The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Put the dog in the kennel for now. 
I like to read conspiracy theories, how conclusions are made from the evidence available.

Ive read quite a bit about the Philadelphia experiment and one of the books i read about it is  categorised as ‘fiction’. I cant remember any concrete evidence to support the theories.

On the other hand I find the topic of the ‘Nazi bell’ much more interesting. There is, literally concrete evidence of something but trying to explain it much more compelling. 
Id give references to books but out shopping.

Another good one but ive mentioned it before is ‘Titanic, the ship that never sank’

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A certain Mer Martin Bashir should be charged with, er, something or other - lying little b'sterd.  Perhaps the Beeb should sue him for recovery of what they've had to shell out in compo; the Beeb are not exactly blameless either.  That's a Rant.

And another Rant....

If Bear Towers were ever burgled I wonder if The Plod would telephone a thousand cabbies trying to track down the culprits?  Or just issue a crime number.....

With all the money the Ecclestones have you would have thought they'd (a) have (or turn on) an alarm system, (b) lock the 6" thick reinforced steel door to the goodies, and (c) have the common sense not to announce on the web that they'll be away from home.  Hmmm, (c) might be asking a little too much....

• Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

@polybear  the stupidity of the Ecclestones seems unlimited £25 million of cash and diamonds in the house.  Shame they couldn't have kidnapped Bernie and kept him 

That's 2 big BBC lies now the Diana interview and the Coverage of Cliff Richards arrest hope they have to sell Albert Square to pay the damages happen the next residents will actually have washing machines? 

@Erichill16 do you mean Die Glocke

And the theory that it was actually Olympic that sunk whilst disguised as Titanic 

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thoughts
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

@polybear 

Are there really only two "on the books"?  Is it a particularly rare variant of XL250?

Hmmm.....swapped?  Part-exchanged sounds better to this Bear.  

Only 2 registered on DVLA, there will be others in the back of garages in tea chests!  It's an  XL250K3 1976, one year only model, didn't sell well as it wasn't as good as the then new KL250 Kwacker, so yes, rare.  I've only seen one other over here TT week which was one of the two! 

The next year the S version came out and wiped the board, heaps better than the KL.  I've had a XL250SA, much better in all respects except character, it didn't have any.  The value of old trail bikes may surprise you.....it's worth about the same or perhaps more than an early 80's CB750FD unless it was a low mileage, original minter.....really. 😲

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Returning to the subject of conspiracy theorists, an acquaintance of mine is a dyed-in-the-wool believer that the 'truth' about UFOs is being withheld by world governments and in particular by the military.

The released UAP footage from USN/USAF, heads up/targeting/tactical displays is intriguing, and remain, of course, "unexplained" and being declassified, are hardly "withheld".

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

The following is an older, but just as good as his current talks/explanations, on the question of UFOs, it's only 11 minutes but it's worth the time, funny and to the point also;

Neil deGrasse Tyson Aliens and UFOs

The audio on that video is so bad I gave up.

...my "go too" is Neil deGrasse Tyson (Astrophysicist) he's very interesting to hear and also read, several books by him.

I particularly enjoyed his "naming rights" lecture where he posits the danger to scientific learning in societies that willfully embrace religious fundamentalism. He illustrates the point by showcasing the fact that solar system names are Greco/Roman while two thirds of stellar names are Persian and Arabic (named at the height of Islamic sciences - think algebra) but makes the argument that this learning fell off a cliff in the 12th century with the teachings of Hamid Al-Ghazali where philosophy (and theological conformity) overtakes observational science.

I found the argument quite compelling.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, making space in the garage meant this could come out from under the layout where it has lived sheeted up for the last few years.  Also rare, only 10 registered on DVLA, we own three - but they're not on DVLA of course.

1299001524_20220721_1535321.jpg.7a6bd9e6130a0745aa882f150857e002.jpg

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, polybear said:

It annoys Bear intensely that there a substantial number of total f**kwits that are too effin' lazy to squash a cardboard box flat before putting it in a wheelie bin.  Don't they realise that they'll get ten times the amount in a bin by doing that simple action?  And it's about time that the cameras that supposedly monitor people who dump stuff in the recycling bins - and all around the bins too (ironing boards, polystyrene, pushchairs......) (a) actually worked, and (b) were used to seriously fine those T0ssers that are intent on fly tipping.

