The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Good to see Robert pass by - we have several ER's missing these days.

Our guitar-playing (and in a band?) fellow ER'er** (and creator or excellent muddling videos on the 'tube) appears to have gone AWOL - hope all is ok.

**Whose name escapes me, embarrassingly.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

If @PupCam fancies a leisurely train trip to Switzerland (Eurostar then the TGV) he could get his MRI done here: http://www.mrzentrumthun.ch/MR-Tarife.php (typical pricing). Interestingly, the use of Gadolinium as a contrast medium doubles the price and the most expensive investigation on the list is the cranial angiogram with gadolinium contrast at £695.

Prices include the scan, all materials, the radiologist’s “read” and the report to the patient’s GP (or whomever ordered the MRI for the patient).  Reports are sent - electronically - the day of writing, together with copies of the MRI.

One of the great things about my GP’s Praxis is that he has an in-house lab and radiology suite - so for routine stuff it can, quite literally, be done “while you wait”

I think that I may cause a little envy amongst certain ER posters when I say my GP does not employ any “Checkpoint Charlenes” - just nice ladies who are most helpful and can answer the phone in less than 10 rings.

I was a bit sceptical when my friend and former GP turned his Praxis over to the “Boy Doctor” upon retirement  (“Boy Doctor”? well, I am old enough to be his father). But I’m very happy about continuity and quality of care.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Moorin Awl,

An awful nights lack of sleep, at no point did I get a solid hour, pain from joints and it being too warm..

Ben the I want out Collie cut short his morning patrol, but only after demanding a big cuddle..

Puddles on the road locally grass was damp, it's already turning green again..

I know Buoys Toys https://www.facebook.com/buoystoysandmodels in Cromer has had a few days off due to Covid, but I think it's probably reopened by now.

Several members of Broadland MRC http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/ are or were volunteers on the BVR, so will have known Stuey..

Must speak to those who do our web site in the club to get it up dated.

Sadly AndyRam has missed this months opening of the Barton House railway in Wroxham.. https://www.bhrw.org.uk/

and our regatta next week https://www.horning-sailing.club/ 30th July -5th Aug @ NR12 8AA

and our MRC open day / show 28th Aug 10:30-16:00 at NR12 9DE

just Awaiting this weeks first system to finish it's overnight run then there's about an hours work left and it's finished..

Time to... wait.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A grey start to the day here and cooler at 16°C.  Chance of some scattered showers today, let's hope they're heavy.

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Our guitar-playing (and in a band?) fellow ER'er** (and creator or excellent muddling videos on the 'tube) appears to have gone AWOL - hope all is ok.

**Whose name escapes me, embarrassingly.

I'm guessing you're referring to Andrew P.  He has been posting elsewhere, looks like mainly on proper muddling threads.

My only plan today is to wash the car before we get a hosepipe ban.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I think the law changed for motor insurance such that they were no longer allowed to load premiums for disabilities as it was viewed as discrimination; so long as the condition has been disclosed to DVLA and they are happy then it's a green light.  Slightly different for travel insurance, understandably.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

My comment on insurance was about travel insurance.

Bear is correct regarding motor insurance.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up again at six this morning then went back to sleep again until gone seven. Thats despite Arthur Itis putting in a shout but he soon went back into hiding. Congratulations to @andyram on your anniversary and good to see @Robert back. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

If @PupCam fancies a leisurely train trip to Switzerland (Eurostar then the TGV) he could get his MRI done here: http://www.mrzentrumthun.ch/MR-Tarife.php (typical pricing). Interestingly, the use of Gadolinium as a contrast medium doubles the price and the most expensive investigation on the list is the cranial angiogram with gadolinium contrast at £695.

Prices include the scan, all materials, the radiologist’s “read” and the report to the patient’s GP (or whomever ordered the MRI for the patient).  Reports are sent - electronically - the day of writing, together with copies of the MRI.

One of the great things about my GP’s Praxis is that he has an in-house lab and radiology suite - so for routine stuff it can, quite literally, be done “while you wait”

I think that I may cause a little envy amongst certain ER posters when I say my GP does not employ any “Checkpoint Charlenes” - just nice ladies who are most helpful and can answer the phone in less than 10 rings.

I was a bit sceptical when my friend and former GP turned his Praxis over to the “Boy Doctor” upon retirement  (“Boy Doctor”? well, I am old enough to be his father). But I’m very happy about continuity and quality of care.

Oh Herr Dokter it was all going so well until you said the report would be sent electronically along with the scan. The NHS is still using fax machines so I'm afraid the report will need tobe printed off and faxed - that includes the scan by the way. Alternately you could always send it by mail. No scrub that. Royal Mail will either lose it completely, forget about it and then deliver it two years later or try and delivery only to say you were out and its been sent back to sender due to insufficient postage. Perhaps it could broken down into eight inch strips wrapped a pigeons leg and sent by 'air mail'.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

51 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

moaning.jpg.4e1b4abe6c09b3cac0dfd4b79be0ff33.jpg

Greetings from a much cooler boring borough. We had rain. Well, almost enough to make the path look wet. <meh>

Happy Anniversary to @andyram. Good to see @Robert popping in for a visit too. 

