The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Could barely move this morning due to Arthur Itis but once I did move he faded away and I haven't even had to resort to pain killers. Now a soak in the bath will help, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and beautiful sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. I would normally be doing the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix this morning, the council are cleaning the gutters along the road plus other maintenance work, so it will be either difficult to get the car off the drive, or back on, so it’s been deferred until this evening instead. So, I’m going to make the most of the sunshine and spend the day in the garden, I might even get an hour in the workshop this afternoon if I get the gardening finished. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

Ah the pictures of old red sandstone takes me back to A level Geology aeolian (wind blown) desert sand deposits. And a couple of train trips into the deep South West  (Camborne ) and a nice holiday in the Dawlish area plus trip to Pecorama.

We have a sunny start here today hopefully it will remain so that the long grass in the back garden Will dry out enough to cut otherwise Pebbles the dachshund is going to get lost in it.

Just sat waiting for pension provider to ring me back then it's following orders ftom the Boss as to where I am taking her shopping.

Happy Yorkshire Day By Gum

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ah the pictures of old red sandstone takes me back to A level Geology aeolian (wind blown) desert sand deposits.

You would love what was deposited on my car this weekend. The house windows are quite mucky too.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but cloudy and very warm.  Sunny spells and showers are promised.

I'm suffering from a serious case of "slow" this morning.  Slow to get up, shave,  shower...you get the picture.

A great time time was had at our BBQ yesterday and only three very light showers of rain.  Not much food left over but there's a couple of cold sausages for a lunchtime sandwich.

Just waiting for the dishwasher to finish so I can load up the BBQ grills and do an intensive wash on them and then clean the rest of the  BBQ and that will be my jobs for the day done.  Might watch some of the Commonwealth games later.  I did the lady kickballers a big favour and didn't watch the match because whenever I watch England play in a soccer final I seem to jinx it and they lose  (apart from '66) so I believe all England football fans now owe me a big vote of thanks and a pint!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Rick, was 'your' Michael the 'Bard' of Beer? I haven't heard of him this year yet but he was still around last year, he had had some health problems but seemed to be winning. 

The very same. He would be in his 90s now, 95 I think,  but I can’t find any record of him passing so maybe he’s still sipping soup in The Anchor at his own table. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

It used to be possible to walk along some of the shoreline,

I am one of only two people I know of to have walked from Branscombe Mouth benesth Beer Head into the village there at shoreline level.

It can only be done for about an hour as the lowest tides reach dead water and start to turn.  The shingle gives way to chalk boulders then large and seaweedy outcrops with water between; it is necessary to step carefully between these. Rounding Beer Head it becomes necessary to crawl through what is known as Beer Big Cave - a natural double-ended sea-cave normally filled with water. Shingle can bank up and close either or both ends in which case it would be necessary to wade through the sea. 

Emerging from the cave (occasional haunt of our Bard) onto Beer Ledge the beach is in sight but careful negotiation of slimy chalk is required to avoid a dunking. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I use the cliffs at Seaton for teaching about coastal erosion

There’s been plenty of that there. I saw the aftermath of the massive slip at Seaton Hole which covered the walkway, stairs and almost took out the café. Another took the Old Beer Road into the sea. 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There’s been plenty of that there. I saw the aftermath of the massive slip at Seaton Hole which covered the walkway, stairs and almost took out the café. Another took the 

Another took the ??? or has the naughty word censor struck again?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I am one of only two people I know of to have walked from Branscombe Mouth beneath Beer Head into the village there at shoreline level.

It can only be done for about an hour as the lowest tides reach dead water and start to turn.  The shingle gives way to chalk boulders then large and seaweedy outcrops with water between; it is necessary to step carefully between these. Rounding Beer Head it becomes necessary to crawl through what is known as Beer Big Cave - a natural double-ended sea-cave normally filled with water. Shingle can bank up and close either or both ends in which case it would be necessary to wade through the sea. 

Emerging from the cave (occasional haunt of our Bard) onto Beer Ledge the beach is in sight but careful negotiation of slimy chalk is required to avoid a dunking. 

I didn't think it was possible. Then I ran into my old A-Level politics teacher in Beer who had come round from Branscombe (where his parents lived) with a friend. He said you had to time it right (springs tides) and there was some scrambling and wading involved. I took a look from under Beer Head once - and chickened out. I got about 50 yards past the corner and then it started to look a tad tricky. Not knowing the tide times or having let anyone know where we were walking, I didn't think it wise to go further. 

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I use the cliffs at Seaton for teaching about coastal erosion

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

There’s been plenty of that there. I saw the aftermath of the massive slip at Seaton Hole which covered the walkway, stairs and almost took out the café. Another took the Old Beer Road into the sea. 

Thinking about the erosion there makes me feel old sometimes. Even before the last slip, I saw the cliff erode 50-100 yards in less than a generation. One day, I saw a small cliff fall near a couple sunbathing on the beach - thought it had hit them but to quote a certain secret agent, "Missed [them] by that much". Then the Old Beer Road went in a big collapse. The new route through the woods courtesy of the Clinton Estate is better than nothing but it's definitely a long way round if the tide's in. 

2108516897_SeatonHoleslip1-6-13A6448.JPG.6304ed70a9d00a365edaeebc34b896a3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I did the lady kickballers a big favour and didn't watch the match because whenever I watch England play in a soccer final I seem to jinx it and they lose  (apart from '66)

Bob.

Ditto and to be honest, in spite of the result and the overwhelming 'happiness' some of the antics went a bit far ... remember they are the 'trailblazers' for the up-and-coming (hopefully) many many more women association football players.  Yes, I came in after being informed that England had won.  I also have never seen a defeated team so 'down' as the German ladies were at the end ... just shows their extreme passion and disappointment for not winning the game.

A friend of mine went on a German website and found a report that suggestsed  'we was robbed again like 1966'. - no further comment necessary.  

As an aside I saw the 1966 final on a colour television and, like GDB above, also did not watch the 1988 Cup Final so as not to jinx Wimbledon ... it worked!

Edited by PeterBB
friend not fiend! correction
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well another day gone and nothing done. My 11am phone appointment didn't happen till nearly 1130 so it was gone 12 when we were finally able to go shopping. Her ladyship has managed to get a face to face Drs appointment they seem to think that a Vitamin B12 deficiency is partially to blame for some of her restlessness. So by the time shopping had been shopped and put away it wastime to go back to the Drs.

I had a chance to look in a charity shop and bought a couple of books (fiction). They did have a small filing cabinet for £10 but it was too deep compared to others I have seen besides which I couldn't pick it up so it would be a job for Kong aka Kieran my eldest who could carry it up stairs.

He carried 2 packs of laminate upstairs for me yesterday on his shoulder something I could do in the past but sadly no longer

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It can only be done for about an hour as the lowest tides reach dead water and start to turn.  

In Scotland they have provided very sophisticated and accurate measuring equipment to help you in these matters ...

1089598658_Dunuresign.jpg.882d6d3dbbf50adae0a3d3fa229ee469.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 11