The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO has a weekly pill box with 4 compartments per day that she fills up once a week for her 11 pills daily though only 10 in each day, the other is by her bed, a take two hours before anything else pill. So she has that with her morning cupOtea that I bring up to her .

Evening Awl,

MRC Attended, another obvious step forward. As I managed to plant grass that wasn't burnt and brown.

Huge amounts of traffic on the way there and almost as much on the way back.. all obviously trying to avoid tomorrows Amber warning..

Me I only take 5 pills a day, 2 morning Metformin, 2 evening Metformin and a statin. The evening is accompanied by either a general vitamin pill or a vitamin B12 pill. As Metformin is known to cause a lack  B12 in the body.

Time to sleep., Zzzzzzzzzz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Er, who is she??

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Looks like Pauline Hansen (Senator for Queensland and founder and leader of the "One Nation" party). 

Heres a quick catchup . Highlight is around 1.48 where she is talking her normal sh!te at some awesome indigenous girls.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Running a bit late as I got stuck into some magazines I bought at the Middy last Sunday. They were copies of the GER Journal with some interesting pieces on the ships operated by the GER including one of the strangest vessels ever to go to sea. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Model_of_train_ferry_'Leonard',_Williamson_Art_Gallery.jpg

The illustration is a half model with the bows to the right. The train deck moved up and down so that it could load at any state of the tide without need for a link span. The movable train deck was lowered for the sea passage. It was built for the Canadian National Railway just before WW1 but was commandeered in 1917 for use from Richborough to the French ports. It was renamed Train Ferry No. 4. It was obtained by the GER in 1922 together with the more conventional Train Ferry No's 1-3 and was put into service but its shortcomings were such that it was sold very quickly and was converted to an oil tanker.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

one of the strangest vessels ever to go to sea. 

That went to sea! With all that top hamper! It looks like it would roll over in the merest suggestion of a breeze.

Apparently (according to a contemporary photograph here) the rail car deck was a lift and could be lowered. It operated across the St. Lawrence in Quebec.

It did cross the Atlantic (sans railway vehicles) after being built by Cammell Laird & Co. in Birkenhead.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That went to sea! With all that top hamper! It looks like it would roll over in the merest suggestion of a breeze.

Apparently (according to a contemporary photograph here) the rail car deck was on a lift and could be lowered. It operated across the St. Lawrence in Quebec.

Thanks, I posted the item  before I'd finished all of it. What amazes me that such a vessel made it across the Atlantic and back again being designed to operate a short journey in a sheltered seaway. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’d not been back home from the Trafford Centre long when the weather changed and we had some rain. It started before dinner and lasted for almost like 5 minutes. So I had to water the garden this evening, but I only watered the plants in pots. 

As I mentioned earlier, this afternoon was spent making some rhubarb and strawberry jam. We’d only been given a small amount of rhubarb, but I just about had enough to make 2 jars. These are now in storage in the cellar for use later in the year. It’s partially good on pancakes!

Once I’d finished making the jam, I spent a little time in the office and made a start on the article for MERG. There’s still a lot to do and I need to take some photos of my work too!

This evening, as there wasn’t much on TV, we watched a film we recorded last weekend, which was ‘The Mule’ starring Clint Eastwood, it was very good and we both enjoyed it. 

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I was rather the opposite.  Never a Neighbours fan and neither was I a Home & Away one but there was a brief flicker of interest in the latter during the early 90s when Rebekah Elmaloglou  appeared as Sophie in that show.  She returned to it again some years later and then went on to a role in Neighbours but it was the young character "Sophie" (her own middle name) which was brought to my attention ..... 

You must have been perving   following the progress of a talented young actress at the same time as me Rick! I lost interest after she ceased to play a major role!

I can proudly boast that I have never seen a single episode of Neighbours in my life. This caused much consternation on my first return visit to the UK in 1988 when relatives were all seeking the latest goss on the show! Similarly, nasturtiums have been cast on my masculinity whenever I declare, in perfect truth, that I find nothing about Kylie M. attractive or sexy!

Her one redeeming feature is that thanks to her success in popular music, she afforded a certain Mr. P Waterman enough funds to enable the restoration of 'Super D'  49395, which I saw on it's first return in 2005. Now that was worth watching!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2022 at 04:08, zarniwhoop said:

I should perhaps mention that I've a soft-spot for alternative views of history (e.g. when did the South Saxons first arrive ? - I've read some very interesting web pages about that (e.g. early settlements around the Ouse valley, from one view of the place names) and about where their eventual capital was (Shoreham rather than Chichester). It's easy to get sucked in!

