The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

...and all that before summer even starts!

The Colorado should be full of snowmelt right now.

And there is no longer a fire season* in Southern California (when I lived there it was August and September). Wildfires are now year round.

* The joke was that yes, Southern California did have four seasons - flood, mud, fog and fire. Flood and mudslides still happen but are now dramatically intensified by burn scars from the year-round fires - even for the very rich like Montecito in 2018.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

But "jeans ironed"? I thought one of the joys of jeans was that was one of the things that didn't need to happen with jeans!

Can I help it if I'm a bit of a smooooooth Bear?  Just a trendsetter in the world of fashion I guess....

:laugh:

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ironed? que?  Gave that up on retirement!

Bear too.  Almost.

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

So I'm all for sharing man's burden- hell I did missionary work down saarth for twenty years,

I wonder what the current position is regarding missionaries now....:rofl:

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

03F11C49-D647-42E0-9628-33A24C492B24.jpeg.d28f648721351b827a78c45abf68e41d.jpeg

My dog could find water anywhere and felt it was his duty to share it with those walking with him.

I'm guessin' you don't have a white carpet and sofa?  Or not any longer.....

28 minutes ago, BoD said:

Fortunately for me, my grandfather, who did work underground, told my father that there was no way that he was going to work down the pit so I was never under any pressure to follow the family ‘tradition’. 

Apparently my Great Granddad said the same to my Grandad, so he never went down the Pit (Sacriston) but instead came down south and became a Baker instead.

In other news.....

Another fine evening at the M.E. Evening Class :yahoo:.  Sadly it seems that the grown-ups have decreed that the Tutor can't play anymore (he has to devote his time to the daytime oiks) so the Technician will baby-sit us instead.  Makes life a bit more awkward for any prospective newbies with little or no clue what they're doing, but at least we're still up and running.  For how long is the worrying question though...

And finally.....

Bear's paw slipped and hit the "Bid" button on the 'bay for a second kit-built choo choo.  Oops.  There was almost another one too - but someone else got that.  Still, I got Bear's favourite one, with no other bidders so a good result.  And from the same seller as yesterday, so combined postage is on the cards. :yahoo:

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BoD said:

A quote from the BBC website

An international cat federation has said it's banning all Russian cats from entering its competitions.

In a statement on its website the Fédération Internationale Féline said it was "horrified" by Russia's invasion of Ukraine and had subsequently decided to disallow Russian cats from competing in its competitions, which take place around the world.

That’ll teach ‘em.

I wonder what's happening** to all the Kitties and Doggies in Kyiv etc.?  What's going on makes Firework Night look like a Church Service by comparison....

** Actually, I don't want to know :cry:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

13 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Oh dear 

Neighbours has been cancelled completely 

I haven't watched it since I was at High school but at least it wasnt depressing like Deadenders 

I remember a local comic saying he used to try to  rile up Brit audiences when over there by telling them that  Neighbours was  our version of Eastenders. 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

I wonder what's happening** to all the Kitties and Doggies in Kyiv etc.?  What's going on makes Firework Night look like a Church Service by comparison....

** Actually, I don't want to know :cry:

Some have taken their pets with them and some countries are allowing pets in without the pet passports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

Dear Bear I can officially confirm that following the Pandemic that all missionary work darn sarrth has  been cancelled. I beleive the official phrase was something along the lines of ' might as well give up on them as there going to hell in a hand cart' or words to that effect.

So all missionaries have been recalled, apart from the ones that have gone 'native' as we don't want them coming back and contamination the populace with there soft southern ways.

• Like 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Some have taken their pets with them and some countries are allowing pets in without the pet passports.

Maybe a bird, cat or a small dog. Most have had to abandon their pets.

Yesterday I saw an interview with a woman at the border in tears over abandoning her home, cats and dogs while escaping to the west.

EDIT:
On a network evening news broadcast this evening I did see a family with what looked like a spaniel, but I see very few dogs in all the footage of Ukrainian evacuees. 

With all the privations these evacuees are going through, long train journeys, walking tens of km, etc, and stories of them gradually abandoning possessions as they go, I imagine that accommodating pets on the journey would be very difficult.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grizz said:

Ooooo what’s in the box …what’s in the box????? I love that shape box…..I’ve got hundreds and hundreds of them. Trouble is Mrs Grizz has learnt to recognise THAT shaped box….and can do this in her sleep…it would seem! 

It is an OBB electric loco but what class is it? 

IMG_3826.jpeg.3bfcc8d2bcb287eeb16c6e757777bfc8.jpeg

Here you are. :D The resemblance of this livery to camouflage is quite uncanny, isn't it? That being said, given post-WW2 Austria's low profile in military matters, it does strike me as odd that they would advertise for their army like that.

And that's me to bed now. Be safe, everyone...

