The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We have a whole delivery missing today. We normally use Waitrose and they have been great throughout the last couple of years but there are a few things they don’t sell so we put together an Ocado order for today. At 6pm yesterday Aditi got a message stating our delivery had been cancelled as they couldn’t put a charge on our card. No idea why, the  card is fine, no one else has a problem. We have resubmitted it for a delivery tomorrow. The payment procedure said the card was verified too. Not impressed for our first use of their service. 

It may have been the card-issuer intervening. We have used Ocado weekly for around three years now. Every so often the order doesn’t go through without me doing something. Typically I have to verify the purchase by means of responding to a bank-generated message and entering a code delivered to my phone. 

On the whole we have been happy with them. There are occasional subs and out-of-stocks but fewer than when we used High Street supermarket deliveries.  There are too many split milk bottles (often with collateral damage to other items) and they are getting noticeably more expensive. I have considered ditching them for Tesco but the Ocado app is more user-friendly and intuitive. It also allows you to book your delivery slot first rather than shopping for as long as it takes before finding there are no suitable slots available.

Ocado also offers automated and guaranteed weekly slot-booking for loyalty customers.  Tesco doesn’t use carrier bags. Ocado does, charges you the required 10p each but accepts them back for recycling and refunds you the 10p’s. 

I have found it necessary to call Ocado customer services a few times. On every occasion my call (an actual phone call not a web-chat with a bot) was answered within a couple of minutes by knowledgable and empathetic operators. My problems were dealt with fully in a single call, with suitable apologies, and when appropriate with immediate refunds. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Spent the last hour clearing my E-mail in-tray, its only been about six hours since I last done it. No dodgy ones but I'll have to trim the Farcebook notifications. Now to put the dinner on and then finish watching the Imphal documentary.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

On the whole we have been happy with them.

I hope we are too. We will be using them for occasional orders where Waitrose don’t stock something. The order for tomorrow is “on its way” which is further than the first attempt. Aditi’s Mum and sister have been using Ocado for years and now do the opposite to us and use Waitrose just for things they used to like when Waitrose and Ocado were linked.  Aditi’s sister really likes the ability to reserve regular delivery slots. We don’t care, as we don’t go anywhere regularly now.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

This is a good one but very disturbing on a similar subject

Its hard to overstate the animosity and hatred many Australians held the Japanese in up until the '70's and into the early  '80's.

Two generations, those who served and the offspring of those  who suffered kept it alive that long.  Japanese were often banned from RSL (Returned Servicemens  League, at the time  ) clubs in regional areas, and Japanese cars and consumer goods were derided and shunned by many.  With the passing of these  generations it has faded but I can definitely remember many older people I knew in the late 60's and 70's who would never dream of interacting with Japanese people. 

In June 1942 4 midget Japanese submarines entered Sydney harbour and inflicted some damage to shipping, mainly a US warship, USS Chicago  and  a ferry. SS kuttabul .  All submarines were lost, either sunk or mechanical failure and some of   the bodies of the Japanese submariners  were recovered.

. They were cremated at Sydney 's Eastern Suburbs Crematorium with full naval honours. Rear Admiral Muirhead-Gould, in charge of Sydney Harbour defences, along with the Swiss Consul-General and members of the press, attended the service. The admiral's decision to accord the enemy a military funeral was criticised by many Australians but he defended his decision to honour the submariners' bravery. He also hoped that showing respect for the dead men might help to improve the conditions of the many Australians in Japanese prisoner of war camps.  Which it obviously didnt.

German people in contrast  never suffered the same hostility, nor did Italians who made up a major part of postwar immigration here and were welcomed.  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am going to install insulation over the existing glass fibre in the loft. The stuff I bought is pre cut for 400 or 600mm joist spacing. Most of ours are 600 but some are 500 and there are some odd sizes. However I noticed from the instructions on the pack that I should lay my new stuff at right angles to the existing joists, so it would seem I don’t have to worry about the joust spacing. I will leave it for a while anyway, I don’t feel like crawling round the loft at the moment. 

Do make certain you wear a mask and use gloves when you handle it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

...snip... nor did Italians who made up a major part of postwar immigration here and were welcomed.  

