The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

What flavour of Leyland paint was it?  Oil based/water based for woodwork/emulsion?

Bear has been using Crown Trade for the lounge - with their oil based satin for the woodwork - all seems to have worked very well.

Leyland Trade Fast drying water based satin brilliant white. It can be used externally too.

I had Crown Trade Satin  but it went funny in the heatwave and was like milk despite how ever many times it was stirred.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

39 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve just caught the end of the Women’s football and I was struck by a deep, philosophical question:

If male footballers have their WAGS, do female footballers have HABs?*

* Husbands And Boyfriends 

I did see it as PABs in the Daily Fail the other day 

Partners and Boyfriends 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I replaced all of our woodwork in the house with oak, polish it once a year, dust as required, will never have to paint the house again..................sorted, (emulsion on the walls where wall paper does not hang) upvc windows and soffits/facia, means only the guttering and down pipes to maintain about every 10 years with some Hammerite, I don't actually own a paint brush at the moment. Retirement..................................it's a doddle.

Similar here but the gutters and down pipes are brown plastic. The skirting boards, banisters and door frames are stained with Ronseal 30 minute wood stain/varnish. No wallpaper at all. 

Quite a few paintbrushes have been used for painting scenery on model railways. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

We only have one wall wallpapered in our house a feature wall in the living room it should have cost a fortune but i scored them from the clearance section.

Other walls are just painted plaster the bathroom will be fully tiled when the new suite goes in Mid September. 

After that the stairs and landings will need doing and there are 2 sets 

The list goes on ...

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

BBQ went well.. some food left over..how?

No Bears or Hippo's invited....

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Leyland Trade Fast drying water based satin brilliant white. It can be used externally too.

Bears + "Fast Drying" = mucho foul language - so water based for woodwork is a Big No No

So it's oil based paint + owatrol paint conditioner (there is a similar conditioner for water-based paints called Floetrol - I'd like to experiment with that to see what it's like but as it's b. expensive (as is the paint) I'll stick with oil-based, thanks very much.

In other news....

Was it Bear's imagination, or did the German Team look p1ssed off? 🤣  

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just finished watching Murder in Provence. Still got a long way to go to catch up with the Midsomer Murders re. body count though. It feels cooler and less muggy than last night not that I have that much trouble falling asleep. Now to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 45156 said:

First class paint, Simon - much better than d*lux, or valsp*r - and Johnstone's is even better - I use both all the time, and their centres can match any other maker's colours - we've had loads of Farrow and Ball colours mixed and you're looking at about 40 quid for 5 litres if Johnstones or 35 for Leyland as against £85 for F&B.  Now owned by PPG architectural coatings, but still both made in Yorkshire.

Ley,and and Johnstone pai ts are all made in the same factory at Birstall which used to be the Silver Paint and Lacquer company. Now owned by an American conglomerate. However they are excellent paints.all our painting is dine with their stuff. Oil based undercoat and gloss for the shutters etc.  Onevof Neth's friends wirks there and gets us staff dicount.  They mixed some Midland Cri son Lake for me to do the pelet and fascia on my layout. Very helpful staff in the factory shop.  They mayched the colour for the shutters from the screen on my camera after I took a photo of some shutters that Beth liked the colour of.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Round of applause 3

15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just finished watching Murder in Provence. Still got a long way to go to catch up with the Midsomer Murders re. body count though. It feels cooler and less muggy than last night not that I have that much trouble falling asleep. Now to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

I must get round to watching Murder in Provence.

Midsomer murders has a high bodycount to beat and some bizarre methods of murder. So far the only thing has come close is Brokenwood Mysteries 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2022 at 12:26, PupCam said:

Why the blazes hospitals don't rely on Emails for such communications rather than bits of recycled paper in this day and age heaven only knows!  

( ....... that might have the makings of a rant)

IF you live where I have been for a while  it is a dead area forreeption viz mo mobile nor internet connection ... and much delay was caused by non receipt ofemails in spite of informing them that a land line call was the only contact.

I am one of those who hates everything being 'digital'  - especially on mobile telphones where trying to read a documnet an d then need a page a few back is so much worse than the printed article.  - Sounds like a rant.

PS hence why infrequent access to ERs etc.

I too find it best to set the days tablets in a container as it makes sure that they are not forgotten and of curse gives a breathing space for collecting repeats.

Apologies for having to skip so many pages but hopefully nothing too serious has happened ,, fires and Lionesses apart.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mmm Crimson Lake now that gives me an idea.

