The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention he's already been playing with his new milling machine, ordered long after the lathe....

As for cost, he's head of lab probably triple my wages....

I'll see if I can find out which lathe..

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a rock that is sunny and 6c, due to a forecast of 3c and rain.......pah.  Bike club ride was cancelled last night and it's too late this morning to re-arrange things. The feels like is 2c so maybe it wasn't so bad!

Little else of note to report, the fact it isn't windy - just a breeze - seems odd, after the last 10 days or so of constant high winds.  

Doozers are busy putting fibre optic 'cables' into the street, but to upgrade to actually use it is very expensive, double the monthly cost in fact.  They can stuff it.

Just peddle faster and youll be all right.

Either that or give the mouse a bigger piece of cheese.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It was SEERS night last night, a film night the subject of which I cannot mention here. I was talking to the chap sitting next to me and the subject of arthritis came up. His wife is a fellow sufferer and he told me that she takes a cannabis based medicine available over the chemists counter. He told me what it was but with my sieve of a brain I've forgotten it. It was something like ACB? I'm sure that there's some on here such as @iL Dottore  who can point me in the right direction. My companion of last night said it was far more effective than Nurofen or Co-codamol so I'd like to give it a try. Perhaps GDB's other half might like to give it a try if the pain persists.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

...Doozers are busy putting fibre optic 'cables' into the street, but to upgrade to actually use it is very expensive, double the monthly cost in fact.  They can stuff it.

It's all very well saying that, but the next thing you know everything you need to do on the interweb thingy requires upload and download speeds you won't be able to match and you're stuffed.

This seems to be the current tech company approach: write bloatware that demands "state-of-the-art" hardware. Unless you can afford to upgrade whenever the tech boys want, probably the best approach is to go open source software. I have a 19 year old Dell Tower in the workshop (bought 2003), which would certainly be unable to manage Windoze 10 or 11, but with Linux installed (and Libre Office - the open source version of MS Office) it continues to work flawlessly.

The next upgrade to the Dell will be after consulting with my Linux-Expert chum about what Linux compatible open-source software I would need for 3D printing and CNC milling.

Unfortunately, for work it HAS to be Windows 10/11 Pro and state-of-the-art hardware :(*

* but that's tax deductible :dancer::D:yahoo:

• Like 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It'll be a crime if Hank is sent to his maker - the very least they can do is relocate him (and ensure he manages for natural food ok afterwards.  They caused the problem in the first place after all.

Unfortunately, relocation often doesn’t work. There are instances of bears travelling hundreds of kilometres back to their original areas. And, as the article on Hank says, once bears are aware of human food, they’ll seek it out. From an immediate survival point of view, it’s a great tactic - lots of calories gained for little effort expended. In many towns, the place to see bears is the town dump. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Sainsbury's visit put on hold as we're waiting for a call back from the dentist.  The slight improvement has gone and things seem to be getting a bit worse.

I'm now pretty sure that what I mentioned above are ACB capsules, available over the counter at most chemists. I will be asking about them later when I visit the chemists myself.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm now pretty sure that what I mentioned above are ACB capsules, available over the counter at most chemists. I will be asking about them later when I visit the chemists myself.

Probably better to talk to a pharmacist than someone at the club. ACB medication isn’t what you seem to think it is and isn’t a cannabis based product. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a call from the dentist and we're going back at midday as he wants to make sure that nothing untoward is going on.

As for Eurovision I've always thought that it has been a complete farce for many years and cannot for the life of me understand why we still enter it.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

As for Eurovision I've always thought that it has been a complete farce for many years and cannot for the life of me understand why we still enter it.

If the organisers think it is cultural and above politics they are being very naive.

Edited by Tony_S
Missing word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 17

Greetings all from Sidcup which is bathed in sunshine.

WFH today.

News too depressing to comment on.

I agree that Eurovision is awful. Someone once commented that after Abba's 1973 win, it was a shame that the biggest influence they had was on future competitors' costumes and not on their music.

And why would gay people want to make that music "theirs"? I don't understand why they would feel that "yes this is something for us". Or indeed why sexuality should apparently define music choice.

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Had a call from the dentist and we're going back at midday as he wants to make sure that nothing untoward is going on.

Firstly, VSBT's to both GDB and The Boss.....:friends:

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Agreed; I recall Terry Wogan getting very, very p.off with it because of all the "political voting" going on.

19 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I tend to agree.  However, as a gay man I am apparently supposed to enjoy Eurovision.  I don't.  What can this possibly mean?

Chris

Simple.  Eurovision is cr@p.

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

...he told me that she takes a cannabis based medicine available over the chemists counter. He told me what it was but with my sieve of a brain I've forgotten it. It was something like ACB? I'm sure that there's some on here such as @iL Dottore  who can point me in the right direction.

