The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I am having a ponder regarding the loft, I think I need to do a feasibility study next weekend before i dive in (or climb up in this case).

I have some more stuff I want to get out of the spare bedroom but i dont want them to go in the garage. Mainly xmas decorations and 4 suitcases. 

The first thing I have to do is see if I can actually physically get in off the ladder due to my knees. Second would be how to board it out as the insulation stands proud of the joists, I could probably use those loft legs then board over the top with chipboard, the next ponderance is normal loft chipboard or styroloft insulated boards. I only need to do a small section to start with I need to get the spare bedroom done so the eldest can move in there then what was his bedroom becomes a study/library. I was going to make my own bookcases but i think it would be cheaper and quicker to use the Ikea Billy range.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Thanks for the info @Erichill16 I am way behind on Barnsley FC news the last I remember was when Simon Davey got the tin tack.

Remember him well, left August 2009.

Unbelievably we’re on our 19th manager/caretaker manager since and I think we’ll be looking for our 20th soon if the chanting from the terraces is anything to go by. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I could probably use those loft legs then board over the top with chipboard,

I have put down about 70 square metres of 200mm insulation so far round the loft. The final 25 sq metres is going to have some boards over the insulation. I bought a couple of boxes of Loftlegs and I am going to start seeing what I can do with them in the next few days. I may have to get some new chipboard as some of the stuff previously used for very loose boarding is a bit tatty. The insulation I bought came from Wickes and it is Knauf 200mm super top up. It is quite soft and I haven’t had any skin problems but a mask is essential, low dust isn’t no dust! All the stuff to be returned to the loft is currently stacked neatly in a bedroom so I have a good idea of how much space I need to use for storage. It has been a bit painful crawling and dragging myself around the loft but the remaining part I can stand up in.

Apparently the first tip for loft legs is to pre drill the mounting holes, I will report back on any other tips.

Tony

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Rest assured I'm going to have it checked out, I must admit its a bit frightening. I'll call 111 tomorrow, probably in the afternoon as Monday mornings they are usually very busy.

111 service operates 24/7.     I'd be phoning them now Phil, it doesn't matter that it's a Sunday night.   At least you can have a chat with a Doctor (not always easy down our GPs!)

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening All,

PhilJ W, hope you get yourself sorted asap and BoD, glad to see you make a cameo appearance.

Strong winds last night and now but the day has been quite calm and spent most of the day in the garden, working.

Mojo lacking and spent most of the evening looking around here.

Anyway I think I need an early night, so

goodnight.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

I guess its a sign of  aging (or maturity! )  when MPG and road tax become the number one reason to own a particular car, or perhaps its a UK thing?

It may be an age thing but I doubt if maturity played much part in my current choice. I wanted something that would be comfortable to drive half way across Europe in a couple of days. We had great plans for holidays in Austria,Slovenia and Italy. We did get a trip to the other end of Austria before Covid reduced our mileage to local trips to the refuse tip. We did have diesel land rovers but I thought with various European rules possibly affecting some of the places we wanted to visit that a petrol engine was a good idea. To get a petrol vehicle with the comfy seats did mean it was a 290bhp with decent acceleration too. Road tax will drop next year when it is 5 years old which will be nice. MPG is ok on a run and better not to look at when pootling around town!
So it really was the seats that caused me to buy Land Rover/Range Rover.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

They have been implying that they don’t have control of Oakwell and we’re thinking of moving out of Oakwell and ground sharing with probably Rotherham or Doncaster.

Stadium sharing, while not exactly commonplace, is a regular occurrence in the US.

The two "New York" NFL teams share Met Life Stadium in New Jersey for their home games. The league manages the schedule so they don't have home games on the same weekend and they change all the team-specific vinyl decorations and field painting for each team. The same is true for the two Los Angeles NFL teams who share the new SoFi stadium in LA. Much of the team-specific decorations at SoFi are electronic displays.

Lumen Field in Seattle is shared by the NFL Seahawks and MLS Sounders.

With the pandemic there have been a lot of examples of Canadian hockey, baseball and soccer teams sharing facilities in the US. At one point the San Francisco Forty-Niners NFL team temporarily used the Arizona Cardinals' stadium as their home ground to get around pandemic restrictions in northern California.

