The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mars is more plausible than asteroids, though all of them would require artificial gravity 'assist' and intensive cosmic radiation shelters. Without those, strange human evolution might be very rapid.

The potential catastrophe you missed is a geomagnetic reversal. It could be devastating, and not just because of the WiFi outage.

Apparently the magnetic North Pole is in Siberia. Perhaps Poo Tin is trying to commandeer it?

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Iceberg Lettuce? Rare as rocking horse dung.

Aldi, Sainsbury's & Asda all out of stock and pretty well anything close to being a salad item also OOS.

Don't tell me - there's a holiday coming up!🤫

Likewise in Tess Coes about half three this afternoon. It was not at all crowded and they had plenty of goodies in the reduced to clear at very low prices which I made the most of.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Fridge magnets would fall off............

And I've just forked out some tokens on magnetic couplers.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2022 at 05:22, iL Dottore said:

Finally, because I do subscribe to the UK guitarists’ magazines, I have been keeping up-to-date with what Epiphone have been releasing as of late: and the headstocks on the LPs and SGs still look all wrong (yet Epiphone Japan manages to make LPs and SGs with “proper” open book headstocks)

OK, I spent some time online last night looking at headstocks, and I can now see your point - it's a bit like discussions on the vestibule and end windows on a 4-VEP or 4-TC (I'm sure there are similar discussions among those who follow that other railway).

But I never look at the corners of the headstock when playing, and if I was in an audience I'd only notice the different name if lights were on it. So for me it's good enough. Weights remain to be determined.

Agree totally about speed knobs, will get some if needed (might want to change the potentiometers first).

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

OK, I spent some time online last night looking at headstocks, and I can now see your point - it's a bit like discussions on the vestibule and end windows on a 4-VEP or 4-TC (I'm sure there are similar discussions among those who follow that other railway).

But I never look at the corners of the headstock when playing, and if I was in an audience I'd only notice the different name if lights were on it. So for me it's good enough. Weights remain to be determined.

Bear has a Headstock - but mine looks like this:

image.png.0dd61d704804817f1ec4ad73451f87e9.png

Dunno where the guitar bit fits in though.....

A Confused Bear

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s visit to the surgery was uneventful. My appointment was at 9:20, I arrived just after 9:15, I was seen on time and on my way home at 9:25! All very efficient and the nice weather made for a pleasant walk. 

Once back home, I picked up the car keys and set off to collect Ava. I gave her a biscuit and made her a drink before I set off for Sainsbury’s, whilst Ava stayed in with Sheila to do some sewing. No former colleagues were met whilst out this week, so it was all over fairly quickly. After dinner, Ava decided to read the new book we bought her, but after about an hour she fell asleep. But, as she was stopping for tea with us tonight, we decided to her rest. She finally went home just after 7 o’clock this evening. She’ll next be with us on Thursday and she and Charlie will both be stopping for tea. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

One creature you should never kill is spiders. They do a very good job of disposing of the real nasties such as flies. In fact I've noticed over the last couple of years there seems to be a shortage of them.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

46 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Man card issued!"

Remington were successfully sued for that ad campaign in connection with one of their products being used in a school shooting. (The laws being what they are, they weren't specifically liable for their product being used to kill children.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

With rain and snow overnight a local creek (by my dentist's office) was full. While there I noticed this:

image.png.8524749837ed81ef1c37fc8281faf21a.png

I first wondered if it might be a beaver, but no, it was the biggest nutria* I've ever seen - at least 1m from head to the end of it's tail. According to the dentist's staff, this is Norman. (There's a Norma as well.)

* An invasive species from the continent of rodents of unusual size (South America).

• Informative/Useful 17

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I first wondered if it might be a beaver, but no, it was the biggest nutria* I've ever seen - at least 1m from head to the end of it's tail. According to the dentist's staff, this is Norman. (There's a Norma as well.)

* An invasive species from the continent of rodents of unusual size (South America).

My brother-in-law has just moved from a lakeside house near Houston. They had problems with nutrias burrowing into their property along the banks of the lake, causing the banks to collapse and steadily erode away. (That wasn’t why they moved, by the way!)

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

OK, I spent some time online last night looking at headstocks, and I can now see your point….

Agree totally about speed knobs, will get some if needed (might want to change the potentiometers first).

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Dunno where the guitar bit fits in though.....

A Confused Bear

For both the Bear and Zarniwhoop, this is what I mean about the Epiphone Japan Headstock:

35D610E9-36C1-4847-A957-03720702BF05.jpeg.1128a4bdca53491f23794ff042facb04.jpeg

That, my dear Bear, is a headstock.

According to what I have read, the Japanese Epiphones are made by Fujigen in Japan and are extremely high quality. (as are the lower budget, but equally good quality, “Orville by Gibson“ [also with the  “correct” headstock]). Some reckon that the Japanese versions are even better than much of the Gibson USA production.

9628ACA8-1299-49A9-988D-031B1EEC4D7A.jpeg.811d83cc040d421e1e439a44bbd60a41.jpeg

Like with all Japanese made products, the quality and finish is extremely high. I am not sure whether or not Epiphone in Japan is still making the open book headstock Les Pauls and SGs (supposedly only for the Japanese market, but there are Japanese dealers who will ship them) but the Orville brand is now out of production (but fairly easy to find). It used to be that you could get these guitars at very competitive prices, unfortunately the prices are now starting to rival that of Gibson USA models. Certain used ones, because of the rarity (and playability), are now going for some serious money.

Interestingly, I was looking at the English website pages of a few Japanese guitar shops and although they do feature Japanese Epiphones, they never show the Epi Japan headstock in full. I wonder why.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8