The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

…Tonight, I made a curry I haven’t made before, an Indonesian rendang and very nice it was too, I’ll definitely be making that one again….

I thought that a rendang was a Malaysian dish, but no matter it is still excellent. From what I have learnt from trying to find the best possible recipe is that the dish originally evolved as a way to make very tough meat edible and to cook it in such a way that it would keep for a while in a hot climate. Unfortunately, despite trying many different recipes, I have yet to duplicate the taste and texture of the rendangs I ate many times in Malaysia.

Did you use beef or goat? (I also vaguely remember a recipe for chicken rendang). I think part of the problem is that the meat we get in Western Europe is too tender for the long and slow cooking a proper rendang demands (one “authentic“ recipe I read required the dish to cook pretty much all day) . I’m fairly certain that if I could find some meat from an old water buffalo I would get closer to the original dish. From what little I know about Southeast Asian animal husbandry it seems that the animals lead much more “natural“ lives than food animals in the west – which means the muscles get much more of a workout and thus can be tough if not cooked properly.

However, one thing I did discover that brought me a little bit closer to a perfect rendang is to cut the meat into very large chunks – larger chunks than you would normally use as western European meat will shrink quite a bit when cooked in the manner of a rendang.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. 

6 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Hand is OK and feeling seems to have retuned to the tips of all fingers now and I can use thumb and index finger to gently grip things which has made a big difference.  Almost had a mishap last night though as I took the sling off while sitting in my armchair as it was hot and uncomfortable and forgot and put my hand on the arm of the chair to stand up.  I felt that and won't be doing it again in a hurry!

Bob.

I have to be careful as one wrong move and Si Attica will jump in with both feet. I did manage to avoid him this morning. I felt a twinge so I stopped the manoeuvre and carefully moved my leg another way. Off to the toy fair shortly, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

... problem is when you know the words from a song from1964....

As an occasional singer of folk songs I find that nearly all of my repertoire dates from before 1964.  For me it's not a problem!

Chris

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all and a very bright but blowy one it is too.    

I had thought that a short bimble on the AJ might have been on the cards but I'll save that for a day not so suitable for kite flying.

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Thank goodness I know the way to Stevenage.

More importantly, I know all of the ways out of it 🤣

Those "Stevenage Tourist Attractions" signs always used to make me chuckle - well, I needed something to  smile about going to work on a Monday morning 😀

I've been messing about with the telescope camera trigger system again this morning.   Whilst still very much a "working prototype" I can at least use it now with any (integer) exposure durations between 1 and 120 seconds without resorting to reprogramming it which is much to much of a faff when you are stuck in the dark in the garden at midnight!   Unfortunately when trying a lashed-up mode changing switch I accidentally shorted a line on the Arduino Nano to ground that shouldn't be shorted to ground when a wire slipped .....  After which the (brand spanking new 😡) Nano got the right 'ump and refused to communicate over the USB connection ever again.   PAH!,   PAH!  and thrice PAH!

Anyway, it's been replaced now.   Whilst speaking of telescopes and the like I've been toying with the idea of adding a digital position readouts to both moveable axes of the mount. The mount is supplied with two dials and pointers to indicate position but it is generally accepted that on budget telescopes these are mere ornaments as they lack the necessary accuracy and precision by a couple of orders of magnitude to actually be used to locate invisible objects.    To that end I bought an optical rotary encoder (with ball race mounted shaft and very low torque to turn it) from the great American River Company that seemed to be good value at ~£18.   I've given it a quick go with yet more lashed up Arduino code and it seems to work very nicely - I'd better buy a second one for the second axis then.  Oh yes, and perhaps another pair for my mates telescope!   