He is probably referring to Cannabidiol (often abbreviated to CBD) which is one of 113 identified cannabinoids in cannabis plants. Although there is a lot of anecdotal evidence, there is insufficient high-quality evidence that cannabidiol is effective for pain, anxiety, cognition or movement disorders. Nonetheless, there is some limited "official" medical use of CBD (such as for treatment of epilepsy in a very narrow range of fairly rare conditions [such as Dravet syndrome]). Having said that, it is widely used as an OTC remedy and its availability varies from country to country.

In Switzerland CBD is not considered a narcotic because it does not produce a comparable psychoactive effect to THC. Cannabis products containing less than 1% THC can be sold and purchased legally. In the UK, it's a bit complicated (actually quite complicated) CBD is approved for medical use in the relief of severe spasticity due to multiple sclerosis (in certain conditions), it can be legally owned if it contains < 1mg of THC and is not advertised as providing a medicinal benefit. It is also a "novel food", but one that's not recommended by the FSA for use  by "vulnerable people..... and those already taking medication for other medical reasons"

CBD is also used in veterinary medicine but, like with humans, there is a dearth of solid, well run, clinical studies out there providing data to support claims of safety and efficacy.

A WORD OF WARNING: whilst I cannot advise on whether or not you should take CBD, the problem with OTC CBD (and other nutraceutical/alternative/herbal remedies) is that there is a lot of bad producers of such things out there and their products range from barely containing an active substance to downright dangerous (and potentially fatal in the right circumstances) A reputable pharmacist (pharmacist, not shop assistant) should be able to steer you to a quality product - should you decide to go that route (actually, a second opinion, from a second - independent - pharmacist wouldn't go amiss)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Late on parade today, but I was up early, honest! Anyway, I've had a nice walk to the butchers, where I picked up the week's meat rations and secured a pork pie for my dinner. I've also been to the Trafford Centre for the usual items I can't pick up at Sainsbury’s. I'm now just about to finish my second muggertea, I'll then read the latest issue of BRM which happened to drop on the door mat yesterday. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A WORD OF WARNING: whilst I cannot advise on whether or not you should take CBD, the problem with OTC CBD (and other nutraceutical/alternative/herbal remedies) is that there is a lot of bad producers of such things out there and their products range from barely containing an active substance to downright dangerous (and potentially fatal in the right circumstances) A reputable pharmacist (pharmacist, not shop assistant) should be able to steer you to a quality product - should you decide to go that route (actually, a second opinion, from a second - independent - pharmacist wouldn't go amiss)

This backs up what iD has just warned:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medical-cannabis/

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've researched a bit about CBD myself because of reading the reports elsewhere for easing joint pain. But as a diabetic that's allergic to anaesthetics , I've steered away from it.

Well the boat temporary cover came off, to find the crack was back, not as bad as before but it was there.

First the real boat cover was tried and it fitted. So later the aft end needs trimming for SWMBO to see that.

Second the crack was marked up +-3.5 inches for a six inch wide tape.

Then out with the angle grinder and a scotch right type sanding pad.

About 5 minutes later the area was ground down to below the surrounding paint.

Then a palm sander was used to smooth that area.

The fibreglass tape was cut to size and placed at the ready.

A bonding paste was mixed and warmed,  then half plastered on the area.

The tape was placed on and pressured to absorb the mix.

The rest of the mix was then plastered on and leveled by using a bit of wood from side to side pressing on the unsanded areas.

Then the rest of the painted upper hull was sanded  as once the crack fully repaired it will need a full coat of paint. So tomorrow another £34 of muddling money will disappear on a tin of paint.

I managed to then sand the keel and the under hull forward of the keel before my paws and arms gave out.

When I've finished this muggacoffee, Ben the snoring by my side collie will be taken for his long walk.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

2 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Where, I wonder, is the reset button for this world?

As long as it's not that big red one that Vlad's got at his finger tips ...

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

I reckon @NGT6 1315 is right. Dom we need to do a world CTRL  Alt Del. And ASAP.

Indeed, that thought crossed my mind this morning.  

This is the third year running when fate's response to "I think we are all going to have a nice year" has been "Here, hold my beer ...."

In Other News:

Tried a bit of astronomy last night but it wasn't the most successful attempt if for no other reason than it was too windy.     I did manage to prove the efficacy of the "Marking the focus barrel" concept mentioned a while ago and also managed to prove the marks I've made during daylight  were way-out but never mind!

Just  waiting for  no, post interrupted and just  had  a telephone consultation with the hospital.   No startling revelations just more of the same.

Alan

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4