The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, polybear said:

One of the very first emails opened today mentioned Amazon Prime and those dreaded words "Important Changes to Your Terms and Conditions".  ... they're bungin' the price up from £79 quid a year.

How much by? 20 effin' Percent

They need to pay for their "Lord of the Rings" derived television project "The Rings of Power" - the most expensive television series ever made and likely to be excoriated by die hard Tolkien fans - whether they do a good job or not.

The wild west days of streaming are coming to an end. Netflix is struggling. Consolidation is coming.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

42 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They need to pay for their "Lord of the Rings" derived television project "The Rings of Power" - the most expensive television series ever made and likely to be excoriated by die hard Tolkien fans - whether they do a good job or not.

The wild west days of streaming are coming to an end. Netflix is struggling. Consolidation is coming.

Once the greed took over and every bloody network and distributor decided to create their own service (I’m looking at you Paramount) the writing was on the wall. To get the shows I want to watch used to be about £40 for a basic HD Sky package. Now it is around £50 for Sky and another £70 for all the streaming services. I’m more inclined to wait, pick up several whole series at Fopp on Blu-Ray for a fiver each, then donate it. Likely cheaper in the end. 

I can see the Paramounts failing and crawling back to the bigger ones to distribute their programmes once people really start cutting back. My prediction is that in 18 months we will be down to 3 survivors. Prime, Netflix, & Disney. The Acorns, and others will just lose too many subscribers to survive. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There was a nasty grass fire in the Dallas, Texas area yesterday. It was believed to be started by a mower and torched 20 homes.

So that'll be the mower operator all lined up to be sued for $200M then.  At least....

40 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Re the fires in London 

The BBC website was reporting on one of the families that had their house destroyed they are now searching for their Fathers ashes in the garden.  I do hope they can seperate them from the rest of the detritus left from the fire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62307515

The son was on the TV news earlier - it sounded like he was successful (buried in the garden maybe?).

In other news........

ARGHHHHHHHHHH...........
😱

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Once the greed took over and every bloody network and distributor decided to create their own service (I’m looking at you Paramount) the writing was on the wall.

Paramount is a Johnny come lately. Theirs was a case of "Monkey see, monkey do". They got into streaming because "they had to" to play catch up with where the market was perceived to be going (meaning to 'streaming'). Paramount (CBS) had their offerings on cable (or broadcast on cable) for years.

I don't have a subscription to any streaming service (except HBO-Max, and that's because I have an HBO subscription on cable*). The whole cable model was to provide aggregate content for a fixed fee. Then along came streaming, and all the 'noise' was about "cutting the cable" but all content had to be independently purchased per streaming channel - inevitably costing more in the long run than the volume discounts in aggregation on cable, which is where we are now.

* Originally free because of a mistake made by a cable technician who wrongly disconnected me. When the free period ended I paid for it because of a couple of on-going programmes I was watching.

I did decide that I would purchase Disney+ (for Pixar and new Star Wars content) but still haven't actually done it. I am considering Prime for the LOTR:Rings of Power project. We'll see.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

For those that were always interested in how clocks & watches work but were afraid to ask.   This blog Junior Puppers pointed out to me would appear to answer all your questions.   I haven't worked my way through it all yet but it looks like it might be most educational.

https://ciechanow.ski/mechanical-watch/

Night Awl!

Alan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Re the fires in London 

The BBC website was reporting on one of the families that had their house destroyed they are now searching for their Fathers ashes in the garden.  I do hope they can seperate them from the rest of the detritus left from the fire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62307515

I understand that they are in an urn buried in the garden. The marker for were they were buried is destroyed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Re the fires in London 

The BBC website was reporting on one of the families that had their house destroyed they are now searching for their Fathers ashes in the garden.

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand that they are in an urn buried in the garden. The marker for were they were buried is destroyed

Here we regularly see on the news the aftermath of fires devastating people's homes and lives. It is very sad.