Yep, that most definitely is a Rant.

Most definitely agree with this one - annoyed me when at work - take a box, flattened (and with tape removed) to find the bin 'full'. and then spend a minute or few taking them out  and re-fitting.  If the originator had folded the total time taken to do the folding would be less than me having to put mine down, remove said box or boxes, fold and then put all in the recycling bin - totally agree with your rant Polybear.

Edited by PeterBB
Typo viz the thought of Polymer ...
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For this one, my "go too" is Neil deGrasse Tyson (Astrophysicist) he's very interesting to hear and also read, several books by him.

The following is an older, but just as good as his current talks/explanations, on the question of UFOs, it's only 11 minutes but it's worth the time, funny and to the point also;

Neil deGrasse Tyson Aliens and UFOs

I've not come across him before and irrespective of the quality of the audio on that clip, I like him!    

I can see I a significant amount of time being spent catching up now I've actually arrived at the party!    

Many thanks for educating me Ian 👍

34 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

That's 2 big BBC lies now the Diana interview and the Coverage of Cliff Richards arrest hope they have to sell Albert Square to pay the damages happen the next residents will actually have washing machines?

Only 2?    Cynical old Puppers ........

Perhaps the head of the BBC's Factual Programming Department (if there is one) should check out the dictionary definition of factual? 🤔

BFN

Alan

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

- totally agree with yoour rant Polymer.

Nooooooooooooo!   

Is Bear made of plastic, that's shocking news (but probably factual to some organisations)! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@AndrewC if only there wad a market for pre loved,pre stained mattresses I would have made a fortune.

Sofas and tv cabinets and microwaves were the next most popular fly tipped items we regularly had to shift 

There is (or was) a market for pre-loved and pre-stained mattresses. There was a gang who obtained such mattresses and simply replaced the covering. It came to light when a purchaser had a nasty smell coming from her 'new' cheap mattress. It turned out that the previous owner of the mattress had died in bed and hadn't been found for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I have an interest in Jack the Ripper and if your looking for conspiracy theories it is fertile ground, and thats without some of the crazier theories as to who he was or even who his victims were. I have my own theory but it goes against the accepted mantra even though it is more probable than some theories put forward.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is (or was) a market for pre-loved and pre-stained mattresses. There was a gang who obtained such mattresses and simply replaced the covering. It came to light when a purchaser had a nasty smell coming from her 'new' cheap mattress. It turned out that the previous owner of the mattress had died in bed and hadn't been found for a couple of weeks.

Where is the eeuurgh button

• Agree 13

57 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I've not come across him before and irrespective of the quality of the audio on that clip, I like him!    

I can see I a significant amount of time being spent catching up now I've actually arrived at the party!    

Many thanks for educating me Ian 👍

If you have the time, try his book "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" it's very entertaining as well as enlightening if you want to try it.

Worth the read even if you aren't wanting to be on the talk-show circuit 🤣

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Which probably means (although I have to check) that it is out of warranty.

Thought the EU had an 'implied warranty" like we have here?

Basically the idea is that an expensive item like Laptop, TV, fridge etc should be expected to last a lot longer than the 1 year warranty period so if it has an issue in its 2nd or 3rd year the seller is required to cover the costs - the ratio of which will slide the older the item gets, so you might get full replacement value after 18 months, but that'll reduce as time passes.

Sellers by law have to let buyers know this at purchase time, which annoys them since they would much rather spend that time trying to sell some kind of expensive "extended warranty" which is actually superfluous here, given these regulations.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There have been some interesting theories to the identity of Jack The Ripper from a member of the Royal Family to an American and various others.

I do like to try to keep an open mind to things but with some I do struggle 

Indeed, The member of the royal family who was put forward as a suspect, Prince Albert Victor was easily eliminated by examining royal records that clearly gives him an alibi. As a 'senior' royal (Queen Victoria's grandson and second in line to the throne) his movements are a matter of record. The American, H H Holmes was a notorious serial killer in Chicago at the same time as JTR but is highly unlikely to be JTR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Istr a cotton merchant from Liverpool putting himself in the frame in a diary and DNA "evidence" indicating a Polish immigrant.

I read Fortean Times occasionally there is some interesting stiff other is just guff

I have a passing interest in the Paranormal 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2