The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A fine evening. 

84780774-6220-4866-AEA2-314E347E8155.jpeg.15c06aff844de5ef0d34e192880b1bb3.jpeg

11 minutes ago, BoD said:

Goodness the blackberries are ripening. It must be Autumn.

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Wow, those berries are well developed. With our cool damp Spring, the wild (and invasive) Himalayan Blackberries here are still in bloom. Ripened berries are a long way off.

The solstice has brought with it warm weather as forecast. Today is delightful. After weeks under 20°C some time around 25°C would be nice, but we are forecast to shoot right into the mid-30°Cs by the weekend.

Yet the British Isles are further north than most of the continental USA (New England and Alaska excepted).

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Happen he is in the Co-op searching for invisible oven chips or managed to fasten himself to the wall in a bizarre dado rail accident 

All joking aside I do hope he is ok

His last post was congratulating himself on killing a "massive" spider. But spiders are masters at playing possum, curling up their legs and pretending to be dead until the danger passes. Funnel webs for instance can be lying at the bottom of your pool for a week, you fish it out thinking it's shuffled off it's perch and it springs to life and goes you.

I reckon in the bears case, it lay in the bin until dark then went for payback.

Bears probably wrapped up like a mummy in a web under his stairs by now.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

His last post was congratulating himself on killing a "massive" spider. But spiders are masters at playing possum, curling up their legs and pretending to be dead until the danger passes. Funnel webs for instance can be lying at the bottom of your pool for a week, you fish it out thinking it's shuffled off it's perch and it springs to life and goes you.

I reckon in the bears case, it lay in the bin until dark then went for payback.

Bears probably wrapped up like a mummy in a web under his stairs by now.

image.png.717073c4b3a6069a5156cc225d7da9d1.png

• Funny 14

WHAT HAPPENED TO POLYBEAR?

1) He had a fatal encounter with a monstrous, irradiated, poisonous spider?

2) He was reaching for the 50% off cake at the bottom of a heavily laden supermarket shelf and it fell on him?

3) He was mercilessly cut down by Russian machine gun fire whilst trying to protect Ukrainian LDC?

4) He ordered two portions of Tom Kerridge’s triple cooked chips and had a stroke when the bill came?

5) An oven full of oven-cooked chips exploded as he was taking them out?

But whatever has happened to @polybear IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CAPTAIN CYNICAL!

CC wants PB alive! An ex-Bear is no fun whatsoever

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/06/2022 at 18:54, polybear said:

In other news.....

Bear switched to Eeyore Mode this afternoon.  Dunno why, but Tigger Bounce has cleared off and the gloom set in.  Turdycurses.

Surely this  explains he absence.

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve managed to do all that I wanted to get done in the garden. The ladders were deployed and the weeds removed from the outrigger’s guttering. As I suspect, there were a lot of sycamore seeds that had gathered behind a small piece of rubble, no doubt from when next doors roof was done last year. These had given a handful of weeds a chance to grow, which the did with seemingly great ease! I then planted out the 6 scabious plants we bought last week. These have been dotted randomly amongst the other plants, a effect that Sheila is very happy with. I then spent the afternoon in the workshop, as I deemed it too hot to be doing any working outside. 

JSB. I’ll post an edited version example of my wiring schedule sheets tomorrow. This will show one line from each of the 4 sheets, so the operating process for one point, complete with feed back. Doin*bit this way should make it much easier to follow, as I think 4 full sheets, each with 32 lines might be a bit too much. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

... the British Isles are further north than most of the continental USA (New England and Alaska excepted).

Not even New England. The latitude of Pohenegamook, (at the very top end of) Maine is 47.46°N, whereas the Lizard is 49.96°N.

The western half(?) of the US / Canada border is at 49°N.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The western half(?) of the US / Canada border is at 49°N.

The distance west from Lake of the Woods, along the 49th parallel to the Strait of Georgia is almost exactly the same as the distance east from the Lake of the Woods to Grand Manan. However, the border in the west extends further, through the Gulf Islands and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. In the Strait, it dips as far south as 48 degrees 22 minutes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

50 minutes ago, pH said:

The distance west from Lake of the Woods, along the 49th parallel to the Strait of Georgia is almost exactly the same as the distance east from the Lake of the Woods to Grand Manan.

That felt about right. (I was guessing.)

50 minutes ago, pH said:

However, the border in the west extends further, through the Gulf Islands and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

I wasn't counting the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Vancouver Island (aka La Isla de Quadra y Vancouver).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13