The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Grizz said:

Tigerburnie I have just gone onto a website to look at what 66mph is etc….we have this speed forecast for here later this evening. 

Just randomly grabbed this site…

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windconvert

Quite a useful converter, thank you to Tim Brice and Todd Hall. 

2FACD3A7-127F-41A9-8FF8-BF929A1E3E29.png.fdfc321b7fabc23885b0a71013498de2.png

No Furlongs per fortnight ?  Most disappointed.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Just for my own amusement I thought I'd see what the Thesaurus had to say ....

image.png.9a2adf2432f4c1115abb79807d7120ac.png

I'm sorry but "Spasm in a bucket"  just made me laugh out loud   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enough already!

Hmmm, "Pr!ck in a bucket"?????????????????????????? :yahoo::yahoo::clapping::yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip...This is a thing apparently. Iguanas live in the palm trees. Their metabolisms slow down in cold weather and if it is cold enough they fall out of the palm trees.

Some of the tropical islanders that I knew called them "Chicken of the Trees". :biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

Morning All,

Has anyone heard from @BoD recently. I’ve not seen any postings from him as of late - perhaps he too has succumbed to a bout of CBATPism* caused by the currently lightening fast incarnation of RMWeb (*Can’t Be A***d To Post). For that matter, @Dave Hunt seems to have been shot down over enemy territory - maybe we’ll get a postcard from the IRCC telling us where he’s imprisoned.

Sorry, @chrisf, but marching in a parade does not constitute exercise - for exercise that provides cardiovascular benefit but spares the joints both swimming and cycling (either stationary or a “real” bike) would do the trick). For muscle tone - there’s a number of exercises one can do at home. There’s no need to join a fitness club and don spandex (now that’s something to contemplate: @chrisf in Rainbow coloured spandex - or not, as the case may be…..).

The bear’s posts seem to be rather subdued recently, is @polybear suffering from LDC deprivation?

I was most surprised to learn that @Gwiwer has gout - I had never thought of him like so:

966D60CA-9191-43D5-85F3-98082F609075.jpeg.1886bfd6d42d8e68358e5ff28ac22614.jpeg
Definitely not a pleasant disease - even if the traditional triggers (Roast Beef, Port, basically rich food and abundant alcohol) are very enjoyable when going in….

I wonder if it’s any consolation to learn that - for centuries - gout was known as the “Disease of Kings” as only the very, very rich could afford the sybaritic lifestyle (and quantities) needed to trigger the disease.

Finally, a belated Happy Birthday to @laurenceb - which leads me to conclude on a philosophical note: life is divided into two parts - one when you look forward to birthdays and the other when you dread birthdays. So when is the tipping point between anticipation and dislike? When you turn 30? 40? 50? 60?

And after 60? Birthdays: an unpleasant reminder of our inevitable mortality or a celebration of survival?

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@Erichill16 has someone stolen Oakwell??

There has been some dispute for several years as to ownership of the ground. It’s very complicated.

When the club went bankrupt in the early 2000s the council bought the ground. When the Cryne family bought the club I think they also bought a  share in the ground. When Patrick Cryne died, the club was sold to an American investment/sport/leisure group.

They have been implying that they don’t have control of Oakwell and we’re thinking of moving out of Oakwell and ground sharing with probably Rotherham or Doncaster.

All very unsavoury and complicated. 
It’s only the fans that truly care and now we are just spectators at any other corporate event. The corporation spends as little money as necessary to  put enough bums on seats to make the financial model work.

Rant over.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Has anyone heard from @BoD recently. I’ve not seen any postings from him as of late - perhaps he too has succumbed to a bout of CBATPism* caused by the currently lightening fast incarnation of RMWeb (*Can’t Be A***d To Post). For that matter, @Dave Hunt seems to have been shot down over enemy territory - maybe we’ll get a postcard from the IRCC telling us where he’s imprisoned.

@BoD very sadly lost Momma BoD very recently - I suspect this may well explain his absence.  Hang in there, BoD.....:friends: 

There’s no need to join a fitness club and don spandex (now that’s something to contemplate: @chrisf in Rainbow coloured spandex - or not, as the case may be…..).

Will this do?

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/adult-unisex-rainbow-stripe-unitard-mardi-gras-lgbt-lgbtq-pride-gay/p-64678107-130516382?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vL2uIDZ9QIVcpBoCR2P9QI6EAQYBiABEgLXjvD_BwE

.....and a little number for the evening.......

https://www.maskworld.com/english/products/costumes/theatrical-theatre-210/funny-costumes/suitmeister-rainbow-party-suit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pSGk_7Y9QIVhJ3VCh01PQg4EAQYBiABEgIntPD_BwE

The bear’s posts seem to be rather subdued recently, is @polybear suffering from LDC deprivation?