There is a great book on the subject "They're A Weird Mob" that I have read a couple of times. Very funny and very probably true.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing "r".
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... From the BBC: Anti-vax protests: ‘Sovereign citizens’ fight UK Covid vaccine rollout ... What??? ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/01/18/premature-promises/

That's what these morons call themselves amongst other things.

the BBC report on them is here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59870550

Very nasty!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Thee is a great book on the subject "They're A Weird Mob" that I have read a couple of times. Very funny and very probably true.

Which was in turn made into a film, directed by British Director Michael Powell, of "Battle Of the River Plate" and "Ill met By Moonlight" fame.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Thee is a great book on the subject "They're A Weird Mob" that I have read a couple of times.

More famously a movie.

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

German people in contrast never suffered the same hostility, nor did Italians who made up a major part of postwar immigration here and were welcomed.  

I'm not so sure about that. The quote here from "They're a weird mob" is pretty representative.

Post-war Australia was very keen to offer inexpensive, even free, one-way cruises to Europeans (and not just British). Hence the large immigrant enclaves of Italians, Serbs, Greeks, etc. Melbourne is said to have the largest Greek population outside Athens. Like the experiences of most immigrant communities everywhere, it was the generation born in Australia who found greater acceptance.

The wine industry in Australia (particularly South Australia) was founded by Germans, though this pre-dates the 20th century, with immigration from Prussia in the late 1830s. EDIT: Wikipedia

From 1850 until World War I, German settlers and their descendants comprised the largest non-British or Irish group of Europeans in Australia.

My ancestry on my paternal side is German. My father does not speak of the family backstory. I suspect he was shunned/bullied/I don't know what exactly, when he was a youngster. He would have been around seven at the conclusion of hostilities. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

‘Sovereign citizens’ 

40 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

... the BBC report on them is here.

From that article:

The sovereign citizen movement originated in anti-government protests in the US in the 1970s and rose in prominence along with the militia movement in the 1990s. It was in that decade that the UK version of the movement surfaced.

The term was re-popularized in protests of anti-pandemic measures (vaccines, masks, etc) in the US last two years. Then it popped up in Australia. Not surprising to see it with the same sort of people in the UK.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Links
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm not so sure about that. The quote here from "They're a weird mob" is pretty representative.

I could never imagine that dialogue being written for a Japanese character rather than an Italian though,  let alone having a Japanese character arriving in post war Australia and getting  the same sympathetic treatment, (albeit having to put up with a bit of casual racism! )

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not surprising to see it with the same sort of people in the UK.

Saw somewhere a video that a proponent of this kind of rubbish  in the UK (maybe Ireland...) put up of himself  as he's stopped by the world most patient copper for speeding and proceeds to harangue the copper with crap like "I don't need to follow any laws I don't believe in!" or something.

Has a horrendous conclusion though as he later jumps on the antivax wagon and posts film of himself bursting into hospital to "Rescue" a poor gullible old fellow suffering from COVID because the "hospital is killing him!" .

An amazingly patient doctor attempts  to pursuade the old gent to stay for his own good but the dingbat  loudmouth sovereign guy gets his way. Posts a later video "Proving"  that  the old guy is getting better already now he's not in hospital , despite him gasping for breathe in the video. 

. Poor old guy goes back to hospital a couple of days later  after his condition worsens and then dies. .

Dingbat Sovereign idiot should get charged with murder,

Here it is, found it on the sorryantivaxer site.

Prepare to be outraged polybear!

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/post/joe-mccarron-donegal-ireland-unvaccinated-removed-from-hospital-back-in-icu

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Do make certain you wear a mask and use gloves when you handle it.

53 minutes ago, pH said:

… and preferably goggles as well.

I will do so. I have got some proper goggles and a good mask with the correct  filters for dust. I’ll wear a bump cap as well, as much of the loft requires me to crawl about. This new insulation isn’t as bad as the old stuff I am covering but I really don’t want to damage my eyes and lungs. When I stuffed a lot of insulation in the garage roof it was given to me by a neighbour. He said I could ony have it if I used a mask. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2