The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a dull rock that promises 20c later, not far off that now in the garden.  Looks like 2 though, very overcast.

Archery round this evening, preceded by a chippy tea with a couple of the other archers, it'll be interesting to see if Mrs H's devastating form continues, she predicts not!  The glens are getting very overgrown now, it is a Dr Livingstone moment frequently if another group is shooting.  Whistles to the fore to warn of shooting if others are present, getting shot by one of these things could well be fatal.

Not sure what the day will bring other than shopping this morning for food supplies, 

A man of leisure then?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The foxes are well and truly back, the cubs 'toys' are again strewn around the garden. The little one is still the boss (in the absence of mum).

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh, I don’t know. Lucy has been pretty good at getting me to do what she wants (she has less success in that regards with Mrs iD). She’s even managed to train Schotty to retrieve her balls when she can’t be bothered to do so.

7344EA58-90F2-4908-88DD-C73C366DABD8.jpeg.38df160bb68abf0979d204dcb0b871af.jpeg
Lucy expressing, as she frequently does, aristocratic disdain for my feeble efforts (at something or other).

I reckon that if Lucy were human she’d be the sort of sultry redhead that would break hearts and break up marriages whilst manipulating everyone around her so that she ends up being pampered, showered with expensive gifts and living a life of sybaritic luxury.

I suppose I should be grateful that the price of having such a “high maintenance female“ in my life is merely the cost of numerous bags of “high value“ dog treats (“high value“ in dog trainer terms means those sort of treats, such as frankfurters and strips of duck breast, the dogs really, really go mad over and thus are used to reward good behaviours and obedience)

And I wouldn’t have it otherwise – I love her to bits!

You forgot one important detail, Lucy is female. They learn at their mothers knee that males are there to be manipulated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The foxes are well and truly back, the cubs 'toys' are again strewn around the garden. The little one is still the boss (in the absence of mum).

You forgot one important detail, Lucy is female. They learn at their mothers knee that males are there to be manipulated.

Indeed, but (and it’s a BIG but) of the four lady dogs* in my life: Lucy, Frida, Carina and Eileen, only Lucy has me at her beck and call. The other three - although in receipt of generous amounts of ear scratches, tummy rubs and treats - aren’t able to manipulate me like Lucy does…

More than once has Lucy awoken me at 3 a.m. - not because she needs a widdle (although she wakes me up for that as well - she’s a clever girl)  but because she’s heard a suspicious noise in “her” garden and absolutely, positively, must investigate immediately!

It might actually be easier to have a cat: if a cat were to wake me up at 3 am in the morning, I could simply say “you know where the litter box is, you know where the catflap is, now eff off and let me sleep!“  and turn over. (Slaves-of-Cats may disagree).

iD

*I’d say b1tches [hundinnen] but this correct term has been debased

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

@Gwiwer and All. Learning any music or instrument is a world unto itself! 

I was 9 when I had my first piano lesson. Up till then I could only play "chopsticks" I learnt from friends. Free lessons from primary school music teacher who pushed me through Grade 1 and 2 Examinations. I transferred to a private teacher, recommended by a friend. I was playing grade 7 scales by the time I was 14 but I reckon I was nowhere near playing at that level. One such piece was "The harmonious blacksmith" by Handel. I loved it but it was far too difficult in so many places, and I barely managed a 3-note trill, let alone the 5 to 7-note trills printed on the score.  Listening to the video (below) and watching the pianist, I can see how it should be played! I never had such luxury of hearing such music back then. I may have heard it once or twice on the radio afterwards...no Youtube and such like, of course, and recordings were several weeks/months worth of pocket money.  Now, watching it, I am thinking if only I had been given exercises similar to the ones I have been learning over the last 7 months on the flute, I may have made a better piano player.  Yes, we had scales and arpeggios (scales built on a chord) but they only went straight up and straight down. 

For instance, 2 octaves C major: CDEFGAB-CDEFGAB-C and C E G-C E G-C.

If I convert one of the exercises I play now (one octave) to C major I can see how much more dexterity is required when thought of in piano terms, or even playing guitar runs:

Up: CE CEF CEFG CEFGA CEFGAB CEFGABC (do re_do re mi_ do re mi fa, etc)

Down: CB CBA CBAG CBAGF CBAGFE CBAGFED CBAGFEDC (Do ti_Do ti la_Do ti la so, etc)

These to be played at 3 speeds (1 beat, half beat, quarter beat). Eventually even faster!

