The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In other news, archeologists have discovered Tartaria. 😉

See thats where you went wrong because apparently  its archeologists that are the problem, making up history in order to hide the evidence of the Tartarian empire.

The actual fair dinkum research is done by ordinary people all around the world who can see the evidence before their own eyes, unlike "Scientists".  If you choose to look, its all around you, even in your old home state of Queensland... This building has all the Tartarian hallmarks - sunken windows buried by the mud flood, ornate carvings that couldnt have been done by the Victorians because they rode around in horses and carts, doors way taller than needed by Victorian age people, a domed ceiling which once housed a free energy generator and black and white tiles. I still havent worked out what is significant about black and white tiles though yet.

I've been kind of delving into Tartarian Truthers  on the internet for a couple of months because its much funnier than most of what passes for comedy on the telly these days and have made some connections.

. It looks like Tartarian belief kind of sprang up around 2016 or so and kind of has loose links to the Qanon movement and the later antivax  stuff. Youtube channels of Tartarian Truthers invariably also have videos of antivax marches they've attended and it seems that it  basically began for the same reason that the  antivax movement did  , a distrust in real science and a conviction  that the "truth" is  being kept from us by the government in order to control us via vaccines and so on.

This video outlines the connection  perfectly - leaving a "Freedom" march to protest lockdowns, these truthers come upon some poor guy who has something on his ute roof.  Now I dont know what it is either, being Australia it could be some kind of super- LED spottie for roo hunting or similar, but to the Truthers he is an undercover cop with some kind of energy weapon and they bravely confront him.

Apart from medical science and archeologists, astronomers also come under fire for hiding the truth of what is out there. Apparently even the solar system is a made up conspiracy, as the same lady who discovered Brisbanes Tartarian building shows.

(I chose Australian examples in case anyone here thought I was picking on their deluded people, but there are Truther sites and pages  from all around the world out there

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I'm paying £0.1541/kWh plus the ripoff daily standing charge which is about £0.22/day.

The back of my envelope says that's around 25% higher than I pay. Not as high as I might have guessed.

There's dozens of line items on the back of my bill - per kWh charges for usage, distribution, transmission, etc and fees and credits like the list of credits on a CGI movie including for sustainable alternative generation. There's probably still amortized payments for the nuclear power station that was decommissioned in 1992 with cracks in the steam generator tubing.

Much of the power I use is hydroelectric.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The actual fair dinkum research is done by ordinary people all around the world who can see the evidence before their own eyes, unlike "Scientists".  If you choose to look, its all around you, even in your old home state of Queensland...

Inconceivable! 😉

It's not really new of course - back in the day you had to subscribe to nutter societies by letter and they would send you a roneoed/mimeographed typewritten newsletter about how the earth was flat or the moon landings were faked. The internet seems to have breathed a faux credibility in this nonsense for the gullible that beggars the imagination.

I suspect Tartaria has roots in the Nephilim - perhaps like Nephi in the Book of Mormon might.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

See thats where you went wrong because apparently  its archeologists that are the problem, making up history in order to hide the evidence of the Tartarian empire.

The actual fair dinkum research is done by ordinary people all around the world who can see the evidence before their own eyes, unlike "Scientists".  If you choose to look, its all around you, even in your old home state of Queensland... This building has all the Tartarian hallmarks - sunken windows buried by the mud flood, ornate carvings that couldnt have been done by the Victorians because they rode around in horses and carts, doors way taller than needed by Victorian age people, a domed ceiling which once housed a free energy generator and black and white tiles. I still havent worked out what is significant about black and white tiles though yet.

I've been kind of delving into Tartarian Truthers  on the internet for a couple of months because its much funnier than most of what passes for comedy on the telly these days and have made some connections.

. It looks like Tartarian belief kind of sprang up around 2016 or so and kind of has loose links to the Qanon movement and the later antivax  stuff. Youtube channels of Tartarian Truthers invariably also have videos of antivax marches they've attended and it seems that it  basically began for the same reason that the  antivax movement did  , a distrust in real science and a conviction  that the "truth" is  being kept from us by the government in order to control us via vaccines and so on.

This video outlines the connection  perfectly - leaving a "Freedom" march to protest lockdowns, these truthers come upon some poor guy who has something on his ute roof.  Now I dont know what it is either, being Australia it could be some kind of super- LED spottie for roo hunting or similar, but to the Truthers he is an undercover cop with some kind of energy weapon and they bravely confront him.

Apart from medical science and archeologists, astronomers also come under fire for hiding the truth of what is out there. Apparently even the solar system is a made up conspiracy, as the same lady who discovered Brisbanes Tartarian building shows.

(I chose Australian examples in case anyone here thought I was picking on their deluded people, but there are Truther sites and pages  from all around the world out there

Mind Blown 

I wonder what these Tartarians make of Norman Cathedrals and Castles what lifeforms built them?

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and all that but they are still bat sh1t crazy

• Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2022 at 21:20, Dave Hunt said:

I had a similar problem with that make about ten years ago when the cabin fan got stuck on full. The local garage couldn't find anything fault indicated on the test machine and the wiring diagrams they had didn't seem to cover the problem so they asked the manufacturers for an appropriate diagram - which request was refused and they were told that the car had to go to a main agent. I duly took it there to be told that the fault was in the ignition lock barrel and a replacement would cost something like £500. I complained to P****** to no avail then the local garage said that they could get the barrel from a write-off at a nearby scrapyard and fit it together with the keys for about £75. Guess which option I took?

