The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

…The plastic it is made from seems really cheap and nasty.

Not only that, but often the plastic is of such a type that it cannot be repaired without resorting to either two-part epoxy resin type glues (which of course you cannot put on invisibly or thinly with any ease) and/or are impervious to anything but the sort of industrial solvent that requires a hazmat suit to use.

as we are professing to be concerned about the environment, a good first step would be to make consumer goods repairable – and that includes the materials they are made out of.

• Like 4
  • Agree 15

45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s a very serious reply to what was simply a flippant, throwaway remark written with a touch of hyperbole for comic effect.

I do post things that are not meant to be taken either seriously or at face value.

And that's a very patronising response to what was partly meant to be a helpful reply.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s a very serious reply to what was simply a flippant, throwaway remark written with a touch of hyperbole for comic effect.

I do post things that are not meant to be taken either seriously or at face value.

And that's a very patronising response to what was partly meant to be a helpful reply.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

And another vote for Henry. Not only is he made in Wales, works brilliantly, he's surprisingly fixable with basic hand tools too.

Not so sure that Henry was expecting this sort of abuse though.....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/naughty-vicar-caught-wearing-stockings-24497033

In other news.....

Timber sanded - now for the Danish Oil.  Not so sure that today is significantly cooler than yesterday somehow - whilst the Met Office Website claims that Bear Towers is 12C cooler than yesterday it certainly doesn't feel that way to this Bear.  And Charlie Conservatory is currently sitting quietly at 30.7C (yesterday was 33C).

I received my first Covid home test kit for the ONS Survey - instead of a monthly visit from Nurse Covid it's now a DIY jobbie following by a walk to the Post Box on the same day.  Seems do-able to this Bear.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

as we are professing to be concerned about the environment, a good first step would be to make consumer goods repairable – and that includes the materials they are made out of.

I think that is well on the way to becoming law in the UK and the EU but I might have got my wires crossed (never was good at DIY).

We had a Dyson that worked pretty well but eventually the seals where you took it apart to empty it stopped working properly so it became eardrum-burstingly loud and far less efficient. It got replaced with a Shark, mainly because some people on here seem to find them good. The shark works well although I have noticed that Mrs Lurker has avoided using it at all, which probably means that I am expected to always do the hoovering.

Greeting from LBG. The day is cooler, the journey in was not too hot and there is a nice breeze by the Shard. Oh and the aircon in the office is good too! 

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

Greetings from the boring borough. Late today as work interfered early. We had rain last night. Well that is what the weather app said. I think the sum total was around what a gnat could wee out. Warm again but nothing like yesterday. Burned through £8 of electrons to power the air con in the house and shed. Power outage in the night for about half an hour. Moved the chiropractor appt as I didn't feel like sitting on a Southeastern 376 with its total lack of ventilation and their usual turn the heat on full when the temp is over 20c. 

We dumped the dyson on to the offspring. After the house renovations we decided no fecking carpet. We have a Shark which is more than adequate for cleaning up the dust and cat air. Anything major cleaning wise and I bring in the Karcher shop vac from the shed. Rugs just get the Shark for every day cleaning and a bath when needed. 

Back to work. <sigh> 

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Not only that, but often the plastic is of such a type that it cannot be repaired without resorting to either two-part epoxy resin type glues (which of course you cannot put on invisibly or thinly with any ease) and/or are impervious to anything but the sort of industrial solvent that requires a hazmat suit to use.

There is still planned obsolescence to contend with, and not always with the cheapest items.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

The Shark went to electrical recycling bin because there was a problem with the hose on the base where the beater bar is the only spares they had were to replace the whole base £70 ish even to replace the hose for the wand was £40 so Henry was bought. A box of Hepa bags were a tenner for 5 on Amazon 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Sat outside with the doggies I am having a mug of decaf the DDSF are enjoying goat milk.

I have been catching up with the dead heading from yesterday. It looks like the sweet peas are toast.

I would love it to rain then I can carry on with reseeding grass on the top section.