And for twists and turns, the same pattern going up the scale (and down again).

CDE FED EDC (do re mi_fa mi re_mi re do)

DEF GFE FED (re mi fa_so fa mi_fa mi re)

EFG AGF GFE (mi fa so_la so fa_so fa mi) ETC

And many more with varying degrees of complexity.

Guitar Chord progressions

Basic I IV V I (Chord 1,4, 5, 1) Three chord progression. 

D major: D G A D // D G A7 D

G major: G C D G // G C D7 G

Common ending (Cadence) : II V I (2, 5, 1)

D major: E minor A7 D

G major: A minor D7 G

Interupted cadence:  V  VI (It feels like it wants to carry on so it could be found at the end of a verse leading to a refrain, for instance)

D major: A7 B minor

G major: D7 E minor

One chord can continue over several bars or lines of words, etc before changing to the next, or there may be several chord changes between bars.

Music notation. Yes, I learnt how to read music.

But many guitarists do not.  They rely on the name of the chord D, Em A7 etc being given on the music sheet (me included).

As I said above, music is a world unto itself. It was playing guitar using chord names, that made it easier for me to learn the Indian flute as the music is written down in the alphabet and bar lines, accompanied by some punctuation (, ;).  And Liquorice Alsorts of rhythms - my starting level using 4+2+2 beats per cycle. All fun and games!  I am picking it up.  Hopefully, those like me who struggle to make a bit of music will have some encouragement from my bit of drivel.

When I watch this I just laugh with amazement that my music teacher ever thought to give it to me to play!

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello again. I've just looked out into the garden, the foxes are nowhere to be seen but there's plenty of evidence of their presence. Last night I saw the vixen disappearing into the shrubbery with something in her mouth. This morning  there was the dismembered remains of a pigeon on the patio. No doubt the two instances are connected.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Y'know, we had healthy, educational hobbies back in the 50's and 60's - like making models:

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/aurora-vintage-model-kits-c-271_285/giant-gallows-aurora-model-assembly-hobby-kit-p-1674.html

So much kinder than Twitter or TikTok...

I do hope they make an N gauge version 

I am having trouble rating posts at the moment i keep getting the Sorry there is a problem message.

Rolo the dachshund is very protective of "HIS garden" woe betide any bird that tries to land there it gets chased away  here he I'd in full guard mode whole I do a bit of tidying up16559849811282271686177005329703.thumb.jpg.6b02276c3efd64ef8b30f89f443146ad.jpg

• Like 19

O have been raking dead thatch out of the grass as can be seen on the photo of Rolo to the top left of his head. It's hard work this weather and the soil underneath is like bell metal I need to get it prepped for the next phase of overseeding once the last patch has grown sufficiently

I dont usually water grass but the overseeded area gets a wet with grey water from washing up,like the other plants in tubs. I hate using potable water straight out of the tap for plant watering when there are folks in the world with not enough to drink. Also we are on a water meter.

I can't have a water butt because the fall pipes are next door on either side. Pah happen @Barry O could put some of that flood water in a box and post it to me 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary to Baz and Mrs Baz 

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ah the Tullochs.

Them's the ones!  And that is how I remember them - painted grim grey to approximate to the stainless steel finish of the younger cars they were then running with. They had originally been what I think was called Indian Red with a golden-yellow waistband as a NSW Government Railways livery.  Yes you can see how tiny those windows are especially upstairs; compare with the more recent car behind just in shot though even those were far more metal than glass.  Ghostly, heavy, hot and noisy.  No wonder Aussies arriving in London are so enthusiastic about our train with ironing boards where the seats should be - look what they have had to put up with!  

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Flavio mentioned sultry redheads.  Been there, tried to do it, failed miserably.

Ditto.  Although I expect the sultry redheads I was attempting to liaise with might not have been Chris's first choice!  There have been a few but nothing much ever came of any of them in terms of lasting partnerships.  Despite a goodly number of years happily married were a sultry redhead of the appropriate size and shape and with the added bonus of a good West Country accent to present herself there might still be a flicker of interest 🥰

• Like 14
  • Funny 1