The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

If not, you could always increase the incident light level falling on the cell by placing a 1kW spotlight just above it to provide more oomph but that might be missing the point .........

Now if iD were to rig up a doggie treadmill that was connected to a generator to power the spotlight that would fix the problem.....

Bear - such a wasted talent.  I bet The Great Empire are kicking themselves now.....

🤣

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm assuming you use a 32 bit processor in that Arduino, and that you don't have a floating point co-processor. There is lots of potential for inaccuracies with trigonometry unless you are using some kind of floating point package in the software.

Precisely wot Bear was thinkin' too....

Bear here.....

Back still fu'barred.  Seems to be reasonable during the day when I'm a doin' things, but becomes a b1tch at night - but fortunately doesn't stop me from entering or remaining in snoozybearland.  Until I want a No.1 at 2am, that is - at which point gettin' to the little room can be "interesting".  There's no obvious suspicion that the Bearymattress is also fu'barred too (too much abusive DIY'in much more likely) but I'll keep that option on the back-burner for future reference.

Today should see:

1.  Bear phoning the Quack to see if I'm gonna grow another head after o.d'ing on the tabs - and asking for forgiveness for sinning.....as well as some what-to-do-now instructions.  Monday morning on the phone could be fun.....

2.  Arranging for a boiler/fire service; I expect that after the kitchen & lounge refurb it may be "dusty" in there.  It was last serviced by some bloke called Noah, who needed the money for some woodworking tools cos' he wanted to build a boat....

3.  Visiting the local Topps Tiles for some self-levelling floor compound - they have some that is good for 2mm - 50mm thickness, which sounds good to this Bear.

4.  Level the floor.

That'll do for starters.....

Bear gone.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. We certainly needed the rain last night however little of it. Only problem was it woke Arthur Itis up, yesterdays exertions didn't help either. Its a bit breezy this morning but thats keeping it cooler than it has been recently. Now time to run a bath, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 19

Gosh, I seem to be rather late this morning.  I have slept very long and very heavy.  This is not good.  If I feel like this for the next few days it will be interesting driving to Sidmouth on Thursday.  Perhaps I shall feel better later in the day.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Just back from walking the Wolfpack- flamin’ Ada it’s humid. Today was a 7am start, so I reckon it’ll be 06:00 tomorrow morning.

I’m not sure - although my research on the internet (as unscientific as it may have been) suggests that the solar panel will charge a higher mAh 1.2v rechargeable  battery. I suppose that an approach would be to have the unit “off” for a few days (so no power drainage), fully charge the unit and then turn it on.

After I posted last night, I returned to the workshop and I was able to separate the LED from the battery box and re-examination of the wiring revealed a lot more wire than initially assessed and better quality too. So it will be quite easy to provide a longer connection between battery box and LED.

TBH it’s quite a good thing - from the perspective of upgrading such things - that the Chinese manufacturers make abundant use of hot glue - so much easier than trying to separate components that have been superglued, solvent welded or two-part epoxied.

Well got to run - off to take the electric abacus for repair.

Enjoy the week!

I think I might have solved why your number crunching machine isnt working and why there's better quality wire in the solar lantern. When the two items were being constructed there must have been a mix up in the supply orders and the NCM got the old cheapo wire and lantern the expensive stuff. 

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Back from the cycle ride and having breakfast.5.2 miles at an averagecof 13 mph. First time out on a proper ride for many months.  Both mamil and machine seemed to perform well.  Now onto such mundane things as looking at why the sink is draining very slowly.

Regards to all.

Jamie

No mention there of the memsahib I notice. I take it she was monitoring from the comfort of her bed?

And no I'm not helping with the drainomatic. Your perfectly capable of sorting that out on your own.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a damp and breezy rock, where the outside temperature is unknown as the transmitter doovery thing has died for the second time in a week, not sure if we have duff cells or it is indeed falling off it's perch.  Phone-o-app indicates 16c, but I find that to be often pessimistic by comparison with two other devices that you actually have to go outside and look at.