I will admit that I was a bit confused by the notion of looking for cremains (ashes) in the ashes of a house fire. (Now clarified.) I do understand the desire to find *something* / *anything* personal not destroyed by a fire. Sadly it seems to feature in every news story on the aftermath of wildfires.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 11

Evening all. Many thanks for the congratulations. Like I said last night, much of the dozen years have been good, but we have battled through some rocky and difficult spells in the last couple of years.

Today we headed off to Cromer, visiting the Amazona Zoo in the morning. It is always a favourite when we are in this part of the world. Nice to see that they still have the big cats with a new male Jaguar occupying the enclosure that was vacated by the deceased elderly females of the same species. The jaguar really is a fine looking creature.

In the afternoon we drove down into the town and I did have a visit to Buoys Toys - always good to check out other model shops. Amber went off to have her ears pierced. This was attempt number three after a couple of failed attempts. Sarah had decided to have them done when she was six, much against my wishes. The process had really hurt Amber and she had taken the studs out and allowed the holes to heal up. Now, much older, it was her own choice but the memories of the earlier pain lingered and she had not been able to go through with it. This time she managed to have them done and was very happy with the result.

Afternoon refreshment was taken in the bar on the pier and we were back in our favourite pub tonight for an evening meal once we arrived back in Hunstanton.

Meanwhile, on the subject of railways, it appears that there is conflicting information on the Bure Valley. Their Facebook page, three days ago, suggested daily steam services and the timetable leaftlet indicates hourly steam hauled departures from both ends of the line. I have checked their website and it is showing a special timetable with just three non-stop diesel hauled trains each day. It appears that they have also succumbed to the fire risk.

Take care all.

Andy

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

As the temperature is rocketing through 34°C in the early afternoon the weather dashboard on the Windows taskbar lit up with an air pollution warning in effect through tomorrow. Last night's weather forecast did include a warning about high-altitude smoke from northern California fires*.

* The third large Mariposa County fire this season.

I did notice a hazy horizon - not inconsistent with the heat, but the skies remain a slightly hazy blue. After checking, air quality is apparently "moderate" and particulates are actually down a little from when I was out walking. It won't stop me from opening windows tonight, presuming there is some indoor/outdoor temperature equilibrium before my (late) bedtime.

Meanwhile this widget image.png.89f2b1318b7264fa8ce6ee9050146415.png keeps popping up on the taskbar.

Having returned from collecting the mail, it's really hot outside. (Inside too.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just realised that a program I wanted to watch this evening has been and gone, I forgot all about it, I'll have to watch it on catch up.

14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Here we regularly see on the news the aftermath of fires devastating people's homes and lives. It is very sad.

I will admit that I was a bit confused by the notion of looking for cremains (ashes) in the ashes of a house fire a bit confusing. (Now clarified.) I do understand the desire to find *something* / *anything* personal not destroyed by a fire. Sadly it seems to feature in every news story on the aftermath of wildfires.

I possess quite a few family heirlooms as well as some other antiques that are irreplaceable and I would hate to loose them. I just can't imagine losing everything like that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good day at the office. Yorkshire Ridings over 60s knocked off 221 runs for the loss of nowickets..amazing!

Excellent tea!

On the way back to Leeds we were caught in a very,very heavy rain storm..everyone except an idiot driving a   Range Rover  classic slowed down. The road was awash.

Then..the rain stopped like a tap being turned off.  Damp patches on the paths at home...

Time for some sleep!

Baz

• Like 19

9 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I can say the First Nations people have been treated like sh*t since day one. That discrimination is always in the background.

Sadly the legacy of empire and colonialism the world over. I can't think of a single counter argument to the statement that it is present everywhere that colonialism has touched. Best if I say no more.

