The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

It seems Tony has probably had a worse experience with one Ocado delivery than we have had with them in the entire 13 and a bit years we have been using them - we started when Mrs Lurker was heavily pregnant and not very well with Younger Lurker. The emotions were really playing havoc because I remember her gushing "it's transformed my life" after the second delivery! I don't think we have ever had a delivery cancelled and only one has been so late that it had to be rearranged for later in the day - they'd rung re a problem in the depot. Maybe we have just been lucky.

I know they deliver regularly round here as the people over the road have an Ocado and a Waitrose delivery every week. I suspect a glitch between their system and the bank system. I hope it goes through as Ocado sell Irish black pudding and Waitrose don’t. As Ocado stuff comes from a big warehouse rather than a local store there is also a lot of stuff for Asian cooking just not available in Southend. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Afternoon all

Busy morning taken eldest for his lunch out and then his covid jab we now waiting to pick youngest up from school.

Tools 

I have a cheap sander I bought from Toolstation 4 years ago its good. I had a black and decker sander by the sheets needed were too expensive. I just buy Wickes own rolled sandpaper its actually Liberty Green paper it says so on the reverse side.

I bought some Forstner bits from lidl I have to use them in my SDS drill with keyed chuck otherwise you could ride bare ar5ed to London on them. 

I have some One handed clamps from aldi and they are really good decent weight and do stay put.

I have a Argos/Homebase table saw I got half price its ok I had to replace the fence with some aluminium angle and use deep throat clamps with it.

My router is an Argos "nasty" I bought it to see how i got on with it its ok but i use quality cutting bits with it.

Biscuit jointer that's a B&q own brand no problems.

Sliding mitre saw Wickes own brand I think they are Draper again no problems 

Plunge saw and tracks B&q own brand no problems 

Jigsaw Bosch SDS takes both types of shank of blades 

I think starting out with the cheaper tools is ok you find out how to use them and the limitations to them.

It also depends how often you use them if you use all the time they ain't going to last as well as the premium brands but do you pay eg £300 for a top notch Trend router to use occasionally or the £60 Argos but use proprietary cutters 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I would be horrified to find that tinned anchovies were not available :-)

Chris

They are absolutely indispensable if you are cooking Spaghetti all Puttanesca (as are the olives and tomatoes).

It knocks spag-bol into a cocked hat! (see: https://www.giallozafferano.com/recipes/spaghetti-puttanesca-tomato-anchovy-olive-and-garlic-spaghetti.html or https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/spaghetti-alla-puttanesca-recipe).

Very more-ish

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

....or the £60 Argos but use proprietary cutters 

I think you've put your finger on it - the tool is only as good as the cutting blades or bits. I would assume even a top-of-the-line Makita would struggle with a "cheap and nasty" blade/bit.

I'm beginning to see a way forward - buy the cheap tool but purchase high quality blades and bits

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

It seems Tony has probably had a worse experience with one Ocado delivery than we have had with them in the entire 13 and a bit years we have been using them - we started when Mrs Lurker was heavily pregnant and not very well with Younger Lurker. The emotions were really playing havoc because I remember her gushing "it's transformed my life" after the second delivery! I don't think we have ever had a delivery cancelled and only one has been so late that it had to be rearranged for later in the day - they'd rung re a problem in the depot. Maybe we have just been lucky.

I assume you are referring to the Ocado delivery and not the baby.:jester:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

They are absolutely indispensable if you are cooking Spaghetti all Puttanesca (as are the olives and tomatoes).

It knocks spag-bol into a cocked hat! (see: https://www.giallozafferano.com/recipes/spaghetti-puttanesca-tomato-anchovy-olive-and-garlic-spaghetti.html or https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/spaghetti-alla-puttanesca-recipe).

Very more-ish

I'd never tried olives until I went to Greece for a holiday. There the black olives were fresh and as big as plums, absolutely delicious. Unfortunately the ones you get here in the UK aren't a patch on the Greek ones.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

All part of my cunning plan. By reversing the polarity of the neutron flow I am now able to captive breed them. (as seen  by Jr in the picture) I will soon have an army and be unstoppable. <insert maniacal laughter here> 

Ummm. How do you reverse the polarity of a neutron flow. Neutrons not having a charge and all that. Thinks: Dr. Evil has been thwarted again!

