The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A'noon.

Reading a couple of posts above  it seems that we need to change things from "doing a GDB" to "doing a Keith or a Puppers!"

Various tasks domestic completed I have, we've visited the cricket club and deemed it fit for purpose. Very fit actually as it's a really nice clubhouse.  It's the first time I've driven the car for over 3 weeks but I seemed to be able to remember what to do!  :scratchhead:

I've even had a haircut although that didn't actually use up much of my allotted life-span.  :rolleyes: :no:

The Boss is preparing lunch and I will probably put my feet up and watch a film this afternoon.  'Tis a hard life.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our old cat used the same methodology as Tony's Robbie...

Our fire is only used for flame effect but Robbie did seem to like stretching out next to it. He was about 12 in that photo and still very active but it wasn’t until later that year he started having mobility problems. However the “not approved for dogs” medication worked really well and gave him another happy, active year. I did read the patient information leaflet out to him but he didn’t seem bothered. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

I have taken the car to the jet wash this morning and blasted the mud and salt off it. By the time I have done the pm school run it will be as bad again. I normally take it to one of the Eastern European car wash but the amount of mud on the road from construction sites is ridiculous even though they have sweepers going over it all the time

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Off out again soon to solicitors to alter our wills.......

It's Poly with a "Y", not with an "AR" :laugh:

Right, must get my little furry ar5e in gear and crack on with, er, stuff.....

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I tend to avoid those parts of the forum. To be honest I just tend to stay on here and The Night  Mail

Indeed.  One could easily drown in froth these days.  Such places are best avoided.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben...

Downstairs

Living room..

Favourite place, lying alongside me on the Sofa, facing SWMBO, so He can make sure she doesn't disappear.

Second favourite in his bed, by the door to the conservatory,

Third place in his safety cage if there are nasty noises..

Fourth place, just outside of the living room at the bottom of the stairs if he's got too hot.

Upstairs

lying on the floor at the bottom of the bed

or if one of us in the bathroom, lying alongside the bed watching the bathroom door.

once we are settled,

Craft room on the bed settee head on a pillow,

nasty noises, in his safety area under a desk

Mobile home

On the sofa in the corner, or hiding in the shower if there are nasty noises,

Muddle railway shed,

Lying by whoever's in there, or if there are nasty noises hiding in a big cardboard box in a corner..

Outside

Lying in the garden wherever he can watch both of us from.. Nasty noises or too hot he hides under the landrover.. 

Bear wonders....

Is Ben the scaredy Collie just naturally, er, scaredy - or did he have pre-Q experience (a rescue doggie perhaps?) that explains it?:heart_mini:

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I tend to avoid those parts of the forum. To be honest I just tend to stay on here and The Night  Mail

As does Bear, with a scan of Tony Wright's thread plus occasional jaunts to others of interest (Smaller Suppliers, Questions and Hush Hush; I also have one entitled "Weathering Locos and Wagons open & ready to read - though rumour has it the OP may be a bit of a Scallywag.....:laugh:)

In other news.....

Lounge leccies disconnected/bagged,stowed - as much as possible anyway - one or two will wait until next week cos' they're still needed (light switches come in pretty handy, for example).  Also "stuff" removed to the shed, bins out ready for truck tomorrow, a few checks on the Bearmobile (including bungin' that gallon of fuel I had stashed in the shed from the last Petrol Shortage Caper into the tank before it goes off).

I also tried to tell a certain Gas & Leccy Company that Bear's Gas Meter is bvggered (the numbers aren't increasing, despite using gas).  Well the expert at the other end of the line thought she knew best - claiming all was ok, so who am I to argue?  I did try.......

And finally.....shamelessly stolen from another post....

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear wonders....

Is Ben the scaredy Collie just naturally, er, scaredy - or did he have pre-Q experience (a rescue doggie perhaps?) that explains it?:heart_mini:

As does Bear, with a scan of Tony Wright's thread plus occasional jaunts to others of interest (Smaller Suppliers, Questions and Hush Hush; I also have one entitled "Weathering Locos and Wagons open & ready to read - though rumour has it the OP may be a bit of a Scallywag.....:laugh:)

In other news.....

Lounge leccies disconnected/bagged,stowed - as much as possible anyway - one or two will wait until next week cos' they're still needed (light switches come in pretty handy, for example).  Also "stuff" removed to the shed, bins out ready for truck tomorrow, a few checks on the Bearmobile (including bungin' that gallon of fuel I had stashed in the shed from the last Petrol Shortage Caper into the tank before it goes off).

I also tried to tell a certain Gas & Leccy Company that Bear's Gas Meter is bvggered (the numbers aren't increasing, despite using gas).  Well the expert at the other end of the line thought she knew best - claiming all was ok, so who am I to argue?  I did try.......

And finally.....shamelessly stolen from another post....

Right turn Clyde 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Tip of the Day (as recommended by Martin Lewis).....

Do fellow ER'ers recall mention in the press a few months back of a house in Luton that was sold, only not by the owner?  The true owner (a Vicar IIRC, and living in the West Country(?) ) was contacted by neighbours in Luton to say there was someone in the house - so he went to investigate.  It seems there were new owners in the house, only they hadn't purchased the house from him.....