The old approach of multipurpose stadiums (shared by a football and a baseball team) has long fallen out of favour. The last(?) one was the Oakland Coliseum which last hosted an NFL game in the 2019 season before the Oakland Raiders moved to Las Vegas. Occasionally baseball stadiums host a college football bowl game, but I don't think there are any more 'permanent' sharing arrangements between professional football and baseball teams.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

28 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

PhilJ W, hope you get yourself sorted asap and BoD, glad to see you make a cameo appearance.

Strong winds last night and now but the day has been quite calm and spent most of the day in the garden, working.

Mojo lacking and spent most of the evening looking around here.

Anyway I think I need an early night, so

goodnight.

It's blowing an absolute hoolie here and rain lashing the windows. Lucas is sleeping in ear defenders

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Once again I had great difficulty log on this morning, after trying for 20 minutes or so, I gave up and went downstairs to the cellar. I’ve used up the last few remaining pieces of plasterboard and lined one side of the storage area under the hall, where the Christmas decorations usually live. This should stop some of the draft that passes between us and our neighbours, I also gave the opposite wall a coat of sealer to stop dust and debris falling on everything. 

Last night I was a little annoyed when I was making my last post, I’d written quite a long treatise, detailing what had happened during the day. I usually write my post using the ‘notes’ app on my iPad, then copy and paste, but last night, for a change, I wrote ‘live’, but then it all disappeared when I hit post button! Pah!!! The gist of it was, Ava did her sewing until the light started to fail. After shed packed up, we all sat and watched ‘Young Sherlock Holmes’! Now here’s a little bit of film trivia for you all, ‘Young Sherlock Holmes’ is the first full length film to feature CGI! After tea last night Sheila and I sat and watched the remake of ‘True Grit’ whilst having a glass of Merlot We’d never seen the original so can’t compare it to that, but we both enjoyed it. 

On Friday afternoon, I placed an order for some new paint brushes with a shop in Stow-On-The-Wold that I’ve been to many times when I’ve been in the area. They arrived yesterday morning, just after 11 o’clock, now that is what I call great service. 

After tea tonight we finished of the bottle of Merlot as we watched another film, tonight’s choice being ‘The Shape Of Water’ which again, we both enjoyed. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...snip... Tart cherry juice seems to be the best thing.  Just remember what you drank though because more than a single glass can colour your next visit to the lavatory with a little concern :O  

Hmmm, a steady diet of beets and beet juice flavored with garlic can yield some interesting results. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

It's blowing an absolute hoolie here and rain lashing the windows. Lucas is sleeping in ear defenders

Can’t sleep over here with the noise. Our bedroom has a vaulted ceiling and two Velux windows so it like sleeping in a drum.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s damage to the property when I get up in the morning. Yesterday when I was pottering in the garden I noticed some of the concrete fence posts had pieces missing. 
Anyway Goodnight again 

Robert

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Some years ago my dearly beloved had bought a new car and I was telling a work colleague about it over lunch. He could be loosely described as a grey nerd.  I told him what car it was and he replied "It's got a terrible  drag coefficient."  I replied "I couldn't  give a flying f*ck, it's fun"  she'd bought an old style Mini Cooper.  The kids still rave about it 25 years later. They called it the roller skate.

Jamie

They used to give the Yank V8's a run for their money in the 60's Bathurst races,  the minis would  catch  and pass them  on the bendy bits and the winding part up and down the mountain before being reeled in and blown away by the bigger engines on conrod straight.

Then the locals got our  act together and produced our own Muscle cars with US style V8 grunt  but with first world handling and Ford and Holden  dominated after that.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

It looks to be a quiet week.  I have an LCGB meeting on Tuesday and apart from learning whether my trip to Mallorca in April will go ahead, that's about it, except for dashing around paying for it, arranging travel insurance and so on.  In happier times the Stafford show would have been at the coming weekend.  The good news is that it ihas been rearranged but the bad news is that it now clashes with something else.  This comes from there being only 52 weekends in a year.

