The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Been wondering why stuff on the BBQ trolley has been mysteriously thrown  off of it and left lying on the deck over the last few days.

If it was the UK I could call in Most Haunted but failing that we had to use a combination of being in the right place at the right time and a  super secret spy cam to find the culprit. 

Turns out thats their way of letting us know that the bird feeder needs topping up.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Funny 14

The fold in the hill is cooling now although the breeze was warm earlier in the day.

work is suit and shirt, very rarely a tie these days, but other than that jeans and a t- shirt- or shorts when the weather’s good!

I have never got the “need” to be smart. That is a forced school or work thing. We went out for a belated meal for Mrs Lurker’s birthday last summer and I was in a bit of a crisis because Theo Randall’s expected smart - it said so on their website- and I didn’t want to wear a suit; it was nearly as warm as it had been the last couple of days. As it turned out I needn’t have bothered because there was a bloke on shorts a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops as a fellow guest.

and because il Dottore will care, the food was as excellent as it is reputed - and not bank breaking like some Michelin starred places are.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Conversely, if my wife and I go out to at a nice restaurant, we both dress up a bit so as not to let down those who have taken the trouble to 'look nice' as she puts it.😐

Brian

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The pair of jeans was successfully procured and is likely to be deployed today.  This morning I plan to view the new Railway Children movie at the multiplex and I should get home afterwards just in time to watch the original on TV.  This evening a favourite band, Le Vent Du Nord, is playing at The Stables.   All in all, today should be dead cultural.

Chris

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only for some - a relative few I suspect.

Interestingly, I read a long, long time ago something about how you could distinguish (before “The swinging 60s”) between the monied classes and those without: look at how they dress on Sundays. The article claimed that the very rich would potter around in battered old clothing on weekends, whilst the less affluent would dress up in their “Sunday best“.

How true the claims of this article were, I have no idea.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather warm place.  Due to get warmer.  Thank goodness for aircon in cars.  As yesterday was very warm, mid 30's we didn't do a lot. I did have to top up the pool after a pipe sprang a leal.  The pipes do degrade with sunlightbover thecyears.  The water was still 33 when I spent a pleasant hour hoovering the harvest dust out.

Today we will both be heading to Poriers to pick some friends up from the airport. They have 3 young kids and a lot of luggage so 2 cars are needed.  Europcar has taken their booking, and money the told them that their office is shut on a Sunday.  No one is happy but we couldn't see them stranded.  We look after their 2nd home and they are good friends.   They have now managed to locate a hire car for Monday pick up so I'll be helping out with that.

Meanwhile not a lot to do but the chickens need mucking out later this morning

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good morning all,

Nothing much in store for me today – except to cook a fillet of beef sous-vide, finish it in the oven and serve it with steamed broccoli.

@Gwiwer I hope you had a successful sponsored walk and, apart from being mobbed by beautiful young women seriously impressed by your toned athletic physique 🤣, you suffered no mishaps.

@chrisf - Did you follow the link I provided about leg cramps? (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14170-leg-cramps) - some very useful advice which I will heed the next time I have leg cramps (they also happen to me every so often – I suppose part of the price you pay for getting old)

I noted that ChrisF has managed to source himself a pair of jeans. I wonder if he is now going to put them on and then sit in a bath full of water as in the famous Levi’s 501 jeans commercial 

and if you remember that commercial (one of a number of amusing commercials for Levi’s produced in the 80s) then you are certainly showing your age.

They may not be politically correct nowadays and likely to score very poorly on today’s “what you can and can’t say/show“ tick box checklists; but the 80s certainly did produce a lot of really great TV commercials.

Finally, I have just realised that I face a conundrum today: do I unstrap myself from my finger splint and do some modelling and pay the price later, or do I remain strapped up and get absolutely no modelling done?

Enjoy Sunday!

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring, Awl,

4 hours sleep, woke with a headache, pink pills 3 hours sleep.

Ben the I want out Collie, took me on patrol, a much more enthusiastic snuffle, once he had chased off the pigeons.