I know they are stretched to the max but the NHS really needs to sort its administration out. Pre-surgery assessment yesterday. Visit, nope. Video call. Logged in, sat in the "waiting room" as the countdown clock kept getting later and later. Eventually it reset to show 59:59 delay. Phone rings. Nice lady says they are locked out of the system, so she does the assessment over the phone instead. Now for the fun part. I need another Ultrasound. Go to Queen Mary. Need an MRSA blood test. Go to King's @ Denmark Hill. Can't go to the phlebotomy clinic that is literally across the street. Nope, different NHS trust. <sigh> Surgery? Orpington. Queen Mary's

MSK has 2 separate check in desks. One of each NHS trust that has space there. Duplicated staff. What a waste of resources and desk space. <arrrrgggghhhh> Oh and post op will be at either Orpington or King's depending on the day of the week and phase of the moon. One thing I do miss about Canadian health care is most GP offices are in "medical centres". That means one stop shopping for blood work, cardio assessment, and imaging. Last time I had an x-ray there, it was GP > imaging > 30 minute wait > back to GP with the results. End to end in under an hour. Here, it is now, GP > random hospital depending on the form you get > 90 min wait at the hospital (usually a couple of days later) > results to GP in 5 to 10 days > 10 days minimum to get back to the GP. 

And now..... work. Looks like I'll be escaping the present project and moving on to a bank project. This will mean my first work travel in over 3 years. Off to Copenhagen in Sept for a couple of weeks. I may have to buy new clothes as I've been living in jeans & sweat pants for nearly 30 months now. I'm going to have to watch YouTube videos on how to tie a tie again. 

Latte consumed. Another coffee needed to investigate why said latte has failed to inject any caffeine into my blood stream. 

Enjoy the day. 

Hmm I wondered what that smell was.

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it looks my efforts to move the rain down south only partly worked, it’s stopped raining here, must try harder! As it’s not raining, there is a good chance that I’ll get last week’s plant purchases planted out and a bit more dead heading might get done as well. However, if the rain does return, I can always find something to do in the workshop! 

Back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Bear, in a moment of madness, wandered down the Quack's to collect the blood letting form.  Arrived at 0825, expecting madness in the place.  How many in the waiting room?  One.  How many at the Reception Counter?  One - a white furry Bear.  I guess the madness is confined to the telephones.

Afterwards a quick dive in the Co-op was called for - a LDC on the clearance shelf (short date - which makes bvggerall difference) at a very attractive price.  It would've been silly not to.....

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I'm guessing you're referring to Andrew P.  He has been posting elsewhere, looks like mainly on proper muddling threads.

Thanks - that's the man.

Right, wardrobe here Bear comes.....

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear, in a moment of madness, wandered down the Quack's to collect the blood letting form

I had a message from the gp recently. I think they had forgotten that they had given me a years worth of blood test forms last year but just as I was about to book a test using my last form, I received a text asking me to arrange a blood test. In the text was a link to print the form. If I were unable to print they would do it and either post it or I could collect it. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

And they want more people to drive electric cars

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62296443

In the 50s there were plans for countrywide nuclear power plants  ... but lost its way so now we pay e.g. France for supplying nuclear power.  .  personally I hate all these 'windmills' all over the place taking up farming arreas so we have to buy more from abroad.  Rant over.

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

**Whose nae escapes me, embarrassingly.

Andy P?

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One very dirty off white car has now been restored to its original shade of brilliant white.  Took over an hour and a half which is a bit longer than usual mainly because on the drive to Norfolk and back last week I became a serial killer and so had to remove the remains of dozens of squidged insects, some of which did not want to be removed.

Now having a well deserved muggatea and waiting for the rain which I just know is now going to come as the car is now dry and gleaming.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I don’t know why @polybear is complaining about a mere 20% increase in Amazon Prime costs, does he know by how much aviation grade kerosene, landing slot and airport fees have gone up recently?

I’m going to have to halve the number of Caribbean Long Weekend Getaways I can take this winter.

I may even have to sell off the Cessna Citation and just have the one Dassault Falcon.

It’s tough at the top, I can tell you!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Then someone stole the wire (4 tons!) length that had been taken down and coiled ready for putting back up.  Three arrested a couple of days later, but they had cut the wire into metre lengths, so that was ruined too. 

I really do hope they bill the scrotes for the full cost of the wire.

In other news.....

Wardrobes sorted - tick; some stuff for Charity & some for the recycling bin.  Now it's the Airing Cupboard - Bear's just going inside for a while, I may be some time......(see what I did there?).

And finally.....

I've just been listening to the News regarding the treatment of the Indigenous Indians in Canada.  When did this happen?  A hundred years ago?  Fifty?  Nope - right up as late as the 1990's.  Stunned.  Other words are available but as the R word is very much involved I'll refrain....

I trust the Authorities will be seeking out those responsible (there must be a fair few still alive) and prosecute accordingly.  Kidnapping will be a good starter for ten.  Somehow I'll not be holding my breath though.

And finally finally.....

Bear kinda watched a certain debate between two people on the box last night.  Who's the best?  Dunno, but one of them wouldn't get this Bear's vote simply because they right royally p1ssed me off by interrupting all the time.  Yep, that's a Rant.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

In the 50s there were plans for countrywide nuclear power plants  ... but lost its way so now we pay e.g. France for supplying nuclear power.  .  personally I hate all these 'windmills' all over the place taking up farming arreas so we have to buy more from abroad.  Rant over.

In Scotland they are building offshore wind farms, they are currently building one around 17 miles off the coast of Angus where I live, seems it will generate enough power to feed over one million households...........................as long as the wind blows.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

In the 50s there were plans for countrywide nuclear power plants  ... but lost its way so now we pay e.g. France for supplying nuclear power.  .  personally I hate all these 'windmills' all over the place taking up farming areas so we have to buy more from abroad.  Rant over.

There was a suggestion that thorium nuclear power plants should be built but the governments do not want to know. Thorium is a lot safer, it can be switched off like a light and doesn't produce such nasties as plutonium. Plutonium is one of the main ingredients of nuclear bombs.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8