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Snakes in the flood water is just as bad as crocs if not worse.its like weather and wildlife ganging up on you

And spiders dont like getting their 8 tiny feet wet either. From last years floods.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

War what is it good for? Absolutely nothing 

unless you are a shareholder of an Australian energy exporter. (from Sydney Morning Herald)

The war in Ukraine has sent Australia’s fossil-fuel export prices surging, as buyers in Europe and Asia scramble to reduce their exposure to Russia and look for alternative coal and gas supplies in the middle of a global energy crunch.

The benchmark price for high-quality coal in Asia surged 42 per cent this week to an unprecedented $US446 ($609) a tonne, while one-off cargoes of liquefied natural gas (LNG) soared more than 40 per cent to a six-month high.

The rally lifted the share prices of some of Australia’s largest coal miners. Whitehaven and Yancoal finished the day trading nearly 11 per cent higher, while Perth-based oil and gas giant Woodside rose almost 3 per cent.

Australia is the world’s largest shipper of LNG, followed closely by Qatar and the United States. While Australian LNG companies lack the capacity to produce more gas to send to Europe, the industry is set to cash in as the tightening global market elevates prices for uncontracted cargoes in Asia.

Experts and analysts suggest Australian producers may also stand to benefit longer-term from the invasion of Ukraine, as the Russian energy sector finds it more difficult to finance new projects to meet future demand. Energy giants including BP, Shell and Equinor this week pulled out of major Russian projects, while Italy froze its loan of an estimated $500 million euros ($672 million) for Russia’s Arctic LNG 2 project, which had been due to begin exports from 2023.

• Informative/Useful 18

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

War what is it good for? Absolutely nothing 

unless you are a shareholder of an Australian energy exporter.

Unsurprisingly. Good for the Australian economy in the short term.

Australia will struggle to replace fossil fuel exports and maintain the current quality of life. It's amazing how much you can monetize compost if you can leave it be for 100M years.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Unsurprisingly. Good for the Australian economy in the short term.

Australia will struggle to replace fossil fuel exports and maintain the current quality of life. It's amazing how much you can monetize compost if you can leave it be for 100M years.

No worries mate, we've got all that Lithium AND uranium, whatever way the world goes!

Some see the writing on the wall. Australian founder of Atlassian software has recently attempted a buy out of AGL energy, hoping that if successful he would transform it from coal powered dependence to alternative energy.

https://www.weeklyblitz.net/tech/atlassian-founder-leads-bid-to-buy-agl-energy/

For brief moments lately energy output produced by solar sources has outstripped that produced by coal but we have a long way to go and energy companies love spreading the doom and gloom propaganda about how unreliable alternative energy is.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

Except for groceries a week ago, and my daily constitutional, I hadn't ventured out for a week.

I decided to get in gear this afternoon, but spent too long here and didn't leave the house until close to 3:50pm, and had to stop for a school bus bringing the middle-schoolers home, sit in the traffic jam for the high schoolers while I watched the clock to get to the local post office "parcels" department (which due to space constraints is separate from the retail post office) before 4:00pm.

I made it with seconds to spare and presented the little brown form (left in my mailbox a week ago) to ransom a letter (with a grand total of $0.30 insufficient postage) addressed to me. No luck, they couldn't find it. Then I went to the retail post office (only because I wasn't sure a birthday card destined for the antipodes weighed ≤ 1oz).  Mission accomplished there, only to narrowly avoid a head on collision with a vehicle "steered" by a woman (apparently eating) who turned fully into my turn lane, missing her lane completely.

Heading home the back way to avoid traffic I was held up by what might be the world's ugliest railcar (WES) and then someone who materialized in front of me walking a dog. (He had the right of way - I was checking traffic in the other direction when he appeared.)

Finally home, the USPS called me to let me know they had found my letter (and three other misfiled letters for neighbours), and would deliver it without insisting on the ransom.

Meanwhile the news is reporting weapons being directed at a southeastern Ukrainian nuclear power plant (Zaporizhzhia and reportedly one of the largest in Europe), which is on fire amid urgent calls for a local ceasefire to permit firefighters to extinguish the fire.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, can't sleep..

I have various relatives that were miners, mum's dad was a miner, of a long line of miners, but came out and joined the RAF, after which the railways.

My younger sister's late husband was a miner, was mining the cause of his cancer? Probably...

Going back to the 1800s and before Dad's mothers side had a long line of miners, some of whom have never left their pit, having been caught in a disaster..

Here in Norfolk large parts of it are flood plains, there are always battles between builders and others over where to build houses. Norfolk did have a very small area of coal mining up at Kelling Heath. But it never became more than small local pits no exports outside the area.

Norfolks main mining was peat, fully commercial up to 1500s when coal started arriving by sea from up north, but for local family use, peat was still cut till WW1. What happened to the peat cuttings?... They're now called the Norfolk Broads...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7