The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I wasn’t out long this morning, thankfully the weather was kind and I managed to get back home before the rains came. By mid afternoon Eunice was making her presence felt and we heard plenty of bins being blown about. Thankfully, ours remained where I’d left them, due in part to our neighbours hedge and the fact that I’ve wedged them together. By early evening things had started to get a little quieter, but we were constantly getting strong gusts all night. Since early evening we’ve had several short hail showers, in fact it’s just started hailing as I’m writing. 

This afternoon, for a change, we watched last nights ‘Question Time’ and for the first time in what seems like ages, probably several months, it was a very civilised affair, so snipe or trying to score political points, just good old fashioned debate, it made for a very welcome change indeed. 

• Like 19

56 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What is the cylindrical proboscis pointing to two o'clock? I'm guessing it's a handle but looks shorter than I'd want - but that may just be the angle. Is it removable? It looks like it might be.

That'd be the handle. 

Heres a picture of mine, you basically use your forefinger to depress the red locking button and your fingertips wrap around the handle to operate the saw . Any longer and it'd just dig into your palm for no reason.  I've never had an issue with it, unless I have tiny little Donald Trump hands without realising it.

I dont think my handle is easily removable, I think its joined with those "try removing it and they'll snap off" Chinese plastic clips.

PXL_20220219_000042395.jpg.fd3f2cb3cede3e36eca493e8449709e3.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The second hand market is worth a bit of a squizz, frankly I reckon you'd be heaps better off spending x amount on a good secondhand item than the same amount on a new lower quality….

Never one to ignore sage advice, I went to Flea Bay Switzerland and looked at what they had on offer for both table saws and bandsaws. Secondhand? Secondhand my ****! All but three or four of the more than 100 listings were for secondhand gear - all the rest were for brand new equipment, from the usual suspects (Einhell, Metabo, Proxxon) and for the usual prices. So much for flea Bay, at least around this neck of the woods.

So I looked at the Swiss equivalent, Ricardo.ch, and lo and behold I did find some secondhand items, but again for the usual models from the usual suspects plus some no-name cheap Chinese stuff.  Prices, whilst sometime gratifyingly low, did not include postage and because these were (supposedly) private sellers came with limited redress. I did find, however, two amazing tablesaw bargains, really high quality items - the only drawback being they were both professional woodworkers/carpenters models from producers of equipment for the trade with a suitably high price tag to match: SFr.12,000 and SFr.10,000 - probably a bargain for the professional workshop but too expensive and far too big for my needs!

It does seem that the Swiss generally don’t “do“ secondhand - although that is a possibly iffy conclusion based on my circle of friends and acquaintances and the relatively low numbers of Brockenstube (which handle second-hand goodsj around here. When I met Mrs ID who, in many things, is typically Swiss, she was appalled to learn that a goodly number of my book collection were second hand tomes. For her (and her family), old things were inherited (furniture, houses, multinational corporations :laugh::D….), whilst new things (books, records, clothes…..) were bought new.

iD

p.s. this seeming aversion to buying secondhand stuff is, of course, not at all present when it comes to antiques - although it does seem from my limited experience with the antiques trade that the prices of antiques in Switzerland are so high that you could make a fair penny buying antiques from the UK (which still manages to throw up bargains in that regards) and selling them in Switzerland

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

We are back in snow mode. Rain last night replaced with snow -- maybe 4-6 inches.  The landscaping crew were here by about 2:00 to scrape the driveways and there was a major pile in the middle of the road.  We went out to a couple of shops but otherwise stayed home.  More snow forecast.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

8 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Never ceases to amaze me the number of idiots on the planet - many vying for Darwin Awards whist essentially endangering safety/rescue staff due to their innate idiocy :(

They need either
a) a swift kick in the nuts (sorry sir, I was trying to help you...) or

b) a hefty fine

preferably BOTH!!

You forgot

c) let Nature (and Darwin) take its course.

A few bodies washed up here and there would serve well to remind people that until very recently i) stupidity was frequently fatal and ii) Mother Nature, though often benign and bountiful, is at heart a merciless and ruthless virago.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There is a place in Victoria called Mount Disappointment which is where you may as well go live if you buy many cheap Chinese machine tools however there are one or two exceptions. Several years ago miniature mitre saws were all the rage in the model boat community. You could pay quite  a bit for a Proxxon or whatever but then Chinese knockoffs arrived for about 45 dollars or so. I put on my dubious hat and bought one expecting it to be rubbish but it is actually a Good Thing. Other than the plastic end stop that I replaced with aluminium and the locking  bar which is flexible plastic and so flexes rather than releases its worth the money……

A very good point and an illustrative experience - which is why I am, in certain circumstance and for certain things, willing to take a punt.

The other aspect to buying a cheap Chinese machine is that if you have some hobby/DIY experience you can upgrade bits and pieces on the machine and turn something so-so to something perfectly adequate. And in worst case scenario, you can break it down for parts.

