The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The hay fever didn't last too long, a couple of sneezes and it was all over. I've spent the last few hours reading a crime novel, haven't finished it yet but it shouldn't take too long as I'm three quarters of the way through.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Was this not identified during a home inspection with the purchase of your home?

Essentially yes, but it works just fine and since our other house has one of equal if not older age, we're happen enough. We have all the appliances covered with a maintenance contract that suits us, especially since that contract includes a 70% replacement subsidy IF the item breaks and there are no longer parts to fix it.

A good bet for our purposes 😃

Both still works fine, not as efficient as new ones would be, but the main consideration is to replace it now before there ARE problems, and whilst I still work.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot happening here. I didn’t need to go to Braintree clutching a steam iron. I thought I would check everything again. Well on this occasion the lights on the control panel lit up and then a flame and smoke shot out of the cable. The fuse in the plug didn’t blow but the 30amp fuse in the fuse box did. I have shortened  the cable away from the damaged area. It all works perfectly. I think the cable storage when a UK plug is fitted probably strains the cable a bit. Anyway I have ordered a new appropriate cable and had a look at the cable connections. It doesn’t look to be a problem. The iron can be used with an extension lead until the longer cable arrives. The 30 amp cartridge fuses on the ring main haven’t ever needed to be replaced before. Fortunately I even knew where the spares were!
I am just sitting down after dinner (dal and rice with a couple of samosas) watching the Hundred format cricket on the television. Pom Bears v Hula Hoops tonight from Southampton. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

When I fitted the rails I meticulously measured up from the newly cast concrete garage floor.  I un-meticulously failed to note the floor had a dip in it

Nothing in home construction is ever completely square, level or true.

A few days ago we were talking about home improvement television shows. One of the things I find interesting is how they deal with non-square/true floors/walls/ceilings on This Old House. Even with projected laser levels, they use a lot of pencil scribed templates. The most recent show had an interesting segment on some mud room cabinet installation. The floor was not level and they had to account for a retrofitted interior landing that was not on the original plans, that the cabinet doors had to clear.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

've just found a company that colour matches aerosol spray paints to Crown colours - I want to spray the two shelf rails the same colour as the walls are painted so they blend in and are a lot less obtrusive; the only problem is the aerosol is fifteen quid (ouch....) plus another £8.34 on top for postage.  Most definitely a Turdycurses moment.  I've emailed Crown Paints to ask if the paint colour has a RAL or B.S. paint code so I can get some mixed at the local car place and so dodge the delivery cost.

Mate youve already got the paint? If so these are the UK equivalent of like 2 bucks.

image.png.0e18e482f6977282b0ee7b7d6321aec7.png

Fill with paint, spray thing,   job done. Turn on telly, tune to  Commonwealth Games , put your feet up and watch England coming second at everything*

Looks like theres an entry  called Crown paints on encycolorpedia - maybe your tone is there.

https://encycolorpedia.com/paints

* Had to get that in while the swimming is on where we dominate the medals. Everyone else catches us once track and field starts!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The additions on the back are a three socket extension (only one plug to remove if you want to move it) and a couple of cleats to hang the cables from, and some cable ties to keep things tidy. There was once a connection for the aerial but now I'm on cable the box works off the Wi-Fi.

Ahhhh, I remember the days when I just needed 3 sockets for my TV cabinet. Probably about 1994. I just counted out the number I'm currently using behind the TV - 13..

TV

AMP

Pre-AMP

SubWoofer

PS4

Blu-ray Player

CD Player

Google Home

Blutooth speaker for Google home 

TV antenna amp

"Ethernet over power' unit

2 x Fancy little lamp each side of the telly

Lucky this room has its own power circuit I guess.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

56 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mate youve already got the paint? If so these are the UK equivalent of like 2 bucks.

image.png.0e18e482f6977282b0ee7b7d6321aec7.png

Fill with paint, spray thing,   job done. Turn on telly, tune to  Commonwealth Games , put your feet up and watch England coming second at everything*

Looks like theres an entry  called Crown paints on encycolorpedia - maybe your tone is there.

https://encycolorpedia.com/paints

* Had to get that in while the swimming is on where we dominate the medals. Everyone else catches us once track and field starts!

Last I saw your lot weren't doing too well in the Gymnastics medals compared to our 18 

Your High bars competitor Tyson Bull lost out to a Cypriot although he did manage to actually hang on 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One of the things I find interesting is how they deal with non-square/true floors/walls/ceilings on This Old House. Even with projected laser levels, they use a lot of pencil scribed templates.

My brother and sister-in-law bought a 150 year old English farmhouse. They wanted to add a wing to make it into an ‘L’ shape. They insisted that the contractors could use only the plumbing and levelling tools that would have been in use when the house was built. Contractors were not too keen to begin with, but ended up happy with the result. The old and new parts of the extended house show the same kind of slight variations from true, if you know where to look. But, to quote the late, great Eric Morecambe “You can’t see the join.”

Edited by pH
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ahhhh, I remember the days when I just needed 3 sockets for my TV cabinet. Probably about 1994. I just counted out the number I'm currently using behind the TV - 13..

TV

AMP

Pre-AMP

SubWoofer

PS4

Blu-ray Player

CD Player

Google Home

Blutooth speaker for Google home 

TV antenna amp

"Ethernet over power' unit

2 x Fancy little lamp each side of the telly

Lucky this room has its own power circuit I guess.

😮  Bluddy Hell.  Chimpy's single-handedly responsible for Global Warming.  

In other news.....

I see the US Gov. has managed to p1ss off the Chinese big-time.  Well I never - shurly shome mishtayke.....

• Like 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A suburb of Vancouver sits on alluvial soil, and care has to be taken when building on it. One big house under construction was having problems, and a company that specializes in levelling up sinking buildings, reinforcing foundations etc. was called in by the owners-to-be. The contractor who was in charge of the remedial work told me that as the house was built up, each new surface had been levelled as appropriate at that time. With the foundations slowly sinking, that meant that no horizontal surface agreed with surfaces above or below it. They company refused to even try to do any work to correct the situation. Their advice was to stop the work, close the site down and sue everybody.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

😮  Bluddy Hell.  Chimpy's single-handedly responsible for Global Warming.  

In other news.....

I see the US Gov. has managed to p1ss off the Chinese big-time.  Well I never - shurly shome mishtayke.....

Me thinks the Chinese government protest too much 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Finished reading the novel, a crime story with a very strange ending. BIN day tomorrow so I will have to get the bags ready. I have an invitation to visit a garden layout tomorrow afternoon until dusk, looking forward to it.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, we never got any rain today and it remained sunny all day, although it was warm, thankfully it wasn’t as hot as it was a few weeks ago. However, as I predicted this morning, we did in deed come back with a car boot load of plants, although, not quite as many as last time we went! But we did enjoy the walk through the gardens, we also managed to do the woodland walk too, which was particularly nice, as it gave us some respite from the sunshine. After we’d done both walks, we stopped at the cafe for a drink before we went to the plant nursery. So once we’d paid for the plants we head d back home and had a late dinner. After which, we then went to Waitrose so some supplies, mainly things we can’t get locally. It was late when we headed back for home, which resulted in yet another late meal. I think after all that, I’m looking forward to spending a bit of time in the workshop tomorrow. 

• Like 17