The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

…maybe something small & amusing with an astronomical twist?

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hampshire-news/alexander-observatory-queens-avenue-aldershot-16413479

Now, that’s very do-able. I certainly have the necessary material for a 4mm model and I might have some 7mm stuff left over.

I could build it as a desktop model (I assume that you won’t be insisting on “rivet counter” accuracy and fidelity)

And put it on a wooden plinth when finished

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Would complete with a working telescope be out of the question? 😂

Not in 4mm, although a 7mm model might have some basic movement functions

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Sunny all day, wind increasing all day.

Yeoman nationals on 3 miles away.

A dinghy event on elsewhere.

So numbers down.

Race one,

Started well but in second place, actually caught up the leader, , but when the river turned to provide a broad reach  BM got left behind.

Race two,

Started even better, in first place, took some time  for them to get past.

Once on the reach got left behind again.

Race three,

Some boats stopped racing, wind too strong for them.

So went with a different class, a much faster one, first to start .. just, the next boat only got past by arriving at speed then luffing up to go over the top. Not surprisingly they then left BM behind.

Race 4 

Didn't happen, the remaining boats were either too fragile, or their crews were...

Several comments received on how well BM goes to windward. That makes me very happy as that was a requirement of my design for her.

Need to find time to measure up for the new sails, as I've worked out where everything will go..

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Was due to have a couple of nights away in Lancaster, visiting some open gardens, the A6 car boot, and various other things, including the Littledale Light Railway, which was running as part of the open gardens.  However, our visit was interrupted by a thunderstorm and torrential rain, and afterwards the train needed rear end assistance to get up the gradient to the front of the house, in the form of the owner giving the whole thing a good shove. 

The forecast for today was not good, and the A6 took about half an hour as there were only about 20 standing, again due to the forecast, so we decided to get Lily out of kennels and head for home, which we did, then managed to get stuck behind an accident on the M6 - luckily it only cost us about 20 minutes as we left at J20.

Anyway, there's a few images on the Littledale Light Railway thread in Garden Railways, and here's one to be going on with.

Regards to All

Stewart

IMG_0889.JPG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Just had a pleasant couple of hours as Abbie & her boyfriend James made a surprise visit.  Won't be seeing her for a while as she's taking a sabbatical from her proper day job next week and going to work in Crete for about 10 weeks.  She's got some friends working out there and decided to give it a go.  Why not? You're only young once. 

Now supping Timothy Taylor Landlord and The Boss is whipping up a light meal of Scampi & Chips.  Yet another bottle of red wine is awaiting attention,  it's a Shiraz Cabernet tonight.  🍷🍷

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The Rochester Recruiting Sergeant (pre-1964 for sure)

Yes and no!  The words which so many of us know and love are credited on the album sleeve to Pete Coe circa 1970 "after traditional models".  It is undoubtedly the case that the traditional models are pre-1964 and originate much closer to the reign of Queen Anne [1702 -1714].  Tell you what: next time I see Pete Coe I will ask him.  I am grateful to Q for posting the Strawhead track.  It must be getting on for 10 years now since the band retired from live performance and I miss them almost to the point of bereavement.

Chris

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a good morning at the toy fair but I can't mention some of my purchases here. I went to do a bit of eyelid inspection after lunch but when I woke up Si Attica jumped in. Nurofen has been deployed and is just taking effect. However that means that the garden has to be ignored for now.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Was due to have a couple of nights away in Lancaster, visiting some open gardens, the A6 car boot, and various other things, including the Littledale Light Railway, which was running as part of the open gardens.  However, our visit was interrupted by a thunderstorm and torrential rain, and afterwards the train needed rear end assistance to get up the gradient to the front of the house, in the form of the owner giving the whole thing a good shove. 

The forecast for today was not good, and the A6 took about half an hour as there were only about 20 standing, again due to the forecast, so we decided to get Lily out of kennels and head for home, which we did, then managed to get stuck behind an accident on the M6 - luckily it only cost us about 20 minutes as we left at J20.

Anyway, there's a few images on the Littledale Light Railway thread in Garden Railways, and here's one to be going on with.

Regards to All

Stewart

IMG_0889.JPG

That railway looks rather interesting 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

9 hours ago, chrisf said:

As an occasional singer of folk songs I find that nearly all of my repertoire dates from before 1964.  For me it's not a problem!