I'd intended to follow up by posting a link to the PDF I created (as part of getting to know the TeX typesetting system), but then I realised my own website lacks https, and for people on winblows using e.g. Adobe a PDF could represent a threat. But a couple of hours ago I had reason to run my latex testsuite (really, just basic tests to see if things work when built from source, often intended to be humorous) after I suspected a change someone had made was incomplete. I've now uploaded the results, together with the source I used, to https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/tex-testfiles/latex-examples/ and the links I found are at the end of bibtexidx.pdf which also contains some more conventional references that throw a different light on things.

Most people won't be interested, which is fair enough, but since information ought to be available I've uploaded the details. More details about the set of tests in the README.txt file and ABOUT.pdf if anyone cares.

Meanwhile, back to fixing that duff change.

ĸen

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

We are promised an end to our heat wave, but not yet. This is from today (Friday):

image.png.19da24620f09839648fea9f33589036a.png

A close examination from Tuesday will show that the hot weather is extended from earlier forecasts:

image.png.25405efcbb3b83968f51048b22d73d39.png

This weekend is now supposed to be hotter than earlier predictions and it will be Tuesday before high temperatures fall below 30°C, which is normal for this time of year.

The worst of it is that despite my best efforts, the temperature in the house (while mostly stable thanks to the insulation), continues to gradually rise day by day. This evening it is 30°C indoors. It is starting to get to the point that I am worried about how well the refrigerator will cope.  I am hopeful that around bedtime application of fans in open windows will reduce that before I retire.

Even though it was substantially hotter outside, it was more pleasant to eat dinner this evening in the open air rather than the stifling and stagnant air inside (and I had used the outdoor grill, so it was more convenient anyway).

I watered the back garden after sunset, giving the ground under the trees a soak. A small bird sitting on a branch a couple of feet above the ground ignored the whole proceeding. He got a bit of a small splash and just shrugged it off. The resident juncos usually perch themselves out of the way and chirp (more of click really).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good morning all,

I, for one, I’m pleased that Saturday is finally here. The last two days have been rather fraught and not a little stressful. My main business laptop failed and I took it in for repair (it was still under warranty, thank goodness) Since the  installation of a new motherboard I have been digging out old files, charging around various software manufacturer’s websites trying to find things like bit locker keys, serial numbers of installed software, having to change practically every password going. Most tedious, most time consuming and with more than a few moments of “oh carp, if this doesn’t work then I’m going to have to fork out another £500“ (some of the business software I have is not inexpensive). Now that I have the laptop up and running again, I have duplicated everything on it to an encrypted external hard disk and written an  “emergency recovery document“ containing absolutely everything I need to resurrect the laptop if it all goes pear-shaped again. This document, of course, is encrypted and stored on an encrypted USB stick..

One of the slightly scary things I found when going through this process, is how with modern Microsoft installations, if you engage their encryption system (bit locker – which is apparently very good), you absolutely, positively, must have the bit locker key to hand if you do any sort of hardware repair to the device. This is because the software treats any change in hardware as an attempt to hack the hard disk contents and thus it shuts up like a clam - and without the bit locker key, you will be totally unable to ever access your data ever again.

On a more amusing note, we found out – yesterday – that  our dogs have learnt that when I take them to the vet “sh1t really happens“, but when Mrs ID takes them to the vet – it’s just another excursion with added treats. When I visited to the vet on Thursday (to pick up some deworming tablets and some flea and tick collars) I forgot to get a refill of Lucy‘s pancreatic enzymes (which have been keeping her free of those gastrointestinal problems I was so concerned about last year). So Mrs iD made a detour yesterday afternoon to the vets to pick up the enzymes and took the doggies with her – who were totally relaxed about the whole visit. So they have clearly learnt that when I take them to the vet, they always get prodded, injected, manipulated, examined and handled in numerous (for them) unpleasant ways, whereas with Mrs iD they don’t.

On the subject of medication: like most of the other antiquated fossils on ER, I too must take daily medication and I have now started to put my daily medication in a little container that has compartments for each day of the week. Not, I hasten to add, because I suffer from those so-called “senior moments“, but because I am usually doing too many things at once when I get up in the morning and I sometimes failed to pay attention to what I am doing - leading me to ask myself “did I do that or not“. So by putting the medication into daily compartments I don’t have to think about it at all.