Dave 

Well,  I have had a reply asking for more information.  The tone suggests that the garage is at fault whereas the problem is a manufacturing/design fault if something so 'simple' can not be easily fixed.  We will see what they say next.

Edited by PeterBB
typo corrections
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It might not be as hot as the last couple of days but the humidity is making it feel worse. Not much evidence of rain here either.  They were talking about manure heaps spontaneously combusting. The internal temperature of a manure heap can reach 140F/60C depending on what they contain. Apparently the fir tree that fell across the WCML bringing down the overhead also spontaneously combusted. I read somewhere that such trees which contain a lot of resin so when heated exude a flammable vapour which makes controlling fir tree forest fires so difficult. Perhaps the tree in question was giving of vapour and it was just waiting for something to ignite it. 

We have huge plantations of pine for the building industry, plus infinite gum trees yet with our higher temps and drier air theres never been a case of a fire stared by a tree just combusting, that'd be a whole new pile of worries for us if that ever does turn out to be what caused your fire! .  Here, if it starts in a remote area it'll be due to a lightning strike and if in a populated area, arson or. a welding accident or controlled burn gone feral.

It'd surprise me if arson wasn't responsible for at least some of your fires. The other thing that surprised me was the Lord Mayor of London begging people to not have BBQ's etc. Here on hot days the state just slaps a total fireban on , meaning absolutely no naked flames, bbq's ,  welding etc on pain of big fines.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

We used to tip leaves from parks and cemeteries that we had picked up with the sweepers/leaf suckers in a compound in a park (leaves from roads and streets had to go to landfill due to potential heavy metal contamination).

Come January you could see the heat shimmer coming off the piles.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BoD said:

Means we will probably have to do another shop.   Once a week at a supermarket is more than enough for anyone, darn it.

I prefer to go to supermarkets in the evenings, when they are quieter. If I go in more peak hours I certainly notice the congestion and extra time. But I generally go two or three times a week, partly because of lack of storage space, partly because if I go with a "normal" list there is always something they have not got.

Of course, if I end up going really late then I find Sainsburys is only automated checkouts - I hate those like most here - and both Sainsburys and Tess'Co tend to have loads of stock trollies blocking the isles.

OTOH tonight I went with a small list just after 7pm and got all that plus some things (e.g. canned wine) which were not on the list.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s a very serious reply to what was simply a flippant, throwaway remark written with a touch of hyperbole for comic effect.

I do post things that are not meant to be taken either seriously or at face value.

But the flip[pant has brought out why the additional costs seem to be so high ... in other words some of us have leant something tonight.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This was the package I referred to. On a second viewing it seemed to cover several locations of fire, though there was one stretch of row/terrace houses I saw on multiple news reports.

The houses burning 0:22 to 0:25 are those in Dagenham. From 0:25 to 0:32 Wennington, then back to Dagenham about 0:32.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, polybear said:

There's very, very little that Bear misses about working, sorry being at The Great Empire - but the aircon buildings is one of them.....

£0.28 per kWh

Daily standing charge: £0.45

(These are the average price cap rates)

That's the price until the end of September 2022, at which point it'll be shooting up to who knows what?  Hang on - apparently they're expected to increase by 65%, so:

£0.46 per KWh

Bluddy hell.

Now then, can you get frozen salad??

edit:  So the standing charge means a yearly leccy bill of £164 even before you use any leccy at all

That's so the ions will reach Bear Towers, young bear.

You need your ions if you want to listen to Alexa tell you your bed time story.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We used to tip leaves from parks and cemeteries that we had picked up with the sweepers/leaf suckers in a compound in a park (leaves from roads and streets had to go to landfill due to potential heavy metal contamination).

Come January you could see the heat shimmer coming off the piles.

Barns full of hay and straw and large piles of coal can spontaneously  combust.  There used to be a pile of half a million tons of the black stuff that I could see out of my office window in Pontefract, not far from where Simon lives. There used to be two large bulldozers working every day pushing it around to reduce the risk of fires.  It's all gone now.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

15 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Barns full of hay and straw and large piles of coal can spontaneously  combust.  There used to be a pile of half a million tons of the black stuff that I could see out of my office window in Pontefract, not far from where Simon lives. There used to be two large bulldozers working every day pushing it around to reduce the risk of fires.  It's all gone now.

Jamie

When the green waste is being composted it has to reach a certain temperature range, which I can't remember I'm afraid, in order to kill off pests and harmful bacteria. In order to maintain the temperature the green waste will be turned.  A constant check is maintained so as to ensure that the winrow doesn't become to hot or too cool. It's the combination of mechanical turning, oxygen and aerobic bacterial action that causes the wood fibre and vegetable matter to break down into organic matter. The process produces water that is rich in nutrients. This needs to be captured so that it doesn't contaminate ground water/ streams etc. Once the temperature levels off the winrow is ready.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, we had a great day at Tatton Park Flower Show, the weather was a lot cooler than yesterday, a mere 22C this afternoon. By the the amount of plants we came home with, we are certainly doing are bit for the economy! I’ll be busy over the next the weekend, getting that lot planted. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3