The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Alternatively, the world enacts a strict 1-child per couple policy, with tax breaks and bonuses for childless married couples and extra huge cash prizes for those who choose to get sterilised before having any children…

Are you sure we don't need a lottery to tell us who can breed? With slightly mad (and cowardly) aliens masterminding it all at a very safe distance....?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That didn't work in China and its effect will be felt for years. 

I would have thought t did. Although china's population has increased enormously I suspect that India and Indonesia's have increased far more quickly, and in the former's case has put it on the path to overtake China in the next 50 years (althogh I might have made that bit up)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A'noon.

Still nice and sunny but I didn't feel like washing the car so that can wait until tomorrow.  Our window cleaners came Tuesday but you wouldn't think so now as all the windows and sills, like the car, are covered in orange dust.

Didn't contact the surgery for a same day telephone appointment as I remembered that the doctor I want to speak to isn't there today although when looking online there were five others available.  I prefer to stick to the same doctor if possible.......and she is rather nice as well.  :yes:

I have spent some more time on The Buddha and Milliput has been deployed. Will leave it to harden and have another bash tomorrow.  I've even been to The Shed and had a look around.  It's still there and everything is intact so some muddling mojo needs to be found.  Perhaps I'll get some inspiration on Saturday.

Good oh,  just been asked what I want for lunch.  She said no :nono: so I'll have to settle for soup and a sandwich! :whistle:

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope no one is planning to travel continental over the next few weeks, it appears P&O have ordered all ships into port and the rumour is they are sacking all their employees.

I for see strikes and port blockades

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Not the best photo in the world…the video was slightly better but too big to post here, even when compressed. 

It was a GBRf working, 5Z01 crossing the river Ouse south of Lewes, running 7 late, with what looks like 60000 leading.

A1FD4AB9-05E4-457C-9238-62F463FB0FC6.jpeg.7cc55087f6f3c7546aa55423e049b714.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all

Couldn't log on this morning again. Managed to get a few Banana boxes from Morrisons as a temporary home for books not brilliant but they are a)Free b)recyclable and I hope they won't be in there a long time.

We have had Lunch out today at a Toby Carvery not my cup of tea but her ladyship suggested there so off we went it was nice and quiet the food was ok.

Now having a coffee before the school run.

I was going to plant the couple of heathers I bought the other day but Bees are virtually queuing to get on them.

It is also the end of an era today as at some point this afternoon/evening the 3 remaining cooling towers at Ferrybridge are demolished 

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Rough translation 

You have won a trip to Siberia courtesy of our Glourious Leader Vladimir Putin. We have been watching you and you have posted forbidden items on Early Risers 

Our FSB operatives will be picking you up soon

Yeah good luck with that....picking me up could be real fun... especially at night....I have just upgraded my night vision rifle scopes and I have a clear view all round me out to about a 1000 yards. If you are coming to get me Russian War Criminals, holiday offer or not, then best you come mob handed or be waving a big white flag high and wide.

And I am not the only one so furnished in the neighbourhood either.....interlocking fields of fire right there..:laugh:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Everyone sees different ads and it can be dependent on browsing history.

Andy's here!!!  :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

In other news.....

Door stiles planned, measured, not cut yet.

Why?  Well there's getting dusty cutting MDF, or......Beary Din Dins.....

Not a tuff choice in this Bear's book.

Still no sign of the Ebay order for Hinges - but a replacement brush for Mickey the Miele arrived this morning (at 09:39) by Parcelforce, after being despatched yesterday afternoon :clapping:  The replacement brush was a freebie - Bear purchased new hoover (Miele?) bags from them back in August and a free brush was included; the brush is (was?) very good as it's a super-duper adjustable jobbie, but after a while the joints became a little slack and made the brush prone to twisting during use.  So I called Miele and asked if there was anything I could do (notalot, short of gluing it in a fixed position); no arguments, no convincing required, no need to return the old brush for investigation etc. etc. - they immediately said they'd post a new one out straight away (they're twenty-odd quid to buy).  Miele might cost a fair bit but in this Bear's experience they're certainly worth it.  Result.

