occur later.

Ben the I want out Collie, took me for patrol, but he took a toy, so wasn't interested in anything else but getting me to throw it.

Shortly it's time for an early breakfast,  it will be a reduced size full English, as we will probably get our traditional bacon butties before the doors open for the show....

Time to put the Kettle on..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny department 17.  Our Dutch friend didn'tvarrive yesterday but is comi g this morning. Thus we had a very lazy day yesterday waiting in for him.  I had to eat some fresh scones though. Life is hard.  In the evening we went to some other friends for drinks and a natter.  A good time was had.

Now breakfast is being eaten a d then it's a trip to the market.

Ttfn..

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, BSW01 said:

As threatened promised, here is a photo of the 2 sockets, which I’ve marked up, so I know which is which! You can also see one corner of the re-enforcing battens and the underside ‘edge’ of the turntable base. This edge will sit on fixed supports, set below the main baseboard, once this is built. Hopefully, the photo will make this much clearer than my explanation. 

293874DC-927B-4893-B639-FA6F49D40779.jpeg.a8d7f263a004d2da883a6af3bf0bf5f8.jpeg

Do you think you could post a piccy of the top please?  A certain Bear rather likes such things - I'd like a Metalsmith T/T kit but they have become unavailable (a change of business owner IIRC) and I'm hoping they appear again.  There appears to be very, very few such kits - LRM have some but not in the larger sizes.

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

...... it will be a reduced size full English,

Steady on now, let's not be too hasty....busy day n' all that....

Bear here.....

More MIUABGA day - sorting, planning, measuring for doors.  A nearby Hospice is visiting the Village on Tuesday to have a collection point for donations for sale in their shops or on the 'bay; I think it's the first time they've done it and it seems to be a rather good idea.  So I'll be having a scout round to see what can go - I have a few bits already.  I need to get more ruthless, but it ain't easy for this Bear....

In other news....

At last - an MP does something useful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-62701261

If only judges did the same though....😡

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/knife-criminals-spared-jail-despite-two-strikes-and-you-re-out-rule/ar-AA11aogl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b43c1f1dfdd4ce7cde4f06fa4b1d47e

"Research by The Telegraph has found dozens of cases where repeat offenders escaped jail, including a 31-year-old who stabbed a motorcyclist in the chest in a mistaken revenge attack. "

"Another - a 42-year-old who threatened to kill a shopkeeper with a large kitchen knife - was given six months by the judge to stay out of trouble and turn his life around. The court was told he had 50 previous convictions for 135 crimes including four “bladed weapon” offences. "

Bear rather likes this idea though:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/at-249-per-day-prison-stays-leave-ex-inmates-deep-in-debt/ar-AA11a83a?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b43c1f1dfdd4ce7cde4f06fa4b1d47e

“I'm about to be homeless,” said Beatty, 58, who in March became the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit challenging the state law that charges prisoners $249 a day for the cost of their incarceration. “I just don't think it's right, because I feel I already paid my debt to society. I just don't think it's fair for me to be paying twice.”

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear back (and just when you thought it was safe...)....

I've just used this link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-are-the-price-cap-unit-rates-/?bcode=73b72985-4aa8-4213-833d-c12037d516ba#tool&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=CEC_Subscribers&utm_campaign=PriceCapAug22&utm_content=account1

- to depress myself and see how much the gas and leccy are predicted to go up by (Martin Lewis seems to have his paw on the pulse regarding this).

Bear's current cost is £1120/year - it's going to be £1890/year.  That's a lot of extra cake gone.  Turdycurses.

(And I've based those figures on the first 51 days used after they installed a smart meter at Bear Towers - for which Bear STILL doesn't have an In-Home Display 🤬 - so increased usage due to Winter isn't factored in).

Incidentally, I got the bill for the recent boiler and gas fire service - £108, which I thought was pretty reasonable as the guy was here quite a while and did a very thorough job.  Buddy over the road uses the same company - and the same gasman - and has exactly the same boiler and fire as Bear.  He seems to think his bill was somewhat higher - we think the cost goes up during winter, so he's bringing his service forward as a result of Bear's bill.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

There is definitely something in what Herr Dokturi is saying about people being prepared to accept substandard food for high prices. Personally I think its done to them being 'programmed' to do it. Its almost like they don't want the hassle to push for a better standard.

I've noticed it with open spaces where the need to be more ecological is being used as an excuse to cut maintenance. A good example are shrub borders. These would be visited possibly twice a year- once to prune and then again to control the weeds. Well since using Weedkiller's is now 'verboten' the weeds are no longer being controlled. So the result is overgrown borders. When people do rarely  complain and ask where are the borders  they are told there's no funds for it to be done manually. Then the borders are removed and mowed out.

I do wonder just what is going to be left in my lifetime of the parks that I knew when I was young not much I fear.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, polybear said:
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The controller is a bit old so I might get a new one for it. 

Used Gaugemaster from the 'bay are a pretty safe bet

14 hours ago, Kelly said:

We got a cheapish one from Lidl last year and it has been great. Does really good roasties and jacket spuds

Surprising what a scan-read of this topic can produce!  