A day of 'exciting' washing and housework beckons, unfortunately.

Pupper's Sidereal Arduwotsit has caused a considerable whooshing sound here.....looking around to see what's causing it.

You wait until it comes into land. I think the phrase is - batter down the hatches and keep your fingers crossed either that or - all hands abandon ship/island.

• Like 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s been raining overnight and everywhere is wet, very wet, in fact it’s still raining now, absolutely chuckinitdarn, it wasn’t when I started writing this! Normal Monday morning duties are the order of the day, starting with the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, I’ll also look around the other shops today as well. What I will after dinner has not yet been decided, but it won’t be anything outside that’s for sure! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

Would those of you receiving rain be so kind as to ship some our way. We've had less than 1mm in the past 3 weeks. Our water butts are bone dry and I fear for the next water bill. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

No mention there of the memsahib I notice. I take it she was monitoring from the comfort of her bed?

And no I'm not helping with the drainomatic. Your perfectly capable of sorting that out on your own.

The memsahib went out as well but only 5K at a slightly more pedestrian pace.  

The sink has been sorted. Blocked pipe between the sink and the grease trap outside. Fortunately  I have some rods. The greasectrap was cleared at the same time. Then sfter all implements and thevpath had been well hosed down. I hosed myself down under the shower and changed my clothes.  Muggacoffee 2 time now. I need to buy a smaller diameter curly bit for the end of the tods. Anyone got any ideas what I need to search for.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Would those of you receiving rain be so kind as to ship some our way. We've had less than 1mm in the past 3 weeks. Our water butts are bone dry and I fear for the next water bill. 

If it was within my powers to move it south, I’d be only too glad to do so, however.............

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Today should see:

1.  Bear phoning the Quack to see if I'm gonna grow another head after o.d'ing on the tabs - and asking for forgiveness for sinning.....as well as some what-to-do-now instructions.  Monday morning on the phone could be fun.....  Done.  Tick

2.  Arranging for a boiler/fire service; I expect that after the kitchen & lounge refurb it may be "dusty" in there.  It was last serviced by some bloke called Noah, who needed the money for some woodworking tools cos' he wanted to build a boat....  Done.  Tick

3.  Visiting the local Topps Tiles for some self-levelling floor compound - they have some that is good for 2mm - 50mm thickness, which sounds good to this Bear.  Done.  Tick

4.  Level the floor.

Er, Bear has started it......

I decided that filling the deepest bits with a mortar mix would be a good plan before bungin' the SLC down - so I've done that.  It's got rid of the last of some sand I had (there was nottalot in the bag anyway) and means there's less chance of running out of SLC, which would be a very serious Turdycurses moment indeed.  The downside is I really should leave the mortar a few days at least to dry before bungin' the SLC on top.  So Bear is now into MIUABGA mode.....

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning it is showery here on the Northumberland coast - mainly just a few drops then the cloud moves on so the plants will still need watering.

Yesterday involved the usual visit to church followed by coffee and keeping in touch with friends.  Lunch was rather bigger than I had intended as after the pulled pork with potatoes and 2 veg I still felt hungry so had apple pie and custard.  I then decided a walk would be a good idea so set off for the beach.  I have a choice of several routes, some I like more than others, but there is not much in it in terms of distance.  

Having arrived at the north end of the promenade I went down onto the sand and walked towards the harbour entrance, the tide was ebbing so there were things washed up on the beach slowly drying out in the warm sun.  Among the debris were several seabirds, presumably the victims of bird flu - a sad sight.  Most were black headed gulls but there were also a couple of waders and a gannet, not something I often see here - it looked as though it had been dead some time so it had probably drifted in on the current.  As usual I picked up a few more cowries.

Then I retraced my steps but continued south to walk back by another route.  Just before home I stopped to have a quick chat with some neighbours, half an hour later I got home.  After that it was cup of tea and plant watering.  In the evening there was more music and Murder in Provence.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2