The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

No more rain for the moment but with cricket due in Manchester tomorrow I reckon it will be raining there so I may not be travelling!

As it is next on line meeting starts in 1.5hrs.. PAH!

Even though I am chairing teh meeting the old hands wil try to drag it on.. well we will see!

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just back from "The House of Geek" - we tried out a brand new charger on my (almost) brand new business laptop. Nothing, nada - not even a charging light came on. Time for a Captain Cynical Fear-o-Gram to wend its way to the manufacturer...

I am so vexed* that words fail me - even those Anglo-Saxon ones you can't say around sensitive grown-ups

* British understatement

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a little late NHN, whose outside environment is windy, dry and 21c.

@iL Dottore iD said:  or is it because believing that they have “the truth“, and the rest of the sheeple don’t, makes them feel special and boosts their self esteem?

Spot on, Flavio, from my experience with my work mate ....errr colleague.

So today may bring the sale of the bike, I'm not really bothered one way or another but it doesn't get used and is in the way as we have one too many in the garage currently.  The guy asked to buy it, not the other way around, but I'm not sure he's ready for the culture shock of a 45 year old bike, his last bike was a new Triumph 900 adventure bike.   It looks better in those photos than it really is, but it is a very rare model, there are only 2 currently registered in the UK.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nice and comfortable this morning with a slight breeze but likely to warm up later. Off to have my ears lowered this afternoon but first a dip in the bath before it gets too hot.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

..... That practice should be made illegal - batteries in laptops and mobile phones should be swappable at home by even the most inbred user without difficulty.  Chucking phones etc. cos' the battery has died is just nuts....

Of course conspiracy theorists would probably argue batteries are being made non-removable so 'they' can always track your location (or your device). The only sure way to avoid your device's location being known is to remove the battery, because even when the device is turned off it can still communicate with networks. So if security is critical, it's best practice to remove the battery after turning off. 

I'd guess commercial reasons of some sort are most likely but yes, it's still crazy. 

12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I suspect the tree combusted due to falling on 25kV lines......tends to spark up a bit.

12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The reason why it fell?

12 hours ago, polybear said:

It fainted in the heat....

Conspiracy theory no. 2: CC has trained a crack squad of beavers to chew through trees and telegraph poles at crucial locations to cause damage to key infrastructure. This was a field test ... 

Or, if you prefer, a bear had an itch on his back and had an over-exuberant scratch. Oops. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

And relax.

He bought it.  Loved it.  Must be bonkers.  Said it reminded him of a bike he had as a young 'un, the old draw can be strong.  Sorry, Bear.  I would have swapped it for that 750  😉

20210622_140510.jpg.3611281dd090bd89a6b498fb8864244f.jpg

#NHN visits O Gauge websites....yum.

Captain Cynical was thinking about putting in a large bid in order to acquire the motorcycle. But then had second thoughts, as it is far too flashy: subtle, restrained, dark tones with a hint of menace are the necessary colours for the motorcycle outriders* of Captain Cynical’s armoured limousine and entourage.

* CC is convinced that his motorcycle outriders are all nutters and vintage vehicle freaks: they have two Zündapp KS 750s with side cars and mounted MG42s and everyone wants to be assigned to the Zündapp sidecar…

image.png.0ba0cd1e47b19d213f0d33d287e1a289.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

LAPTOP UPDATE:

1. Kidnap the loved ones of the board of directors, send locks of hair with notes to them saying “no laptop repair? Hair today, fingers tomorrow
Could work…..

Wrong order , start with the fingers , no one wants their loved ones humiliated by being bald .   👹

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Returning to the subject of conspiracy theorists, an acquaintance of mine is a dyed-in-the-wool believer that the 'truth' about UFOs is being withheld by world governments and in particular by the military. Some time ago he asked me how many UFOs I had seen, to which I replied that not only had I never seen one in the whole of my flying career but I'd never met anyone who had. His answer to that was that I therefore must be part of the cover up, thus proving that all military pilots were so involved. Nothing I could say would change his mind. Now, this chap is otherwise a seemingly rational, intelligent human being but his belief is so overwhelmingly strong that anything that runs counter to it must, of necessity, be a lie. 

Note that the question is not whether I believe that earth is/has been visited by UFOs but whether or not I will admit that the evidence is being covered up.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Well I actually did some of the G-word - tidying/weeding/picking up leaves from flower beds (not that there are many flowers...oh, hang on, there was a rose bush....).  About half the garden done (the worst bits) - I would've done more but the dust etc. being kicked up did a most excellent job of turning Bear's snozzle into a slobbering mess....

I'll leave you with that picture and say...

Bear gone.....

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Dave John said:

Buildings ? I thought they Tartorians just invented a sauce to go with fish ...... 

Just a thought - what are their thoughts on space exploration?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10