The bottom section of the lawn is brown/yellow I don't water it 

A bit of a raindance 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! back in Leeds after a few days in cooler Cleethorpes.

We had a relaxing day yetserday  so had an opportunity to get some Applebeys' Ice Cream

IMG-20220719-WA0010.jpeg.fa29656e9199eefea58cb0d863ffad69.jpeg

Lots of flavours to choose from.

Last night we had a meal at the hotel..

IMG-20220719-WA0017.jpg.e6ab6f93ddd506b1855503962141d8d2.jpg

a bit of smoked salmon to start  followed by

IMG-20220719-WA0019.jpeg.b61fae15cf30d6faa8b54798fe4b5478.jpeg

a small steak... I was OK with that so herself had

IMG-20220719-WA0024.jpg.e12d23f8d5e72bb71f492e91ac0f3287.jpg

Pimms Summer  Jelly with fruits and  sorbet.. Eaten with a nice drop of red!

As it is the temperature has dropped a bit on our return to Leeds. A gentle breeze is keeping the house cool and it looks like we will be having a Thunderstorm later! 

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Sat outside with the doggies I am having a mug of decaf the DDSF are enjoying goat milk.

I have been catching up with the dead heading from yesterday. It looks like the sweet peas are toast.

I would love it to rain then I can carry on with reseeding grass on the top section.

The bottom section of the lawn is brown/yellow I don't water it 

A bit of a raindance 

This reminded me of one of my favourite Wouter Kellerman recordings and one of a few classical pieces I play on flute but do not wish too hard for this season, it will, all too soon, be upon us and we will be singing another tune!

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I think that is well on the way to becoming law in the UK and the EU but I might have got my wires crossed (never was good at DIY).

Call Bear a cynic but I've a sneaky felling that "home repairable" may well be interpreted somewhat differently by manufacturers - I've a sneaky suspicion that they may well cane the ar5e out of spares prices as they do now, for example.

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Burned through £8 of electrons to power the air con in the house and shed. Power outage in the night for about half an hour.  

Is that eight quid for 23.5 hours usage then?  Ouch.

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

We had a relaxing day yetserday  so had an opportunity to get some Applebeys' Ice Cream

IMG-20220719-WA0010.jpeg.fa29656e9199eefea58cb0d863ffad69.jpeg

One of Bear's favourites is Turkish Delight flavour - sadly not seen very often; I first encountered it in Whitby.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

OK, off to test ride a bike that is going to a new owner tomorrow if all goes well.  Yes Bear, that one.

Not the XL?  😭

In other news.....

The first coat of Danish Oil has been applied - it's changed the colour of the timber somewhat - the jury's out as to whether or not that's A Good Thing or not yet...nottalot I can do about it though.

The catch on the front gate no longer does what it's supposed to do - i.e. "catch", cos' the posts have shifted in the dry weather (but are still very solid).  The gate and posts have been there all my life and a good few years before that too; the post to which the gate is hung is very corroded close to the ground (but has been like that for 12+ years that I'm aware of) so at some point in the future I expect it'll give up the ghost and need replacement, meaning a certain Bear will have the job of diggin' it out of the ground and concreting a new post in.  Hopefully that's a good few years away yet though.

Oh yes, the catch....it looks like I'll be firing up the arc welder soon and adding an extension to the existing catch so that it, er, catches once more.

And finally.....

Ladies & Gentlemen, Bozo has left the building.....

But not before this little nugget:

Mr Johnson hit back describing Sir Keir as a "pointless human bollard"

Seems a little harsh on bollards if you ask this Bear....🤣

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is that eight quid for 23.5 hours usage then?  Ouch.

We did some sums for running a couple of aircon thingies. Assuming we only use them on sunny days we could probably power them from our solar panels and still have enough electricity to run our other usual devices. Might possibly need to choose what to run at night from our storage batteries, though an extra battery would deal with that. The house hasn’t been too uncomfortable over recent nights  anyway, for instance we haven’t needed the fans we used to use in the bedrooms in previous hot spells, probably due to the improved loft insulation. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1