The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Things must be getting bad McDonald's are increasing the price of cheeseburger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62317453

We knew things were bad when the price of our local red wine wentbover €2 per litre.  The world's going to hell in a hand cart.

Jamie

• Agree 6
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben the Changeable Collie decided to have an extended Snuffle, he went off into parts of the garden he doesn't normally venture. He made a deposit... At the entrance to a rabbit hole.. 

I guess Ben is a Disciple of the "Never sh1t on your own doorstep fellowship".  So do it on someone else's instead.  Bear predicts a very p1ssed off Bunny shortly.

5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Tv programmes 

A while since there were a load of DIY programmes on the networks decided there were too many.  

If only we could have some PROPER and IN-DEPTH DIY programmes instead of the usual cr@p that's dished out.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The young man came round and gave the lawn a shave at lunchtime but first I had to cut back the council shrubbery over the path leading to the back gate, otherwise he couldn't get his mower in. Had a late lunch but I wasn't feeling hungry so I might be having a late dinner.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Surprised to see that 8 million Covid case is more than London and Glasgow populations put together but you are the 'stats man'.  

London alone is home to 9,541,000 souls according to various sources although it depends upon how “London” is defined. This figure is for all the London Boroughs plus the City, in other words Greater London. You would get a significantly smaller number if you included only “London geographical postcodes” i.e. E, EC, SE, SW, N, NW, W and WC. Greater London includes many others and parts, but not all of, the TW postcode out this way for example. 

Edited by Gwiwer
Auto-corrupt at work
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I decided to have a day out so having packed things for a morning snack and lunch in the picnic bag I got in the car, along with the camera and headed north. 

The Northumberland coast is a truly wonderful place.  History, nature, unspoilt beaches, those huge skies… but I guess I don’t need to tell you that.  We are having a run out up that way tomorrow.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, BoD said:

The Northumberland coast is a truly wonderful place.  History, nature, unspoilt beaches, those huge skies… but I guess I don’t need to tell you that.  We are having a run out up that way tomorrow.  

It is a lovely coastline its a good view out of the train window on the ECML.

Alnwick and Bamburgh castles are worth a visit too The gardens at Alnwick castle are nice too including the poison garden 

Then there is Cragside house as well 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

One for NHN?

image.png.c1296e4f75f0253c1d6e11b7de89c54b.png

Was he on the poop deck?

Oddly inaccurate of our local paper - quelle suprise.  It was the Chief Officer, not the Old Man.  And if you believe his excuse.....LOL  Having seen the GPS track of the vessel, he must have had the trots for an hour or two. Not on the bridge for sure, doing something else for sure also.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We could do with a British version of Norm Abram and The New Yankee Workshop

I still watch Quest or Quest+1 (a mix of Discovery programs) when I'm awake in the early hours - seems to be repeats of various do-up-a-car programs, or buy old armamaents (WWII) stuff. Mostly the sort of people who you would expect to associate with Arfur Daly, or even worse #mercans. I'll exclude Fantom Works from that (seems to be in Norfolk Virginia, does very thorough restorations taking years and obviously costing a fortune).

For most of these I'd much rather watch 5th or 6th repeats of Norm and his biscuits (small pieces of wood in recesses to help glue two blocks together).

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Us too and that's a very rare event because as you have all probably realised by now I prefer to watch people play with funny shaped balls.

Ahh, so GDB is one of those hooked on "Naked Attraction" 🤣🤣🤣

If you truly want to see the lowest depths of humanity, there's "Chrisley Knows Best", about the lowest point I've ever seen US TV descend to. I fell over this one trawling the TV for something worth watching a few years back in the hotel.

I managed maybe 5 minutes just to take in how truly awful, self-centered and idiotic these "reality" people are. The ENTIRE family not just the parents...

They are now (parents, not sure about the adult children) facing years in jail for federal tax fraud amongst other things, couldn't have happened to a better group.

THAT is the "reality show" I'd like to watch. How they cope in jail after committing federal fraud and tax evasion, both felonies. 😃

HUMP day.

The Long Island client are rousing from their slumber, albeit slowly. A few short communications yesterday and a suggestion that they may be ramping up their changes to the "Cash Flow" statement, this stalled since late February!

Nothing else to report, quick trip to buy bird seed yesterday and that's about it.

There is much noise coming from across the railroad track, the adjacent street is getting resurfaced. Will be causing quiet a mess and bottleneck for weeks I'm sure.

Last evening saw a serious bout of thunder storms roll through the area, much lightening, but sadly only 1/2 inch of actually rain for all the flashing banging and crashing that went on.

Today 16 first thing breezy and mostly sunny, high forecast for a reasonable 25-26.

Tally ho... over the HUMP we go.