Quite unrelated matters yet somehow they could be linked …… 

Good morning all. Not so good actually due to sleep quality - lack of - and the generally bleurgh feeling so far. 

Things may improve. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems to be a pleasantly warm rather than hot today. No rain forecast.

I don’t know what we are doing today. Not a lot, I suspect. I will probably watch the motor race from Belgium this afternoon. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A lovely sunny day here in England's northwest corner. Today will mostly be a pottering about day. There's not a lot to do in the garden until some of the trees and shrubs can be moved, that won't happen until they go dormant in autumn, so it's mainly tidying up and dead heading etc. I might even get an hour or so in the workshop too. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Hmmmmm……

Taken Mil out for day. At Hampsons then off to Junction 32 outlet.

Such a welcoming sign. 
301EC2A2-401A-47FF-B1B4-7A889DF2141A.jpeg.b63c379e657e71481b978c23f09b75c8.jpeg

In Australia it is a standard condition of entry, usually advertised by a notice of some sort, that bags must be offered for inspection when leaving.  Many people will routinely show their opened bags to staff on their way out without being asked.  At those larger stores which employ security persons you may well find yourself stopped and asked to show your bags if you don't offer them.  

While this doesn't strictly apply to bags you have filled at the registers quite often we take more bags than are needed and in some cases what you want isn't available meaning you leave empty-bagged.  

Showing the bag is considered a courtesy and is an effective (but not foolproof) means to deter shoplifting.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

So what happened yesterday?  I woke far too early again, about 06.00 so made a mug of tea and read for a while.  Then after an early breakfast I went for my quick walk on the beach, just under 2 miles again.  I was back home at just after 9 and spent some of the morning sorting out the photos I took on Friday.  I always tidy them up in Photoshop, just to make sure the colours look "right" and to crop out anything I do not want at the edges.  Usually they need sharpening as well. 

Then I had coffee and looked at the new photos and some from 2015 on the TV in the living room.

Just before lunch a parcel came with a pair of new walking shoes and a pair of trainers to wear at the beach.  Both have Velcro fasteners, I no longer like doing up laces.

In the afternoon I staked some chrysanthemums, they are not as tall as usual because it has been so dry.  I think I will still have enough flowers.  I also did some general tidying and dead heading.  When I went inside and sat down I fell asleep for a while.

Later in the day I thought I'd try the sofa in a slightly different position.  It only took me ten minutes to realise it was not a good idea so it went back to the original place.  Why are they so heavy to move?

That's about it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear rather likes this idea though:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/at-249-per-day-prison-stays-leave-ex-inmates-deep-in-debt/ar-AA11a83a?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b43c1f1dfdd4ce7cde4f06fa4b1d47e

“I'm about to be homeless,” said Beatty, 58, who in March became the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit challenging the state law that charges prisoners $249 a day for the cost of their incarceration. “I just don't think it's right, because I feel I already paid my debt to society. I just don't think it's fair for me to be paying twice.”

Welcome to the hotel Pentonville.* A good idea, especially the spivs and barrow boys and other rip off merchants and tax dodgers/benefit cheats in particular. With the caveat that they can afford it so as not to become a burden on the taxpayer.

*I know Pentonville prison has gone but there's plenty more.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In Australia it is a standard condition of entry, usually advertised by a notice of some sort, that bags must be offered for inspection when leaving.  Many people will routinely show their opened bags to staff on their way out without being asked.  At those larger stores which employ security persons you may well find yourself stopped and asked to show your bags if you don't offer them.  

While this doesn't strictly apply to bags you have filled at the registers quite often we take more bags than are needed and in some cases what you want isn't available meaning you leave empty-bagged.  

Showing the bag is considered a courtesy and is an effective (but not foolproof) means to deter shoplifting.  

Its not the concept that grieves me, it the way the messages are delivered thats the issue. The are ad hock home made signs all over.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2022 at 06:08, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the topic of food and cooking, I noticed a number of enthusiastic proponents of the domestic air fryer on this thread. I’ve never warmed to the idea of an air fryer, simply because a lot of the dishes I use my fryer for just cannot be cooked in an air fryer. Furthermore, I haven’t noticed the use of air fryers in the professional kitchen (a quick check of Nisbets [professional kitchen supplies] only turned up one air fryer [out of 212 fryer models/types] and which is aimed at the domestic market, not the professional kitchen).

As I said I purchased mine about three years ago and the advances made since then are remarkable. They are not suitable for a professional kitchen I agree but for people like myself living alone they are a godsend. To be able to cook a simple meal in one appliance (without going for expensive ready meals) is great. They are better in many ways than a microwave and the latest ones can be had with two compartments that can be set at different times/temperatures and at the press of a button can be set for both compartments to finish at the same time. I think the name 'fryer' is a bit of a misnomer as frying food is not what they are good at. They are more of a mini fan oven and better used as such. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

JB Hi-Fi is the main place that comes to mind, they have bloody huge Pacific Islanders manning the exit.

You don't mess with the guys who ate Captain Cook!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7