A pleasant day awaits: we are off to “Cuckoo Clock Land“ – which is actually the Black Forest region of Germany and not Switzerland! (a common misapprehension is that Switzerland is home of the cuckoo clock, it is not). A generous slice of Schwarzwalder torte may well be on the cards this afternoon.

Enjoy the weekend!

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Actually Pennsylvania.

Night Owl from the Piedmont.

Hmm, I see main Street is blocked..

Duke, our first Border Collie used to growl when ever he passed the vets, but was a good boy and go in if requested.

Mooring Awl 

6 hours sleep with a couple of wake ups and turnovers.

Ben the I want out Collie took me for a short stroll, he didn't find any trails to follow.

Dewy, dull, 75% cloud cover, no wind.

All bags packed except the anything else bag, book, drawing materials, spare batteries for book reading light, tide timetable, and when I've finished this gadget and charger.

I've noticed over time the two new ish news channels for some reason have a lot of Welsh area adverts, quite why in East Anglia we'd get adverts for a garage in South Wales advertising vehicles for the disabled, and other adverts purely for Welsh area customers I don't know..

Time to eat my lava.. or now it's cooled porridge..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

One thing that people may not appreciate about small campervans, and tents for that matter, is that the walls are thin, so despite having visual privacy …

... don’t know what they were discussing but she was agreeing with him, saying ‘Yes! Yes! Yes!’ excitedly and repeatedly. This lasted about ten minutes.

Then it went quiet.

Then they went for round two. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/07/29/postcards-from-the-periphery-2022-09/

Or as proclaimed on a poster outside a nearby establishment of worship … 

“Spending Sunday morning on your back screaming “Oh God” is not the same as coming to church”. 

Campervans schmampervans. Try a tent on almost any crowded site. Including at festivals.  

We used to say that you went as a group and took three tents between you; one for sleeping in and the other for eating in 🙈🙉🙊🤣

Or just the two of you plonking a tent randomly miles from anywhere. Someone will always hear you. You might even get a round of applause. Ask me how I know ….. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Mizzling here.. pah!

Seaweed twirlers have their do das iin a knot.. it may rain today.. it may rain tomorrow on the other hand it may not rainat all... pah!

Beer has arrived (Saltaire blond and Saltaire Titus). Delivery 2as free and a £3 discount was received.. result.

Loads of minitrix track logged yesterday..  a bit more still to do.. then loads of other bits to log. Should make the club some dosh so I don't mind doing it.

Today I am off toGuiseley..again.. at least I know the teas are good! I may stay after the game ends as its where the "senior" umpires go to stick pins in plasticine models of other umpires not in their click. Pah!

Have as good a day (or evening or night depending upon your location) as you can!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

We have some sunshine and blue sky. Really Bob?  Quelle surprise!  Sunny spells, cloudy spells, sunny spells, and very warm all seem to be on the agenda.

TV news last night showed a localish park 2 miles away in Morden where a disposable BBQ had caused a fire at the weekend and also a young lad who had trod on the hot sand on a beach somewhere where one had been and needed skin grafts to his feet.  I've always thought that the bloody things were too dangerous and should be banned.  It seems that some of the major supermarkets now agree and are no longer going to sell them.

There was also a fire yesterday evening not far away in a row of terraced houses on the boundaries of Sutton and Morden and at least 3 were ablaze.  We could hear all the sirens and see the plume of smoke from the back garden.  About 10 appliances and 70 firefighters attended.  We're having a BBQ tomorrow.  "Let's  be careful out there" will be the order of the day.*

More domestic stuff today as there is still "lots to be done."  ( I doubt that but who am I to disagree?) ) We have friends coming to dinner tonight, first time for a long time,  so The Boss has decreed all must be perfect.  It always is anyway but I'll have to humour her.  I'll assist with the cooking later by not getting in her way in the kitchen until I'm requested to lift something heavy from the oven.

Ah, she has appeared and I believe she is searching for a whip to crack.

Have a good one,

Bob.

* Oh good, just seen tomorrow's forecast.  Outbreaks of rain, sometimes heavy.  Great.  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45568 said:

Her one redeeming feature is that thanks to her success in popular music, she afforded a certain Mr. P Waterman enough funds to enable the restoration of 'Super D'  49395, which I saw on it's first return in 2005.