Well you can now get informed by HM Registry if any searches take place on your property - or indeed others that you may not own (so you could monitor a vulnerable relative's house, or perhaps if a house is part-owned by you and an "ex" who needs your permission to sell); here's the link:

https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/

Bear Towers is now being monitored - and not only by MI5, MI6 and Interpol.... 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

7 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

Up at the crack of sparrows (well for us at least) dropping a wheeled metal box off at the local garage for service and MOT.   

It was tricky getting in; -2C and all the doors frozen solid but slowly, slowly with the de-icer catchy monkey!

Back home for breakfast and, as it's a beautiful day prepare to get Mondog loaded with old shed.    Walk into bathroom, slip on recently washed floor and go-over on my right ankle.  Two impact points; left knee and left elbow accompanied by loud thud as Puppers ends up in a big heap on the floor (I must stop doing this whatever the cause!).  Right ankle really painful and currently slightly swollen.    I can move my foot and toes and just about put weight on it.     We await developments ......

Consequently, Tidy Tip runs cancelled and I feel a day of sitting down is in order.     Perhaps I'll investigate the use of the Canon camera body with the Sharpcap astronomy software I use.    A quick Google last night revealed that it's not just plug the USB lead in :mad:   Oh well, it's something to do and as you know, I enjoy doing "technical".       With a bit of luck that the sky remains clear, and assuming the foot is OK later, perhaps I might be able to have a better look at the moon this evening?

TTFNQ

Alan

That's three! Let's hope that's the last. And none of them involving GBBob, strange.:o

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I got back from Tess Coes this afternoon my feet felt really sore but an hours eyelid inspection seems to have eased things. The last couple of days they have had professional cleaners in next door, the place must have been left in a right mess by the last tenants. Time for dinner, bangers and mash tonight.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I got back from Tess Coes this afternoon my feet felt really sore but an hours eyelid inspection seems to have eased things. The last couple of days they have had professional cleaners in next door, the place must have been left in a right mess by the last tenants. Time for dinner, bangers and mash tonight.

When next door was rented out many moons ago, the night before the owners moved back in they discovered it was in a right state (and their furniture was arriving next morning).  They had to bung the removals guys a wedge to sit about for half a day whilst they got three commercial cleaners it to "do their best"; one of the guys had to keep going outside cos' the smell was making him feel sick.  They cleaned the oven three times with commercial cleaning products - and it still looked like it needed a bl00dy good clean; basically it was trashed.

Fortunately the smell didn't penetrate Bear Towers - perhaps it was masked by the smell of the wakky bakky......

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Wills getting drafted - couldn't spell 'Polar' properly.  Came out as 'Donk'.  

It was a typically Manx conversation, one item left to an individual is an original oil painting of a TT winning sidecar in action, by a famous autosports artist, that has considerable value.  Elderly Advocate (solicitor) even knew what year TT is was...(1966).  Impressed.  Doubt we get discount though!

Blood letting over for the day, thankfully.

Tony, the cat (Buell, she was a Russian Blue) was edging away from the log burner at that point, she would start almost under it until her fur was just about smoking!  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Erichill16 was it planned or have you had enough?

It was planned as I’d had enough. I  didn’t put my name forward for the post as treasurer at the 2020 AGM after 20 years in the post. I was co-opted on to the committee in May 2020 as chairman  and I’ve now REALLY had enough so didn’t but my name forward. 
Glad I did as the business meeting that followed the AGM needed a firm hand.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Yesterday . . . . . . .about arfa pint of blud drained from me left arm . . . . AND . . .a you're in? sample . . .

Now then . . .I'm owa the Myun . 'cos iv'e just bowt a pair of 34" Wranglers . . . and they fit . . .

Diabetical nurse measured my waist as . . . . . . 40 inches . . . .Wha! ! ! ! !

Any explanations gratefully received . . . 

Weather  . . .Warrmish, sunny . . 

Mood . . . why  . . . the knaas . . . . 

Outlook . . . Keep smiling , all . . . . .

John

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

53 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

iv'e just bowt a pair of 34" Wranglers . . . and they fit . . .

Diabetical nurse measured my waist as . . . . . . 40 inches . . . .Wha! ! ! ! !

Any explanations gratefully received . . . 

It's 'normal' for the size printed on denim jeans to be considerably smaller than the actual waist measurement. It's a deliberate piece of feel-good marketing. (It can also depend on whether you wear them more on the hips than the natural waist and belly shape/size.)

My current jeans are perhaps 3" - 4" smaller than my measured waist. Having said that, a 6" variation is unusual. Perhaps the nurse rounded up a bit?

If you have a tape measure, lie the jeans flat and measure the width at the waist and double it for an approximation of waist size. I expect it to be more than 34".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not really, there's a lot of froth being generated with no real purpose.

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I tend to avoid those parts of the forum. To be honest I just tend to stay on here ...

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Indeed.  One could easily drown in froth these days.  Such places are best avoided.  

The manufacturer pages were what brought me to RMweb. I once spent a lot of time there. There was a point where the suds dispenser, and the didactic self-appointed experts* got to be too much.

* Who may even be 'correct' but the endlessness of it all was too much for me. (There are some voices whose input I respect and appreciate.)

I rarely visit them now.  I did see an email from the manufacturer in question with the announcement. I had actually completely forgotten that there are usually new announcements near the beginning of the year.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11