A light dew this morning, the grass is getting greener, cool light breeze coming off the sea. Just a few light clouds up there..

A cheque was written this morning, which will be dropped in at the sailing club today. It's to pay for spoons, traditionally silver spoons are awarded on the Thursday, for the first 3 Places in each race . Originally they were solid silver but have long since downgraded to stainless steel.

In return for the donations, you are awarded by becoming a vice president for the day, and invited to wine and nibbles at lunch time...

Certainly it was dress for church in a suit and tie in the 1960s for everyone, but the wealthy it would be a tweed suit, the less well off their only  suit, normally black.

For the traditional wealthy men, weekends would be in the country, brown heavy shoes, Tattersall shirt, A full tweed suit if visiting some place, but if not , tweed or "moleskin" trousers. With the shirt and shoes.

Wet weather is a oiled coat, of course Barbour was the name to wear, but I notice, their site now includes hoodies and the like.

Having a wander online there are still plenty of country gentlemen's stores available today.

Kilted gentleman also have a country weekend change of clothing, the Green background "Hunting " variety of their family kilt, brown sporran, tweed jacket, paired with the brown shoes and Tattersall shirt.. 

It was noticeable a member of the sailing club went from jeans and hoodie to moleskin trousers Tattersall shirt  and highly polished brown shoes.. the reason... Army officer training...

Time for a muggacoffee and breakfast.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Why does the warm weather bring the rabble out?

Gives the flies somewhere to land - must be getting kinda tricky now that doggie owners have to scoop it n' bin it.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I noted that ChrisF has managed to source himself a pair of jeans. I wonder if he is now going to put them on and then sit in a bath full of water as in the famous Levi’s 501 jeans commercial?

Personally Bear reckons that Chris may well opt for the launderette scene:

Bear here.....

Wash the Bearmobile?  Shaky. Very, very shaky - the Beary back resulted in a Bear climbing out of The Pit and heading downstairs very, very carefully this morning, which is kinda concerning when you're bustin' for a Number One.  Turdycurses.

So today is most definitely a MIUATBBDD**

(**That's "Make It Up As The Beary Back Decides Day")

Bear gone.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Practically every hour the predicted temperature on Tuesday goes up, now its 41C., whatever it is its too hot. Off out shortly to the two local events, the second although I will be there when it is hottest will be the most comfortable. Usually it is cold and draughty even in the summer so should be cooler.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Long day at a warm (with cool breeze) office yesterday. A fielder fell and broke his wrist, then a batter pulled a hamstring, then a very slow over rate in the second innings (they will be fined for that) meant I got home about 8:30 pm.

Umpires appointments officer turned up. He is not happy with me as I have told him to follow the ECB ACO guidance for umpire appointments as in Best umpires for Best games not Best mates for best games. 

I wear Craghopper cargo trousers (black) to umpire in. Light weight when it's hot, mefuims normally and I do have some thick lined ones for cold weather.

Today is do nothing day.. ie no scheduled tasks have been given out..so far!

Before the day progresses.. Time for my mugatea!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Interestingly, I read a long, long time ago something about how you could distinguish (before “The swinging 60s”) between the monied classes and those without: look at how they dress on Sundays. The article claimed that the very rich would potter around in battered old clothing on weekends, whilst the less affluent would dress up in their “Sunday best“.

How true the claims of this article were, I have no idea.

"old battered clothing...."

Out shooting or mucking about on the farm estate. But being well made clothing, in the first instance, it probably was not in such a state as that of the "old battered clothing" of the "less affluent."

And with that, ' morning all, keep cool, keep safe.

🏖️

Polly

• Like 18

As we are paddling around in the very shallow end of the murky waters of the British class system, I have an interesting, and probably contentious, factoid to pass on.

I read – in one of my many history books about the Georgian period – that the social structures in Britain partly came about because it was physically impossible to tell the difference between the Aristocracy and the rest of the population (or at least much of it before the industrial revolution).