I am duly grateful to Bear for tracking down Paul Veysey.  However, if I were to make contact with him, would he remember me after what must be 40 years?  Let me ponder that a bit longer ...

Chris 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

4.5 hours sleep woken by high winds, long awake as wind increased howling round house increased, eventually got another couple of hours sleep, till Ben the I want out Collie appeared.

It's still blowing a 45 mph Hoolie out there, darn chilly, so I selected a tree to hide behind while Ben did his stuff...

I'm now wrapped up on the sofa defrosting...

Went looking for an MT1 drill chuck online yesterday. Most were £25ish, found one for about £8, hope it's up to the task...

The 66mpg of the 107 would be welcome, but while 90% of the time it will do our purposes, the journey to Scotland, fully loaded might be a bit cramped..

Plans for today,

Shopping trip to GY,  what no work? Yep they've given everyone an extra day off today, officially it's a "wellbeing" day..

Depending when we get back I might make a few more of the mast top wheels while it's all still set up.

Time to err... do nothing for another hour...

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning.  What storm,  it's still and quiet in our cornervof La France Profonde.

Some friends came for tea last night and a very good time was had. The meal was excellent  and they brought a french dice game that we enjoyed. This was followed by Mah Jong.  My father found an old set in a junk shop in the 50's and cleaned and polished it up. It's a proper bamboo and ivory one.  It's probably illegal to sell it now but it was nice to use it last night and our friends enjoyed it.

Today will be garden day with fence repairs to finish off as well as trying to sort the pool cover which has ripped in one place. This now allows the rain water to mix withe the pool water. I will have to work out a repair method so that leaf mulch doesn't go through the hole.  I'll probably use some garden twine to get all the edges of the hole above the waterline thenuse the syphon to get rid of the rainwater before removing the cover.  Anew one will have to be sourced.  Pah.

Anyway, thoughts are eith BoD and PhilJW,  

Stay safe from the tempests.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a very windy rock that may be adrift - not checked yet. 6c feels like 1, sounds horrendous.  Overnight was very windy indeed, but I didn't hear any crashing or banging for a change.  UK cut off once again of course.

Today will mostly be washing, I fear.

Regarding the 'cheat', the archery glen is 24 miles away so not much chance of him using public transport, Bear.  Busses here are mostly well provided, bar up here in the northern tundra wastes.  He lives in the Bright Lights of Ramsey  so only 20 miles for him, he has a car and a van, just too lazy to get his arse into gear by 9.45. No loss.

OK, off to see if the garden has survived the onslaught.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning.  What storm,  it's still and quiet in our cornervof La France Profonde.

Some friends came for tea last night and a very good time was had. The meal was excellent  and they brought a french dice game that we enjoyed. This was followed by Mah Jong.  My father found an old set in a junk shop in the 50's and cleaned and polished it up. It's a proper bamboo and ivory one.  It's probably illegal to sell it now but it was nice to use it last night and our friends enjoyed it.

Today will be garden day with fence repairs to finish off as well as trying to sort the pool cover which has ripped in one place. This now allows the rain water to mix withe the pool water. I will have to work out a repair method so that leaf mulch doesn't go through the hole.  I'll probably use some garden twine to get all the edges of the hole above the waterline thenuse the syphon to get rid of the rainwater before removing the cover.  Anew one will have to be sourced.  Pah.

Anyway, thoughts are eith BoD and PhilJW,  

Stay safe from the tempests.

Jamie

Just for your information ivory goods can be sold if they were made pre 1947 under CITES the Convention of international Trade of Endangered Species

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

After tea last night Sheila and I sat and watched the remake of ‘True Grit’ whilst having a glass of Merlot We’d never seen the original so can’t compare it to that, but we both enjoyed it. 

Bear has seen both - the original many, many times and the remake maybe once or twice.  Whilst the remake does have the advantage of many years advancement in the film industry it doesn't feature John Wayne - which as Momma Bear would say makes it a very, very poor substitute for the real deal....

In other news.......

Bear has a load of towels to wash (I can do that), a dishwasher to empty (I can do that) and lounge walls to inspect/sand as required/fill as required (don't wanna do that - but will). 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13