The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

@Gwiwer If there is no alternative to leaving the car parked in the sun I cover the steering wheel with a cloth, preferably white or a light colour. This stops the wheel from getting too hot to touch.

Reflective covers are good too. 

In other news we are accustomed to seeing large numbers of parakeets at the House of Fun these days but reports of a “baby parrot on the platform” produced this unexpected sight. 

3A4A72D5-3EFF-4C43-A067-BC9116B486EE.thumb.jpeg.84d79c130ca977518ed168c93e900c5f.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Puppers is always amazed at how many empty or abandoned buildings seem to be able to spontaneously combust with no obvious fuel or ignition sources.

A local pub dating from c1840 closed and was  being assessed for listing.  It was bought by a developer who put in an application to improve it and re-open.  Yeah, right.  Scaffolding went up, the local teenage arsonist (presumably, I knew him as he assaulted my stepson at primary school and I was a witness for  a previous arson offence} did the biz, and an application for redevelopment went in with indecent haste.  I'm not suggesting the boy was hired or anything, he was presented with an opportunity.  He was a seriously disturbed boy who took to a life of crime and committed suicide in Parkhurst.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news we are accustomed to seeing large numbers of parakeets at the House of Fun these days but reports of a “baby parrot on the platform” produced this unexpected sight. 

3A4A72D5-3EFF-4C43-A067-BC9116B486EE.thumb.jpeg.84d79c130ca977518ed168c93e900c5f.jpeg

With all the rain we've had the wildlife has gone nuts (certainly seeing greater numbers of roadkill wombats on my way to work which is sad) and apparently there's bumper budgie flocks in the outback. 

This was in the Guardian a couple of days ago, thats a dead tree, all the leaves are budgies.

image.thumb.png.baff434e191083f611b39aa526e59a0b.png

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

It’s been a very quite day, of doing not a lot.

Goodnight all 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I miss budgies.

31 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was in the Guardian a couple of days ago, thats a dead tree, all the leaves are budgies.

But not that much. 😉

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

In Saudi we put ... a silver reflective roll up panel on the inside of the windscreen when parked.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Popular essential equipment in Arizona. 45°C in Phoenix today and summer has barely begun.

18°C and raining here. Groceries got a little wet getting them to the car.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

18°C and raining here. Groceries got a little wet getting them to the car.

Apparently, yesterday was the wettest single June day at the Vancouver airport in 30 years. By yesterday evening (the 9th), we’d had more rain already in the month than the average for all of June.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

51 minutes ago, pH said:

... yesterday was the wettest single June day at the Vancouver airport in 30 years

This latest La Niña "atmospheric river" is supposed to move south tonight and be directed at the central Oregon coast tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This latest La Niña "atmospheric river" is supposed to move south tonight and be directed at the central Oregon coast tomorrow.

There's some computer models that are predicting a rare "triple La Nina" which will extend our wet weather through into 2023 due to  Barry O's  planned visit.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm off to Bristol today for the AGM of the Scalefour Society.  Rather than clutter up the M4 I shall take a pleasant route through the Cotswolds once I have girded my loins and put petrol in the car.  It is a while since I last did that and I expect to shudder when I find how much the price has risen.  The car will enjoy a decent run for a change.  Finding a half decent breakfast could be interesting though.

Chris

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

02:50, a very hot and bothered Ben, the I want out Collie appeared. On going down stairs and opening the door he went hurtling down to garden to make a deposit..

When he came in he was very unsettled, he kept changing position, from SWMBO's chair to his bed to hall way to, his cage and repeat.

After that, very little sleep and then SWMBO turned up at o5:00 thinking it was 06:00, which got Ben very excited and I had to take him out again...

He's now cuddled up alongside me...

Shortly I'll be making breakfast for 3, then later, after SWMBO departs for Woolly Worstead, https://www.worsteadweavers.org.uk/woolly-weekend I'll be brownie point scoring. Namely assembling a rack for SWMBO'S reels of wool from parts I cut a week ago..

After that the grass needs cutting again....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

8 hours ago, polybear said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.................😭

In other news.....

Bear is currently watching "Jumpin' Jack Flash" with Whoopi G - jeez, that was made in 1986.

Tell me about it. Makes you feel very old doesn't it.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Managed to visit youngest Herbert and his partner last night. The house is liveable in and they have great plans for it. I hope it all comes to fruition.

My game today is close enough to use Beast on battery power. That helps with the mpg and stops a tiny bit of emissions from Beast. Could be an interesting game as both teams are quite verbal.

Apparently Leeds Bradford Airport have had a month of no-one missing a flight due to queues. While they have recruited enough staff the Home Office have not managed to get the security of new employees sorted. Perhaps I should volunteer?  Err.. nope!

Time for my mugatea and a bacon and sausage sandwich.

Enjoy your day!

Stay safe!

Baz

Ps @monkeysarefun last time I visited Iwas asked to bring rain..I can also bring nice weather too!

Pps  @monkeysarefun sad to hear about the wombats.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

If you thought £2.00 a litre for fuel was a bit rich don't fill up in west London.  BBC reports and I can independently verify this ..... 😢

Bear predicts the return of scrotes siphoning tanks at 3am very soon....

Bear here.....

Well it seems that Harry fancied a burger instead last night, as his din dins bowl remains firmly undisturbed.  Hope the little guy is ok.

Plans for today include finishing off the door architraves - a bit of paintwork to be touched in, followed by the squirting of decorator's caulk to tidy up any joints etc.  Then the next job will be to start of the skirting - though that may well not happen today.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine here and a bit breezy again.  Should stay that way.