Always.....

Though I do in fact have an unopened LDC in the cake safe, but have yet to open it.....

In other news.......

Bear pondered starting prepping the walls - or picking up the leaves in the front garden (a loooooooong overdue job).  The leaves win - yet I'm sure I'll live to regret that choice when I'm doing an impression of an icicle.  After that I think I'll prep the lounge for starting on the walls - furniture out of the way and properly covered then refit one of the doorway dust guards (one had to be removed during plastering).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Jamie mentioned Tom Lehrer yesterday.  It reminded me of how I came to make my debut on commercial radio.  About half a lifetime ago I was listening to Hereward Radio, broadcasting from Peterborough.  When the  presenter, Paul Veysey, asked if anyone out there had any Tom Leher records I got straight on the phone.  Two weeks later I guested on his programme.  There are many worse ways of spending a Saturday evening!  After the programme Paul said to me that he hoped we could work together again.  Needless to say it did not happen.  Paul's programme was taken off and he "went on holiday", whatever that means.  I never did find out what happened to him.

Is this the same man?  There is mention of him emigrating to Oz some years ago on the 'net, though the above link suggests he's back in the UK now:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/352439/car-posters-classic-car-art-years-gone

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Belated birthday greetings to Laurence. 

Quite frosty here but the sky is blue and the shine is sunning.  Currently 2°C and sunny spells and light winds increasing later are forecast.

Late up today due to watching recorded stuff on TV until about 1.30.  This did not include rugby as the match time was shifted from 3 pm to 7 pm because of the weather up North and although I changed the "box" it failed to record.  As I now know the result probably won't watch it when they show it again  today.  I will be watching a match this afternoon to see if TB's team can continue with their winning ways.

The Boss is now on parade and the usual Sunday fried breakfast has been offered providing I "get a move on."  I will comply so farewell for now.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

@BoD very sadly lost Momma BoD very recently - I suspect this may well explain his absence.  Hang in there, BoD.....:friends: 

Clearly BoD has an awful lot of unhappy duties to fulfil at the moment, But I was concerned that a recent intemperate post by another ER may have caused him to stay away (although the response to that from the ER community has hopefully convinced BoD that he’s definitely wanted on here)

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Yes! Most definitely. So chi-chi, so OTT, so outrageous and so very, very @chrisf :smoke:

It would certainly be a talked about event if he were to go to the next Pride march in rainbow boots, rainbow socks, rainbow bobble hat, a rainbow tie (loosely and casually tied nonchalantly around his wrist) whilst in rainbow spandex.:o

I await the “News At 10” filmed report! :jester:

• Like 16

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes! Most definitely. So chi-chi, so OTT, so outrageous and so very, very @chrisf :smoke:

It would certainly be a talked about event if he were to go to the next Pride march in rainbow boots, rainbow socks, rainbow bobble hat, a rainbow tie (loosely and casually tied nonchalantly around his wrist) whilst in rainbow spandex.:o

I await the “News At 10” filmed report! :jester:

Close, Flavio, perilously close!  Gentle readers will be relieved to learn that I have no plans to venture anywhere near Spandex but possibly alarmed that I have everything else.  I had been wondering how to marry The Tie with the [non rainbow] T shirt.  Wrapping it round a wrist is thinking outside the box par excellence.  Lest anyone be wondering, there are bound to be more outrageous outfits than mine on the day, for many marchers are far more flamboyant than I could ever be.  The parade is due to take place on Saturday 2nd July.  If I am not in it, I should be about somewhere.  There is usually TV coverage, particularly if it is a slow news day.

Chris 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Is this the same man?  There is mention of him emigrating to Oz some years ago on the 'net, though the above link suggests he's back in the UK now:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/352439/car-posters-classic-car-art-years-gone

I do believe it is, though he did not have a beard 40-odd years ago!  Wow ...

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-land. The bugs seem to have gone, and the constipation but something else has cropped up that might be far more serious. I've noticed that one of my testicles has swollen to more than twice its normal size. There is no pain (unless I catch it in something) but its a bit uncomfortable when I try to sit down. If it doesn't go away in the next couple of days I'll go to my GP.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Where's the eye bleach?:scared:

Finally many happy returns to @laurenceb

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13