He also purchased a set of gold Bath Taps....for something like £80K IIRC 🤣

Bear here.....

Today?  Well I need to go and order a carpet - that'll be a definite "ouch" moment.  I'd also like to get the cupboard under the stairs papered - I've a feeling that some new words will be learnt in the process.

In other news.....

I've finally decided that it's time Bear started slowly transferring from an email address tied to my Internet Provider to a web-based account.  It'll make life a lot simpler if and when I want to change Provider in the interests of saving money.

And finally.....

Bluddy disgraceful - I do hope they have a re-think:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/olympics/sophie-unwin-left-in-tears-after-not-getting-a-bronze-medal-for-finishing-third/ar-AA106H4b?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8aca1d6b66fa41aaa7255a8e44d3f818

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

We have some sunshine and blue sky. Really Bob?  Quelle surprise!  Sunny spells, cloudy spells, sunny spells, and very warm all seem to be on the agenda.

TV news last night showed a localish park 2 miles away in Morden where a disposable BBQ had caused a fire at the weekend and also a young lad who had trod on the hot sand on a beach somewhere where one had been and needed skin grafts to his feet.  I've always thought that the bloody things were too dangerous and should be banned.  It seems that some of the major supermarkets now agree and are no longer going to sell them.

There was also a fire yesterday evening not far away in a row of terraced houses on the boundaries of Sutton and Morden and at least 3 were ablaze.  We could hear all the sirens and see the plume of smoke from the back garden.  About 10 appliances and 70 firefighters attended.  We're having a BBQ tomorrow.  "Let's  be careful out there" will be the order of the day,

More domestic stuff today as there is still "lots to be done."  ( I doubt that but who am I to disagree?) ) We have friends coming to dinner tonight, first time for a long time,  so The Boss has decreed all must be perfect.  It always is anyway but I'll have to humour her.  I'll assist with the cooking later by not getting in her way in the kitchen until I'm requested to lift something heavy from the oven.

Ah, she has appeared and I believe she is searching for a whip to crack.

Have a good one,

Bob.

It is unbelievable what some people seem to think they can get away with. Several males, it usually is decided that they would have a barbeque as it was a nice evening. So where did they chose? Dovedale reservoir e. All very nice and everything and I'm sure they meant no harm. Just a few lads having a laugh and chilling.

The only problem was there barbeque was the large barrel type- not an el- tesco el cheapo version and perhaps more importantly there was community dispersal order banning barbeques as several weeks before a couple of scotes thought it would great fun to set fire to the moorland up there. So que the emergency services attending on mass who explained the situation, took there details and are considering whether to prosecute them. What do you want to u bet the CPS will decide its not worth there while. Me I say OK no prosecution but here's the bill for the police and fire brigade attending your stupid stunt , pay up or we prosecute.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The weather forecast is a bit vague as to whether we will have rain or not. I'm going to an indoor event tomorrow so that will not be affected if it rains. The garden is looking a bit parched and could certainly do with some rain. Now off to have a bath, be back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

For people with many different tablets to take, especially at different times of the day, some medical folk provide a 'dosset box', with dates and times printed on it and the tablets dispensed into the tabs by the pharmacy. My mother had one in the closing months of her life. It was useful as she was on a lot of medication, literally c15-20 tablets a day/24 hours. 

My better half makes up her own dosset boxes. Usually about 3 weeks worth at a time.  The activity os way way way above my salary grade.

13 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

One thing that people may not appreciate about small campervans, and tents for that matter, is that the walls are thin, so despite having visual privacy …

... don’t know what they were discussing but she was agreeing with him, saying ‘Yes! Yes! Yes!’ excitedly and repeatedly. This lasted about ten minutes.

Then it went quiet.

Then they went for round two. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/07/29/postcards-from-the-periphery-2022-09/

I was goi g to ask if the suspension got tested.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morni g, just from what is becoming a rather warm piece of the Charente. I earned some shortblived brownievpoints ladt night by mendi g avpairvof glasses with a 12 BA nut and bolt.  It's a good thing that a certain hobby requires a stock of such things.

This morning we had ourvusual chat with Emily and her mums.  The young lady was on top form.  Then some friends called rou d and more coffee was had along with sone chocolate brownies made with sweet potato. Wherechad those been hidden.

Some more friends are coming round for a BBQ this afternoon so tables, chairs etc have been rounded up, cleaned and put out.

Ttfn..

Jamie

• Like 19