• Agree 14

9 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Summer on the Canadian prairies. The b*stards would just carry off the electric bug zappers for some late night kinky fun. Driving more than 100km meant stopping at the next town's self serve car wash to power jet wash the front of the car. Seriously, they'd block the grille and cause overheating. Grass hoppers the size of eagles. Mosquitos  show up on the Flight Radar app. horse flies that were about the same size as a palomino. Those up side down people ain't got nothing on our prairie bugs. 

Actually, I've been getting worryingly few insect strikes lately . 30 years ago I'd wash the car every couple of weeks and have to get out the bug and tar remover to get all of them off the bonnet front, headlights, number plate etc -  it'd be a splattered mess.

Nowadays even my ute which  is bright yellow rarely has a bug splat on it even after weeks between washes. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the food chain if it is a thing and not just my skilful driving avoiding them.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

21 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Canary in the coalmine, I think. Scary indeed!

Koalas and the other cuddlies  get all the concern about their plight  but its the moths etc that will potentially cause a catastrophe if they go.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/18/a-995-decline-what-caused-australias-bogong-moth-catastrophe#:~:text=In 2019%2C after decades of,counted on just one hand.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning all,

Firstly, a very pleasant night was had (in my bed instead of on the sofa) as yesterday was relatively cool (less than 30°C) and so my bedroom was just about the right temperature at 10pm.

Secondly, somewhat of a surprise for me. You will recall that I bought some cheap and cheerful solar powered lights to tinker with, well I put them out in the garden and saw vastly different performances between them. I have a very cheap all plastic lamp with “candle effect“, a set of four directional down lighters and a set of three metal and plastic pathway lamps.  I noted that  even within a single set of lamps there are considerable differences on when the lamp turns itself on and how long each lamp will burn. Having taken them all apart before installing them in the garden, superficially the rechargeable batteries and circuit boards look the same within a given set of lamps - so, theoretically, they should all perform the same. They don’t. I wonder if any of the electronic wizards on ER can illuminate me (no pun intended). And quite unexpectedly, the very cheapest solar powered lamp of all is the best performing!

@monkeysarefun made a very interesting post about what awaits a trained nurse in Australia versus the UK. What I find appalling about this is that the average salary for a UK nurse is merely a fraction over £25,000, whereas some NHS trusts are advertising for “non-jobs” such as “diversity awareness officers“ (or similar) at salaries starting in the mid 30s. Whatever your views on the NHS, there is something seriously wrong when a “non-job“ gets paid more than a patient-facing role.

The other thing that is very evident from @monkeysarefun posts is (a) how poorly paid people are in the UK and (b) how professional body fees are much higher in the UK than elsewhere (I have direct experience of this: my membership fees of the Royal Society of Medicine – as a non-UK domiciled member – is about half the membership fee of a UK domiciled member). 

Fortunately, I have yet to take the plunge into the murky waters of online streaming entertainment – Not having a Netflix or Amazon prime subscription. We do have a Swisscom TV and Internet package – which gives us about 400 channels of TV plus Internet and telephony, which is certainly more than we could ever watch. Granted, some of the TV channels provided are of no interest (wall to wall sport, for example) whilst others are so appallingly bad that they transcend their awfulness and become watchable (albeit for very short amounts of time) just to see if new depths of awfulness can be plumbed (and usually they are). 

Of the English speaking channels, Channel 4 has to be the one that is the very definition of tasteless, crass and vulgar. Their “hit show“ Naked Attraction, not only is a perfect definition of tasteless, crass and vulgar but it is also the modern equivalent of the Victorian Circus’s freak show. If anything can be held up to be a shiny example of “car crash TV“, then this program is it.

Lord Reith must be spinning in his grave so fast that he could power the entire Southeast region of the UK!

Have a happy hump day!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

The migratory North American Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus plexippus) is now endangered.

There may be several causes like declines in milkweed abundance and monarch populations between 1999 and 2010 are correlated with the adoption of herbicide-tolerant genetically modified corn and soybeans and illegal logging of the oyamel trees in Mexico.

Agricultural pesticides in the Western US have had a big ecological knock-on to bird populations.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6