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I still watch Quest or Quest+1 (a mix of Discovery programs) when I'm awake in the early hours - seems to be repeats of various do-up-a-car programs, or buy old armamaents (WWII) stuff. Mostly the sort of people who you would expect to associate with Arfur Daly, or even worse #mercans. I'll exclude Fantom Works from that (seems to be in Norfolk Virginia, does very thorough restorations taking years and obviously costing a fortune).

For most of these I'd much rather watch 5th or 6th repeats of Norm and his biscuits (small pieces of wood in recesses to help glue two blocks together).

I also watch him on You Tube Norm also appeared on a show called This Old House.

I have a biscuit jointer very useful piece of kit it increases the area that can be glued 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Things must be getting bad McDonald's are increasing the price of cheeseburger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62317453

Bear had great fun in South Korea in various branches of Maccy D's with the staff....

"I'll 'ava da Burger withouta da Burger".  Were they confused?  Oh yes....

Bear here.....

A successful-ish day.  Lots of stuff delivered without drama to a very grateful Hospice Charity Warehouse; they didn't want a couple of pairs of scissors (I was expecting that so asked the question) and also (surprisingly) a decent computer keyboard.  Nottaproblem with the latter, cos' I went the short distance into town and the local Marie Curie shop said yes please, so that's a good 'un.  It's the first time there since early 2020 - the number of shops closed (probably for good) was noticeable, and the town in general seemed pretty quiet too.  The M.C. Charity Shop had a rather interesting leccy leather recliner armchair - only 3 month's use from new (under a year old) but apparently the owner "couldn't get on with it" so parked it in another room before donating it.  The leather looks a pretty close match to the leather reclining suite (very decent Sofa & "middle-aged thru' use" armchair) I currently have so I'm pondering the "new" one in place of the current armchair.  I'll need to decide quick I suspect.

Then it was maybe a couple of hours of fun (FUN??) looking at telly's and carpet in JL; I did think I was being a little ambitious asking the rather young person with numerous body piercings what the difference was between two different models of Samsung Telly.  Bear was correct...

Carpets?  Ah yes.....carpets.....

Mucho time looking at carpet.  All those makes...all those colours......almost enough to put a Bear off his LDC....

I did note a make (Adam Carpets) that appeared to be a higher quality that that I already had in mind (Brintons).  Downside?  Fourteen sixteen quid a metre dearer.  Yep, that's a Turdycurses.  Bear came away with "numerous" samples from both ranges.  I was a little dismayed to be told that a measure n' estimate visit takes 1-2 weeks, with fitting 4-6 weeks after that.  Yep, Turdycurses No. 2.  I've a sneaky feeling that I should've sorted a carpet earlier.

It was good to see that "the regular" Cafe has survived Covid unscathed (outwardly at least) - though I've a sneaky feeling the prices have been bumped somewhat.  Still fair value though. 

On the way home I went to a local independent Carpet shop (been trading 40 years) for a more detailed talk regarding the two ranges I have in mind; as they are 3 quid cheaper than JL on the Brintons I was hoping for similar on the Adam.  That'll be TC's No. 3....

They gave me numerous large samples (2ft x 2ft?) out of the showroom book so I could bring them home to view - they didn't even ask my name or address, it's all done on trust.  Tick.  I've also noted that their offering is four hundred and sixty notes cheaper than JL for the same thing.  Bear calls that a no-brainer.  

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

We could do with a British version of Norm Abram and The New Yankee Workshop

Bert goes opens the door of the 6 x 4 shed, only to be greeted by tons of SWMBO's sh1t, kids beachballs etc. and spends an hour fighting thru' it all so he can fire up the power planer/radial arm saw/router table/biscuit jointer,  sorry, Black & Decker Workmate; all he needs to do now is track down his trusty Junior Hacksaw, club hammer and flat-bladed screwdriver (last seen being used as a cold chisel) so he can start work on his new hobby of Marquetry....

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. BIN day tomorrow so I will have to get the bags out ready tonight. Not being interested in kick-ball I can find nothing of interest on the goggle-box so now to catch up with Farcebook.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

fun (FUN??) looking at telly's and carpet in JL; I did think I was being a little ambitious asking the rather young person with numerous body piercings what the difference was between two different models of Samsung Telly. 

Our present tv is a Samsung and I haven’t been disappointed. One thing we did have to consider is that some almost similar models have different stand designs. We didn’t want to replace the piece of furniture the tv would sit on and some stands wouldn’t have worked. Of course if you are wall mounting it probably doesn’t matter as the stand isn’t used. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I guess Ben is a Disciple of the "Never sh1t on your own doorstep fellowship".  So do it on someone else's instead.  Bear predicts a very p1ssed off Bunny shortly.

Turdycurses... 

On the subject of TV, multiple channels with 24 hour schedules and distasteful programming, I can only offer the thought that that is why broadcast TV is sometimes known as a medium - as it is neither rare nor well-done. 

Hat, coat ... shovel ... 🙄 

• Funny 11