Chris

My organ repertoire is of the same period, 30's, swing, vocal pops, etc until about 1955 when it stops along with the emergence of rock 'n roll and whatever.  Can do Beatles, shows and other contemporary music but nothing rappish - not my style!😠

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

The wind has moderated over the day. Bees have been able to land on and feed from flowers which blew away from beneath them earlier. Much attention has been paid to the gardens in terms of feeding, watering, weeding and dead-heading. 

Dr. SWMBO has busied herself tidying her room which somehow required the emptying of both wardrobes before my assistance was demanded to help sort and re-pack them.  

After a fairly full day we both acknowledge that stuff has been achieved both indoors and out. 

Tomorrow sees me head south for appointments across Sussex including lunch at my sister’s. And, of course a large and well-known retailer of useful items who business name begins with G 🤫

It makes a nice change to reach this time of the weekend and neither be pressing uniform nor watching the clock for bed-time. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2022 at 18:26, iL Dottore said:

I certainly have been contemplating making my own lighting rig. The three ICAO mandated fixed navigation lights (red = port, green = starboard, rear = white) are not the problem; the problem are the Beacon (Anti-Collision) Lights) on the roof and the belly of the aircraft (these are red and flash simultaneously [in the old days these were actually rotating beacons]) and the strobe (white Anti-Collison) lights on the wingtips - these double-flash every 1.5 seconds (the effect that I want) but alternate with the anti-collision beacon flashes. Other lights - taxi lights, take off lights, cabin lights are pretty straightforward.

For me, the problem is coming up with a little control system (circuit?) that would double flash the white anticollision strobes every 1.5 secs (40 cycles/second alternating with the red anti-collision beacons, be able to turn on/off the other lights and be small enough to fit into the model’s fuselage with only wiring for power and control exiting the  Aircraft (I did see one system, available in America,  where everything was wired to a circuit board and it was controlled by an app with the battery for the system being enclosed in the model and recharged by induction charging – but that’s definitely above my pay grade)

Excuse the poor quality of the video and the fact that the red doesn't seem very red (at least to me!) and the timing is only crude but .....

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

4 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Excuse the poor quality of the video and the fact that the red doesn't seem very red (at least to me!) and the timing is only crude but .....

I take it this was 'send three and six pence we're going to a dance'

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

7 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

A'noon all. Scorchio is the motto of the day and I don't like that one bit!

Indeed so - here too. At 3:30pm the temperature is 36°C and still rising.

I turned the irrigation on yesterday. (This is set for alternating days to run at midnight. It did turn on last night.) We usually joke that we can expect to see rain through July 5th but we might not see rain again until September.

Today would be a good day to scrub the patio furniture in the shade. I'm trying to convince myself. Tomorrow will be slightly less hot, but still hot enough.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather has been very kind to me today, as it didn’t rain, but that wind was fairly strong, I’ve had to tie some supports to quite a few of our tall plants, as they ran the risk of being blown over if not. The last of the young hollyhocks have been planted out now, as I was doing so, I spotted a few that I think must have grown from the handful of spare seeds that I scattered about last year. These will not flower this year, but if they grow enough this year, hopefully they should do so next year, but I guess only time will tell. Other than that, there’s not a lot else happened here today. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  The grass might even dry out today.  2 more jobs got crossed off the checklist yesterday.  Why it matters if the frame of the swing is white or brown, I know not but mine is not to reason why.  It's now brown.  I'm not sure what will be my tasks for the day but I am sure that daily orders will be posted at some point.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Free tickets obtained for the last day of the Test Match today. Good!

Weather forecast.. bad... fingers crossed the team can get back on this afternoon and win.

Not rushing to do breakfast today.. I do have other items on the todo list.. but they have to wait.

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

3 hours asleep upstairs, 4 hours in several pieces on the somewhat cooler sofa downstairs.

Ben the Hot Collie spent most of the night asleep at the bottom of the stairs where the cool air descends.

image.png.f60cc03b89516ad5a0feb94e01390d9a.png

This picture I've seen elsewhere, not a good name for a Yacht..

" Mayday Mayday, this is yacht No Problem""....

I've also seen a racing dinghy with the name " This way Down" which was painted on the bottom of the boat both inside and out. Also painted on the stern with an arrow pointing to the bottom..

Rough sketches of the E spinner are being progressed, at the moment it looks like a Border Collie lying down, holding the bearing in it's mouth, with another one holding the other bearing. the body between hiding the motor, controller and transformer.

Maybe the tail position altering the control Knob...😀

The £600 commercial E spinner..

products-ashford-e-spinner-3-dimensions.jpg.e045f5e720d114aa471bf356309c1f87.jpg

waiting for the First system of the week to become available..

Time to prepare a spreadsheet.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2