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I would be horrified to find that tinned anchovies were not available :-)

Chris

Apart from my Friday fish and chips I'm not a great consumer of fish (I think it was the pervading smell of my Mum boiling rock salmon for the cat when I was a kid that put me off) but oily fish is very healthy so I have it in salads (or if I'm being less healthy add them to Pizzas) If I can find an ASDA or LIDL  bag to tease the Ealing petty bourgeoisie with I may have to go to Waitrose to restock but, especially with the current galloping level of Covid in the borough, I'm still trying to avoid shopping more than once a week.

To be fair, the tinned anchovies do go out of stock quite often even in normal times so, when they are available, I usually buy a load of them.

Not being able to get lemon juice and tissues is rather more serious.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

"Bless me Father iD, but Bear has sinned....."

"What troubles you, my child, cub?"

"Well I went into the Co-op with the very best intentions of not buying ANY cake......"

"And?"

"Well all of a sudden I spotted four Puff Pastry Mince Pies in a box......and they were a mere ONE PENNY a box......:yahoo_mini:"

In my defence I would like to point out that they had OODLES of them - and Bear only bought one box (yes, really)....as I already have a box in the cupboard....

I did happen to note they still had McVities Mince Pie Flavour Choccy Biccies marked up at 25p a pack - but they go thru' the till at 10p.  *Oops*.

In my defence I would like to point out that I've just tested my very first, despite having *some* packets in the cupboard for over a week now.  And yes, they really, really do taste of mince pies....

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

"Bless me Father iD, but Bear has sinned....."

Bless Me Father ;) .... from one of the most exciting live bands it has yet been my privilege to see.   Their studio recordings do no justice at all to their barnstorming live performances.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Ummm. How do you reverse the polarity of a neutron flow. Neutrons not having a charge and all that. Thinks: Dr. Evil has been thwarted again!

It is the classic Dr Who techno-babble that has been used since John Pertwee's day. It does work with Daleks and Kamados. :D

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

In response to @iL Dottores comments about Japanese woodworking videos I thought I would share this with you

Its not my favourite one that has been removed these guys were making beams for a Shinto temple when they finished it was fantastic the wood almost looked buttery they used loads of different sized planes and saws but no screws nails or glue.

There is obviously no H&S in this video above it makes me cringe at times.

Add a couple of Japanese saws to the list Flavio mine came from Clas Ohlsons. Yup buying Japanese saws from a Danish shop in Doncaster you couldn't write it

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

@PupCam do you mean empaglifozin?

It would appear that I get giddy occasionally as taking them means I don't  need any Ramipril to keep my blood pressure down.. the two are doing a great job of getting my BP to less than the usual level  (144 by 76 typical.. currently mine is 120 by 62).

Baz

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Two neutrons walking down the street.

One says to the other, "You look a bit glum."

Other one says, "Yeah, I think I've lost an electron."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm positive."

Undergone beta decay to become a proton. It's overlooked the neutrino given out too.

The joke is usually told of atoms, which works rather better, sine the neutron doesn't "have" an electron before it undergoes the decay.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have added that to my ever growing watch later queue I then cast to the tv when there is nothing else on 

This is a good one but very disturbing on a similar subject

I had to put on a couple of Terry Wogan reading the Janet and John stories afterwards 

For the uninitiated 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

@PupCam do you mean empaglifozin?

It would appear that I get giddy occasionally as taking them means I don't  need any Ramipril to keep my blood pressure down..

No I think it's a .....paglifozin but not "Em" - I can't recall off hand what it actually is (and I can never pronounce it even when it's sitting in front of me!) but presume it is of the same family or even the same drug with a different trade name.

I moved off of the Ramapril because it didn't agree with me.  I think Rampril is the first choice ........................... because it's the cheapest?

Alan

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I had to put on a couple of Terry Wogan reading the Janet and John stories afterwards 

For the uninitiated 

Absolute classic!   I've got a CD of those somewhere (although they are all on YT anyway these days) :)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PupCam said:

moved off of the Ramapril because it didn't agree with me.

Once the ramipril cough side effect stopped I haven’t had any problems with it, it does what it is supposed to though even on a half normal adult dose due to my slightly dodgy kidneys. The bisoprolol to slow heart rate down did cause noticeable effects every time the dose was increased but soon settled down. The heart failure nurses were very good and said there were plenty of alternatives to try if something didn’t suit me. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 13