The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

On a lighter note 

DDSF training continues 

I apologize for the squeaks.

She really is utterly endearing.

Sadly, after Lucy and Schotty go we’ll be too old for a puppy, but we will get a “senior” dog from a shelter (people mostly go for puppies and younger dogs, so the older dog often gets overlooked – sadly). We can then grow old together…

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Splendid day umpiring yesterday at Escrick Park. A timed game played in good spirit. My colleague tucked in to red wine, beer then port with lunch, then beer with tea.. I had a glass of red on my return home.

My game today is just too far away to walk to.. I will, no doubt, be a bit tired to walk back (my phone pedometer app generally gives me walking 4 miles in a cricket match..Sister Drac was impressed!).

@The Q yes that is a long trip. Despite the Queen of Hearts declaring UDI Scotland roads and the routes to it are pretty poor. I travelled backfroman office in Lossiemouth  via our then office in Aberdeen once.. itseemed to take forever..and it rained allthe way..

Time to..drink my tea and geronwithit!

stay safe!

baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Weather here just as GDB described, whats more the forecasters reckon there's ten more days to come. The fox cubs are sunning themselves in the garden, last night they were making quite a racket, someone had given them a piece of meat and they were fighting over it, well two of them were when the smallest one nicked it from her siblings while they were fighting. Interesting item on the BBC Breakfast about the sport of blokarting, a smaller form of sand yacht. I'm a bit too old for it but I can see my friends lad taking to it.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

Morning all

@Barry O I have done a similar journey Kinloss Aberdeen Home it does seem to take forever especially the last 60 miles from Scotch Corner. I would have used the A9 buy there were snow problems so I had to stick to the coast road A96? Then onto the A1.

@iL Dottore it's a while since I have had a decent cigar I used to buy them in Tenerife/Dominican republic I can't justify the UK cost 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

I must be getting (more) forgetful.  Just realised there is rugby on the box and have  missed New Zealand v Ireland and having seen the result it makes it more annoying.  Aussies v England next and I hope I don't have to suffer the way I did last week.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. I shall shortly be heading off to collect Ava who, once again will be spending the day here with us. I suspect that she’ll continue with her latest sewing project, although this hasn’t been confirmed. As for me, we’ll I'll just sit on the sofa and not get involved, as if I do I’m usually told to stop interfering, so a little bit of retail therapy may get done today! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a warm Charente.  The blonde tornado is due to depart this afternoon butbis currently gaving her left big toe sorted out by nurse Nanna after tripping on a stone step on her way back from getting the chickens up.  They fly this afternoon from La Rochelle.  It's been a fabulous week. Not a lot of spare time now as a play morning has been decreed.

Regards to all.

Jamir

I've never flown from La Rochelle, but often been there to collect or deliver passengers. It's a lovely airport, but the temptation is always to miss the exit from the dual carriageway and head straight for the Île de Ré.

Edited by Welchester
Edited for clarity
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Welchester said:

I've never flown from La Rochelle, but often been there to collect or deliver passengers. It's a lovely airport, but the temptation is always to miss the exit from the dual carriageway and head straight for the Île de Ré.

It's just 60 miles from us and is a lot better drive than the 90 miles to Limoges.  Poitiers is actually a bit nearer and only an hour away but the services there are far fewer.  

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Tess Coes compare their prices to other local outlets and undercut them by up to 2p. They do have a 'floor' below which they will not go however which means that they might only be a penny or less cheaper than other outlets. It sometimes will take a day or too for the price to be adjusted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I must be getting (more) forgetful.  Just realised there is rugby on the box and have  missed New Zealand v Ireland and having seen the result it makes it more annoying. 

Ditto, ditto and ditto

4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Aussies v England next and I hope I don't have to suffer the way I did last week.

Better end result but much the same suffering.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I was ready to go out for a drive at just after 10, with the flask of coffee, sandwiches, biscuits and the all important can of Coke (the real stuff, not low sugar).  It was quite sunny so I decided to head off in the direction of the A696 to Otterburn.  I usually avoid Ponteland by using some single track roads just to the north, I saw about 2 other cars so it was very easy.  On the way I stopped in a lay by on Raylees Common which has good views northwards.  At Otterburn I had a look in the Mill but didn't find anything to buy - as it is summer most things are full price.  There is a new little gift shop which had some rather nice coasters, so they have replaced some faded ones on my coffee table.  Then I headed back east on a minor road to the small village of Elsdon where I had a walk round and took photos, including the Pele Tower and the castle mound.  It's a little bit too remote for me to want to live there but it always looks very nice.

I stopped for lunch in the little car park at Battle Hill, overlooking Elsdon, before driving a short distance east to the top of the hill to look at Winter's Gibbet where William Winter, who lived near Elsdon, was hung in 1791 for murdering a local woman.  Harwood Forest on the north side of the road is still closed due to storm damage.

From there it was a very pleasant drive heading roughly south of east to Bolam Lake where I took advantage of Northumberland's Country Park car parking system where the first hour is free, which was long enough for a short walk.

Even the A696 wasn't busy, once on the more minor roads there were hardly any cars about so it was a lovely drive.  For those who do not know Northumberland it is quite an "empty" county.

I hope no one will mind the photos below.

2077324685_sBSC_6822RayleesCommon.thumb.jpg.cd02c899b4dffe9ac91dac43188b93a6.jpg

The A696 at Raylees Common looking north

1288667922_sBSC_6830Elsdon.thumb.jpg.9522ef5ff19036d73bee2a87c9254250.jpg

Elsdon church

834851067_sCheviotsfromBattleHill.thumb.jpg.13003bef3c7d3a67abdf942c3b558de4.jpg

Cheviots from Battle Hill

1320763134_sWintersgibbetlookingeast.thumb.jpg.e6ec4ad7fce1f85b3a716591f220e8a5.jpg

Winter's Gibbet looking east.  The flag has replaced a carved head wich "disappeared".

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Guess what! I’m watching varnish drying again. After another leaky (and hence discarded) transfer, I have just given my diy set a jolly good soaking this time - 3rd coat.

I shall have to look for another brand of acrylic spray like the last one - this one is gloss. The previous one from an online seller was discontinued (shame because it worked) and replaced with the one I am now using which is not working as well even though it says it is waterproof. It should be now!!!!  🤞

Mugadecaf has been earned methinks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Further investigation of the jigsaw reveals the gear box which converts roundy roundy, to uppy downy, has an 8 toothed cog on the motor output, and a 60 toothed cog on the uppy downy.

60/8=7.5

Max chat on the motor is 20,000rpm

20,000/7.5=3000rpm

Wool spinning you need 1000 - 1500 rpm.

Silk spinning you need up to 3000 rpm.

A bit of electronic control and we're there.

Unfortunately the big cog spun on a fixed 6 mm pin + bearings, = 10mm.

I need the output shaft to spin with the big cog, so the pin has been knocked out. , I await the bearings ( ordered) before drilling out the fixed pins hole to fit a bearing.

The new shaft will be Loctited into the big cog.

Took the advantage of the order, to get the new top and bottom bearings for BMs rudder.

Discovered I have been volunteered to PAT test 15 slow cookers at the sailing club, which have been donated to a charity, to help people not able to afford to run a full cooker.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3