And finally.....

It seems the Ruskies didn't bomb the Cinema after all, nor any other civilian building - "We don't do that sort of thing", they say......

When all this is over (very soon, I hope) I'd love to see those who really believe such cr@p is true being dragged from Russia to Ukraine and being filmed taken around all the bomb sites, hospitals etc. whilst the footage is shown live on Russian telly - as well as on giant video screens in Russian city centres.  No doubt they'll claim that Ukraine did it to themselves to try and make Russia look bad.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I hope no one is planning to travel continental over the next few weeks, it appears P&O have ordered all ships into port and the rumour is they are sacking all their employees.

I for see strikes and port blockades

I am but after the initial panic it seems that this refers to P & O Ferries who are owned by DP World  and not P & O Cruises owned by Carnival Corporation.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Yeah good luck with that....picking me up could be real fun... especially at night....I have just upgraded my night vision rifle scopes and I have a clear view all round me out to about a 1000 yards. If you are coming to get me Russian War Criminals, holiday offer or not, then best you come mob handed or be waving a big white flag high and wide.

And I am not the only one so furnished in the neighbourhood either.....interlocking fields of fire right there..:laugh:

Have you swabbed and tested your front door handle lately?

In other news....

P&O have just issued 800 severance notices to staff :angry:  Apparently many are staying in their cabins and refusing to leave, so private security teams have been sent on-board to shift them.

edit:  Beaten by ST.  Turdycurses.

Bung a few nuts n' bolts in the sump oil should teach them a lesson.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Grizz said:

Since yesterday morning I keep getting this F ing ad coming up on my screen when I try to open a post…starting to get a bit f’d off with it now. It takes up the whole screen and is activated when I click on the Notifications bell…..any thoughts. 
DA59A889-C673-4827-8023-1317A7CD48CD.jpeg.75c583d68497eedbbdca1a272bedb28f.jpeg

Courtesy Google translate:

Mental arithmetic Online

A unique method of teaching mental arithmetic. We become geniuses! 6+

Speed Reading

Memory and Attention

Calligraphy

Contacts

• Informative/Useful 10

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Have you swabbed and tested your front door handle lately?

Bear funnily enough we have been.....we are constantly doing it...thanks to Covid. I never thought I would say that about Covid. And what with my underlying health issues etc we have actually been doing this for the past five years. Four family members have had Covid over the past 6 weeks so this place is proper decontaminated...personally I prefer petrol to isopropyl alcohol but what with the rising costs and the risk of burning Grizz Castle to the ground, maybe not... Mrs Grizz is less keen on using petrol...although she does seem strangely attracted to the smell of it....also real Creosote....she prefers it to my usual 'Instead of Shave" :laugh:

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 17

Confused here 

Bank of England have raised interest rates again to counter cost of living increases.

They are increasing it themselves.

Interest rate rises are meant to take money out of the system fine if we were in a consumer led boom 

Its energy costs thats driving inflation with the rip off gas and electricity prices and highway robbery at fuel pumps 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

what's abusive about using a recreational area for sports? And why would dog walkers who leave there "DSB"s lying around all over the place or their dog's faeces in the grass for the unwary to tread on be exempted?

Sounds like a plan to deprive the poor of open spaces to me.

Sorry Sir - said standing to attention.

I did latter post that this had been posted with my tongue firmly in cheek.

Dog walkers though are the one group who have to use parks everyday no matter what. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

"upgraded" sounds suspiciously like code for "new improved"

How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

It sounds as though someone has issued “strict guidelines”.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

According to the BBC 800 staff have just been fired by P&O security have removed crew frI'm a vessel in Larne 

RMT union are advising crews to remain aboard

I don’t think we have a rating icon for my opinion of that. 

At the very least I hope it gets challenged in court. I had thought it was unlawful to dismiss staff and replace them with others in the same jobs but on inferior conditions. 

It also opens a very dangerous door for many other employers and if allowed to go ahead unchallenged is a potentially catastrophic move for the British labour market. 

There is, as we know, sometimes more than one side to a story. Currently the only one being made public appears to be bully-boy tactics. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2