I could paint the stairs in Crimson Lake and put gold stripes down it like Duchess of Hamilton 

With the full permission of the household authorities I presume.😇

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I didn’t spend much time in the workshop as I’d thought I would. However, during my session this morning I managed to build and test 3 more delay circuit boards. By the time we’d eaten dinner, the sun had come out, so I decided to spend the afternoon in the garden, doing a bit of weeding dead heading and watering the potted plants. 

This evening my brother in Canada phoned for our 4 weekly chat. As usual, we talked about the usual stuff, politics, the price of fuel, family, the weather, but we definitely didn’t change the world. 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve just caught the end of the Women’s football and I was struck by a deep, philosophical question:

If male footballers have their WAGS, do female footballers have HABs?*

* Husbands And Boyfriends 

If the athletes on the English squad are anything like the athletes in the US national team or the NWSL at large, some of them will have wives or girlfriends, which I find entirely unremarkable with no need for an acronym or epithet.

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I did see it as PABs in the Daily Fail the other day 

Partners and Boyfriends 

Better, but really why is this even a thing?

It seems to me to be the stuff of English tabloids. In the US, there is very little attention given to the partners of NFL players or other athletes (unless they are 'celebrities' in their own right, or more sadly, the victim of domestic abuse).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 9

I'm hoping tomorrow brings HVAC repair people.

Even though it didn't seem like I was making much headway with the fans last night (I did drop the inside temperature by about 2°C before retiring) today seems more tolerable indoors. It's still hot outside - 37°C is forecast.

Meanwhile the water bill arrived yesterday. Consumption has skyrocketed. I believe that I unintentionally programmed the irrigation system for multiple overnight watering events instead of just one - confusing the separate zones/stations with watering events. The control panel is very non-intuitive. The instructions are *somewhere* and while there is a 'cheat sheet' on the inside cover, that is worthless.

I reprogrammed it but am wondering whether there is a way of knowing this has solved the problem or whether there is a leak in the drip feeder somewhere in the jungle before next month's water bill arrives. It is tricky to diagnose the drip feeder. Most of the lines have bedded themselves into the ground and since I didn't install them I never knew exactly where they were in the first place. When 'on' not a lot of water is obvious.

I do know that the water meter is not spinning unless the irrigation system is 'on'. Thinking aloud I could check to see if it spins faster sequencing through each zone in test mode.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It seems to me to be the stuff of English tabloids. In the US, there is very little attention given to the partners of NFL players or other athletes (unless they are 'celebrities' in their own right, or more sadly, the victim of domestic abuse).

Here too, except on the medal award nights when they get to frock up for the media.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sadly, it’s not just the tabloids - even the broadsheets devote column inches to the topic. Why the British (or a good portion of them) seem to obsess over “sportsmen” and “celebrities” is beyond me.

It’s almost as if - for some people - their lives are so barren and devoid of meaning that they have to live vicariously through the lives of others.

and if this is the case (and it probably is) the rise of the “YouTube influencer“ would be the natural culmination of this phenomenon.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  32 has been promised for today.   Kickball was watched and enjoyed yesterday.  A friend commented when the goal scorer took her shirt off " I hope that her bra is by the same manufacturer or the shirt sponsor is going to want some money back."    Among other things he commissions major sponsorship deals for his employer.

This morning it was only 17 hen I went out so a bike ride was had, just over 5 miles but a bit faster, average of 14. Only 5 cars seen on the roads.   Positively rush hour traffic.   The highlight was going down a part where the trees almost form a tunnel, a buzzard set off in front of me, about 20 feet away.  I followed it for about 50 yards till it turned off through a gap in the trees.  A magnificent sight.  I slowed down to about 18 to just keep behind it.

No doubt various tasks will get completed this morning but this afternoon may involve inspecting the interior of the pool.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mmm Crimson Lake now that gives me an idea.

I could paint the stairs in Crimson Lake and put gold stripes down it like Duchess of Hamilton 

How about Pullman?

image.png.a01c94dbd6e5e1d6fc3caf52de03edfd.png

Bear here.....

Shelves to sort, involving a call and visit to the timber yard.

Ear-lowering to arrange - I'd quite like a session today but fear that might not fit the Barber's workload; he has an on-line booking system and that shows no vacancies until later in the week.  I'll give him a call to see if any walk-ins are possible.

I also need to add a timber shim below one area of lounge skirting - the gap is pretty large in one area (wonky floor...) and some of it may show once the carpet is fitted if not filled.  So it looks like a visit to Wickes is called for - I'll be able to get some ally angle at the same time for use as alcove shelf brackets.

Oh yes, and still that cupboard skirting to sand.....

Bear gone.

• Like 16