Now I had a very cunning plan and that was to insert a small rare earth magnet into the end of the shaft that it will be measuring the position of and to use the magnet as the drive to the encoder.   I'd previously removed the shaft from the mount and bored a suitable hole in the end but then came unstuck because it turns out that the encoder shaft is made from a high quality stainless steel.  And we all know such stainless steel is non-magnetic ...... Turdycurses!    Oh well, I'll just have to adapt the plan.   It doesn't matter too much as the "direct drive" version was to be temporary as a geared-up version will ultimately be required to get the degree of resolution necessary to find those pesky, small and invisible objects.   For which I will need a high precision, zero backlash and cheap (not much of a challenge then) epicyclic gear box.     Never mind, I have a second cunning plan that might involve open caged ball races .....

Here's the very nicely made encoder and the end of the shaft that will drive it.

RAEncoder.JPG.2927041a2a858236182e99703a6e989e.JPG

72687497_RASpindle.JPG.69ed0ccfb9ab60357b604f313adff108.JPG

On to aeronautical matters ....

@iL Dottore your lighting problem sounds like an Arduino project to me.     What's the full spec (number of lights, colour, solid or flash (& rate), space available in the fuselage for boards and batteries etc?

TTFNQ

Alan

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, PupCam said:

On to aeronautical matters ....

@iL Dottore your lighting problem sounds like an Arduino project to me.     What's the full spec (number of lights, colour, solid or flash (& rate), space available in the fuselage for boards and batteries etc?

TTFNQ

Alan

Oooh! I foresee a bespoke building in a certain Pupper’s future 😁 Anything of particular interest/desire, Alan?

Let me have a look at the model(s) this afternoon and I’ll see what the dimensions are. I’ll see what sort of space there’ll be with and without interior.  I’ll pm you in the next 24 hrs.

iD

* for some reason, I ended up with a 1/48 scale Bell UH 1D Huey. Rather than finish the model as a US army Vietnam era chopper, I’m thinking of finishing it as either a corporate aircraft or – something more amusing – as the flying K9 unit of Captain Cynical Industries GmbH’s security services 😱

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. I then went straight outside and made a start on some gardening, where its a bit blowy, the trees are making a fair bit of noise with the wind rustling through the leaves. 

Today I've been repotting some rosemary and mint, with fresh compost with added grit. I'm currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having a well earned muggertea, before carrying on. 

Id, I used chicken in last night's curry, as chicken is our preferred meat for curry dishes. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

those nice people at Naked Wines

Does that mean it arrives without a bottle? Or just without its label? 🤣

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Anything of particular interest/desire, Alan?

How are you at building working, reliable BSA B21 engines ? 🤣

As I'm unlikely to be building a model railway anytime soon, maybe something small & amusing with an astronomical twist?

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hampshire-news/alexander-observatory-queens-avenue-aldershot-16413479

Would complete with a working telescope be out of the question? 😂

Anyway, lets get the lights sorted first!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Thank goodness I know the way to Stevenage.

More importantly, I know all of the ways out of it

I reckon I could still find my way. Haven’t been there in 40 years or more but I still have a good memory of the ways in and out. 

303/303A : Hitchin - Potters Bar

384 and 390 : Stevenage - Hertford by quite different routes 

386 : Infrequent around-the-villages route on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays only to Buntingford then on to Hertford on Tuesday or Bishops Stortford on Friday or both on Saturday. 
716 : Hitchin - Chertsey Green Line coach

716A : mostly Welwyn Garden City but sometimes Stevenage - Woking Green Line coach. 

Apart from the different ways through WGC and Hatfield which always confused me, and some altered road patters today, I reckon I could still drive any of those. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

As an occasional singer of folk songs I find that nearly all of my repertoire dates from before 1964.  For me it's not a problem!

Chris

We were contemplating something similar this morning. A gathering of voices and ukuleles is scheduled for Friday evening. The repertoire is to include (among other things)

Greensleeves (definitely pre-1964)

John Barleycorn (older than is sometimes thought and definitely pre-1964)

Deep Water (one of Dr. SWMBO’s original pieces)

The Rochester Recruiting Sergeant (pre-1964 for sure)

Long Lankin (again much older than the popularly-known Steeleye Span version)

Plus what ever else we feel like, really. 

The Lost Pirates of Withiel shall gather in rural Somerset hopefully far enough from any neighbours to avoid nuisance! 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1