I might revisit the mini-table saw section of Amazon and the local box shifters.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

31 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It does seem that the Swiss generally don’t “do“ secondhand

Really? Here it's a whole subculture. Pre internet days a paper called The Trading Post would come out every Wednesday and every bloke worth their salt would go through it, find  items of interest and  deride the price the seller was asking. 

Depicted with total accuracy in The Castle, which I guess would have totally baffled the Swiss if it got released there.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Yesterday was a day for staying indoors, which I did once I had completed the fodder run before 8 am.  During the afternoon I made a batch of coq au vin and found myself examining the parts of a m*d*l k*t.  How might that develop, one wonders?  I have no plans to go out today.  This will give plenty of time for unspecified pottering, and for catching up on Portaloo's travel programmes, which though called "Great Coastal Railway Journeys" strike me as more coastal than railway.  I see that in the week ahead he is due to visit Barry Island.  I shall be interested to see what he makes of it.

Chris

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not sure if they are still around on Ebay etc ,this is like mine bit mines  in bright orange plastic.  For what youd use it for Its probably one of the few times when Id say go cheap Chinese rather than waste the extra on a decent one, especially since Proxxon want over $300 for theirs...

image.png.96c5b9e8c5a0418f477b042d0923383c.png

Bear just had to take a look at the 'bay - purely out of curiosity, you understand.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393224921867?

The price appears to have doubled, sadly

A snazzy orange colour now, so you don't lose it.  Beware some of those listed (there's plenty) appear to be rated at 110v rather than the UK 220/240v; also beware if they're actually being sent from China cos' you may get stuffed for customs charges - plus if it's DOA then sending it back is a no-no (the link above is UK based).

One thing that is pointed out in some listings is that the saw can only cut mitres in one direction (cos' there's no provision for securing the vice to the right of the blade).  Not a problem for square/rectangular/round/flat material but could be a pain if it's something like a decorative moulding such as picture frame material.

Monkey - is there any chance of easily providing provision for securing the vice on the right? Is the saw baseplate big enough for this on the right?

And are replacement blades easily available? 

Bear mustn't .......I really, really mustn't.....

Puppers......HELP.........

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You forgot

c) let Nature (and Darwin) take its course.

A few bodies washed up here and there would serve well to remind people that until very recently i) stupidity was frequently fatal and ii) Mother Nature, though often benign and bountiful, is at heart a merciless and ruthless virago.

And film the whole saga unfold from start to finish - and show it on the tea-time news....

In other news....

Bear woke at half four (Number 1.....) and then spent the next two hours trying to get back to sleep.  Unsuccessfully.  Next time I'll give up and get up....

Right, coving again today.  Can't waste another day like yesterday. :nono:

SBT's still switched on for our absent LMS Wizard :friends:

- I also note that our resident Model Shop Proprietor from Matlock hasn't put in an appearance lately - hopefully all is well......

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sunny with moon shining still here.

We noted that a village full of antique shops near Adelaide WA had lots of green glass items for sale. Herself collects green glass.. she reckoned if we shipped her collection over there and sold it at the prices shown we could pay for our flights (but only if we travelled cattle class).

Today is an unspecified pottering day. No cricket administrative work will be undertaken. (Hallelujah for that!).

I need to check over the house in case any damage was caused by the win. Our pond in the garden is subsiding.. thenone next door is quite large.. Good!

Stay safe! Enjoy today as much as you can!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine here but spells of rains and moderate winds are forecast.  Hope they stay moderate or even less than that.

Rugby watched and enjoyed last night, quite a good close match.  Today I'll be watching Bath v Leicester providing nothing happens to stop that.

Talk of Uber recently reminded me that last week Abbie and a friend got stung to the tune of £38 for a fare from Epsom to Sutton that would normally cost about £15.   Apparently it was the only cab they could get (at 3.00am) and the thieving scrotes know it.  

After breakfast I shall venture outside and pick up the broken tiles and scan the roof to see if anything else is amiss.  I can't see one part of it from the road though so will have to ask my mate opposite if he can have a look from his loft window. 

Soon be time for my porridge,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, polybear said:

You can't believe that. I was about to say only in america but thought twice as some of our american correspondents might take it personally. 

Talk about making money out of misery. I don't know who is worse the manufacture or the .............., that will buy them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well Eunice made no more noise after last nights post, so we had a relatively good nights sleep, but it’s currently p!ss!ng down here at the moment, so once again, no outdoor activities will be under taken today. I will however, be setting off shortly to collect Ava as she is once again spending the day with us, well mostly with Sheila, as she continues to supervise Ava as she continues with her sewing project. I have no firm plans as such, so I’ll probably ensconce myself on the and do a bit of surfing on the interwebthingy. 

Stay safe, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1