The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Well, yet again, mucho skipping and the usual apologies and greetings - Happy Anniversary Baz and Mrs.

Well today was paint the front door day - and then two items that I have had on Ebay for weeks went with a "best offer" so I had to pack a mobile phone and some wallpaper and take them to their various places of despatch - to find that the Post Office was closed due to staff shortage - ah well there's always tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

We have been out all day so a belated happy anniversary greeting to Mr and Mrs O.

We went to Anglesey Abbey which is near Cambridge and Newmarket rather than Wales. We met some old friends who live near Grantham, so it was a good in between place. 

The threatened afternoon rain held off until we arrived home. 

Tony

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I can see that @simontaylor484 is going to be putty in a certain little dog's paws...

pebbles.jpg.f556faa377663d4e2db7f6e3acfb9eaf.jpg

That is one adorable little girl.

I'd steal her into the extended Wolfpack any day!

Going to be?? It's already started and then there is belly rubbing services to provide to Rolo.

Pebbles and Rolo are both members of the Double Dachshund Security Force but would accept associate membership of the Wolfpack

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

21 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

At the time of the photo she was recieving feedback from 'her staff' hence the rather 'bored' expression.

I get the impression, from having quite a few female canines amongst my doggy acquaintances, that they are a mixture of elegant sophistication (sometimes) and being permanently in a mid-adolescent mindset (mostly).

Amongst the many teenage behaviours you will see include 

• Selective hearing
  • Coming “eventually” when called.
  • Turning their sleeping quarters into a tip
  • Turning their nose up against at healthy food (nutritionally balanced, Vet approved, dogfood) whilst scoffing down junk food (dog treats)

And whilst it is true that dogs don’t have smart phones (yet – although there are some dog friendly smart phone apps for various things), they do spend an inordinate time out on walks reading and writing their “wee mails”

But at least they’ll never run away with a tattooed ne’er-do-well from Croydon because you’ve taken away their TV privileges

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Could any of our US correspondents on ER clarify why shipping from the US to Europe is so bloody expensive? It doesn’t seem to be that expensive to do it the other way round (Europe —-> US).

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

@iL Dottore  Postage to and from  the USA is not cheap. There are ways of dodging some of the costs as Another ER and I have in the past.

In my experience, parcel postage with Royal Mail to the US and USPS overseas package rates (mostly to Australia for me) are quite expensive. Rates can depend on size. I hit an inflexion point posting to my niece and nephew when a lightweight (but modestly large package) tripped a dimension threshold and the price when up dramatically.

I recall, many years ago, posting myself a box of durable goodies acquired during a trip to the UK, and being staggered by the postage.

Royal Mail is reaching the point where a mail-order retailer almost charges more for the postage than a 00 wagon (and that's with the current prices of such items).

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Let me know the approximate size/shape/weight and I'll check, presumably you'd want registered service? I'd be happy to help out, other ERs have done so for me in the 'reverse" direction 🙂

I imagine that very high volume vendors get special rates from USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not long got back from a SEERS committee meeting. Next year is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the organisation. As far as we know there is no founding member still alive but some old photographs were passed around and we were asked to identify some of those in the photographs. I identified a couple of those present in a 1971 photograph, some hadn't changed much in fifty years apart from the wrinkles and grey hair.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Let me know the approximate size/shape/weight and I'll check, presumably you'd want registered service? I'd be happy to help out, other ERs have done so for me in the 'reverse" direction 🙂

Thanks for the offer of help, Ian.

Unfortunately, at the moment I have no idea as to size and weight (But I will see what I can find out and let you know). Presumably the outrageous shipping costs are due to the merchant charging for his time and the packing materials as well as the postage (though I have received parcels where the franked posted on the parcel and the quality of the packing [box and packing padding/protection] was but a fraction of what I was charged for for “postage and packing“)

I would assume, based on the fact that on many of my Amazon orders I don’t pay any shipping costs – even from things sent directly from China (where basically everything available on Amazon comes from nowadays), that once you become a suitably large user of postal/courier services – like UPS, you go to the post or courier and say we will pay you £X/year and you will ship anything we send you during that time. The shipping costs, presumably, are hidden within the pricing of the item being “sent free“

it would be logical to conclude that small and medium retailers don’t have that sort of negotiating power with postal services and courier services

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On reminisces by @monkeysarefun and @Gwiwer on Sydney suburban coaching stock:

I have a very limited experience of Sydney suburban stock, though did ride the electric stock in the early 1970s from the inner western suburbs. Regarding Brisbane suburban stock I have a depth of recollection, particularly during my University days which spanned three generations of stock.

I fondly remember the Evans (BU and BUV) suburban stock. These were Edwardian designs from 1910 and little changed through 1953. They operated in suburban service well into the 1980s. They were wooden, non-corridor, vacuum fitted stock, with chain and screw coupling and sprung buffers. Watching the coupling ripple from front to back on a starting train was always entertaining.

Early versions had toplights* and drop light windows and shades and originally were gaslit, though by the time I rode them lighting was provided by a DC generator and a battery box. A clunky relay would switch the lighting from generator** to battery and lights were noticeably dimmer on the batteries.

* Mostly plated over by the time I rode them.

** When the voltage dropped at low speed.

Inevitably the windows were mostly left open (necessary to open the door, since the only handle was on the outside) - and the interiors would be wet if there was any rain while the car was unoccupied. Opening the door was an artform - drop the window without losing your fingers, lean out of the window opening without being decapitated by station furniture like signal stanchions, turn the handle and hip-check the door to swing it open, then climb down***.

*** Until electrification, platforms (while still above ground level) were low level. 

They were utterly unsuited for people with mobility issues.

The seating (benches athwartships) were leather covered, sprung and horsehair stuffed and were bouncy and not uncomfortable. By the time I rode them most of the leather had been replaced by a more durable synthetic and were much less comfortable.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

A day which has been sunny, warm, wet, cool, sultry, sunny, fresh and then cloudy is finally ending with a last flourish of sunlight. 

If you were to rise very very early you might be able to witness a rare alignment of five planets, plus our moon, in the sky at around 4am. Any later and the dawning day will wash out the night sky. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61910977

And whilst on the subject of heavenly bodies let me leave you with this thought. 90%  of us will endure micro-organisms having sex on our faces as we sleep. 

"In the night, whilst we're in a deep sleep, they visit the pores to have sex and have babies," Dr Perotti says.

Yes, these creatures are using our pores like the Love Island hideaway. Nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61894186 

And with that thought it’s Goodnight from Me and it’s Goodnight from Him. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

90%  of us will endure micro-organisms having sex on our faces as we sleep. 

As I understand it, much of the "dust" in our homes is formed of their corpses (exoskeletons I presume) along with our dead skin cells.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3