First task this morning is to phone the pharmacy* and find out what's happened to the prescription that I ordered on Monday.  It's usually delivered with 48/72 hours.    After that a walk is scheduled which may involve a visit to said pharmacy along with Asda.

Rugby Premiership Semi Finals day today so that's my afternoon sorted.   I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd have to put money on the two home teams which would mean misery for me and happiness for TB.

Time for some breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

*Quick call made and they've been waiting for one item which is now in so I can now collect. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Managed to visit youngest Herbert and his partner last night. The house is liveable in and they have great plans for it. I hope it all comes to fruition.

My game today is close enough to use Beast on battery power. That helps with the mpg and stops a tiny bit of emissions from Beast. Could be an interesting game as both teams are quite verbal.

Apparently Leeds Bradford Airport have had a month of no-one missing a flight due to queues. While they have recruited enough staff the Home Office have not managed to get the security of new employees sorted. Perhaps I should volunteer?  Err.. nope!

Time for my mugatea and a bacon and sausage sandwich.

Enjoy your day!

Stay safe!

Baz

Ps @monkeysarefun last time I visited Iwas asked to bring rain..I can also bring nice weather too!

Pps  @monkeysarefun sad to hear about the wombats.

Just goes to show that there are two sides to everything and that no matter what people make out things are never simple.

Does the beast not peddle power mode- i.e limp home mode.

Relative has an all electric jaguar. Very nice brum brum -well it would be if he could drive it, its been in the garage for longer than he's had it waiting for some chip to arrive. He's got it back now but they kept ringing him up asking what he thought etc. The first two times he was 'polite' can you guess what he said the third time when he still hadn't got it.

Anyway off to walk DD - no squirrel hunters required please, do some shopping, collect some pills and then finally home. Wish me luck.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue, there are a few clouds about, but it looks like a lovely day. Once breakfast has been consumed, I shall set off to collect Ava, who once again is going to be spending the day with us and she's also stopping for tea too. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

The solar panels are not so much payed for but the roof area rented and the home owner paid. The cost of panels has come down over the last couple of years and you can recover their cost in under seven years.

Disagree with that - prices much the same as 8 years ago certainly in a recent quote.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just goes to show that there are two sides to everything and that no matter what people make out things are never simple.

Does the beast not peddle power mode- i.e limp home mode.

Relative has an all electric jaguar. Very nice brum brum -well it would be if he could drive it, its been in the garage for longer than he's had it waiting for some chip to arrive. He's got it back now but they kept ringing him up asking what he thought etc. The first two times he was 'polite' can you guess what he said the third time when he still hadn't got it.

Anyway off to walk DD - no squirrel hunters required please, do some shopping, collect some pills and then finally home. Wish me luck.

Peddle mode? Are you having a laugh? He weighs in at about 1.75 tons. No limp home mode..you just start the engine.  Simples.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's talky books are via audible (Alexa) - I play them at low volume (just enough to hear them) and also say "Alexa - stop in 15 minutes" (or whatever time works for you).  More often than not I never hear it stop - and when I start playing the book again I have to get it to rewind a bit until I find a bit I remember.

Hope it works for you.

(I only got the books on a free trial offer - they want eight quid a month for one book download plus access to loads of music (Radio 2 does the last bit for free).  Now they've offered Bear a four quid a month offer for 4 months - I'm pondering that one.  A Harry Potter Book (I have the first four now) lasts for 20 - 30 hours depending on the novel, which keeps Bear amused when danglin' on a paint brush......)

I'm dependent on older tech - no Alexas in this burrow. A cheap CD player and tape [cassette] player are it. I plan to try a few other types of tales and if any show promise, will invest in more up to date machinery. Certainly one with an auto switch-off would be useful, together with a user-friendly fast forward/reverse to find the bit where the Zs kicked in. 

A few years ago when I was working as a model-maker, I made good use of Radios 4 and 7 (as it was then) to pass the time on repetitive tasks. The prospect of decorating looms (depending how things work out health-wise) and if that happens, I think I'll invest in some 'tapes' rather than download/subscriptions. It's probably a bit old-fashioned but I like having something I can hold in my hands in exchange for my modelling tokens. So to speak... 

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

@Gwiwer If there is no alternative to leaving the car parked in the sun I cover the steering wheel with a cloth, preferably white or a light colour. This stops the wheel from getting too hot to touch.

I use my inside windscreen cleaning duster (faded yellow) draped over the top of the wheel. Useful, even with the UK's 'low-fat' sun and temperatures. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A brief thought for the day before I get on with it: All this talk of budgies and parakeets reminds me of a time when I had an unusual experience while selling/checking tickets. I was well used to people bringing their dogs on the trains but one day ... 'Oh, hello. Two and a parrot to ****** please'. As you can see, it was in a proper travelling cage. We had a bit of a chat and apparently the couple took it most places with them and it was accustomed to this and liked it. 

V4.thumb.jpg.382d44d3ae1cd4dae5202e41c5f4942e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I use my inside windscreen cleaning duster (faded yellow) draped over the top of the wheel. Useful, even with the UK's 'low-fat' sun and temperatures. 

Me too!

A walk has been walked and  drugs collected.  Went via the park and managed a mile and a quarter but the last part was (and still is) agony so pills have had to be popped.  Right Hip, Knee and Upper Leg all complaining today.

Now sitting with a muggacoffee and wondering what to do for the next couple of hours until the first match kicks off at 1.30. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13