This author contended that unlike aristocrats on the continent – who only interbred with themselves – the British aristocracy had a long history of marrying off impoverished sons to the wealthy daughters “of the middling sort“ (and later to American heiresses). Thanks to this constant enrichment of the aristocratic gene pool, without the distinctions made by accent, manners and clothing, it would be easy to mistake a British aristocrat for a commoner (or vice versa). Unlike on the continent, where the aristocracy had (and probably still has for all I know) a certain “look“ about them.

An accurate assessment? It certainly sounds plausible.

I have quite a few volumes on British social history of various eras and they are all very thought-provoking in more ways than one. Nothing like a well researched history book to get “the little grey cells“ agitating….

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Been wondering why stuff on the BBQ trolley has been mysteriously thrown  off of it and left lying on the deck over the last few days.

If it was the UK I could call in Most Haunted but failing that we had to use a combination of being in the right place at the right time and a  super secret spy cam to find the culprit. 

Turns out thats their way of letting us know that the bird feeder needs topping up.

If you had called Most Haunted in you would have found that it would be Stuart and Yvette Fieldings Husband throwing stuff about. Allegedly.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Rick. It's been a while since I've had a long walk and a long time since I've done anything approaching that distance. I will not remedy that this afternoon... 

Perhaps if I washed our windows I could make it rain to lower the temperatures? We did have a couple of showers this morning, one around 5 am and then another a bit later. The dawn was very colourful, though only having had a few hours sleep, I didn't get the camera out. Blue skies and a hot sun now. 

A light and cold lunch has been had. I wondered if we might have a visit from our four legged suspects, as I baked a chocolate cake yesterday. Together with other food cooked to see us through the hot spell without needing to use the cooker, the inside of the fridge is a tad crowded. Garfield would probably approve. Fingers crossed for Bear's back. Now if the NHS was civilised and run on humanitarian principles, LDC would be available on prescription... 

Time to head into a cooler room and review some 'mucky magazines'... Hope everyone can stay cool(ish) and free from aches and pains of all descriptions. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well done Rick.

As everywhere today is Scorchio but cloudy not a breath of air.

The DDSF were released into the back garden early doors Rolo roaming Pebbles into her play pen I sat next to her pen on a deckchair drinking my coffee. The deckchair is too low for me and made my knees hurt.

I have some woodwork to paint inside but decided its too hot to do it, its the spare bedroom so not a rush job yet.

As the car goes for test at the end of the week I decided to give it a good hoovering with Henry ending up changing the bag as her ladyship seems to forget to do it.

The car has been to the jet wash (a sh1tehawk has decided to drop a bomb on it whilst we had nipped into Halfords.

I am now re reading last years Viz annual

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Yes ALL POSTS READ - as we are again having a couple of days of not doing any work on the house.  And of course, the ususal greetings are on offer to all fellow ERs.  And a special mention for Rick completing your walk against a really warm day.  Well done to you.

Instead, we went to a church fete - which turned out to be a fete worse than death - it was dire, and a waste of petrol and of the admission fee - there were only four stands there - books, bric a brac, bottle stall and a lollipop tree - oh and a rather dire brass band.  Just to support the event, we had a go on the bottle stall, and WE WON - a bottle of cassis and nectarine buck's fizz - with a use by date of June 2016 - needess to say it was used to clean the drain.  The bottle is so sedimented that I couldn't recycle it without wasting a lot of water - and Severn Trent have already asked us (twice) to keep our consumption down.  So it went into landfill.

Temperature here is HOT - but then again, some of us remember 1976 when it was HOT for three months - not three days - standpipes, pubs running dry, and no respite at all - and NO red weather warnings - just warnings from work (and no air conditioning in those days) about non arrival due to the hot weather.  ISTR that a TV presenter tried to fry an egg on the pavement - I don't recall whether he succeeded.

Anyway, back tomorrow if I don't melt.  I have a DR appointement at 08.40 then a shift in Oxfam sorting and pricing - and any railway book lovers near Ludlow - we do have quite a few railway books at the moment, and some of them are not the usual rubbish that frequents most charity shops = and quite fairly priced - if anybody wants to visit tomorrow morning, ask for me, and I will root out the stuff at the back for their perusal.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5