The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Nah he got that wrong, we got lots of clouds and one solitary, on its own, lonely daffodil in flower.

Of clouds, the forecast today was dry 4 to 6 hours sunshine this afternoon.. so what did we get... Rain..

So this morning I got the mast up,  which was a bit of a wrestling match, getting 23 foot of mast up onto the deck of the boat which is 6ft high.

Then getting far enough back to get the foot of the mast into its base, without falling off the boat.

then it was time to start rigging..

First the side stays so the mast didn't fall down again. No problem.

Then the main , and jib halyards were led to the correct places, and two cleat hooks were fitted in a suitable place.

The jib vang was then installed, but I haven't found a suitable point for its cleat yet.

The furler sheet for the jib was installed, no problem.

The outhaul for the jib was installed no problem.

The port jib sheet , was installed through its turning block, no problem.

The starboard jib sheet was installed through it's... Now where did that go?, Of turning block, no trace, it was on the deck while I installed the port one. But it vanished, I searched, SWMBO searched , Ben the inquisitive Collie searched. No sign of it.. so I've just ordered another, £10.62 luckily it's the smallest size available.

At that point I retreated to the house due to rain, I muggacoffee was enjoyed, as I thawed out. Standing up above the fence line, with a north easterly at the time got very chilly.

When the rain stopped, Ben took me for his long walk. Nice and warm if you could get out of the wind.

During this the sun started to appear, when we got back, I repainted the eyes on the bows of the boat.

I've since had a long soak in the bath, much needed, as my undercarriage is not happy at climbing up and down step Ladders for much of the day...

Next week I hope to complete the rigging and maybe a first coat of anti fouling.

But for now another muggacoffee.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Not to make fun of it but that'd take the superstition of the evil eye to an entirely new level… :jester:

Either that or we've found out superman's other identity...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

33 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Right, here goes: As per available records, 110 299, 110 300 and 110 466 were utilised as testbeds for various components intended to improve the 110's high speed performance, which had left to be desired originally. These included differently designed bogies derived from those used on the E 10.12s, which but were again replaced with standard bogies after a few years. Also, all three locos temporarily carried different pantographs, including a DBS 54a variant with a Wanisch B15 collector head atop Cab 1 at least on 110 300, and indeed one SBS 65 single arm pan atop Cab 2. This yielded a rather unique appearance!

Given that the model I'm using as the basis is 110 340 which featured a grey rather than black solebar and underskirt - which in itself is a livery variation documented to have been evaluated on 110 340, 383 and 384, and quite attractive to my mind - , the mod as it is is, technically, more of a "what if 340 had been part of those trials too" but seems plausible enough to me upon further consideration.

There are, in fact, surprisingly many differences in details even on a highly standardised design such as the 110, but I'm sure you may long have noticed that in your modelling enterprises! Several of these modifications would appear to have been created on an ad-hoc basis and records of them are not always consistent, but in any event, they certainly provide a wide variety of opportunities for customising models.

NGT6 1315 I am now checking through some photos to see if I can find that 151 in Railpool livery, no luck yet

But...

How about these two old war horses? Class 155s??? E42? 

IMG_5658.PNG.d366cdc3907d89a36845d74151b8488a.PNG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Nah he got that wrong, we got lots of clouds

Possibly a myth but he is supposed to have originally written cow not cloud and his sister got him to change it. I suspect float in line 2 would have been altered too. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Been quite a busy afternoon, been checking out the new layout. The electrics seem to be OK but I won't know until I've cleaned up the track. The state of the track is down to being stored for a couple of years, I will have to get some ethyl alcohol on them. Muggatee awaits, be back later. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Been quite a busy afternoon, been checking out the new layout. The electrics seem to be OK but I won't know until I've cleaned up the track. The state of the track is down to being stored for a couple of years, I will have to get some Isopon on them. Muggatee awaits, be back later. 

That bad you need to use filler on the track?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Either that or we've found out superman's other identity...

Is it a Bird? No!  Is it a plane? No! Its...... SuperBaz!!

:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

On 26/02/2022 at 08:00, NGT6 1315 said:

The Barrier Wagoneer's at work:

IMG_3756.jpeg.1849fc35547591f84fb4ebe26ff7faef.jpeg

Ta Da!!!! found it :D 

Not quite the same livery but the same type of vehicle?

IMG_7475.JPG.2ab663823dfb472df9ec94169dc7ef5c.JPG

It was in a convoy of these locos going to Finland..

IMG_7479.JPG.18e91f85d1e339e353b1b6303d9e9c76.JPG

Hauled by this loco....

IMG_7459.JPG.dcc3dd6618a146beb1aac5a93bdce6c0.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Rugby.                      Tick.

Beer.                         Tick.

Roast Chicken etc.  Tick.

Wine.                        Tick.

More wine.              Tick.

What's next?

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

NGT6 1315 I am now checking through some photos to see if I can find that 151 in Railpool livery, no luck yet

But...

I've been searching and only come up with this, at Mannheim, April 2107DSCN2356.JPG.5e47f81b5b7e9e00ce9856e0c2893eae.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Going back to my family history my paternal grandmothers family came from Portland Bill. Back in one of the Victorian censuses they were described as unemployed quarrymen (father and two sons). In the following census they were working for the Gas Light and Coke Co. gasworks where the O2 centre now stands. It is said in family tradition that that they (the menfolk) walked from Portland to London to look for work being too poor to pay for transport. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I've been searching and only come up with this, at Mannheim, April 2107DSCN2356.JPG.5e47f81b5b7e9e00ce9856e0c2893eae.JPG

Great photo Eric.. :good_mini:

I've found this one at Hamburg - Harburg hbf. which I took back on 29th August 2019....but it's a Potsdam.DE loco.

Frustratingly I am sure that I have a photo of that Railpool 151 somewhere. 

IMG_7754.JPG.febeed2566f8eb9e3d28a4dfd61d78b5.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Whilst The Boss is hogging the TV watching skating and Constipation St I 've been trawling YouTube for music and have come up with two versions of the same toon done rather differently but both featuring bare midriffs.  I'll leave you to decide which you prefer but I know which one I do!  :yes:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

image.png.333520a5a62bb62d060ddd3aed586f7f.pngNGT6 1315 Is this it? 

There are a few differences to how individual examples of their ex-baggage vans are painted indeed, and similarly, I understand they do have a number which were not converted to barrier vans. These would then be used for shipments which do not need the cargo to be put on skates, or otherwise not require the height-adjustable coupler adapters which the barrier vans have on one end. Similarly, they have a number of flat wagons which double for equipment haulage and for providing braking force.

Thanks for sharing these photos, BTW! :yes:

12 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Great photo Eric.. :good_mini:

I've found this one at Hamburg - Harburg hbf. which I took back on 29th August 2019....but it's a Potsdam.DE loco.

Frustratingly I am sure that I have a photo of that Railpool 151 somewhere. 

IMG_7754.JPG.febeed2566f8eb9e3d28a4dfd61d78b5.JPG

That would be one of the seven 151s now owned by Eisenbahngesellschaft Potsdam, or EGP for short. They have also leased two 151s from SRI.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grizz said:

But...

That would be the two 142s also owned by EGP at present. Note that these examples were part of a batch of 18 locos which had been sold to Swiss operator Lokoop  in 1993/94 and modified with MU controls and rheostatic brakes. To accommodate the rheostats, one pan had to be deleted. These locos, called Ae 477 in Switzerland, were returned to Germany when Lokoop foundered.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1